Icrontic on Team Fortress 2

Comments

• QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    edited October 2007
    Shwaip... get going on this server!!!! You LAN job depends on it!!!

oh, and would you assist with the LAN Gaming? Good... no arguments then!!!
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited October 2007
    http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showpost.php?p=4734618&postcount=3

I'll see if I can figure out how to get the l00nix server working.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited October 2007
    I can't and won't install windows on a server at the datacenter.

Can't because I won't pirate it, and I'm not going to (for security reasons) install a desktop OS on a dedicated server (such as XP), and certainly won't spend the $400+ for win2k3 server.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited October 2007
    I'm just saying.

/me shrugs

TF2 server installing and updating on l00nix right now.
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    edited October 2007
    One problem is that if you choose to be an engineer and set up a good defense point, you are basically stuck being an engineer for the rest of that game, since if you change classes, everything you built is destroyed :(

Which is why if you want to set up a gun really fast, you could get two other players to be an engineer with you temporarily. They can bring their 200 metal out to your gun, then change to something else, and you've got one engineer with a level 3 gun in a matter of seconds...
  • HawkHawk Fla Icrontian
    edited October 2007
    CB Droege wrote:
    Which is why if you want to set up a gun really fast, you could get two other players to be an engineer with you temporarily. They can bring their 200 metal out to your gun, then change to something else, and you've got one engineer with a level 3 gun in a matter of seconds...

That's the point I was trying to make.....
    What he said....
    And the level 3 gun made by the original engineer will stay level 3 after the other 2 players switched to new player class because the original engineer stays an engineer.
  • WinfreyWinfrey waddafuh Missouri Icrontian
    edited October 2007
    I'll be on after my lab to post some tips for TF2 that I know.:coffee:

god i'm tired.
    edited October 2007
    Ok here is some tips/strategies for the soldier class that I have found while playing TF2. I tried to give general advice and also map specific stuff.

*sorry long post!
    1. The Soldier: My personal fav, and consequently the most insight I can give is for this class:

Health: 200

Weapons: Bazooka, Shotty, and shovel.

Strats: When playing the Soldier there is no specific duty you are restrained to nor is there anything that you can't accomplish as long as you have the skill. I have found that when playing as the Soldier you must take advantage of your ability to rocket jump! By simply aiming the Bazooka towards your toes and taking a jump just before firing your rocket you can fly to great heights which not only gives you a position advantage, but also increases the damage of your rockets by making your shots more likely to hit enemies for splash damage. Also on any map that you are being healed by a medic as you head towards enemy lines, shoot yourself a few times with the Bazooka. If you do it right (i.e. keep your health low most of the time) You will get the medic's ubercharge up quickly (around 60 sec). Also you cannot be afraid to whip out the shotgun from time to time in order to finish off opponents. I can't tell you how many times I've been killed by an opponent after a rocket duel only to find out he had like 3 health left.

Also take enemies at the flank. Use your rocket jumping again to out maneuver your opponents and as Patton says "grab 'em by the nose and kick 'em in the ass!". This is especially useful for "medic massacre" which is really important to do. No medics means you can kill the rest piecemeal.

Finally remember that no class is useful if its dead. The only way to have a sustained attack is to Stay Alive!.

Map Specific stuff:
      The Soldier does well on all maps, but is most effective in open areas.

CP_Well:
      I love this map and so should all Soldier players. Rocket jumping over the train cars dividing the map during setup is a great way to surprise your enemy and weaken their attack. If you rocket jump over and no one is there, then sneak around to the other side and catch their medics/support unawares! If the map is at a standstill don't forget to use your rockets from a distance to dispatch any foe. Excellent map for a soldier. A good soldier and medic can easily take/hold any point on the map.

CTF_2Fort:
      Easily the best map for testing out classes you haven't played yet. Most strategies for this map are pretty straightforward. As a soldier you will work best on offense trying to get into the enemy "fort" and taking the intel or clearing the way for a scout. What typically happens on this map is teams get extremely defensive and there is a standstill. One method I have found is to rocket jump up into the base through the opening right beneath their battlements. I like this spot better because it avoids more enemy sentries than any other route. It does take practice however. Don't expect to get this every time.

