Overwatch

1192021222325»

Comments

• ZanthianZanthian Mitey Worrier Icrontian

• colacola part legend, part devil... all man Balls deep Icrontian

Zanthian
  • @RahnalH102 said:
    I understand that the question might be rhetorical and you're just venting, but I wanna take a crack at it for the sake of what I think might be an interesting discussion.

Disclaimer: I don't actually know how the mechanics of the MMR system work. Just spitballing based on conjecture. So keep that in mind.

My current understanding is that the system tracks your performance in the game, compares the results against averages for the heroes you played, time taken, etc, and scores from there. More meta concepts like positioning, when to stick together, when to engage and how, etc can't be easily measured by the system. So while one may understand those meta concepts, if his or her performance, even if outstanding in the matches, is still relatively average when compared, then the placement will still be "low".

Like I said though, this is just me spitballing. I don't touch ranked at all for the same reasons I haven't touched it in any other game except Hearthstone (not that much either. The rewards are just easy to get.) The closest thing I've got for understanding this is an app on my phone called OverSumo which basically does all that I mentioned before, but gives me that data to look at. Websites like OverBuff or OverwatchTracker will provide you with the same kind of data since they are all working off of Blizzard's API. Since it's that kind of data that is tracked by Blizzard, that's why I assume it has to do with how you get ranked. You can study your stats, see where you are strong and where you are weak, and then try to improve yourself since you aren't likely to improve anyone else unless you're dedicated teammates and can work together on that.

In other fewer words, mechanical skill, game sense, and teamwork are all quite important when figuring out how good you are at a game. One of these is pretty easy to measure and may do the heavy lifting when it comes to climbing that ranked ladder especially early on, but you'll still need to master the other two if you want to climb even higher.

Anyway, just an outsider's perspective. How do you all think these ranked ladders work in particular?

Honestly, I figured if I would post my ramblings here there would be someone with insight. I appreciate it. I'm confused, I felt like I did fantastic in placement and the result was less than expected. I'd love to know how to get better, but I don't feel like the game provides any useful feedback. I much prefer the competitive environment in this game. So much hinges on your teammates being invested, it makes playing more rewarding. I just wish I knew how placement worked, what I could do to improve my rank beyond helping teams win.

• RahnalH102RahnalH102 the Green Devout, Veteran Monster Hunter, Creature Enthusiast New Mexico Icrontian

Aside from analyzing your stats like I mentioned before, another method I've heard of for trying to improve is to record your matches and then go back and watch them, especially with a friend or two/a coach, to analyze playstyle and stuff that's not so easily shown by stats. And a philosophy that's supposed to be quite helpful is, when it comes to performance during and right after a game, focus on what you are doing/did, rather then analyzing your teammates. Ultimately, you aren't likely to change how your teammates perform unless its in a very controlled and dedicated scenario (as in you're part of a pro team/dedicated ranked team.) So all that energy is better spent looking at what you did well, and what you could have done better. Otherwise you're more likely just putting energy into developing animosity.

If you perform analysis like this you'll probably improve relatively quickly. If you just continue to play and enjoy the game, you'll also improve, just at a lower rate comparatively.

GnomeQueen
  • RahnalH102RahnalH102 the Green Devout, Veteran Monster Hunter, Creature Enthusiast New Mexico Icrontian

Alright, since I don't have any official Blizzard word on it, this is purely conjecture, somewhat backed by "data" I've noticed on my end.

I first noticed shortly after the Doomfist update that I felt I was getting a lot fo Doomfist items in Lootboxes. This was also at the time of the "You'll get a lot less dupes" change to lootboxes as well. I also noticed the number of unlocks on my hero gallery were relatively even on all the heroes except Doomfist, so I figured that the loot boxes are likely to give you stuff for heroes you don't have much unlocked on. I continued to observe over time and indeed Doomfist caught up to all the other heroes pretty quickly. By the end of the Halloween event, Doomfist had nearly caught up to everyone else. Afterwords I started getting a lot more dupes again. Jump to today and Moira just came out. Got two lootboxes pretty quickly. out of the 8 drops, there was 6 Moira drops, 1 coin drop, and 1 player icon (also Moira related but since it's not directly tied to her I'm counting it separate.) Before Moira, I had an average of 63 unlocks per hero. She gets added and immediately gets the next couple lootboxes almost all to herself.

So in conclusion, I'm fairly certain lootboxes will lean towards giving you drops for your least unlocked hero. Probably proportionately compared to the others.

BobbyDigi

Moria has a skin titled "Whiskey"

confirmed waifu status @UPSLynx

RahnalH102GnomeQueen
  • So Moira is out of an Ayn Rand story then?

• CantiCanti =/= smalltime http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9K18CGEeiI&feature=related Icrontian
    edited February 2018

• trooster89trooster89 Are you from London? Icrontian

I really want to like this game, but its freaking scrub city every time I play.

edited April 2018

everyone else is trash

ChoochSoda
  • CantiCanti =/= smalltime http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9K18CGEeiI&feature=related Icrontian
    edited June 2018

• Cliff_ForsterCliff_Forster Icrontian
    edited July 2018

I'm a huge fan of the new endorsement system. I've noticed a massive improvement in player attitudes already.

