If geeks love it, we’re on it

Howdy, Stranger!

You found the friendliest gaming & tech geeks around. Say hello!

Why grown-ass men love My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic so much

Comments

• edited Dec 2011
    I would like to thank whoever made this article, it's kind of the only reason more than 2 people know I watch this show. It's also made me meet a lot of other fans (and even a few bronies and pegasisters)on the internet and away from it.

Just one problem, that's not how you spell Vinyl Scratch, Everyone!
  • I watch MLP:FiM with my 3 year old daughter all the time and my wife can't believe it! By the way fellas.. Fluttershy is my best pony, so much so that i think i got a crush!!
  • Pinkie is best pony......And Fluttershy.
  • C:\Users\Caroline\Pictures\imagesCAOYH7A2.jpg

Indeed.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect HumanGarbageDisposal Detroit, MI Icrontian
    C:\Users\Caroline\Pictures\imagesCAOYH7A2.jpg

Indeed.
    Hi @Caroline. You need to host your image on a file sharing site, such as Minus or Imgur in order to post it on the forum.
  • This article and thread has made me a Brony and I have not watched a single show yet... Downloading season 1 now... (I don't think my internet is fast enough for a live stream... Torrents are my only option...)
  • Ok, so with the first 3 shows downloaded, I started watching. Everything was cool. I found it quite cute, till Pinkie started singing. Once that preppy pony started singing I had to put off the sound to prevent brain damage. Once she stopped, everything was cool again... So far, I like it, but Pinkie irritates the hell out of me. (As do all real life girls with the same personality.)
  • UPSLynxUPSLynx The Dean of Computer Graphics Redwood City, CA Icrontian
    I found it quite cute, till Pinkie started singing. Once that preppy pony started singing I had to put off the sound to prevent brain damage. Once she stopped, everything was cool again... So far, I like it, but Pinkie irritates the hell out of me. (As do all real life girls with the same personality.)

You are the FIRST person I have ever heard say that they didn't like the music and/or Pinkie Pie. That's..... weird.
  • Pinkie Pie seems to get less irritating a few episodes later as I've watched on, and as her character develops she seems less of a bratty-preppy-blond stereotype combo and more of a super upbeat fun loving girl. I guess some of the characters will have to grow on me, and I'll have to get used to the incredibly super cute nature of the show. Plus, a high pitched girl voice is not present in any of the music I've ever listened to, but after 6 episodes, the theme song has gotten stuck in my head, and not in an irritating way either... Heck, I guess it is like olives, I never liked olives, but now, I can't get enough of them, I'll eat a 500ml jar of olives in one sitting...
  • BobbyDigiBobbyDigi ? R U #Hats ! SoCal Icrontian
    Heck, I guess it is like olives, I never liked olives, but now, I can't get enough of them, I'll eat a 500ml jar of olives in one sitting...
    That, my friend, is what we call a Pony Stream

-Digi

That, my friend, is what we call a Pony Stream

-Digi
    Real talk™
  • IlriyasIlriyas Magician, Sunbro, Grossly Incandescent Toronto, Ontario Icrontian
    We've tmed Real talk? Sweet.

Also I was thinking of running a stream tomorrow for anyone who needs that 'Pony fix'
  • How many shows do you guys show in a pony stream? I did watch like 6 shows in a row... (And would have watched more if it downloaded faster...)
  • IlriyasIlriyas Magician, Sunbro, Grossly Incandescent Toronto, Ontario Icrontian
    How many shows do you guys show in a pony stream? I did watch like 6 shows in a row... (And would have watched more if it downloaded faster...)
    We generally watch around 2 (Or at least I'm awake for two XD)

We also watch a ton of smaller commercials and whatever people want to add to the stream playlist.
    We actually watch 4 or 5 episodes per stream, you're probably just too blitzed to remember :D
    We actually watch 4 or 5 episodes per stream, you're probably just too blitzed to remember :D
    Maybe the holiday/weekend streams XD, otherwise I've got that bloody 12:30 bs, don't worry once I hit uni I'm going to stay up through the whole thing.
  • I'm reading my first fanfic, (It takes a Village.) and I find I like the fanfiction even more than the actual series! As someone who wants to become a writer and journalist, and who has read many, many books, I am STUNNED at the quality of writing. The incredible use of adjectives is what impresses me the most, followed close by the good story telling technique...
  • This show must die. Now.
    I didn't get MLP until i watched the first few episodes. Even then i just thought it was a good show, and didnt understand the community aspect.
    .... just read the ENTIRE thread. Now I get the community thing, cause this is the most awesome comment thread I have ever read.... no flames or trolls or insults....
    you guys rock! (and i almost feel like a stalker...)
    I didn't get MLP until i watched the first few episodes. Even then i just thought it was a good show, and didnt understand the community aspect.
    .... just read the ENTIRE thread. Now I get the community thing, cause this is the most awesome comment thread I have ever read.... no flames or trolls or insults....
    you guys rock! (and i almost feel like a stalker...)
    That is indicative of Icrontic in general. Welcome! Stick around and you will see what I mean. Why not register and introduce yourself?

