Official Icrontic Minecraft Server

Comments

• _k_k P-Town, Texas Icrontian
    edited December 2010
    Did hometree 1 burn itself down? The other thing to look at is where torches are with the involved area since if no one was on the server and something caught fire then no one set it on fire.

Bandrick you can merge saves of a map with current versions, some public servers run backups every 15 minutes and if you get griefed you just report it and they restore to a user requested time frame.

I have a serious question about this, are we going to ban all griefing? I am wondering since I did fill Lynx's house with sand if the occasional light hearted act is off limits as of now?
  • BandrikBandrik Elkhart, IN Icrontian
    edited December 2010
    _k_ wrote:
    Bandrik you can merge saves of a map with current versions, some public servers run backups every 15 minutes and if you get griefed you just report it and they restore to a user requested time frame.

That's relieving to know. If it's really that easy, why don't we just do this and be done with it? Kingpin's area will be fixed, Digi's castle and my house will remain complete, and we move on to the start of Icrontinent 2.0.

In fact, if it's really that easy, maybe dealing with griefing isn't so bad after all.
  • the_technocratthe_technocrat IC-MotY1 Indy Icrontian
    edited December 2010
    _k_ wrote:
    I did fill Lynx's house with sand if the occasional light hearted act is off limits as of now?

You're the only one that found that funny. SCLisi and I cleaned it out.
  • UPSLynxUPSLynx :KAPPA: Redwood City, CA Icrontian
    edited December 2010
    _k_ wrote:
    Did hometree 1 burn itself down? The other thing to look at is where torches are with the involved area since if no one was on the server and something caught fire then no one set it on fire.

Home tree 1 was completely my fault. I broke my own rule and had flint and steel on my belt. It was a harsh lesson, but I take full responsibility for that mess. No clue about the second time though.

_k_ wrote:
    I have a serious question about this, are we going to ban all griefing? I am wondering since I did fill Lynx's house with sand if the occasional light hearted act is off limits as of now?

I don't want an end to the simple pranks. I love that stuff. My house full of sand sucked to clean up, but whatever. I cool with pranks, and I'm always going to pay it back with something clever. The difference being doing something simple that's funny, and doing something destructive that cannot be reversed. There's a pretty clear line between the two.

If we never find a compelling reason to think that a person started these fires, I'm willing to admit that I was wrong. However, my real point is that we need to prevent any of this kind of stuff from happing from here on out. We don't need unfortunate mistakes and such with the new server, and that's why I'm in support of banning those three objects.

Don't need em. NOPE. Don't need em!
  • TiberiusLazarusTiberiusLazarus Icrontian
    edited December 2010
    Thrax wrote:
    This is why I endorse Llamacraft.

Another vote.
  • CantiCanti =/= smalltime http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9K18CGEeiI&feature=related Icrontian
    edited December 2010
    UPSLynx wrote:
    Everyone always cries glitch. How often have we seen any of our copious forests, trees, and wooden structures spontaneously combust? There is no real example of this happening anywhere on the server with the exception of our creations. And we would know, too, as the burning wood never dies out.

It's true there isn't really any example of this happening anywhere other than our creations but could that just be because if a group of trees randomly catches fire in the middle of nowhere then no one cares or knows about it because they aren't doing anything there? If you remember there was one time I simply walked through that forest before and it burst into flames. Either I'm that awesome and/or combustible which I doubt or glitches do happen. I would only be skeptical because of the fire in his castle too.
  • _k_k P-Town, Texas Icrontian
    edited December 2010
    What about when they move to lanterns and torches will eventually need to be re-lit? As far as I am aware flint is the only way to do that, though you might be able to break them pick it up and replace to ignite the torch again.

I am going to try and sit down with hey0 for about 30 minutes to look to see what kind of options for control you can have when forcing users into groups.
  • RyderRyder Kalamazoo, Mi Icrontian
    edited December 2010
    UPSLynx wrote:
    It's pretty damn convienient that a "glitch" causes trees in Kingpin's area to burn like mad, AND burn out every single piece of wood flooring on the inside of his fort, which just happens to be separated by a very large chunk of water.

Everyone always cries glitch. How often have we seen any of our copious forests, trees, and wooden structures spontaneously combust? There is no real example of this happening anywhere on the server with the exception of our creations. And we would know, too, as the burning wood never dies out.

