The Digital Camera example thread

Comments

• DogSoldierDogSoldier The heart of radical Amish country..
    edited March 2004
    I took the HP back to Radio Shack, it was corrupting first shots and timer shots. Went and got the Kodak CX7300 I was looking at originally. This camera is much better, the compression algorithim is waaay better. I can Save for The Web at much higher compression and the image loss is much less noticeable than with the HP. This is the front foyer at the office, flash off. Slightly blurry because it was hand held. Downsized from 2080x1544 to 800x594. Saved at 50% using Photoshop.
    sample-kodak-office.jpg

pic-settings.gif
  • edited March 2004
    Good shot and thanks for the info Dog. I'll steer clear of that original HP you bought. I've been leery of HP digital cams as they've almost always get mediocre reviews.

KingFish
  • edited May 2004
    For my sister's graduation I got her the Canon A80. I was very impressed with it. It's very user friendly and is super easy to maneuver around the menus. Setting it as "Auto" results as great pictures as well as changing all the manual settings. The menu system is much simpler to understand than my camera's (C-4000). To see an example pic of the A80 go here. It's quite big so I figured some wouldn't appreciate making the whole forum "shift" with the picture.
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited May 2004
    Nice looking pic, dak. My dad got one of my nieces that camera for her birthday last month. It is everything you say it is. :)
  • edited May 2004
    profdlp wrote:
    Nice looking pic, dak. My dad got one of my nieces that camera for her birthday last month. It is everything you say it is. :)

Thanks man. I was tempted to get one for myself and sell my camera, but didn't happen. I looked through all the pictures I had and couldn't really come up with anything except with my car in it :werr:. So, here's a picture that was unedited (except for the license plate). I think it's at 1024 res. I'll be sure to take a picture without my car involved soon. I'm a big fan of the Olympus C-4000 once you get the settings the way you like them. You really do need the owners manual in front of you to figure out what everything means.
  • edited May 2004
    I found this one but I think the scope had a smudge on it in the upper right. Nonetheless this is a picture from my buddy's house in FLA...his backyard :eek2:. C-4000 again at 1024 res.
  • MadballMadball Fort Benton, MT
    edited June 2004
    Can you find the sheep?
  • csimoncsimon Acadiana Icrontian
    edited June 2004
    very cool pic dan!
    you sure those are sheep?
  • DogSoldierDogSoldier The heart of radical Amish country..
    edited June 2004
    Interesting pic, thought I had to cross my eyes to see a 3D image.. lol. Yeah, you sure those are sheep? Look like mountain goats to me.
  • NomadNomad A Small Piece of Hell Icrontian
    edited June 2004
    Yeti!
    edited June 2004
    Bighorn sheep. Mountain goats are white, not brown like these.
    edited June 2004
    This is a goat.
    edited June 2004
    This is a sheep.
  • csimoncsimon Acadiana Icrontian
    edited June 2004
    deja vu ...no itsa shark ...no itsa porpoise!!! LOL ;D

thanks for the clarification madball!
  • Geeky1Geeky1 University of the Pacific (Stockton, CA, USA)
    edited June 2004
    Here we go, these are some shots taken with a Canon PowerShot S30.

The maximum resolution (and the resolution I took these pictures at) is 2048x1536 (~3mp); rather than scale them down and loose detal, I simply took 1024x768 squares of the images. They were saved at quality level 8 (high) in photoshop, and as far as I can tell, suffered no loss of quality from the originals.
    edited June 2004
    A little touch up.
  • GargGarg Purveyor of Lincoln Nightmares Icrontian
    edited June 2004
    This is from a HP 733 camera. (3.2 MP)
    I'm not all that happy with it. The auto-focus isn't impressive. I'm going to try to return it and get a Kodak or Fuji, I think.

This is actual pixels - an 800x600 selection from the 2048x1536 image. The original image size is 1.63mb. It was saved at Photoshop JPEG quality setting 6. I didn't notice any reduction in quality until it was lowered below that level.
  • mcwcmcwc Vancouver, BC Member
    edited July 2004
    My dad got a new digital camera, an Olympus C-740UZ. This is the "fun" camera between my Canon A60 and his Olympus D-390 because of the 10X optical zoom and the ability to use 55mm filters from his Contax 139 Quartz.