-Digi
  • this show has taken a huge effect on my life , so much in fact im doing a report on it for my english 4 class xD
    this show has taken a huge effect on my life , so much in fact im doing a report on it for my english 4 class xD
    Go for the gold man

*Brohoof*
  • Why is the OP so set against fanfiction? O_o There's some damn good MLP literature out there (Past Sins, Fallout: Equestria, Eternal, etc.).
    Why is the OP so set against fanfiction? O_o There's some damn good MLP literature out there (Past Sins, Fallout: Equestria, Eternal, etc.).
    I wrote my reasons why here: http://icrontic.com/discussion/comment/803546#Comment_803546

Long story short - breaking proper canon bugs me, and I don't like the abundance of sex put into a universe in which it doesn't belong.

I have read a few fanfics, though. I try to find the ones that lack that which I just described. I've read "Friendship is Tragic", "Our Last Goodbye", "My Little Dashie", "Cupcakes" (heh), and I recently started "Fallout: Equestria". They're starting to grow on me, now that I know where to look for fanfics that are categorized.
    We don't take kindly to clopfics around here.

On the note of SFW fics however I quite enjoy reading a lot of them, recently I've been making use of EQD's Simple Story Archive because they've got everything ranked and labeled so that I can see what the content is.

At the moment I'm reading a western fiction (Will edit link in later tonight) a few stories about The Great and Powerful Trixie! Fallout Equestria, Its a dangerous thing going out your door, etc, etc.
  • For fanfics, go read http://www.fimfiction.net/user/wheller

Dude's written enough in his series of stories to actually fill out five or more four hundred page novels. In his spare time...

There are a ton of fanfics out there that are really worth it and filtering through the junk is tough but http://www.fimfiction.net/story/3562/Gilda-Versus-Knitting fics like this make it more than worth it.
  • It's amazing how the words BEST PONY cause many of you to mispell words... I've seen Pinkie Pie mispelled a dozen different ways.
    PINKIE IS BEST PONY.
    PINKIE IS BEST PONY.
    PINKIE IS BEST PONY.
  • i dislike mlp im not saying the storyline isnt good its just that i dislike the constant cuteness its made mostly for girls not grownass men
    Dudes can handle cute, too.

Just not.. too much cute.
  • AnnesAnnes Tripped Up by Libidos and Hubris Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    You, sir, should write a novel.
    "I have no punctuation, and I must write"
  • I'm a 46 year old single dad (both of my kids are teens) who is now a TOTAL brony. My 15 year old daughter got me hooked. I am very open about my love of the show, and am always encouraging other adults to "throw out everything they know -or think they know about My Little Pony and check it out. The character development is amazing, the morals are great and the storylines and humor get to me every single episode. I'm not bothered that people bash on the show. I realize it is because they don't actually know it and have some prejudice issues from it's former incarnations. By the way, I am college educated, have 23+ years on my job, (where I do a lot of heavy lifting with warehouse/dock worker/construction worker types. Bronies come from everywhere. Anyone can relate to this show if they give it a chance. Love and tolerate... and check it out. I certainly brought back a lot of optimism in my life.
    I'm a 46 year old single dad (both of my kids are teens) who is now a TOTAL brony. My 15 year old daughter got me hooked. I am very open about my love of the show, and am always encouraging other adults to "throw out everything they know -or think they know about My Little Pony and check it out. The character development is amazing, the morals are great and the storylines and humor get to me every single episode. I'm not bothered that people bash on the show. I realize it is because they don't actually know it and have some prejudice issues from it's former incarnations. By the way, I am college educated, have 23+ years on my job, (where I do a lot of heavy lifting with warehouse/dock worker/construction worker types. Bronies come from everywhere. Anyone can relate to this show if they give it a chance. Love and tolerate... and check it out. I certainly brought back a lot of optimism in my life.
    Gah! That is so awesome. Thank you for sharing. Anything that allows a father to bond with his child (any ages) is The Best The Best The Best in my book. Good for you for embracing that. FIM has definitely allowed for bonding of friends of all types through our pony streams.

