Travian outpost

LincLinc OwnerDetroit Icrontian
edited April 2008 in Gaming
I wanted to let you guys know my next move: a jump to the fringes of the map.

I started figuring out tonight that new players are placed in a ring that's expanding from the center. I started poking around where the current frontiers are and had an idea: why not plunk down a camp and wait for newbies to spawn around me? :ninja:

It seems quite a few people from the larger alliances are already doing this, so I've picked out a nice spot in our quadrant and will be making a village (or two) out there this week.

Short term, I think it would be good for everyone to have a village or two in the stronghold, but at some point you may want to consider joining me out there and/or finding a niche yourself. :)

Comments

• FelixDeSouzeFelixDeSouze UK New
    edited March 2008
    They call this a PowerBase.. a Powerbase is where your alliance all builds a village in a 7x7 square to start off and expands.. This allows your alliance to have the protection it needs.

Protection in numbers and all that :P
  • broady81broady81 Member
    edited March 2008
    Seems a good idea, I'll get my second village sorted, and my third will be at your disposal :)
  • TBonZTBonZ Ottawa, ON Icrontian
    edited March 2008
    Sweet idea Matt. I'm with broady. Once I establish my #2 village at the powerbase, I'm so there.
  • LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian
    edited March 2008
    I haven't made the jump yet as I'm sending all my resources to the powerbase to rapidly grow my villages there, but Roadblock (the southeast one in the Panther powerbase) is slowly working up to a level 20 Residence (18, now) for that purpose. :)
  • FelixDeSouzeFelixDeSouze UK New
    edited March 2008
    Good luck with the powerbase! I want screenshots or docs to inform of where it's all going down! ;)
    edited March 2008
    I have no doubt Matt that you'll already be there by the time I'm ready for #3.
  • HarudathHarudath Great Britain Icrontian
    edited March 2008
    Slighly OT- Not that I disagree, but why's keebler using FelixDeSouze's account? :tongue: I never knew
    edited March 2008
    Harudath wrote:
    Slighly OT- Not that I disagree, but why's keebler using FelixDeSouze's account? :tongue: I never knew
    He retired from the game, so he gifted me the account. :) See here.
    edited March 2008
    Ah, awesome :D It's being put to good use :D
    edited March 2008
    I found a spot far north of us that puts us well off anyone's map and is very oasis-rich. I also found an 8-cropper in the middle of it; not 15, but it'll do for now. :)
  • a2jfreaka2jfreak Houston, TX Member
    edited March 2008
    I'm just now starting to generate enough resources to do one of two things:
    1) Build up an army of decent size (250+ Imperians and 250+ Equites Caesarus').
    2) Build up a small army (100+ Imperians and 100+ Equites Caesarus') and then build settlers to make a new village.

Which should I do? Also, when I do make my second village, should I build it right next to my first village, or build on the fringe near you, Matt?
    edited March 2008
    I would do neither: focus it all on building a new village near Snake-Eyes. Get that puppy churning out lvl 10 resources fast.

You may want to field a small army, but just enough for raiding. I wouldn't add Caesarus for now - they're too expensive to get them killed.

If you want to move to the fringe with me, that's fine, but you'd probably have an easier time moving into the powerbase. I'm seriously upgrading my merchants right now to prepare for it.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited March 2008
    Tomorrow some time I'll be ready to build a second village. Where does {IC} want it?
  • a2jfreaka2jfreak Houston, TX Member
    edited March 2008
    Ok, Matt. I'll start the new village where you tell me is safest.

Also, I saw in the other thread you're needing a level 20 Residence. I can't spare much wood/clay/iron, but I can send 10K maybe 15K wheat if that would help. Just tell me the village name and it's yours.
    edited March 2008
    That's ok mate, thanks for the offer, but I shuffled some stuff and I'll be able to build it in a few hours :)
  • the_technocratthe_technocrat IC-MotY1 Indy Icrontian
    edited March 2008
    Keebler wrote:
    I found a spot far north of us that puts us well off anyone's map and is very oasis-rich. I also found an 8-cropper in the middle of it; not 15, but it'll do for now. :)

coords
    edited March 2008
    coords
    Not built yet...
    edited March 2008
    I'm going to skip the powerbase and go straight to forward outpost, will wait on you to establish
    edited March 2008
    I'm going to skip the powerbase and go straight to forward outpost, will wait on you to establish
    OK, it'll be tomorrow, probably.
    edited March 2008
    Came across this cool map tool. Anyways, after checking this out, here is where I think I will expand in due time. This really helps put the map in perspective.

http://travianuk.silenz.org/
    edited March 2008
    That _is_ pretty cool.

I was planning to expand into that dead zone due north of the powerbase.
    edited March 2008
    TBonZ wrote:
    Came across this cool map tool. Anyways, after checking this out, here is where I think I will expand in due time. This really helps put the map in perspective.

http://travianuk.silenz.org/

nice, this is a lot easier than managing our own map - WHEW
    edited March 2008
    It'd be awesome, although really moving ourselves out there will make trades take a LOOONG time :tongue: What if we made a second powerbase out there, though?
    edited March 2008
    Harudath wrote:
    What if we made a second powerbase out there, though?
    I think converging on a shared area would be a good idea, yes. However, I still suggest building up our current base for several reasons:

- You will be able to fuel a new village exponentially faster at the powerbase than at an outpost (plus I have 4 villages there to assist).
    - There is no one to raid out there.
    - If some big player plunks down near your outpost, you're screwed and will have no support.

Notice that I put my fifth and sixth villages in the powerbase rather than jumping? It was still a massively time and resource-intensive exercise, and I had two maxed-out villages and two half-built villages fueling it. I'm four days in and probably only 1/4 done.

When I do make the jump, I will have 2 maxed villages (with trade-office-enhanced merchants: 3300K ea) doing nothing but sending supplies there since my powerbase villages are nearing self-sufficiency. :)
    edited March 2008
    I've found a 15-cropper that's relatively near the powerbase and 35+ squares from the nearest powerful player. I will be moving there as soon as I build settlers. :)
    edited March 2008
    :D There's a 15 cropper near me, taken by Healer- No wonder these guys are so good :tongue:
    edited March 2008
    Harudath wrote:
    :D There's a 15 cropper near me, taken by Healer- No wonder these guys are so good :tongue:
    Yeah. I can't recommend it for your second village, but you will definitely want at least one 9- or 15-cropper to be competitive.
    edited March 2008
    Heh, my second village will be another balanced one I think. Then to start mass producing troops I'll go for a cropper.
  • broady81broady81 Member
    edited March 2008
    Same as Haru, village number 3 I hope to be atleast a 9 cropper - Then I can atleast put up a little bit of defence against the 1000 man cavalry attacks I'm facing currently.
    edited March 2008
    I love RTS games :tongue: