Official Icrontic Minecraft Server

Comments

• ardichokeardichoke Icrontian
    edited December 2010
    That's not a test. That's just judging worthiness of n00bs based on whether or not they have a basic grasp of the English language and how to type in it.

A test would be a completely separate entity used solely to judge worthiness. Everyone has to ask to be added to the list anyway though.
  • colacola part legend, part devil... all man Balls deep Icrontian
    edited December 2010
    I guess you could flatten the Noob house, just be careful, I accidentally placed a TNT block under the floor when I was first setting it up. And moving the portal is OK by me too, just keep it near enough to spawn so when the gate system finally begins working we can have an extremely quick way to get from place to place.
  • BobbyDigiBobbyDigi ? R U #Hats ! TX Icrontian
    edited December 2010
    cola wrote:
    I guess you could flatten the Noob house, just be careful, I accidentally placed a TNT block under the floor when I was first setting it up. And moving the portal is OK by me too, just keep it near enough to spawn so when the gate system finally begins working we can have an extremely quick way to get from place to place.

Pretty sure someone set off the TNT, that's why it has been rebuilt. As for the portal, it is annoying and in the way while they don't work. I say put the obsidian in a box in the safe house until needed.

Edit: I do agree that Portals will = Awesome when working in SMP, I agree at least one should be put up at spawn once working.

-Digi
    edited December 2010
    Oh, ok, then don't worry about it. I didn't know what to do about that TNT at the time, since I had placed it accidentally when pressing my Mic button :S. I'll take care of the gate.
  • ErrorNullTurnipErrorNullTurnip Illinois Icrontian
    edited December 2010
    Remember that you can still "defuse" tnt by igniting it in water. Players will take damage, but the surroundings will be left unchanged (eg. cannons).
  • TonyRockyHorrorTonyRockyHorror Alexandria, VA
    edited December 2010
    Looks like we got a pretty bad chunk error just north of town, right in line with the road from Grand Central. heh

http://www.screencast.com/t/20dpiLl15UR

http://www.screencast.com/t/527ZkHz3qSAW

http://www.screencast.com/t/sOmjkJYVLXz
    edited December 2010
    Aaaaaaaaaand, it must have just been me. Hah! I died and respawned, and the chunk had reloaded. Must have been a transient thing. Still, it was crazy to see.
  • AlexDeGruvenAlexDeGruven Wut? Meechigan Icrontian
    edited December 2010
    Well, at least you know where to go digging for some minerals, :)
  • CrazyJoeCrazyJoe Winter Springs, FL Icrontian
    edited December 2010
    I've seen that several times in the exact spot. Disconnect/Reconnect has solved the problem...
    edited December 2010
    I've been seeing those giant holes around the map in the most inconvenient places, but a quick disconnect/reconnect always fixes it.
  • CrazyJoeCrazyJoe Winter Springs, FL Icrontian
    edited December 2010
    So do you fall to your death if you jump in them?
  • SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    edited December 2010
    No, you just kind of bounce around until you jump back onto land. I get them ALL THE TIME in my mine. A little frustrating when you're just trying to get back to base to unload your stuff. :p
    edited December 2010
    Oh, also kind of interesting: if (like me) you just want to get somewhere instead of leaving and coming back, if you just "build" a 1-block bridge across the hole, those bricks magically show back up again, and you don't lose whatever you put down. That tends to be how I get out of my mines. :p
    edited January 2011
    Here's a glimpse into the IC town underground. Yayz for glitched chunks!

minecraftundergroundICtown.png
  • RyderRyder Kalamazoo, Mi Icrontian
    edited January 2011
    New Map with a custom color txt file.

http://www.ryderocz.info/minecraft/new_ic/icrontia_1-1.png
    edited January 2011
    RyderOCZ wrote:

Think you could put up a zip file of the current world, so I can run Overviewer on it?
  • ErrorNullTurnipErrorNullTurnip Illinois Icrontian
    edited January 2011
    ^this
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    edited January 2011
    cheaters!
  • ZanthianZanthian Mitey Worrier Icrontian
    edited January 2011
    edited January 2011
    Zanthian wrote:

That does look pretty awesome!
    edited January 2011
    MineInHell.jpg

Saw this and lold
  • TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    edited January 2011
    I lol at work
  • RyderRyder Kalamazoo, Mi Icrontian
    edited January 2011
    Think you could put up a zip file of the current world, so I can run Overviewer on it?
    http://www.ryderocz.info/minecraft/new_ic/ic_backup_1-1_1130pm.zip
    edited January 2011
    RyderOCZ wrote:

Awesome, thanks! I'll start a render on this as soon as I get home from work.
    edited January 2011
    Salutations fellow minecraft nerds. As I mentioned before, I'm willing to start hosting the Minecraft server at work once I build my new server. Since this will be for the good of Icrontic, I'd like feedback on what I'm looking to build.

http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/PublicWishDetail.aspx?WishListNumber=16366766

These are the parts I've picked out. Going to be running Debian Stable using linux RAID1 for the 2 160GB drives. Eventually I plan on adding a pool of storage to the server (though that wouldn't affect the Minecraft server at all). I will probably add a 2nd 6-core Opteron at some point as well, though I'm going to start out with just the one. Anybody have opinions about that? Problems with me taking over the hosting? I would also give access to a few select individuals to aid in the setup/admin of the server so that everything isn't dependent on me being available. I'm thinking this hardware should be sufficient to handle the server as well as regular automated backups and, perhaps, regular automated map generation.

So... what do you all think?
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited January 2011
    I'm willing to volunteer for administration. I'm usually available, and have Internet access about 18 hours a day.

//EDIT: I know Hey0 like the back of my hand. Ditto most of its popular plugins.
    edited January 2011
    Same here for the +7 hours on everybody.
    edited January 2011
    That would work for me, I know I can trust the two of you.

I plan on ordering the parts for this at the end of the week. If anyone has any feedback about the hardware specifically, you have until Friday to speak up. (If you can't see the WishList, please let me know, it's set public and the link works for me but that doesn't mean much and NewEgg's WishList system is wonky).
  • _k_k P-Town, Texas Icrontian
    edited January 2011
    10$ more would get you double the drive space and more cache. Also here is a kingston single stick 4GB 1333 for 68$, a 4GB kit is fine but the board can take a single 4GB stick and it seems like the more right choice in mind for buying server equipment without adding a huge amount to the budget.

None the less everything looks good from the quick once over. All the parts should fit together and nothing stands out as stay away from me.
    edited January 2011
    Good call k, incorporated your changes. The only reason I had the kit instead of the single stick was a holdover in the way I've always done ram (ie - matching sticks for dual channel mode/unganged mode/what have you). Also, we always do RAM in sets of 2 matching sticks around work for whatever reason. Some quick google searching has informed me that it really doesn't make a difference anymore.
This discussion has been closed.