If geeks love it, we’re on it

Howdy, Stranger!

You found the friendliest gaming & tech geeks around. Say hello!

Overwatch

KoreishKoreish I'm a penguin, deal with it.KCMO Icrontian
edited Nov 2014 in Gaming

So Blizzard is finally taking a bite of that FPS pie, in their newest game Overwatch. Not to much is known right now, but it looks like a team based FPS eerily similar to that old Icrontic favorite Team Fortress 2.

You can see gameplay and cinematic trailers here as well as sign up for the Beta.

Edit:
Clicking on each characters portrait on the bottom gives a character trailer as well as a preview of their ablilties.

«13456723

Comments

  • MyrmidonMyrmidon Baron von Puttenham California Icrontian

    Literally just finished watching the trailers to find you'd posted this.

    I'd be pretty okay if they just turned it into a movie. The cinematic trailer was pretty cute.

    midga
  • MyrmidonMyrmidon Baron von Puttenham California Icrontian

    Also - IMMEDIATE beta opt-in. yes pls.

    Koreish
  • ThraxThrax Professional Shill, Pokémaster, Watch Slut, Mumble Hivemind Drone Austin, TX Icrontian

    Team Fortblizz 3. Sure. Looks fun.

    Koreish
  • BobbyDigiBobbyDigi ? R U #Hats ! SoCal Icrontian

    In

    -Digi

    Koreish
  • IlriyasIlriyas The Syrupy Canadian Toronto, Ontario Icrontian

    Reinhardt looks fucking COOL totally in for this.

    Koreish
  • PirateNinjaPirateNinja I don't know how to not Icrontian

    Maybe this will light a fire under Valve's butts. I doubt it. Signed up for the beta!

    Koreish
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian

    Looks awesome. I'll play, of course, but... Here I am to play devil's advocate.

    I wonder how much Valve's openness and willingness to cede control to the community has helped TF2 cement its place and if Blizzard will be influenced by it. TF2 would have died years ago if not for the vibrant community, and Valve's celebration of mods; from the community-contributed items to maps and even game modes. Valve made the game good, the community and opennness made it GREAT. It will be interested to see Blizzard's approach. Cute and awesome doesn't equate to longevity.

    KoreishGnomeQueenNullenVoyd
  • KoreishKoreish I'm a penguin, deal with it. KCMO Icrontian

    I agree with you Brian, but Blizzard usually makes games to last. Look at how long the WoW community has thrived, people still play Diablo 2, Diablo 3 is now a playable game and they still have another expansion to go, the Starcraft Community has been around even longer than WoW. Hearthstone Heroes is the perfect 20 minute game, that people can take with them everywhere, and is usually second only to MOBA's in terms of most watched on twitch.

    Blizzard is a lot more controlling than Valve is, they're not going to "give up control" of an IP, but I think that they'll find a way to make this game last. Time will tell, and the best place to get a feel right now is on the Beta.

    RyanFodderMAGIC
  • MyrmidonMyrmidon Baron von Puttenham California Icrontian

    Oh, Hearthstone Heroes. You've found a way to displace Diablo Demon in my heart.

  • KarmaKarma Likes yoga Icrontian
    edited Nov 2014

    @primesuspect said:
    Looks awesome. I'll play, of course, but... Here I am to play devil's advocate.

    I wonder how much Valve's openness and willingness to cede control to the community has helped TF2 cement its place and if Blizzard will be influenced by it. TF2 would have died years ago if not for the vibrant community, and Valve's celebration of mods; from the community-contributed items to maps and even game modes. Valve made the game good, the community and opennness made it GREAT. It will be interested to see Blizzard's approach. Cute and awesome doesn't equate to longevity.

    As probably IC's biggest TF2 player, TF2 SHOULD have died years ago. AS in I wish it had died years ago.

    Also this looks awesome, though the last FPS game I got really excited for was Brink and that one ended in such bitter disappointment.

  • WinfreyWinfrey waddafuh Missouri Icrontian

    It looks kind of like a mix of TF2 and Monday Night Combat. Could be fun. It has to be F2P though to compete with TF2 though doesn't it?

