Xbox One

1234568»

Comments

• primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    Anyways, my response was supposed to be this:

This is actually wrong. This is you projecting what you think it's supposed to be. At no point did Microsoft present this device as anything other than a home entertainment center hub. This is an internet-centric connected media server that just happens to play video games.
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian

This is actually wrong. This is you projecting what you think it's supposed to be. At no point did Microsoft present this device as anything other than a home entertainment center hub. This is an internet-centric connected media server that just happens to play video games.

Agreed. It's a name thing, though. If they had called the device 'MS Livingroom' or some shit, instead of 'XBox whatever', no one would be complaining about anything. They simply wouldn't buy it if they didn't like it, and that would be the end of it. Because it's an Xbox, people who have an Xbox feel like they're being forced to upgrade. Of course, from a marketing standpoint, that's exactly the reason that it's being called an Xbox.

They used the name to create some market power by associating it with a previously successful product, but the abundance of changes put fans of that product off their expectations, which makes them upset. It's the same thing that happened to Simcity.
  • BHHammyBHHammy Somewhere in Hell Icrontian

Well, excuse me for assuming a video-game-playing device advertised to be the successor to the most successful system of this previous console generation was actually supposed to be designed around playing video games. What a foolish person I am.

If wanting the Xbox to actually play games without a bunch of unnecessary trumped-up bullshit video datamining makes me antiquated, then bring out the rocking chairs and Ovaltine.
    primesuspectJBoogalooUPSLynxmidga
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    I'm not saying you're foolish. I'm saying that Microsoft's marketing for the last year or two has been towards moving away from a pure video game experience to an entertainment device. Read all of the jokes about "TV, TV, TV" when the Xbone was first announced. It's quite clear that they are NOT marketing this purely as a video game console, and you are saying "THIS IS SUPPOSED TO BE A VIDEO GAME CONSOLE" and I don't think they are presenting it that way at all.
  • IlriyasIlriyas The Syrupy Canadian Toronto, Ontario Icrontian
    I remember one of Xbox's selling points being the 'Ultimate home entertainment system' for the XboxOne

It's not supposed to be a video game console, not anymore it's a 'rented' PVR that happens to play games and until their little 180 you weren't 'buying' a system not in the traditional sense.

You were paying $400 upfront to rent their system and everything else that came with it. They were giving /you/ the privilege to have their system in your house and use all of it's features for whatever yearly fee they wanted. If you wanted to play video games, well you were going to be paying full price to be the 'sole' owner of said game copy.

It was only once they realized they'd be losing money by forcing people to effectively rent their system/games that they bothered to make the switch but I digress.

The XboxOne was never marketed as a video game console it's a home entertainment system that you pay a yearly fee to have the right to use in the first place.

I was never planning to get one, not before the 180, not after but I already have my 'home entertainment system' my PVR, my DVD player, and my PC and I don't have to pay a yearly fee for the right to use them. (Just, internet, cable, etc. but I paid that already the only thing that changed was the one day payment for the above)
    The major problem for Microsoft is that there's a ton of folks that feel the same way the Ilriyas and I do, in varying degrees.

I won't say you're wrong, but the very fact that someone is arguing this point against me in the first place shows how fucked this whole thing is. Just take a step back and look at it for a sec.
  • SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    "I won't say you're wrong, but you're so unbelievably wrong no rational person could see it any other way."

I won't say you have tunnel vision, but you're remarkably incapable of seeing any other side than your own, and I can't really blame you if you read material like what was linked. There was a grandiose leap at the end of that article where he implies the Xbox will show you ads in the middle of your game, as if that was in any way hinted towards in the information provided. With "reporting" like this, who needs attack ads?

You realize the extent of what's been mentioned here basically just adds up to using a "relatively limited" set of demographics data from the Kinect to change the ads that are available in the dashboard, right? Sure, that's not to say none of your other doom-and-gloom scenarios won't happen, but you're acting as if they are, right the fuck now, and that's patently absurd, especially when the console isn't even available. And you recognize that you are entirely capable of putting the Kinect facing a wall, right? And you recognize that targeted ads have been a part of our lives for probably the better part of a decade at least now, right? Google "reads" your email, your searches, your location data. Facebook tracks your likes, your friends' likes, your dog's likes. The "relatively limited" set of data, for all you know, simply includes the number of people in front of the Kinect and their heights, so it knows whether to show single/multi and/or kid-friendly ads.

