Team 93 Blitz

Comments

• mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited February 2004
    I saw the nice increase Prime. I sure did.
    edited February 2004
    Lost a 1.5 Ghz CPU due to a power surge.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited February 2004
    ouch. That sucks. Lose anything else?
  • fatcatfatcat Mizzou Icrontian
    edited February 2004
    fatcat wrote:
    2500+ (running stock) should be added in oh....um...say...gimme about an hour;)...top 100 baby!

well ok...im 24hrs late...but its up and crunching on a gromac now...i love when a mobo comes and it needs a bios update before it will boot...fun fun :D
  • DogSoldierDogSoldier The heart of radical Amish country..
    edited February 2004
    According to my calculations, the new machine crunched 16 Work Units and brought in 677 points in 7 days. Not too shabby.

2.4c @ 3.Ghz, [263 FSB] AS5+Stock HSF, P4P800, 2x256 Crucial 3200 @ 5:4, 2.5-3-3-7. XP Pro

I'm looking at getting another system in 3 weeks. Same setup but with a 2.8c and better DDR.
  • qparadoxqparadox Vancouver, BC
    edited February 2004
    I've finally gone orange and still have another T-bird 1.4 (no sse D:) to get online. I've also got another processor that doesn't want to run SSE stably so between those two I think I can add another 350-400 pts / week. That gets me up to ~3k / week. w00t!.
  • edited February 2004
    I shall be joining the coveted orange club here in the next few days too. I'm very close now but these two nodes I'm getting together will put me over and then some. Those 2400's are pumping 'em out very nicely :)

KingFish
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited February 2004
    qparadox wrote:
    I've finally gone orange...
    I Know... :rolleyes2

Great job, Q! :cheers::fold:
    edited February 2004
    Well we lost the internet as well. Been down shortly after the surge.

I lost a HDD as well. Not sure if it was related by it started clicking and wont reboot.
  • a2jfreaka2jfreak Houston, TX Member
    edited February 2004
    Grrrrr! I added a box last night hoping I would knock you off the my threats list but NO you had to go and be underhanded and sneaky like this. I see how it is. Prepareth thine self for war! ;D
    KingFish wrote:
    I shall be joining the coveted orange club here in the next few days too. I'm very close now but these two nodes I'm getting together will put me over and then some. Those 2400's are pumping 'em out very nicely :)
  • edited February 2004
    a2jfreak wrote:
    Grrrrr! I added a box last night hoping I would knock you off the my threats list but NO you had to go and be underhanded and sneaky like this. I see how it is. Prepareth thine self for war! ;D

I'm arming myself as we speak. I've even did a little overclock for you. Don't think I'm leaving your threat list. I've got to deal with dancer in the meantime. He's putting up quite a fight.

KingFish
    edited February 2004
    Well, sir, I guess I will just have to O/C a bit more and bring forth more minions to my army. I shall call upon the sword of the Athlon XP and shall put forth the word to the Pentium of III that its assistance would be met with great reward. Long live the Kingdom of a2jfreak and all who dwells within her walls.

My steed shall surely serve me well!
    KingFish wrote:
    I'm arming myself as we speak. I've even did a little overclock for you. Don't think I'm leaving your threat list. I've got to deal with dancer in the meantime. He's putting up quite a fight.

KingFish
    edited February 2004
    One more thing, good sir. I did outfold you today by 21.5 points. :D
  • edited February 2004
    a2jfreak wrote:
    One more thing, good sir. I did outfold you today by 21.5 points. :D

That was today. Tomorrow is a new day (with another node up). I was spanked yet again by dancer though :( :sad2: At the rate he's going he's going to pass us both up like we were standing still.

KingFish
    edited February 2004
    He'll pass you up, anyway. ;D;D;D

I have until sometime in August to ready my forces! :D
    KingFish wrote:
    That was today. Tomorrow is a new day (with another node up). I was spanked yet again by dancer though :( :sad2: At the rate he's going he's going to pass us both up like we were standing still.

KingFish
  • edited February 2004
    The KingFish armada is headed your way a2j. Dancer will probably pass me up as I cannot muster enough cycles at the moment but hopefully that'll change in the weeks to come. Looks like you have until 2006 at the moment to get ready for me.

KingFish
    edited February 2004
    DAMNIT!!! I bust protein to stay ahead of QCH and now we lose internet and my 1k+ lead is gone like that. Not only that but I will be down on production since I lost a CPU as well. We wont even have a chance at getting the internet back until Tuesday when someone can come out ot our apartment.