The Symmetra re work is too extreme. I like throwing a lesser number of turrets for more damage but her ultimate, that teleport vs. shield mechanic was so cool and I hate that it's lost. To me a well placed tele or shield generator was one of the most rewarding team ultimate's in the game and now it's lost in favor of a shield that becomes an eye sore and distraction every time it goes up. Not a fan.

Wrecking Ball, I played him in the PTR, there is some potential there but the huge problem is this hero is designed in a way that the maps were never really designed for, see he has to do a sort of Spider-Man swing in to be really effective in controlling space and there are not enough places to hook onto to make him really fun and rewarding to play in that sense. The game already has a tank with canons and shields that is infinitely easier to control. I don't think Wrecking Ball we see a lot of play time, plus Mei counters the shit out of him.

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian

I think Hammond is the most fun and exciting hero in the game. I absolutely cannot wait for him to go live. His skillcap is astronomical and he's so rewarding to get right.

• @Thrax said:
    I think Hammond is the most fun and exciting hero in the game. I absolutely cannot wait for him to go live. His skillcap is astronomical and he's so rewarding to get right.

I hope he will be useful as a counter to a pirate ship. I can see how he can initiate a fight, I just find him frustraiting because getting that perfect high momentum swing aimed at a specific target is so difficult.

• pigflipperpigflipper The Forgotten Coast Icrontian

@Cliff_Forster said:
    I'm a huge fan of the new endorsement system. I've noticed a massive improvement in player attitudes already.

The Symmetra re work is too extreme. I like throwing a lesser number of turrets for more damage but her ultimate, that teleport vs. shield mechanic was so cool and I hate that it's lost. To me a well placed tele or shield generator was one of the most rewarding team ultimate's in the game and now it's lost in favor of a shield that becomes an eye sore and distraction every time it goes up. Not a fan.

I haven't see Sym in comp or quick since the rework

• @pigflipper said:

@Cliff_Forster said:

I haven't see Sym in comp or quick since the rework

I know they did not introduce her in the new competitive season. I honestly feel like this has ruined her. I'm not a fan of massive character overhauls. Tweaks for balance, sure, adding a new hero to counter something unbalanced, that is great but if you enjoy a hero and they suddenly go, you know, let's completely re imagine this, it's like they take a chunk of the game away from you. D.Va was a good re work, okay, matrix lasts too long, everyone wants her to just matrix away the whole time, we will shorten it and give her some mini rockets to make her more fun to play, fantastic, she still has her kit, but it's re worked intelligently to balance her out. She is the same yet different, and I am fine with that. Symmetra is completely different. Her canon does not lock on, well, as annoying as that is, it's great access for people that don't have great aim or maybe have a lousy monitor and can't see the game all that well. Her teleport ult when placed well was such a rewarding team ult, that is gone in favor of a weird shield that is nowhere near as unique and rewarding to use. A huge part of playing her was to set up that nest around the teleport or shield gen, it was a strategic moment for a character that was low skill cap otherwise. I do like the idea of throwing the turrets and less more effective ones, I think that is a cool change, but that could have been a tweak vs. a complete all at once overhaul that makes the character feel she was more or less removed from the game and replaced by her evil twin. Oh and that new short teleport is completely useless except allowing junks tire to go through which they could have done with the old tele and that would have rocked. I should be running the Overwatch.

Or: They identified a character that was damn near unkillable in a well placed defense, could chew through any character (especially tanks) with her broken lock-on death ray, and had such a skinny profile that she's quite difficult to hit with most characters. Symetra was what I define as un-fun prior to her rework, and any change to the contrary is a step in the right direction imo.

ThraxpigflipperCantiMassalinie
  • @cola said:
    Or: They identified a character that was damn near unkillable in a well placed defense, could chew through any character (especially tanks) with her broken lock-on death ray, and had such a skinny profile that she's quite difficult to hit with most characters. Symetra was what I define as un-fun prior to her rework, and any change to the contrary is a step in the right direction imo.

Nerf the ray a bit and let her eat some Ice Cream, wider hips, more junk in the trunk, bigger target, Problem solved... There were far simpler solutions for balance than, let's completely re work her for the third time. It sort of makes me appreciate the TF2 approach. There is this core game, but you can change out equipment to suit your playstyle. In Overwatch you go wherever the Blizzard blows.

• Sometimes I think to myself... I'll quit the Overwatch, move on to another game, but then I make a clutch play and start to wonder if the world needs a middle aged pro tank. Look out kids, I'm starting the grumpy gamers league.

Cliff_ForsterSoda

• GnomeQueenGnomeQueen The Lulz Queen Mountain Dew Mouth Icrontian

Lol so when do we get Bob?

CBMassalinie

When he does something.

• BobbyDigiBobbyDigi ? R U #Hats ! TX Icrontian

He's Ashe's Ult

-Digi

GnomeQueen
  • I recently bought Overwatch . And I’m lucky I found it in very good price ! Can’t wait to start this game

GnomeQueenMassalinie
  • trooster89trooster89 Are you from London? Icrontian

That rng tho

• CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian

I got all voice-lines and sprays. Not one skin. Bah-humbug.

• RADARADA Apple Valley, CA Member

Looks like Fallout: In Space, with some WoW spice for extra flavor.... Love the trailer.