Xbox One

Comments

• CycloniteCyclonite Tampa, Florida Icrontian

This might be the first-ever console that I won't buy.

Agreed.
  • RyanFodderRyanFodder Detroit, MI Icrontian
    I caved on SimCity, would not do again. It won't be hard for me to continue my non-console gaming this generation.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    Well after the PS4 presser, I think I'm jumping ship and going all-in with Sony. There will be jRPG exclusives for it, and it's looking better overall.
  • CrazyJoeCrazyJoe Winter Springs, FL Icrontian
    Yep, after looking at what's available if I do get a next Gen console I think I'll be picking up the PS4. I have my 360 and that is good for now though. I have moved my console into my office in our new house so I might get more use out of it. I just need a nice Sumo to lounge in.
  • fatcatfatcat Mizzou Icrontian
    $399 PS4
    JBoogaloo
  • SonorousSonorous F@H Fanatic US Icrontian
    400 for a PS4... I'll get off my soapbox now.
  • NiGHTSNiGHTS San Diego Icrontian
    edited June 2013
    Was very interesting to see the crowd's reaction to the used game announcement

Edit: skirted around what appears to be pay-to-play multiplayer, now, too
  • RyanMMRyanMM Ferndale, MI Icrontian
    Remember when the current-gen Playstation used to be more expensive across the board than other consoles released at the time?

Oh man, memories.
    edited June 2013
    Derp
    GnomeQueen
  • BHHammyBHHammy Somewhere in Hell Icrontian
    @RyanMM - Yeah, I remember that time. They were riding atop the runaway success of the PS2, and Xbox wasn't making any sort of bank for Microsoft til towards the end of it's lifetime. So arrogant were they, that they created a bulky alien brick of a system with a fucked-up architecture that was expensive/difficult to develop for, and tried to sell at such a high price, expecting people to play ball on their name alone. Meanwhile, all Microsoft had to do was not have their heads up their asses to fill the power vaccuum that the PS3 left.

Flash forward to this gen. Sony's shittier division has been ousted, and the people that actually HAVE a head on their shoulders are now at the helm. Meanwhile (as we have seen with how they've treated the issue with Windows 8 as well), Microsoft's got such a big head that they think they can't fail and people will buy their schlock, no matter what crappy restrictions they try to place on it, expecting people to play ball on their name alone. So basically, all Sony had to do was not have their heads up their asses to fill the power vaccuum that the Xbox One has left at E3.

Funny how that works.
    RyanMMardichoke
    The Playstation and PS2 both launched above the price of the other consoles at the time. Sony's always been more expensive, they just went full retard with PS3. They seem to have learned with PS4, meanwhile Microsoft got drunk and failed to go home and now they expect us to give up first sale doctrine and pay the premium for a Kinect we probably don't give two shits about.

They must be shitting their pants over at MS right now.
    RahnalH102
  • SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    I'd be surprised if they gave a shit at all. Sure, you guys care about jRPGs and 24-hour checkins, but Brosky McDerpface just wants to play CODBLOPS er Call of Dogs Ghosts, and by God, he's going to get that from the XBone so he and all his friends can call you mother-humping ni**erfa**ots while you're crying into your Day One commemorative controller.
    CyrixInsteadprimesuspectmidga
  • KoreishKoreish I'm a penguin, deal with it. KCMO Icrontian
    Well with the announcement of Kingdom Hearts 3 I'm now forced to buy a PS4 at some point. I love that series to much to let a a game go unplayed, let alone one of the main series games.
    JBoogalooRahnalH102
  • BHHammyBHHammy Somewhere in Hell Icrontian

Just listen to that applause.

I know I and other folks are being incredibly immature about this, but I think the harder we rub Microsoft's mistake in their faces, the more they might actually fucking listen to us. Lord knows nothing ELSE has worked in the past few years.

JBoogalooRahnalH102Cliff_Forster
  • The Xbox One is allot of cool, but..... Do the math, $500 for starters, a few next gen games, a live subscription, second controller, On launch day you probably would need $800 or so saved. Is it that cool? No... I already have a gaming PC and a Wii U, I'll pass.

You might have missed the part about the PS4 requiring a subscription for online play now as well. It was a bit drowned out in the collective sploosh of the masses over the used game business, though.
  • fatcatfatcat Mizzou Icrontian
    Snarkasm said:

You might have missed the part about the PS4 requiring a subscription for online play now as well. It was a bit drowned out in the collective sploosh of the masses over the used game business, though.