-Digi
  • I love this show. I really do. This fandom's great and all too. Well mostly tho. I just really hate rule 34. With a passion. Like really? Common guys! I wouldn't mind it so much if it was just on a tiny corner of the internet and all, but it's all over my favorite pony YouTube videos! WHY!?!?!?!?!
  • You know i never thought i would love this show so much i would read about why i love it......and REAL MEN WATCH MY LITTLE PONY:FRIENDSHIP IS MAGIC B***H!!!!! and and Rainbow Dash is F****N sweet
  • Fucking idiots >:(. can't believe all the retards that watch this crap. 2 of my best friend's aren't friend's anymore. Why? Cuz they watched MLP, they changed a lot, we argued about it and they even swore at me >:(. fucking ugly retarded piece of crap show...>:(
  • I watch this show. I'm a brony but I don't go around and ask my friends TO watch it. That sounds like a selfish idea.
  • I couldn't even get past the theme song. I like the characters, but can't get past the story. I kinda feel the same way about HomeStuck. Love the characters, but the story is too...yeah. Probably take another crack at in in a few years.
  • (Portuguese - Brazil) Bom não podemos falar nada praticamente, pois todos temos liberdade de fazer o que bem entendemos contanto que não perturbe a liberdade dos outros. Eu já estou farto desses poneis, não há um forum sequer que não tenha um velho falando que "assiste show dos poneis", poxa ainda se fosse uma criança daria para engolir mas um velho de 36... sem comentarios! Essa porcaria irrita, fui uma vez assistir um video que apareçeu aquela coisa rosa dizendo "oi sou pinkpie!", se tivesse uma bazooka ^^... O mais interessante é que tem bastante gente nessa merda olha a quantidade de comentarios que fizeram, no meu caso entrei para dizer isso mesmo porque não há um raio de lugar que haja comentarios nessa escala '-.-. abraço a todos!
  • Fundamentally, MLP means to me what it means to the narrator of My Little Dashie.

The community is cool but I don't consider myself a participant in it because I only know two fans MLP and I've never drawn anything on deviantart / uploaded anything to youtube / written any fan fiction. I don't consider MLP a community experience or watching it a way to rebel against cultural norms. MLP is a work of art that I enjoy on my own just as I would enjoy a good film on its own merit. Everyone has a few unusual things they enjoy, and one of mine happens to be a cartoon about ponies. That's pretty normal for me, already a huge fan of Avatar: The Last Airbender and Spongebob long before encountering MLP.

Possibly the most important aspect of MLP to me is that it is a springboard for fan fiction. Sure, it's a cute and well written cartoon, but there is some incredible fiction (My Little Dashie, Somewhere Only We Know, It Takes a Village, and many others) that uses the lighthearted characters and relationships as a vehicle to evoke emotions I didn't know I had. I have pretty good taste in film and literature, and I tend to gravitate toward heavy and even grimdark depictions of humanity. My favorite films are psychological thrillers (Alfred Hitchcock, Christopher Nolan) and crime dramas (Martin Scorsese, Vince Gilligan). MLP and fan fiction derivative of it balance my tastes by reminding me that I do have a heart to experience joy and sadness, not just a mind to analyze plot or to ponder the state of mankind.
  • You all should be ashamed for liking this shit. REALLY. Unless you're all 10 years-old girls.
  • The exact reason why i am watching this, i knew Faust for her work on many Cartoons. Foster, the Powerpuff girls and the Iron Giant where simply amazing. Then, when one of my friends told me that Faust had made THIS. I started watching the show step by steps, episodes by episodes. I found it pretty gay at the start, but watching the community growning and growning. I started to find it actually pretty fun and cute. I CAN'T GET MY EYES OFF THE COMMUNITY AND THE SHOW.

(Pardon my poor english)
  • Brian AmbrozyBrian Ambrozy HumanGarbageDisposal Detroit, MI Icrontian
    Why do everybody this show?
    You tell me.

(I don't remember so many non-reg rage posts in this thread. Kind of hilarious)
  • primesuspectprimesuspect HumanGarbageDisposal Detroit, MI Icrontian
    Now that front page comments bump the post properly, you'll see all the delicious rage.
  • CantiCanti =/= smalltime http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9K18CGEeiI&feature=related Icrontian
    My favorite is this guy.
    Fucking idiots >:(. can't believe all the retards that watch this crap. 2 of my best friend's aren't friend's anymore. Why? Cuz they watched MLP, they changed a lot, we argued about it and they even swore at me >:(. fucking ugly retarded piece of crap show...>:(
    He's so intolerant that he can't have friends. That's hardcore.
    edited Apr 2012
    ^That is freaking hilarious.

Also holy crap this still exists I thought the last updates on this page were in January.
  • RAINBOWSRAINBOWS Lisbon/Rainbow Land
    RAINBOWS HERE DOES NOT APPROVE!
    Seriously, what the fuck internet! Can someone explain me why are there so many people crazy for this in a clearer way? Hm?
    Here's a rainbow by the way.
  • Thanks For Giveing An Answer I hope That Are More Mens In Netherland Watch FIM Beceuse i want not the only that watched it in netherland.(I Love Rainbow Dash She Is Just The Best Pony)