I have my 2.3 GHz AMDs still folding with some genomes but I am not sure how many days that will last. :bawling: :bawling: :bawling: :bawling: :bawling:
  • KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian
    edited March 2004
    Just added a 1GHz PIII and 2.5GHz P4.
    edited March 2004
    Took down one of my 2.3GHz Athlon rigs today for about 2 hours. Upped it to 2.4GHz. Upped the vCore a couple of notches and ran Prime (CPU test, virtually no RAM) for about 90 minutes and all seemed fine. I'll check on it in the morning and see if it crapped out on a WU. Only 100MHz difference, and I lost 2 hours of folding, but I figure that time lost will be more than made up for in a couple of days if the O/C stands. If not, then oh well. You win some and you lose some. If it does stand for a couple of days I think I'll try to 2.5GHz w/ another notch or two on the vCore and see what happens. Also, I got my XP-M 2500+ in today and my new fan so maybe I can set that up tomorrow or the next day. 2.5GHz or better? I sure hope so! I think it's very doable. The 1800+ 1.5v chip is @ 2.4 right now on a PAL8045 + Delta screamer. The XP-M will have an SLK-900(U) on it and an 80mm TT. I think the SLK + TT will prove to be a better cooling solution and pairing that with the XP-M I think I'll have a winner on my hands! :D:D:D
    :fold::fold::fold:
  • Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own way Naples, FL Icrontian
    edited March 2004
    Well, the Barton 2500+ box is chugging at 2800+ speeds. The P4 is chugging faster at 3.1 GHz even, and not progressively overheating. So, am ramping up my end also. Blitz is on, as they say. Above 18,500 points actually, at time of post, plus two partly done WUs. Guessing 180-210 points per day (it WILL float up and down) average will be forthcoming if summerish heat does not force me to slow boxes down too soon.... :D

John D.
  • TheBaronTheBaron Austin, TX
    edited March 2004
    i just slapped on my -service tags and added another 2.8c, w00t w00t
    edited March 2004
    TheBaron - the -service tag seriously increased my production. :woowoo:
  • edited March 2004
    Is there any documentation showing that doing the -service tag improves performance versus the graphical version? On my main gaming rig, a webserver box I have plans for, my wife's computer I built, and my laptop all have the gui version running 24/7 under a login. I have control of them so I know they stay logged in. What kind of performance, if any, would be gained by switching them over to the console version and servicing them? On all my farm nodes (3 now) I run the console version serviced. On my home computers the gui version is rarely called up and just sits in the system tray. Two of them have 512MB ram and the other two have a gig. All run winxp. If it's really worth the effort I'll convert them over to being serviced.

KingFish
    edited March 2004
    Kingfish:

The -service tag helped me for simple reason: one of my farms is 10 machines at a client's office. F@H is installed as a service, but people log off and on all day, and sometimes three or four people will be sharing the same machine. So, there are lots of logoffs and logons. Previously, I had the service installed under the primary user's account on each machine, so whenever they got logged off, F@H would sort of enter this "suspended" state. The process was still running, but it wasn't doing anything. Only a reboot would get it folding again. Therefore, efficiency was very low. I estimate that each computer only folded 25% of what it potentially could have if I had discovered the -service tag sooner.

Now, with -service, F@H stays running even when the user logs off. That was the key for me. I really don't think it has any effect on performance whatsoever.
  • edited March 2004
    I can certainly understand why one would want to do add it as a service in your described situation. I would do exactly the same thing. The reason I asked is because I've watched task manager for a while and noticed that "winfah" consumed very few resources (as opposed to the core) while sitting in the system tray. I did not restore the window from the system tray to see what effect that drawing the molecules would have. "Winfah" rarely used even 1% and usually sat at just 0%. I was wondering if, for computers I had control of and know they stayed logged in as a single username, there was any performance difference. I also suspect that there is little or no difference but was wondering if anyone had come across another forum or site that directly compared the two or if anyone here did it for themself. I may convert them over to console and service them anyway just for the heck of it because you can't go wrong with the console version combined with a system service.

KingFish
    edited March 2004
    winfah and fah3console and fah4console consume very little CPU--that's the way it's supposed to be. Basically, they're "wrapper" programs. They wrap the core and display back to us what the core has done.
  • edited March 2004
    I understand the wrapper concept. I was wondering if one wrapper consumed more than the other wrapper. In other news, I've finally gone orange :clap: . I desperately needed to it to fend off dancer. He's still gaining fast. As a last ditch effort, I ordered another node from newegg in the weeee hours. Three are up now, fourth is on order. Blitz is on baby!!!! :thumbup

KingFish
    edited March 2004
    I need to check on the system O/C'd to 2.4GHz. I checked it last night before I left and it killed my WU :( and then downloaded two or three more and those had an EARLY_END too. I upped the vCore but couldn't stay any longer to keep an eye on it to see if it was dying or not. Hopefully not, but if so then that's OK. 2.3GHz is still a nice O/C and produces decent points.
  • Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own way Naples, FL Icrontian
    edited March 2004
    Talking about blitz, Shorty is two to 2.5 weeks out from being passed, by me. So far today I have 123 points, in last 24 hours per EOC I folded 176.

ATM, the P4 is providing about 65-68% of the production. The Barton is getting more small WUs overall, the P4 mostly bigger ones in complexity and points. The P4 got a smaller p814 (smaller for the newer Gromacs) and proceeded to do the last 18% of it in one hour, while I was browsing, picking up email, defragging HD during that work (all at once, defrag ran a bit slower, did a decent job). I think the P4 is stable. For a northwood OC, not bad.... The P4 is actually a 2.8 rated CPU (OC'd to 3.1 GHz), and environmental temps (in Florida) are what is keeping me from OC'ing the CPU more ATM.

John D-- who likes controlled OCing.... :D
    edited March 2004
    Well, the system just was not stable. Shame too. I lost a WU that was not far away from completion (yeah, I should have saved it, but I didn't even think about it until it was too late) and then every other WU--even after another vCore jump--died. Oh well. Like I said earlier: You win some and you lose some. I lost that one. Just consider that a small gift, KingFish. You won't overtake me, though! You will be denied! :)

Hopefully my XP-M 2500+ will do better. I am hoping I can work on it tonight.