Overwatch

Comments

• WinfreyWinfrey waddafuh Missouri Icrontian

I actually think both @XGPHero and @Karma dislike the microtransactions in TF2

KarmaJBoogaloo
  • KarmaKarma Likes yoga Icrontian

@Winfrey said:
    I actually think both XGPHero and Karma dislike the microtransactions in TF2

troof. It was a dark day in my life when TF2 introduced microtransactions. Seriously fuck microtransactions. Fuck them to hell.

• UPSLynxUPSLynx :KAPPA: Redwood City, CA Icrontian

I do quite miss the days of Vanilla TF2, but we've talked every bit of talk there is to have over that topic.

I'm not really interested in microtransactions or F2P hooks in a game like Overwatch. However, I would love to see new "champions" added to the game on a semi regular basis. Makes me wonder how awesome a game like TF2 could become with years of character updates like LoL gets.

RyanFodder
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian

I would argue that we've had at least some character updates over the years in TF2. Demoknight, Ninjaneer, battle medic... These are all classes that never really existed 7 years ago.

Signal
  • RyanFodderRyanFodder Detroit, MI Icrontian

I was battle medic'ing before it was cool / weapons for it existed.

pigflipper
  • SignalSignal Icrontian

If they do microtransactions the way TF2 does it, why would it be a problem? TF2 isn't pay to win. You can craft almost all weapons or get them through achievements. Do you really think the company that has entire skill trees for crafting in games isn't going to let you craft weapons and cosmetic items?

JBoogaloo
  • MyrmidonMyrmidon Baron von Puttenham California Icrontian

@CannonFodder said:
    I was battle medic'ing before it was cool / weapons for it existed.

And he WON'T STOP, either (see: disc priest)

primesuspectRyanFoddermidga

you..... you're right... He's still a battle medic...

• mertesnmertesn I am Bobby Miller Yukon, OK Icrontian
    edited November 2014

@CannonFodder‌ lives by the code.

JBoogalooRyanFodderChoochTushon
  • IlriyasIlriyas The Syrupy Canadian Toronto, Ontario Icrontian
    edited January 2015

Any news relating to the beta?

I kind of really, really want to play as Tracer.

EDIT: Also this. http://gear.blizzard.com/index.php/default/overwatch-tracer-statue.html

Seriously debating getting one.

midga
  • trooster89trooster89 Are you from London? Icrontian
    edited March 2015

midga

@trooster89 They all died because lack of developer support and or caring. I ctan't speak to the EA one or Loadout. But the other big failing is trying to do/add too much Brink and Super MNC. Also fuck trying to appease console owners these types of game just aren't worth it on those systems.

I don't think we could ever accuse Blizzard of giving up on a game. I am still leary because damnit the are going to keep adding characters which is just going to bloat the game. What makes tf2 so great is that every class is incredibly well defined and instantly recognizable. Then they started watering down all the classes scouts can heal themselves you can snipe with scouts that the game got worse. SO my biggest worry with Overwatch is just the watering down of all heroes and shit. It's going to happen I hope there is a good year of it first.

• IlriyasIlriyas The Syrupy Canadian Toronto, Ontario Icrontian

I actually am looking forward to the introduction of new heroes over time.

Games like League and Dota have been doing it for awhile, introducing new characters that, while fitting a 'role' are all unique and for the most part tend not to overshadow other 'characters'

Done right it could be brilliant because if you see a character that you've learned you immediately know what they're capable of purely from a mechanical level and can work against that (See MOBAs)

My problem with TF2 came with the introduction of new items and weapons, classes I thought I knew now had the potential to be completely different. I still remember how bloody frustrated I was, and still am by the Dead Ringer because I can never be certain that they're dead for certain whereas with the Overwatch Character that can go invisible once I fill them with holes I know they're not getting back up.

Having variety in your game doesn't 'water down' anything if it's done right and honestly given their record so far I think Blizzard is going to do a really good job of it.

Oh there is nothing wrong with adding new characters.....depending on what type of game it is. I find balance to be far more important than variety in games. Especially in a roled shooter. I want there to be a solid fight with each character having it's strength and its weakness. While adding more and more characters to something it becomes harder and harder to maintain that balance. That's the biggest reason I am worried about it. Oh and the seemingly direction all games to be taken to this just obnoxious hero model thing.

It's all conjecture at this point I really hope I get into the beta to try this game.

My biggest problem with tf2 will always be pyro. Stupid shitty ass class ruining my fun.

• NullenVoydNullenVoyd Orlandish Icrontian

Actually really liked Brink, though with my gamingADD, every game is an every game killer.

midga
  • trooster89trooster89 Are you from London? Icrontian

@Karma said:
    trooster89 They all died because lack of developer support and or caring.

I feel like that's whats happening to TF2 now. There's an over abundance of community content. Its a delicate balance. The community is part of what has made tf2 great. I don't know how much (if any) community content Blizz will allow, But on the plus side the dev's care about the players and listen to their feedback. I'm excited for Overwatch. I just don't want to get my hopes up too high.

I don't know if I considered any of those truley threats to tf2 when they first came out. MNC is a moba and a completely different style of game. I do remember a lot of buzz over Brink, but that all quickly disappeared.