The images comes out very nice. The images are sharp, and the colours come out neutral, compared to the warm images from the A60 and the cool images from the D-390.

Only got it for a few days and haven't taken too many pictures with it, but here are a few.

First pic, resized: Night scene mode, F4.0, 4.0sec, flash off, ISO64, 380mm.
    Second pic, cropped: Program mode, macro, F3.2, 1/200sec, flash off, ISO64, 81mm, expousure compensation 1.3.
    Third pic, resized: Shutter priority, F4.5, 1/400sec, flash off, ISO100, 38mm, polarized filter.
    Fourth pic, resied: Program mode, F3.2, 1/160sec, flash on, ISO100, 141mm.
    Fifth pic, resized: Program mode, F3.2, 1/13sec, flash off, ISO100, 198mm, close-up filter No. 1.
  • leishi85leishi85 Grand Rapids, MI Icrontian
    edited August 2004
    Sony cyber shot P92

took this with everything on auto, and flash on.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited August 2004
    Canon EOS 300d (Digital Rebel): Full auto mode, F/5, shutter speed 1/50, ISO400, autofocus.

Subject: Snuffie, as per the usual :D
    edited August 2004
    Same settings as above, except manual focus.

Subject: annoying dad with camera, always taking pictures of his kids.
  • BlackHawkBlackHawk Bible music connoisseur There's no place like 127.0.0.1 Icrontian
    edited August 2004
    Canon EOS 300d (digital rebel): Full auto mode, F/5, shutter speed 1/50, ISO400, autofocus.

Subject: Snuffie, as per the usual :D
    A pose for profdlp? :crazy:;D
    edited August 2004
    This camera almost almost makes him look like a noble hound ;D
  • Geeky1Geeky1 University of the Pacific (Stockton, CA, USA)
    edited August 2004
    He needs a better makeup artist tho. :-/
  • PaulPaul Member
    edited December 2004
    dak125 wrote:
    Thanks man. I was tempted to get one for myself and sell my camera, but didn't happen. I looked through all the pictures I had and couldn't really come up with anything except with my car in it :werr:. So, here's a picture that was unedited (except for the license plate). I think it's at 1024 res. I'll be sure to take a picture without my car involved soon. I'm a big fan of the Olympus C-4000 once you get the settings the way you like them. You really do need the owners manual in front of you to figure out what everything means.

I guess ill have to post my Z too..... T-tops are a bitch in the rain eh?

Taken on an HP433 3.2 megapixel. 400 ISO speed
  • PaulPaul Member
    edited December 2004
    Same camera
  • edited December 2004
    Made with SONY.. don't know any other details.. just that I made them :D
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited March 2005
    Here's my first posting of a digital photograph from me. I just now have become proficient with the camera, having purchased it just a couple weeks ago.

Nikon D70, Nikkor 18-70DX AF lens
    1/320th second
    F 1/4.5
    ISO 400
    Photo resized to fit browser window (1024 X 681)
    (shot through a smudged window)
  • danball1976danball1976 Wichita Falls, TX
    edited April 2005
    Here is my new Kodak EasyShare DK7630 6.1MP camera. I got it on sale from Circuit City online for $283 ($308 With tax). I like it alot. 3x optical zoom, 4x digital zoom - 12x total zoom. Battery life is outstanding. It can take up to 350 pictures on one charge on the included 1700mAh battery. Thats probably like a days worth of continuous use. My old HP850 couldn't get any better than 4 hours of use on one battery charge. Below is a picture of the inside of my car using the 1.7MP setting and standard compression. I intend on getting a 1GB SD memory card so I can use the 6.1MP setting all the time.

Specifications

Standard Features

Sensor
    CCD resolution 6.2 MP (2872x2160 pixels)
    Image resolution 6.1 MP (2856x2142 pixels)
    Picture quality
    6.1 MP -- best (print, poster)
    5.4 MP -- best (optimized for 3:2 aspect ratio)
    4.0 MP -- better (print, poster)
    3.1 MP -- better (print 11"x14")
    1.7 MP -- good (small prints)
    Compression standard and fine

Lens
    Zoom
    3X optical zoom, 8-24 mm (35 mm equivalent: 39-117 mm) Lens threads for 37 mm lens adapter
    4X advanced digital zoom
    12X total zoom
    Aperture f/2.8-8.0 (wide), f/4.8-8.0 (tele)
    Shutter speed automatic: 1/8-1/1400 seconds; manual: 64-1/1000 seconds

