The Digital Camera example thread

Comments

• SimGuySimGuy Ottawa, Canada
    edited June 2003
    Sony Mavica FD (the original floppy disk digital camera)
    Model: MVC-FD97
    2.1 Megapixel
    SteadyShot
    20x Precision Digital Zoom

Here are some sample photo's (no image manipulation at all, 1024x768 photo's):
    edited June 2003
    # 2
    edited June 2003
    # 3

Note: All photo's are taken in my backyard @ 8:00 PM EST on June 23, 2003. Sun was setting...
    edited June 2003
    # 4 (Last One) :)
  • danball1976danball1976 Wichita Falls, TX
    edited June 2003
    This is the same camera with it it at the 4MP, medium quality setting, resulting in a 2272x1712 photo, the image I have here was the center 1506x1078 and then reduced 50% in order to make it fit in here
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    These pictures are good examples of outdoor stills, but I want to see how these cameras do flesh tones/portraiture and action shots. So will potential buyers :)
    edited June 2003
    Ok, this is my brother with that camera, 2MP, medium quality 1136x848
  • DexterDexter Vancouver, BC Canada
    edited June 2003
    Is there an easy way to pull the detailed info from the file, or has everyone been retyping the info from the file properties? I was going to post a couple of pics from my Kodak EasyShare DX4330...but I am too l lazy to type all the image specs....

Dexter...
    edited June 2003
    Yeah, right click, properties ---> summary, and then advanced button at bottom
    edited June 2003
    Danball:

Ya, I know that part. But, you only captured half the info. Many of the above posts have ALL the info in TEXT format. I was wondering if there was an easy way to yank that information out of the file properties as TEXT to paste into here, or if others have just typed it all verbatim.

Dexter...
  • mcwcmcwc Vancouver, BC Member
    edited June 2003
    Doesn't you camera come with it's own picture browsing software? I just used Canon Zoombrowser EX that came with my camera to get the info from the JPEG header. If your camera doesn't come with its own browsing software, you can use ACDSee do copy the info in one step.

Here is Canon Zoombrowser EX (what I use).
    edited June 2003
    Here is ACDSee. So to the picture properties and go to the Metadata tab. Right click anywhere in the window and select copy all. All the info in the JPEG head will be copy to your clipboard.
    edited June 2003
    Thanks, I'll check that in my Kodak software, otherwise I will grab a copy of ACDSee.
    edited June 2003
    mcwc said
    Doesn't you camera come with it's own picture browsing software? I just used Canon Zoombrowser EX that came with my camera to get the info from the JPEG header. If your camera doesn't come with its own browsing software, you can use ACDSee do copy the info in one step.

Here is Canon Zoombrowser EX (what I use).

If your talking to me, yes it does, but I didn't bother installing it
    edited June 2003
    Oh, I was answering Dexter's question.
  • KhaosKhaos New Hampshire
    edited June 2003
    Here is a macro example that I shot with the Sony DSC-P72. Nothin' fancy done here, everything was on autopilot. I just put it in macro mode. This is one case where the full-sized photo actually looks even better than the reduced one. This flower just looks amazing close up. I will post the full-size picture if you guys want.
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited June 2003
    Yeah, I'd like to see it!

Very nice pictures.

Prof
  • maxanonmaxanon Montreal
    edited June 2003
    has anyone printed any of their digital images? If so, what do you think is the minimum resolution for a decent pic?

Also, the canon camera link :http://www.canon.co.jp/Imaging/EOS1DS/menu.html

You can download some sample images (in jpeg and raw) to see the quality. I have to say, very nice.
  • KhaosKhaos New Hampshire
    edited June 2003
    My brother in law has an Epson photo printer and it churns out some pretty sweet prints for less than $300. I mean they seriously look good - Even uses glossy paper. I think it can be had for ~$225 on NewEgg or from a similarly low-priced retailer.

Here's an enlarged view of the center of the flower. The original crop was 1280x1024 (My desktop resolution, this thing is currently my background), and then I shrunk it down to 1024xWhatever. Sorry for the 200KB filesize. :|

The little specks aren't noise or anything, they're dew.