Bandrik, just because you're so content with yourself to be responsible with fire and TNT means nothing when you consider all of the people who have access to that stuff and won't be responsible. I completely agree with Thrax - if the mod has options for lighting lamps and fireplaces, then to hell with TNT, Flint and steel, and lava tiles. If those examples listed aren't compelling enough reasons to put that crap on the ban, I don't know what is. They're habitually abused, we don't need them.
    What kind of proof do you want Bobby? I just showed you the whole server log, it logs everything (I can get more, all your conversations last night are there, etc).

No one was on the server between 11:03 and 12:whatever when Hitman found the burning. How are you going to tell me that someone set them without being on the server.

Full log attached
    edited December 2010
    I think Ryder's logs are accurate. It's very likely there really wasn't anyone on during that time. I've been on quite a lot over the past few days, and typically I'm THE ONLY ONE there. I'll "/who" to see who's on often, and the only person I saw was Digi for a little bit a couple days ago, and Thracks/SCLisi for a minute or two yesterday evening.

Of course, one last little thing to ponder. Has anyone asked Kingpin about it? It's possible (albeit unlikely) that he kicked off the destruct-a-thon early and set torch to his own place, thinking the archive's already happened. Since he has yet to speak up here, it's possible.
  • TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    edited December 2010
    Bandrik wrote:
    I don't know anything about the map editors, but this may very well be both feasible and easy. If the map editors let you go by chunks, then all you do is take the newest map with the burned parts, pull the unburned chunks of Kingpin's area from the older map, and transplant them in.

Heck, you could do that with Hometree as well if that works in map editors. Take an older backup from 2 months ago and revive Hometree.
    I don't know about the merging features, but the map editors I toyed around with were mainly chunk based (meaning you got selections of xyz of whatever size), so it wouldn't be "hard", just a little time to get approximate areas and copy them to and fro. I don't know how merging the maps would handle the old area vs new area (ie if you had a stone and wood house, wood burned, stone still there, what would happen?).
    Bandrik wrote:
    Of course, one last little thing to ponder. Has anyone asked Kingpin about it? It's possible (albeit unlikely) that he kicked off the destruct-a-thon early and set torch to his own place, thinking the archive's already happened. Since he has yet to speak up here, it's possible.

If this is true, I'll lol.
    edited December 2010
    Bandrik wrote:
    Not all communication is in this thread. No that didn't happen.
    Bandrik wrote:
    Update: I just saw Ryder's post about the server being restored pre-fire. What date is that restore point?
    RyderOCZ wrote:
    Ok, I was slightly wrong.

Newest backup is November 30 at 2:30pm.. not December 2.
    edited December 2010
    Ryder, any reason you aren't using an automated/more frequent solution, for example?
    edited December 2010
    Tushon wrote:
    Ryder, any reason you aren't using an automated/more frequent solution, for example?

I was wondering this myself. I thought the server was backed up automatically and very frequently. Do the backups overwrite themselves or something? Either way, incremental backups are the way to go, so I hope that's what we're using. Still, that doesn't explain why the latest backup is from a few days ago.

I want to make it clear that I'm not mad or disappointed at Ryder or anything. I just want us to have more frequent and/or reliable backups, that are easier to go back to or correct for griefing.
    edited December 2010
    Thread cleaned.
    Whitelist restored from backup.
    Waiting on Hey0 update.

Both worlds are uploading so you guys can have whatever you want.

I will post links in a couple hours when they are done uploading (350+MB)

I will look into that Tushon.

Backups are me zipping up the minecraft folder, no automated anything.
    edited December 2010
    Thanks Ryder! I appreciate everything you've done for us so far. <3
  • BobbyDigiBobbyDigi ? R U #Hats ! TX Icrontian
    edited December 2010
    Ryder,

IOU 1 Reacharound

<3 Digi
    edited December 2010
    RyderOCZ wrote:
    Backups are me zipping up the minecraft folder, no automated anything.

how to create zip file from command line

how to make any command line command a scheduled task

:)
    edited December 2010
    Thanks for the effort, Ryder! I won't promise a reacharound, but I'll give bobby some lotion first.

I don't know if that backup program works better than any others around. When I get home, I'll look at the minecraft.net threads and see what other people recommend. Minecraft and related sites are blocked at work.

TT, but GUIs are so pretty and command prompts so drab and uninviting.
  • AlexDeGruvenAlexDeGruven Wut? Meechigan Icrontian
    edited December 2010
    Asked the question in SA about random burnings in hey0 servers, and it seems to happen quite often:
    Yes. I've always put it down to the lava sparks getting lucky.
    Same thing has been happening with my server (hey0 129), we have been relying on watching our cartographer update, and then rushing to ensure that the forest fires don't go out of control...
    edited December 2010
    Asked the question in SA about random burnings in hey0 servers, and it seems to happen quite often:

Oh yeah. And I did a google search, and "minecraft spontaneous combustion" came up high on the autocomplete list.

