Official Icrontic Minecraft Server

Comments

• _k_k P-Town, Texas Icrontian
    edited November 2010
    minecarts can travel up "stairs" so you can build them up hills. As pacifisto said skynet was built 3 blocks wide so that two tracks could be built and provide a walking space.

If we want to talk about a height for the new system i would suggest 3 blocks below cloud height.
  • BandrikBandrik Elkhart, IN Icrontian
    edited November 2010
    Speaking of minecart and track/road planning, I HIGHLY recommend everyone here to look into "Minecart boosts". In short, it uses a second cart in a separate track to help push your cart quickly, without the need of a powered (coal or wood-fueled) cart.

This video demonstrates a helper-cart to push your cart up a hill.

This other video is more applicable to us, and shows a layout for pushing a cart across a flat surface, and even allows for 2-way traffic with a second layout. Plus, it has a fun blooper at the end. :D

Again, seriously guys watch this. It'll help determine our Skynet 2.0 planning, assuming this trick will continue to work. Even if a new patch disables this, the track layout would still work just fine by itself -- we'd just add powered carts and fuel it ourselves.
  • PacifistoPacifisto Turnip Extraordinaire Michigan Icrontian
    edited November 2010
    As a matter of fact, I believe Notch has said himself that even if he removes that glitch, he'll add in some way to replicate it, like a block that accelerates any passing mine carts. So even if he changes it, it'll only take a minor alteration to the current plan.

Edit: and there's actually a better way that Error came up with for bidirectional boosts. I'll get him to grab a screenshot and post it. It's pretty ingenious and more compact than Bob's.
    edited November 2010
    Pacifisto wrote:
    I believe Notch has said himself that even if he removes that glitch, he'll add in some way to replicate it...there's actually a better way that Error came up with for bidirectional boosts. I'll get him to grab a screenshot and post it. It's pretty ingenious and more compact than Bob's.

Oh, sweet! A block like those things on Hot Wheels tracks that spins and propels the cars, or similar spinners in the Sonic the Hedgehog games that zip you along when you pass through them. That would be a great addition to the game (though for now I wish I could just use Minecarts at all).

Also, yes I definitely would like to see Error's setup. Though I still recommend everyone watch at least that second video I shared above to at least have an idea of how the carts move along the track to create the "boost" effect.
  • ErrorNullTurnipErrorNullTurnip Illinois Icrontian
    edited November 2010
    Minecart%20booster.png

Here's what I've been using. It's designed so that it will boost while traveling in either direction without the need to reset. Using just the 8 track segments in the middle will push me about 1Km. I suspect I can go farther with a longer booster, though.
  • pragtasticpragtastic Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    edited November 2010
    That's a really neat setup Error. Never thought of looping it to catch the boost twice, allowing for both a built in reset and bi-directional capability. Good work sir :)
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited November 2010
    There's also a trick that will allow for infinite boosting of a minecart by placing one perpendicularly atop another, then (I believe) pushing the bottom one onto a track. It's been about 6 weeks since I watched the video, so I will need to experiment.

There's also a way to make a circular boost that uses a 2x2 circle of track to boost carts heading in any cardinal direction.
  • the_technocratthe_technocrat IC-MotY1 Indy Icrontian
    edited November 2010
    I've been trying to replicate this, but in a more compact linear station:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0v5cAFYouWY#t=7m26s

I have a minecart station that's basically a subway now - it pauses for 10 seconds or so at the station, then leaves. But this one is pretty pro - it just waits until someone gets in a cart on top of a stone switch (only activates when someone is in the cart)

(note that this example is using a wooden switch to activate the station when an empty cart is present - the guy can't video record his explanation of the system and ride in the cart at the same time. Replace the wooden switch with a stone one and wire both to the redstone lead, and it'll work as an on-demand system)

edit: now all I need to do is figure out how to do a queueing system. I've seen a few - looks like a minecart pez dispenser. Reason being that if the railway loop is very long, you might want more than one cart on the same track at a time so you don't have to wait 5 minutes for the 1 cart on the system to come back. But since there's no guarantee the station will be clear, the incoming minecart needs to be put in a holding area until the station is clear.
  • the_technocratthe_technocrat IC-MotY1 Indy Icrontian
    edited November 2010
    Something like this would probably be more elegant and easier than the pez dispenser model. Will be trying this out tonight :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RC3d75qGBiA#t=1m00s
  • RyderRyder Kalamazoo, Mi Icrontian
    edited November 2010
    The server will be down for a good chunk of today. I need the system for testing.