$4.99/month right? I believe Sony also said they will give 3 free games the first year with a PlayStation Plus subscription
    JBoogaloo
    edited June 2013
    $50 per year is what I saw, which is identical with Live (or more expensive, like those frequent $30/year deals, though PS will probably have them as well). Live will apparently also start giving you two free games per month while subscribed to Live, though I haven't looked any further into that (like whether they're terrible indie games or AAA blockbusters, etc.).

I'm not backing either of them, just pointing out that one of the pillars of the previous PS community (free multiplayer) has been lost.
  • mertesnmertesn I am Bobby Miller Yukon, OK Icrontian
    Are those free games free as in "this month you have them, next month not so much" or is it two games (selected by Sony) to add to your library permanently? I haven't quite figured that out.
    JBoogaloo
  • KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian

LOL I WANT A 100THZ 300 PETABYTE BACKWARDS COMPATIBLE WITH ALL PREVIOUS SYSTEMS AND NINTEDO GAMEBOY SLOTS AND NO ONLINE AN BLURAY 4K NINE SCREEN GAMING WITH 3D KINECT WITHOUT KINECT AND iOS ON IT

This has to be the most ridiculous thing I have ever read. There's no way Apple would let them put iOS on there.

JBoogalooCantiUPSLynx
  • Cliff_ForsterCliff_Forster Icrontian
    edited June 2013
    This is a good point @Snarkasm. I guess the bottom line for people that are interested in the Xbox One is this. Do I want to pay $100 more for an HDMI input that will help me control my cable box? Is there an exclusive title on the Xbox One I can't live without?

For me, I'll make due with my Wii U for awhile and just play my Blu Rays on a separate player. If I were forced to choose, I'd have to say Sony win's.

A. I believe Sony has the better exclusives now.
    B. It's $100 less for hardware that is comparable.
    C. I like being able to trade my own games if I please.
    D. I'm not sure I trust Microsoft to manufacture good hardware yet. I'll let the crowd beta test it before dropping a dime on it. (The Red Rings still haunt me)

Still, to be fair, the Xbox One's HDMI input, the instant smart TV media hub software is cool. It looks like it has great voice recognition and responds well to gestures. I like allot of what they are doing, but not enough to be investing on it at launch.
    JBoogaloo
    edited June 2013
    mertesn said:

Are those free games free as in "this month you have them, next month not so much" or is it two games (selected by Sony) to add to your library permanently? I haven't quite figured that out.

As long as you are subscribed to plus, you are able to play the games. I have a backlog of about 24 since subscribing across the Vita and PS3 a few months ago. It was a huge value add on Sony's part, and was successful enough that MS decided to follow suit.
    NiGHTS said:

mertesn said:

As long as you are subscribed to plus, you are able to play the games. I have a backlog of about 24 since subscribing across the Vita and PS3 a few months ago. It was a huge value add on Sony's part, and was successful enough that MS decided to follow suit.
    Ok, so subscription lapses and you lose access to those games, but that 'subscription library' is constantly growing and gaining value. I don't find that terribly compelling, but it is at least interesting.
    Correct, their biggest advantage was how little Live 'gave back' for your money.
  • GnomeQueenGnomeQueen The Lulz Queen Mountain Dew Mouth Icrontian
    So I got a bit behind on the console wars, being as I was on vacation during the Xbox information release. I was watching some of the PlayStation press conference last night, and I just ended up getting really confused as to how excited everyone was getting. How in the world could no penalties for used games, not having to sign into the network once a day possibly be news? Then I read the Xbone (I'm calling it x-bone, cause I'm cool like that) news, and realized why. Gotta say Microsoft, I'm disappointed.

I'm interested though, in how playing on the different networks will line up. Everyone has been telling me for years that XB is the superior console, because the friends network is so much better than on the PS. I wonder if that will be any different with the new consoles.
    Something else to factor in is that the $500 includes a (required) Kinect, while the PS4's camera accessory is not included in its price. I doubt many people will opt for it, but if we're comparing apples to apples, etc.
    edited June 2013
    (Blu-Ray license too, shh no devil's advocate in here)
    Snarkasm said:

Something else to factor in is that the $500 includes a (required) Kinect, while the PS4's camera accessory is not included in its price. I doubt many people will opt for it, but if we're comparing apples to apples, etc.

If I were to get an XB1 and Kinect were an optional component, I would decline Kinect. PS4's camera accessory uses would have to be extremely compelling for me to get it.