CP_Granary:
      This map is similar to Well in that your most advantageous positions are in the middle of the map. Up high on the storage containers is the best place to be early in the game so you can pick off pesky medics/engineers/scouts that are trying to capture the point.

CP_Dustbowl:
      These maps are typically pretty hard fought and the soldier can be the key piece to either a successful capture or defense.

Offense: On offense rocket jumping can still be useful but is dangerous without a medic. Again the best way to have a sustained attack is to stay alive. The soldier is much better at taking out enemy sentries and snipers from afar. If you can see it, then you can launch a rocket at it and kill. DON"T DIE WITH SPARE ROCKETS IN YOUR GUN!

Defense: On defense, working in conjunction with a pyro and a medic you can wreak havoc on the attackers. Rocket-jump behind enemy lines and take out soft targets like scouts and medics.

CP_Hydro:
      Hydro is probably the one map where the soldier gets overpowered at times. The class is still good for offense but your probably better served with more medics/heavy/pyro combos than anything. Snipers are hard to deal with for soldiers as well.

CP_Gravelpit:
      This is a great map which favors adaptability and speed on offense and superior tactical positioning by the defense. Which makes the soldier a great option.

Offense: On offense its important to "snipe" with your Bazooka to take out sentry guns whenever you are out of their range. Again staying alive is critical.

Defense: Probably the more fun side to play on for the soldier because of lots of opportunities to flank. Defending point A has lots of little shacks that let you rocket jump onto them and shoot from above. Defending Point B is best if you either perch on the hut just outside of one of the entrances to B or to go on the offenses yourself by rocket jumping into the tunnel entrance to B and clearing out attackers who may be camping around the dispenser waiting to attack. Defending point C requires constant attention. As a soldier you need to move around to each entrance and even into some of them and clear out nests of enemies. I remember playing once with either Tbonz or CB as my medic and Thrax as a pyro and we absolutely wiped out attacking units and achieved many "medic massacres".

That does it for now. I'll post some updates as I find them, and I might work around to the other classes too.:tongue:

edited October 2007
    Great post Winfrey!

Another TF2 update:

[blockquote]
    Updates to Team Fortress 2 have been released. The updates will be applied automatically when your Steam client is restarted. The specific changes include:

Team Fortress 2
    • Fixed Heavy minigun exploit
    • Team Goals panels stop appearing after you've played a map several times
    • At map time limit, Sudden Death now only kicks in if teams are drawn
    • Sudden Death only starts in CTF mode if both flags are at home
    • Team Fortress 2 stats are only gathered when playing a real game
    • Added the player class counts in the class selection dialog
    • Various fixes to localized text[/blockquote]
    edited October 2007

Team Fortress 2 stats are only gathered when playing a real game

What does that mean? You can't get stats for a LAN game? No stats for playing with yourself? What's a 'real game'?
  • fatcatfatcat Mizzou Icrontian
    edited October 2007
    I'll assume means no stats playing with yourself, like captures.
  • ZanthianZanthian Mitey Worrier Icrontian
    edited October 2007
    I had fun jammin' last night keebs, even though it almost got us killed ;)
  • SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    edited October 2007
    Totally worth posting:

The Lonely Pyro
  • LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian
    edited October 2007
    Hahahahaha, WOW! Made that a shortie.
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited October 2007
    Definitely well worth watching. Excellent video.
    edited October 2007
    I enjoyed the Pyro's experimentation with the cow.
    edited October 2007
    The Demoman
  • BlackHawkBlackHawk Bible music connoisseur There's no place like 127.0.0.1 Icrontian
    edited October 2007
    Is he scottish or jamaican? :confused:
    edited October 2007
    He's a BLACK, SCOTTISH CYCLOPS! ;D

They've got more **** **** ******* * ****** *** than the likes o' him!
    edited October 2007
    BEST MOVIE EVAR!
  • rolleggrollrolleggroll Next to a bowl of rice
    edited October 2007
    GG's to everyone I grouped with. I particularly want to thank Winfrey for keeping me alive. We had plenty good runs together. I also want to thank Hawk, who always watches my back (we tend to play a lot together I've noticed).