If feel like TF2 is definitely tapering off. And maybe the timing will be right with Overwatch to succeed. All that matters in then end is that I have fun while playing it and I'm sure that with a group form Icrontic that won't be a problem : )

• CelshCelsh Member
    edited May 2015

Gameplay videos!!!

BobbyDigiRahnalH102
  • FettBaconFettBacon Viscount Icrontian

An Overwatch Icon appeared in my Blizzard.net launcher and I got really excited but there wasn't a download button and I got sad.

trooster89
  • CycloniteCyclonite Tampa, Florida Icrontian

@FettBacon said:
    An Overwatch Icon appeared in my Blizzard.net launcher and I got really excited but there wasn't a download button and I got sad.

Me too. :(

• RahnalH102RahnalH102 the Green Devout, Veteran Monster Hunter, Creature Enthusiast New Mexico Icrontian

Overwatch will begin beta testing on October 27th

It will be a mix of closed beta time and open beta weekends.

BobbyDigi
  • UPSLynxUPSLynx :KAPPA: Redwood City, CA Icrontian
    edited October 2015

You guys, I just finished playing a couple hours of the beta, and it is absolutely superb. This is the same feeling of excitement that I last felt when TF2 was new and fresh. Icrontic is going to LOVE this game.

It's weird for me to admit this, but Team Fortress 2 has been stale for me for years. I still love the game, and it's easily one of my all-time favorite games. But I don't play it anymore, not unless Icrontic is filling the server. And even then, I'm having fun playing and yammering on with friends. There hasn't really been a new gameplay element to TF2 in probably five years that's gotten me excited to play it.

Overwatch feels like the exact evolution of what I'd want from a modern TF2 style game. It's a tight, fast, class-based objective-driven shooter that has quick rounds and nonstop fun. It takes so many notes from TF2 - hell, it downright steals from TF2 in some cases (for instance, "engineer" class can build a turret, and upgrades it with "scrap metal" found on the field by banging it with a hammer). There are classic TF2 style game modes, like push cart and cap/defend. A lot of this feels very familiar, and for me, that's extremely good.

Overwatch innovates in the small things, and those tweaks really make the game stand out. The characters are vibrant and unique, and much like TF2, have wonderful banter amidst themselves during matches. But this game is very much all about these characters and how they change the feeling of matchups. Unlike TF2, the characters classes are divided across 4 MOBA-esque roles. Attackers, tanks, support, builders. Super cool. And every one of them have play styles completely unique to them. You rarely find any attacks or abilities shared between characters. For instance, regarding movement abilities, one character might have a sprint ability, while another has a "blink" warp ability, and another has a "fly" ability that pulls them toward another player. When you mix all these characters together and duke it out on a map, everyone has their own thing going on and the fights feel unique and personal.

The visual language is fantastic, too. It reminds me of pre-hat TF2, where the characters all held very specific character silhouettes so that at immediate glance, you could tell exactly what they were and how to react to them in battle. From attacks, to abilities, to shape, and voice, the characters are truly unique and present the player with a lot of visual information.

One really neat feature that I noticed was that this game doesn't have a scoreboard. Sure, you can pull up a scoreboard, see all the players, who's alive and who's dead, but you don't see names ordered on the board based on their performance. In fact, the only K/D style stats I could see were my own. They don't even show you other player K/D stats at the end of game menus. Since I couldn't look at the board and compare myself teammate against teammate, I noticed that it helped me to relax and not stress about my individual performance. It helps the team work closer together, because topping a scoreboard for your team isn't even an option. You're all in it together, and that freaking rules.

This game is going to be HUGE for Icrontic when it releases. I cannot wait to play it with all of you.

Also, Mercy is best hero, but a Torbjörn is fine, too.

Resplendent.

@primesuspect I'm happy to install this on your PC at ICOK so people can check it out if you're willing. Or any other available ICHQ gaming PC for that matter. You guys will flip out.

PirateNinja
  • KoreishKoreish I'm a penguin, deal with it. KCMO Icrontian

I've been flipping out for awhile.

Yeah @dark_arches talked it up quite a bit. I am excite.

• Anybody want to join me in giving the Battleborn beta a shot while we wait on access to this one?
    https://rsvp.battleborn.com/

• RahnalH102RahnalH102 the Green Devout, Veteran Monster Hunter, Creature Enthusiast New Mexico Icrontian

I did get the Battleborn beta, but I'm still scanning my email and the launcher periodically for Overwatch.

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian

Got into the beta. It's pretty damn awesome. A worthy successor to TF2.

UPSLynx

@Thrax said:
    Got into the beta. It's pretty damn awesome. A worthy successor to TF2.

FUCK YOU

UPSLynxPirateNinja

@primesuspect said:
    FUCK YOU

Real talk: did you log into your bnet account online and request beta access? I did it about 8 days ago.

I say "worthy successor," but I'm not sure it'll be a great fit for how Icrontic uses TF2. The games and maps are small. This is an FPS MOBA that feels like TF2, so it's like 6v6. There will be no 24-man Icrontic TF2 nights in this game.

primesuspect

It's going to be fun having another game to kick all of your asses in.