  • NiGHTSNiGHTS San Diego Icrontian

    Definitely Super Monday Night Combat vibes

    PvP remnants of Titan, apparently.

  • AnnesAnnes Tripped Up by Libidos and Hubris Alexandria, VA Icrontian

    I...might actually play a game again! My question - in a lineup in the cinematic you see a Western Wolverine looking dude but didn't see him in the gameplay video or on the website. Who IS that handsome animated devil?

  • FettBaconFettBacon Viscount Icrontian
    edited Nov 2014

    I'm really not getting the TF2 vibe for this beyond its an FPS with various characters (not even sure they're classes after looking at their descriptions). Feels more like a FPS take on a MOBA like Monday Night Combat was.

  • HeroHero formerly known as XGPHero Icrontian

    looks really cool, i think ill have to try it when it comes out.

    did anyone else notice that the security guard was playing hearthstone??

    JBoogaloo
  • UPSLynxUPSLynx Top EA shill, The Dean of Computer Graphics Redwood City, CA Icrontian

    I'm just glad that for once, a studio showed an awesome cinematic trailer, and then IMMEDIATELY followed up with gameplay footage that not only looked awesome, but actually met the cinematic visual quality at a near one to one level. Love the style of this, and I can't wait to play it.

    Ilriyas
  • SignalSignal Icrontian

  • JBoogalooJBoogaloo This too shall pass... Alexandria, VA Icrontian

    Im in on this.

  • shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian

    pkew pkew

  • RahnalH102RahnalH102 the Green Devout, Veteran Monster Hunter, Creature Enthusiast New Mexico Icrontian

    The future of power suits!

    GnomeQueen
  • Church4252Church4252 K-Pop authority™, Pho King Madison Heights, MI Icrontian

    lol I bet you someone from Blizzard saw that and already written up a bug report.

    [Deleted User]
  • KarmaKarma Likes yoga Icrontian

    @Church4252 said:
    lol I bet you someone from Blizzard saw that and already written up a bug report.

    It's not a bug it's a feature. And also yes it was all over the internet.

  • KoreishKoreish I'm a penguin, deal with it. KCMO Icrontian

    @Annes said:
    I...might actually play a game again! My question - in a lineup in the cinematic you see a Western Wolverine looking dude but didn't see him in the gameplay video or on the website. Who IS that handsome animated devil?

    Apparently, Blizzard plans to add more heroes to the game, so this does seem like it is going to be an FPS/MOBA

  • waxwax A mere 2800 feet north of Detroit Icrontian

    I played quite a bit of it at BlizzCon this weekend. It's got a really polished look and feel but it needs balance changes/map redesign. After my friends and I discovered some cheese strats, we were working kids over left and right. Koreish is right about the additional heroes like a MOBA. Rumor has it, it will be free to play with microtransactions.

    midga
  • HeroHero formerly known as XGPHero Icrontian

    ugh microtransactions... id rather pay for the game.

    JBoogalooUPSLynx
  • KarmaKarma Likes yoga Icrontian

    @wax said:
    I played quite a bit of it at BlizzCon this weekend. It's got a really polished look and feel but it needs balance changes/map redesign. After my friends and I discovered some cheese strats, we were working kids over left and right. Koreish is right about the additional heroes like a MOBA. Rumor has it, it will be free to play with microtransactions.

    Whelp I guess I won't be picking this one up.

    JBoogaloo
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ @TheButterflyman Icrontian

    Well, TF2 has micro-transaction, and lots of us still play it. But, I'm not sure I trust Blizzard to do it right. At least not at first. The way they tried to monetize the ongoing play of D3 was a disaster, but they did fix it later, to their credit.

    I'll wait and see if they do it right before dismissing it out of hand.

  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian

    lol @ "Overwatch F2P and Microtransactions? fuck that" vs "TF2 F2P and Microtransactions? My most-played favoritist game of all time"

    RyanFodder
«13456723
Sign In or Register to comment.