GG's also to all the other {IC} players on TF2 tonight.

BTW, if your name is fatcat im sorry if i mixed you up with the other fatcat.

I also want to apolgize if I was a little too belligerent because I am totally smashed. My bad if my healing was pretty bad.
  • HawkHawk Fla Icrontian
    edited October 2007
    Yepper,
    Seemed we got to hookup a few times for some good runs.
    Works well if you get 2-4 people together on a run.
    WE had some good runs as a big group too.
    Seems we overwhelmed the enemy a few times....
    I tend to get too excited and forget to get health, then end up dieing too fast.
    I'm learning to use more cover....
    It was fun last night to say the least....I had a great time with all of you who played.
    Cudo's to all.
    Hope everyone was entertained by the new sprays. I tried to get them up at the beginning of the matches, but some were too quick starting.
    edited October 2007
    GG's to everyone I grouped with. I particularly want to thank Winfrey for keeping me alive. We had plenty good runs together. I also want to thank Hawk, who always watches my back (we tend to play a lot together I've noticed).

No problem man, the feeling is mutual (you were keeping me alive pretty well too!:tongue:)

I thought we were rocking pretty good last night. We won a lot of maps in rapid fashion by just absolutely stomping our enemies!
    edited October 2007
    Yeah we are finally gettin' into our groove :D Great work!
  • NomadNomad A Small Piece of Hell Icrontian
    edited October 2007
    fatcat wrote:

I like the pyroman one right after that.
    edited October 2007
    I've been wondering when they would release the rest of the 'Meet the team' videos.
  • TBonZTBonZ Ottawa, ON Icrontian
    edited October 2007
    Another Ubercharge rant - I got uber slaughtered directly after the map setups, map after map tonight. They (the other team) were prepared but we never were. It was said here that it doesn't make much difference to ubercharge your medic right from the start, but I'm sorry, it does. I felt the wrath time after time tonight being wiped out by a charged medic and soldier/and or heavy, right from the beginning.

Don't be lazy! Charge your medic! Protect your medic, he will save your freakin' life!
    edited October 2007
    ^ this man speaks the truth. It is very important for soldiers and demos to hurt themselves and have the medic uber up during the setup period.

Can't say this often enough:

STAY ON THE ****ING CONTROL POINTS

And last thing: on CP or TC maps, a scout rush out the door is almost ALWAYS a winning opening gambit. Nobody says you have to stay a scout, but if 5-6 scouts rush out the door from the start, and grab the middle point (this is almost CRITICAL in Granary - the first team to cap the center almost always wins the round), you can set yourself up for a much easier time. It irks me so much to see a heavy, engineer, and pyro start setting up defense on LOCKED CONTROL POINTS - this is like ASSUMING you're going to lose the next point and have your rear points unlocked... It's very pessimistic. If they rushed up and tried to set up defenses closer to the middle, you might actually WIN.... :grumble:

Sorry, I played with a ****ty team last night. It was only Hawk and I who seemed to know what we were doing and I told him I was finding another server, it was so frustrating. Our team just didn't "get it". :-/
    edited October 2007
    I figured last night would be the night of n00bs since it was release day.
    Keebs, Sledge, FreeC and a bunch of us from {iC} were on a team and we just plainly dominated using cordinated voice attacks, 12 man scout rushes, heavy/medic slaughters. It was a fun time. At one point it was 3-0 at 2fort 3 minutes into the map.
    BTW, if your name is fatcat im sorry if i mixed you up with the other fatcat.

Its all good, I like getting revenge:cheers:
    edited October 2007
    That was one of the quickest 2fort victories I've ever played. It was fun just stabbing their whole team while our scouts relayed the intel in a flash.