Movie Thread

Comments

• jedihobbitjedihobbit Central Virginia, USA New
    edited March 2011
    Just managed to watch Sin City all the way through.............
  • AlexDeGruvenAlexDeGruven Wut? Meechigan Icrontian
    edited March 2011
    QuadWhore wrote:
    Also, you guys should see the movie Moon if you haven't. When it was over I was like "Lolwut".
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1182345/

Moon was awesome.
    edited March 2011
    Tim Burton's Alice...........
  • QuadWhoreQuadWhore Toledo, Ohio, U.S. Icrontian
    edited March 2011
    Its official, friday I'm seeing A Serbian Film with a friend.
    edited March 2011
    As this is the closest it comes for plays, concerts, and the like.........saw Celtic Woman last night. I was in heaven!!
  • Mt_GoatMt_Goat Head Cheezy Knob Pflugerville (north of Austin) Icrontian
    edited April 2011
    I saw Paul again. The first time was on my lappy and now I got to see it on the big screen. And I laughed just as hard as I did the first time. But something occured to me after watching it this time. What if the cast was replaced with some of the cast of IC? Brian and Lincoln could easily play the parts played by Pegg and Frost while Shorty could be the alien! I seriously don't think it would be too far off.
    edited April 2011
    Picked up Tron: Legacy and Tron on Blu-Ray combo packs this weekend. It's been a long time since I've seen the original, but I remember it as well today as I did when I watched it 4x/weekend as a kid.

The wife and #1 watched the original yesterday. #1 enjoyed it for the action sequences and cool (for 1982) visuals. Wife thought it was ok, but said it's really dated visually and doesn't hold up (which I'm not surprised about, since the movie is 29 years old).

#1 didn't enjoy Legacy nearly as much. Perhaps he thought it suffered from the 'too slick by half' syndrome that occurs with long-term updates to a franchise. Either way, he didn't bother to sit through Legacy, where the original kept his interest all the way through.

Wife enjoyed Legacy much more, even though she found some parts difficult to follow. This was after she had watched the original just a few hours before.

I, on the other hand, thoroughly enjoyed my third screening of Legacy. It still looks fantastic, though I really think the sound track is the star of the film. Don't get me wrong, the visuals are great, and the overall design updates on all the models from the original are fantastic. But the sound in Legacy is just something altogether different.

All in all, a good weekend for movie watching. Seeing Tron and Legacy did a lot to cleanse my palate after sitting through that abortion called 'Alpha and Omega'.
  • TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    edited April 2011
    Perhaps slightly OT, but I was in New Orleans this weekend and saw Nicholas Cage filming a movie (probably Medallion, given that it is the only movie in filming status on his IMDB page). I'm sure it will be mediocre at best. :)
  • UPSLynxUPSLynx :KAPPA: Redwood City, CA Icrontian
    edited April 2011
    I picked up Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs on Bluray for $12 at Fry's this weekend. This film is so awesome. I wrote it off initially, just thinking it was yet another me-too CG animated film. I finally saw it this Holiday season on Netflix and really regretted not seeing it earlier.

The film never takes itself too seriously. It's just a ton of fun to watch. It tells a simple story while making the entire package enormously entertaining to watch. I have never seen a computer animated film push exaggeration like Metaballs does - some of the poses, acting, and squash/stretching that the animators used are completely absurd and so much fun to watch. It's difficult to describe what I mean by this, but if you pay close attention to the cop (voiced by Mr. T), you'll know what I'm talking about. You can tell the animators and crew were just having a ton of fun making this movie.
    edited April 2011
    Meatballs was a lot of fun (and actually had a relatively deep message based on some biblical stories if you wanted to dig that deeply), and I agree with this assessment. Some of the stretch/squash gags reminded me of some of the old Tom & Jerry or Looney Toons stuff. Definitely worth a watch.
  • SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    edited April 2011
    Watched Tron: Legacy twice this weekend. Thoroughly enjoyed it both times. Just a good all-around movie. Loved the Daft Punk cameo.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited April 2011
    Watched Tangled and The King's Speech this weekend. Both fun movies in their own right, and the chameleon in Tangled is a BAMF.
    edited April 2011
    I will argue that Tangled is the best non-Pixar Disney movie made to date.
  • ardichokeardichoke Icrontian
    edited April 2011
    I saw Tangled back when it was in theaters with the lady friend. I was surprised to find that I actually quite enjoyed it.