Long story short: a glitch? Yeah it's possible. And if things really CAN go poof for "no reason" just be careful as you build. Even with flints disabled, fires may still start up, so again consider firewalls as you build if you must use wood. It sucks, but something to consider.
    edited December 2010
    This is the "World-Burnt" file. BobbyDigi and anyone who finished stuff last night, want this file because it has everything completed from 11-30 at 2pm through this morning (12/3)
    http://www.ryderocz.info/minecraft/world-burnt.zip

This is the current "World" file, this will have Kingpin's forest and fort intact.
    http://www.ryderocz.info/minecraft/world.zip.

Both of those should be able to go right in your .minecraft/saves folder, then renamed to world# (1-5)
  • BobbyDigiBobbyDigi ? R U #Hats ! TX Icrontian
    edited December 2010
    Thanks again Ryder, you gain +2 Server Admin Awesomeness. That brings you to a level 85racecrew!

Also thanks to Thrax for being smart and laying shit straight out. The more I think about it, the less I think we need the items on the chopping block. Just one question Mr Thrax can you elaborate on this:
    ...but the lava will no longer indiscriminately steamroll anything in its path.

Does that mean we can still pour buckets of lava but it wont flow or it just won't catch things on fire?

-Digi
    edited December 2010
    Ryder, if I may ask for one more favor yet... would it be possible to post one more world backup on your site? I would like to get one that had UPSLynx's hometree still intact. Hometree II burned on or shortly before November 9th.

Hometree II was the first thing I explored upon joining Minecraft, so I would really like to see it again. That, and I'm going to try and merge together world-burnt.zip and world.zip, and would like to try patching pre-burned Hometree in there as well, then post it on my site for anyone that wants it. Plus, I'm sure I'm not the only one who would like to see Hometree II again.

If you don't have it anymore that's cool. But if you do, I would greatly, and I mean GREATLY appreciate it. On behalf of everyone who would like to see Hometree II again, thank you very much in advance if you can do this for us! :vimp:
    edited December 2010
    Bandrik, I'll also look around for the map editing tools I mentioned. I know the one I used several times to try stuff out was MCEdit, but I had 3 downloaded at one point.
  • UPSLynxUPSLynx :KAPPA: Redwood City, CA Icrontian
    edited December 2010
    RyderOCZ wrote:
    What kind of proof do you want Bobby? I just showed you the whole server log, it logs everything (I can get more, all your conversations last night are there, etc).

No one was on the server between 11:03 and 12:whatever when Hitman found the burning. How are you going to tell me that someone set them without being on the server.

Full log attached

Take it easy man, I told you that I didn't care about finding out who did it. I just want it prevented in the future, no matter what.
    If we never find a compelling reason to think that a person started these fires, I'm willing to admit that I was wrong. However, my real point is that we need to prevent any of this kind of stuff from happing from here on out. We don't need unfortunate mistakes and such with the new server, and that's why I'm in support of banning those three objects.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited December 2010
    BobbyDigi wrote:
    Thanks again Ryder, you gain +2 Server Admin Awesomeness. That brings you to a level 85racecrew!

Also thanks to Thrax for being smart and laying shit straight out. The more I think about it, the less I think we need the items on the chopping block. Just one question Mr Thrax can you elaborate on this:

Does that mean we can still pour buckets of lava but it wont flow or it just won't catch things on fire?

-Digi

Lava won't flow on anything but stone with Llamacraft. If you want to build a contraption that includes lava with Llamacraft installed, you'll have to lay out a base of stone to control its path. In short, all Llamacraft does is prevent lava tiles from flowing over non-stone blocks: trees, players, critters and grass will be safe.
    edited December 2010
    RyderOCZ wrote:
    I will look into that Tushon.

http://www.minecraftwiki.net/wiki/Programs_and_Editors#Backup_Utilities

Much better list and the first one looked pretty promising, and the one I had originally linked is the third one (I think).
    edited December 2010
    Are we still doing this? Can't connect to server.
  • AnnesAnnes Tripped Up by Libidos and Hubris Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    edited December 2010
    Get in vent. It's where it's happening.
    edited December 2010
    Annes wrote:
    Get in vent. It's where it's happening.

whoaaaaaaaa
This discussion has been closed.