I will do my best to have it up before 5pm :)
  • AlexDeGruvenAlexDeGruven Wut? Meechigan Icrontian
    edited November 2010
    I've been experimenting with on-demand minecart boosting on one of my single-player worlds. It works pretty well.

Essentially, you have a small pair of tracks working together in a standard boosting configuration. A stone switch at the start of the track you want to travel on allows you to set a cart without it triggering.

Get in the cart, and the switch plate activates a redstone gate to flip a track on the booster loop. That cart comes by and boosts you along to your destination, returning to its holding loop when the switch times out.

I'd post a video of mine, but it's ugly as all get-out. Maybe I'll clean up one of my sandbox worlds and build a workable example there.
    edited November 2010
    I'm really excited that we have some serious organization coming to the server next time. Probably.
  • TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    edited November 2010
    Pacifisto wrote:
    I'm really excited that we have some serious organization coming to the server next time. Probably.
    Yeah right.
    edited November 2010
    A man can hope, can't he?
    edited November 2010
    Server should be online.
    edited November 2010
    Speaking of, there's a new update to the server, which fixes the Skynet problems!

And I'm timing out trying to connect, FYI. I don't think the two are related, though. Notch said the server update wasn't necessary.
    edited November 2010
    The hMod is supposed to download the latest unless I am missing something in the config/command line.

I haven't even seen anyone trying to connect in the log.
    edited November 2010
    Ok, sorted that. Updated the bios on that board as part of my testing this morning. Did something to the Network ports and lost all my static IP settings.

Server up, but no update at the server download page.
    edited November 2010
    Looks like it auto-updated. We can stand on Skynet again!
    edited November 2010
    Minecraft.net was down last night, couldn't get the updated server jar file.

Seems to be working now :)

Oh Hey..... there is music in multiplayer!!
    edited November 2010
    Yep, there's been a few updates from Notch that I for one am very relieved to get. You can take a look at an entire list of updates on the wiki page here, but I'll list a few that I'm particularly happy for:

Well known things:
    • Portals added (don't do crap in multi-player yet though)
    • Ceiling re-raised (skynet re-available now)
    • New sunrise/sunset color effects (purdy)
    • Biomes added (when exploring, new areas can now be desert or snowscape)
    • Music now plays in multi-player

More subtle updates:
    • Time-telling watches added
    • Stairs now face the direction you place them (rather than some formula that often makes them face the wrong way)
    • More danger (spawns, etc) the deeper you go, so be wary of creepers deep underground
    • Fishing added (fishing poles do crap now!)
    • Door animations fixed (no longer "split" apart)
    • Minecart rails no longer crash the server (but carts don't work yet)
    edited November 2010
    Maybe I have been behind, not been on the server much lately, but who torched home tree, again?

Sigh.
  • TiberiusLazarusTiberiusLazarus Icrontian
    edited November 2010
    Wow...really?
  • WinfreyWinfrey waddafuh Missouri Icrontian
    edited November 2010
    Who torched the home tree in the home tree fire?

Thrax torched the home tree in the home tree fire!
    edited November 2010
    You're kidding!
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited November 2010
    To avoid any misconceptions: I did not burn the home tree. I haven't played more than about 5 minutes since September.
  • WinfreyWinfrey waddafuh Missouri Icrontian
    edited November 2010
    (you're supposed to say "who me?" then we all say "yes you!", "couldn't be" so lets pretend that all played out)

Then who?
    edited November 2010
    Not sure what could have happened. I personally haven't been anywhere near hometree for a week or so, and even then the flint and steel was secured.

Unless someone was careless with their lighter, it may have just been a glitch. I've seen things spontaneously combust that shouldn't have. Nowhere near fire, yet a tree would start burning. Don't know what else to say... except that this sucks.
    edited November 2010
    hometreenevahforgetthumb.png
    (click image for full version)
  • MyrmidonMyrmidon Baron von Puttenham California Icrontian
    edited November 2010
    DIIIIIIIICKS
This discussion has been closed.