Xbox One

Comments

• IlriyasIlriyas The Syrupy Canadian Toronto, Ontario Icrontian
    Same deal as @Mertesn they're changing this because it will effect sales had they agreed it was wrong they wouldn't have made the attempt in the first place.

If the changes go through it's to save their pocketbook nothing else.

PS4 will be the first Sony console I've ever owned, gotta say looking forward to it.
  • BobbyDigiBobbyDigi ? R U #Hats ! TX Icrontian
  • Well shit.... I was wrong. This never happens!

I would have actually bet money they would double down and stay the course, but you know, good for them. If they want to spin it, they can just say it was an idea slightly ahead of its time.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    I was betting on double down, too... but now we know how shrewd Microsoft is, and different people will definitely interpret that differently.
  • ChoochChooch K-Pop authority™, Pho King Madison Heights, MI Icrontian
    Still getting a PS4 over a Xbox One.
    JBoogalooUPSLynxGnomeQueenRahnalH102
  • AlexDeGruvenAlexDeGruven Wut? Meechigan Icrontian
    Microsoft knows that if they don't sell any consoles, they won't sell any games. And if they don't sell any games, the deals they ink with publishers are worth nothing.

Very shrewd.

I'm considering one again, myself. If the PS4 had HDMI in and the home media hub capabilities that the One has, I might have never turned back, but here we are.
  • KoreishKoreish I'm a penguin, deal with it. KCMO Icrontian
    "You talked. We listened, to our pre-orders falling." - Microsoft 2013
    ChoochUPSLynxRahnalH102JBoogaloo
  • mertesnmertesn I am Bobby Miller Yukon, OK Icrontian
    mertesn said:

UPSLynx said:

So this might be happening: http://www.giantbomb.com/articles/microsoft-to-pull-complete-reversal-on-xbox-one-dr/1100-4673/

I'll believe it when I see it. Honestly I don't know what's worse for MS at this point - keep the DRM schemes in the system, or fall back on their staunch stance to support it.

Still not buying it. Previously it was reasons. Now it's principle.
    Oh yeah, still requires Kinect. Principle plus reasons still.
    JBoogaloo
  • BobbyDigiBobbyDigi ? R U #Hats ! TX Icrontian
    mertesn said:

Oh yeah, still requires Kinect. Principle plus reasons still.

The Kinect comes with the XBone though. I admit I have TL;DRed most of this thread but why exactly is that a bad thing?

-Digi
    edited June 2013
    It's always on when the console's on. Staring at you.
  • ardichokeardichoke Icrontian
    Thrax said:

It's always on when the console's on. Staring at you.

Big Brother XBOX Is watching you
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    edited June 2013
    A problem that can be solved with a small slice of electrical tape.

Or just face the thing toward the wall when you're not using it. That's what I currently do with my Kinect. Otherwise it interprets every move I make as a desire to pause or rewind Adventure Time.
    BobbyDigi
    I'm sure the company that made the Pritect will be updating their product line quickly (if they haven't released something already).
  • CantiCanti =/= smalltime http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9K18CGEeiI&feature=related Icrontian
    I will bet that whatever changes they are claiming to make will last through launch and over the next few years they will slowly change things through updates until it is right back to what they originally intended. It will be what they want it to be even if it takes time. What the customers want will only matter long enough to sell a console.
    Ilriyaskless001JBoogaloo
    This is probably true, as well. Granted, most of the piracy arguments are directly from the mouths of publishers, so they'll be able to walk back on their changes as they bow to more and more of them.
  • erichblas2005erichblas2005 Your Native Texan Houston,Texas Member
    If I were to get a Xbox one they can have the connect if it will save 100.00
    Kinect is no longer a separate entity. It's not XBox One with Kinect, it's XBox One and one of the pieces is the Kinect. It's like the Wii sensor bar.
    CB said:

A problem that can be solved with a small slice of electrical tape.

But it's still listening. THEY are still listening.

Silliness aside, I think the Kinect is a great piece of technology. I just don't have a use for it. It needlessly adds to the cost of XBox One (for my use) and I can't disconnect it regardless of whether I'm playing a game that doesn't require it.
    I'm baffled as to how anyone genuinely believes a "small slice of electrical tape" is an acceptable solution to an always-on, always-listening device. I'm not paranoid that someone is going to mine the data of my very existence, but it's an ugly precedent.
    JBoogaloo
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    Thrax said:

I'm baffled as to how anyone genuinely believes a "small slice of electrical tape" is an acceptable solution to an always-on, always-listening device.

• SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    "They only changed their mind because of money."

"Duh." -- every company ever
  • BHHammyBHHammy Somewhere in Hell Icrontian
    Yeah, make no mistake- this wasn't because Joe Schmoe got up in arms on facebook. They changed their minds because they were getting universally panned by most major media outlets that even touched them, and were having companies like EA and Ubisoft backpedalling on their support for the console's DRM policies.

Seriously, if you get UBISOFT, a company infamous for some of the DRM shit they've tried to pull, to back off from your console for its DRM, then you KNOW you've fucked up.

They still don't give a shit about your rights as a consumer. If they did, they wouldn't have had the shitty comments they were letting Xbox support throw out be permitted PR rhetoric at all.

I'm glad they reversed their decision, but they'll have to stay this course for a good long while to regain my trust. The level of bullheadedness they put out on display for the past while ain't covered by a mere "my bad". They may have ensured that the Xbox One -won't- be DOA, but that doesn't mean they don't still have an uphill climb. Not to mention, they still have the aforementioned problems of the Kinect BS, AND the fact that they really don't have much in the way of exclusives to convince folks to buy (after all, Project Spark and Titanfall will be on PC).
  • erichblas2005erichblas2005 Your Native Texan Houston,Texas Member
    edited June 2013
    I just heard on engadget that ms still is going to implement the drm. That's total bs
    http://hothardware.com/News/Microsoft-Integrates-Xbox-One-Advertising-with-Kinect-To-Profile-Users-and-Deliver-Ads/

Congratulations, Microsoft. You've traded one terrible decision for a more invasive and distasteful one.
  • mertesn said:

http://hothardware.com/News/Microsoft-Integrates-Xbox-One-Advertising-with-Kinect-To-Profile-Users-and-Deliver-Ads/

Congratulations, Microsoft. You've traded one terrible decision for a more invasive and distasteful one.

Google has been doing this to all of us for years on, what I believe, is a far more invasive level -- especially if you use Gmail. I'm ok with it, and I'd be ok with Microsoft doing this as well. I guess it just depends on the person.

Google has been doing this to all of us for years on, what I believe, is a far more invasive level -- especially if you use Gmail. I'm ok with it, and I'd be ok with Microsoft doing this as well. I guess it just depends on the person.

Google is doing this with their applications, yes. But in my mind this becomes far worse when you're actively monitoring with a video device such as Kinect. It's a bit of tin foil hattery, but only so much because on some level this is exactly what Microsoft is doing with the XBox One.
    Jesus fucking christ. This secret peeking spying datamining bullshit is EXACTLY THE REASON PEOPLE ARE LEERY OF THE ALWAYS-ON KINECT. They have basically just completely validated about 85% of the complaints and fears folks had about this device being mandatory with the XBone.

Just...ugh. Why is it every single damn thing I continue to hear from Microsoft's mouth on the XBone just continues to be more and more bad news? Seriously, someone needs to take a Clue Brick and smack those folks upside the head a few times.
  • mertesn said:

Google is doing this with their applications, yes. But in my mind this becomes far worse when you're actively monitoring with a video device such as Kinect. It's a bit of tin foil hattery, but only so much because on some level this is exactly what Microsoft is doing with the XBox One.

I'm sure Google will be optimizing CPM based on what Glass sees as well. Google optimizes CPM based on your geographical location if you are a glass/google based cell phone user. Then there's facebook, which most of us let in to all of our personal information and get served very personal ads because of it. Meanwhile, Microsoft is looking at how many people are in the room to decide if it should advertise group based games or single player stuff. Maybe I'm being defensive, but I do think it is becoming a trend to hate Microsoft just like it became a trend to hate EA. Other companies do the same or worse and there just isn't the collective webernet rage.

Cool opinion, Dan bro.
    midga
    edited July 2013
    This is supposed to be a VIDEO GAME CONSOLE.

EDIT: This post consisted of more points than just this, but Prime zapped it.
    JBoogaloo
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    Oh my shit, I'm sorry. I accidentally edited your comment instead of posting a reply. Jesus, man, my apologies. Admin fail, hardcore.

I tried recovering your comment and I couldn't. :(
    JBoogalooChoochRahnalH102Jokke