You are absolutely blowing a gasket over what are currently imaginary scenarios, and you're not legitimately advancing your "don't buy an Xbox" cause at all.
    Uh...the point of my last post was that I was -conceding- the point to him, and saying that the fact that this is even an issue in the first place is ridiculous.

Relax, guys.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    Didn't seem like it. At all.
  • UPSLynxUPSLynx :KAPPA: Redwood City, CA Icrontian
    Meh. I don't want an all-in-one media center super internet video tv mega couch front device that also plays video games.

I want video games.

Not buying an Xbox One.
  • ardichokeardichoke Icrontian
    CB said:

Agreed. It's a name thing, though. If they had called the device 'MS Livingroom' or some shit, instead of 'XBox whatever', no one would be complaining about anything. They simply wouldn't buy it if they didn't like it, and that would be the end of it. Because it's an Xbox, people who have an Xbox feel like they're being forced to upgrade. Of course, from a marketing standpoint, that's exactly the reason that it's being called an Xbox.

They used the name to create some market power by associating it with a previously successful product, but the abundance of changes put fans of that product off their expectations, which makes them upset. It's the same thing that happened to Simcity.
    Is it just me or does this sound exactly like what Microsoft did with another one of their products recently? *cough*Windows 8*cough*
  • CantiCanti =/= smalltime http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9K18CGEeiI&feature=related Icrontian
    Ilriyas said:

It's not supposed to be a video game console

It's supposed to be the computer I built in 2009.

RahnalH102RyanMMIlriyasmidga
  • ChoochChooch K-Pop authority™, Pho King Madison Heights, MI Icrontian
    With all the recent changes to the Xbox One. Is anyone going to get one now or are you on the fence still with it?
  • Creeperbane2Creeperbane2 Victorian Scoundrel Indianapolis, IN Icrontian
    I'll only buy one one if they sell the damn thing in a combo pack with tannerite and a shotgun. Bout all the XBone is good for.
  • RahnalH102RahnalH102 the Green Devout, Veteran Monster Hunter, Creature Enthusiast New Mexico Icrontian
    If my gaming history is anything to go by, then it will come into my possession eventually. The first Xbox is the only "recent" system I don't own. So far Halo is the only interest I have in it and that's a ways away so definitely not on release.
  • Creeperbane2Creeperbane2 Victorian Scoundrel Indianapolis, IN Icrontian
    Thrax said:

GLORIOUS PC MASTER RACE

Heil Windows!

• CrazyJoeCrazyJoe Winter Springs, FL Icrontian

With all the recent changes to the Xbox One. Is anyone going to get one now or are you on the fence still with it?

Doubt it. I will most likely be switching back to Sony for the first time since the Original Playstation.
  • CantiCanti =/= smalltime http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9K18CGEeiI&feature=related Icrontian

Nope, never even considered it in the first place.

ardichoke
    I might in the future but right now PS4 is on my pre-order list.
    Why? Metal Gear Solid 5 will be available on the PS3. Who the hell needs a PS4?
    because I like to be a hipster like that.
    JBoogaloo
  • midgamidga "There's so much hot dog in Rome" ~digi (> ^.(> O_o)> Icrontian
    So, I've been thinking about getting a 3DS.
    CBChoochRahnalH102Creeperbane2
  • UPSLynxUPSLynx :KAPPA: Redwood City, CA Icrontian
    I'll get a PS4. I want dat Drive Club. and I can't play MGS5 on PS3, I need MUH GRAPHIX.

Despite all the turn arounds MS have done, I couldn't give a crap about the Xbox One even now. I won't be buying one.
    I feel Microsoft is saying "we're sorry. we fucked up at E3! we will change things! will you forgive us?"
    This guy got his XBox One two weeks early. Thanks Target.

Well Microsoft shut that one down pretty damn quick.
    sure did