Oh, one last note. Yesterday we used the full motion video feature for the first time, and I must say, I'm pretty impressed. The video is very clear for close range subjects, but loses clarity at around 10 feet. For close range, however, it is clear enough to watch full-screen on a 19 inch monitor. It actually looks pretty darn good. The further away the subject, the more the resolution needs to be reduced in order to produce clarity. 640x480 is probably ideal.
  • jonojono Manchester, UK
    edited June 2003
    maxanon said
    has anyone printed any of their digital images? If so, what do you think is the minimum resolution for a decent pic?

Also, the canon camera link :http://www.canon.co.jp/Imaging/EOS1DS/menu.html

You can download some sample images (in jpeg and raw) to see the quality. I have to say, very nice.

I would not buy a digital camera below 2.11mp, you can get a decent 10x8 photo taken in tiff mode with a 2.11mp camera.

I print alot of my images scanned photo's 2d and 3d modelling images, digital camera images, i set my printer to print at the maximum dpi that its allowed and always use photo glossy film paper and never use re-fill ink type cartridges.
  • Defcon_IVDefcon_IV Innsmouth, RI
    edited July 2003
    I uninstalled my picture browsing software in favor of ACDSee. It's a terrific program, the only thing it doesn't do that I'd like to see is the ability to rotate the pictures incorporated into the fullscreen browser. I do like that you can use nigh any keys you can think of to scroll, kinda like browsing a folder for files.<br>I use a FujiFilm FinePix 2800Z. They're rather cheap now, and the newest ones (the 3800 and the S602) are reasonably easy to find cheap through MySimon, C|net, etc.<br>I found that this camera was really, really what I was looking for. I've also used the two newer ones I've mentioned and they're amazing, but the S602 is something you may want to hold off on until you're sure it's the last camera you'll ever buy...a touch on the wallet incompatible side. You can find a bunch of pictures I took using it on my photosite. I'll get some pics from the other ones up soon enough.
    <br><br>Overall they are resilient. I keep my camera, because of its incredibly odd and awkward shape, in my backpack. I'm a twenty-year-old college student with a rather avid outdoors interest and the bad habit of dropping things. My camera has fallen down stairs, into puddles, off a rock, and the only thing that has happened is the acquisition of "manly" nicks and pits that make for a decent conversation piece, it still works fine.<br><br>Whatever camera you decide to use I'd suggest strongly that you use Duracell Ultra batteries in it, no junk they work better and last longer.
    edited July 2003
    How long does Duracell Ultra last? I find plain alkaline don't last very long. I am using NiMHs and they last for a very long time. I had my camera on for about 3 hours and it still has plenty of juice. The NiMH I currently have are Energizer 1850mAh, the cheapest, high mAh brand name NiMHs I could get in March.
    edited July 2003
    I bought the Energizer Photo Lithium batteries, they don't last long on my camera, maybe 1-2hrs total of continuous use.

I bought the NiMH Energizer batteries, they last 2-3hrs, and thats stretching it. To save power, I turn the camera off after every photo I take, or keep the 2" LCD screen off as much as I need to. I also got an extra set of NiMH batteries to keep going if the first set runs out of power while I'm still using the camera.
  • EnverexEnverex Worcester, UK Icrontian
    edited July 2003
    Canon Powershot A40
    Automatic Settings (as my dad doesnt know how to use the camera or macro mode, so no close ups)
    1600x1200 - High Quailty Mode
    edited July 2003
    edited July 2003
    edited July 2003
    edited July 2003
    5 -
    Taken out of a plane window, which is why its blue.
    The first picture with the birds was also taken through a window.
    edited July 2003
    Just found this, useful if you are runing *nix -

* media-gfx/exiftags
    Latest version available: 0.97
    Size of downloaded files: 41 kB
    Homepage: http://johnst.org/sw/exiftags/
    Description: Extracts JPEG EXIF headers from digital camera photos

NS
  • ButtersButters CA Icrontian
    edited July 2003
    Kodak Easyshare CX4230
    Purchased for 149 @ Tigerdirect (Refurb)

Las Vegas infront of the Luxor
    Vegas-072.jpg

Mandalay Bay Shark Reef (Indoors through aquarium glass)
    Vegas-041.jpg