Creative Performance Controls

Still
    Scene modes auto, 16 scene modes, program auto, aperture priority, shutter priority, manual, custom setting mode
    Color modes color settings (high, natural, low), black and white, sepia, sharpness (high, normal, low)
    Click to capture 0.3 seconds
    Shot to shot 1.8 seconds

Video
    Movie mode audio recording during video capture; audio playback on camera
    Movie image resolution
    320x240 pixels at 24 fps
    Movie length continuous based on memory capacity; or 5, 15, or 30 second clips
    Movie file format Still: JPEG/EXIF v2.2; Video: Quicktime

Focus
    Auto focus High-speed, low light auto-focus with continuous, single and selectable modes, including multi-zone, center-zone, left, center, right
    Focus distance wide: 60 cm (23.6 in.) to infinity; tele: 60 cm (23.6 in.) to infinity; wide macro: 7-70 cm (2.8-27.6 in.); tele macro: 28-70 cm (11-27.6 in.)

Exposure
    ISO equivalent 100-200 (auto) and 100, 200, 400, 800 (manual)
    White balance auto, daylight, tungsten, fluorescent; can be controlled in any manual mode
    Light metering method auto: TTL-AE matrix metering; selectable: multi-pattern, center-weighted, center spot
    Exposure control programmed AE; apperature priority: AE: f/2.8-8 at wide; shutter priority: AE: 64 - 1-1/1000 seconds at wide; manual exposure: f/2.8-8, 64-1/1000 seconds; ISO 100-800
    Long time exposure 0.7 - 64 seconds
    Exposure compensation +/- 2.0 EV in 0.3 EV steps
    Exposure bracketing automatic 3 images with user-selectable brackets +/-0.3, +/-0.7, or +/-1.0 EV
    Burst modes
    First Burst Mode -- 2 fps, up to 4 pictures in sequence.
    Last Burst Mode -- up to 30 frames at 2 fps, with last 4 frames saved

Effortless Operation

Flash
    Flash mode auto, red-eye, fill, off
    Flash range wide: 0.6 - 4.2 m (2-13.8 ft.); tele: 0.6-2.5 m (2-8.2 ft.)
    Flash compensation +/- 1.0 EV in 1/2 step

Review
    Viewfinder real image optical viewfinder
    Display 2.2", 153,000 pixel resolution indoor/outdoor hybrid display
    Review mode limited and full-picture information, multi-up, slide show, protect, Share button to print email, album, fast magnify with zoom control, full frame fast scroll, select favorites
    Favorites mode on-camera picture sharing
    Auto-orientation auto picture rotation - orientation sensor

Additional Features
    Storage 32 MB internal memorySD/MMC card expansion slot
    Dedicated buttons display/info, delete, Share, review, menu, first burst/last burst/exposure bracketing, close-up/landscape, jog dial for manual settings, flash
    Interface power input (5 VDC), A/V output (NTSC or PAL, user-selectable), exclusive KODAK Camera Dock/Printer Dock interface, digital (USB 2.0) connector
    Self-timer 10 seconds
    Power options optional KODAK EASYSHARE Docks with Li-ion rechargeable battery pack (in-camera charging); KODAK EASYSHARE Li-ion (1050 mAh) Rechargeable Battery or KODAK EASYSHARE Li-ion (1700 mAh) Rechargeable Battery (supplied), DC-in jack on side of camera for 5V adapter
    Lens protection lens cap
    Tripod mount 1/4 in. standard
    Weight without batteries: 219 g (7.7 oz.)
    Dimensions WxHxD: 100.3x69.2x40.2 mm (4.0x2.7x1.6 in.)
    Warranty 1 year

Package Contents

* KODAK EASYSHARE DX7630 Zoom Digital Camera
    * USB and audio/video cables
    * Battery 1700mAh (Li-ion)
    * Battery charger
    * Wrist strap
    * Lens cap
    * KODAK EASYSHARE Software
    * Getting started kit
  • danball1976danball1976 Wichita Falls, TX
    edited April 2005
    Here's another taken with the lights off and the camera on a stable surface (again 1.7MP and standard compression)