The King's Speech was really good as well.
    edited April 2011
    While I wouldn't go so far to say that Tangled is the best non-Pixar Disney film, it is without a doubt the best since Lion King. All around fantastic flick.
  • BobbyDigiBobbyDigi ? R U #Hats ! TX Icrontian
    edited April 2011
    Y4nCN.jpg
  • BobbyDigiBobbyDigi ? R U #Hats ! TX Icrontian
    edited April 2011
    edited April 2011
    <3 Demetri Martin
  • KoreishKoreish I'm a penguin, deal with it. KCMO Icrontian
    edited April 2011
    Why? Why does Hollywood have to destroy two of the best things to ever happen in animation?

Cowboy Bebop.
    Akira.
  • WinfreyWinfrey waddafuh Missouri Icrontian
    edited April 2011
    This will only end in tears.
  • DogSoldierDogSoldier The heart of radical Amish country..
    edited April 2011
    Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs was very enjoyable.. I laughed alot, especially when I realized Neil Patrick Harris voiced the monkey. And another vote for Moon. Getting ready to watch Tangled...
    edited April 2011
    NPH voiced Steve??! Awesome!
  • CrazyJoeCrazyJoe Winter Springs, FL Icrontian
    edited April 2011
    Koreish wrote:
    Why? Why does Hollywood have to destroy two of the best things to ever happen in animation?

Cowboy Bebop.
    Akira.

Both of these make me very sad. The first more than the second, but still...
    edited April 2011
    UPSLynx wrote:
    NPH voiced Steve??! Awesome!

Almost as awesome as George Clooney playing Sparky the gay dog.
  • LazarusXeroLazarusXero Illinois Icrontian
    edited April 2011
    Moon was fantastic! And despite being the third in a series, Toy Story 3 was rather enjoyable as well... Just saw that for the first time this last week.

Anyone see the movie "Brick" with Joseph Gordon-Levitt? That movie is on my top ten.
  • TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    edited April 2011
    Yeah, I liked Brick and another indie movie he did called "The Lookout"
    edited April 2011
    So AMC is doing a theatrical re-release of Top Gun for two shows only at 'select theaters'. Saturday (4/30) at 12:30pm and Tuesday (5/3) at 7:00pm.

I seriously want to go on Tuesday, but the only showings in MI are at the John R AMC and one in Grand Rapids.

Details: http://www.amctheatres.com/topgun/
    edited April 2011
    So AMC is doing a theatrical re-release of Top Gun for two shows only at 'select theaters'. Saturday (4/30) at 12:30pm and Tuesday (5/3) at 7:00pm.

I seriously want to go on Tuesday, but the only showings in MI are at the John R AMC and one in Grand Rapids.

Details: http://www.amctheatres.com/topgun/

The closest is a two hour drive for me!! :(
    edited April 2011
    Finished "The Pacific" thanks to netflix and several nights in a row...the wife watched it with me and enjoyed it more than "Band of Brothers".
  • kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited May 2011
    Saw Thor on the weekend. It's good but not great. I'd rate it as being better then Iron Man 2 but not as good as the first Iron Man. My biggest problems with the movie is that they really seemed to rush the romance bit and that Hemmsworth comes lacks screen presence for a Norse god. He's like the 'bro' version of Thor. That being said. Still an enjoyable movie and I think he'll fit in fine along side Iron Man and Captain America in the upcoming Avengers flick.