Team 93 Blitz

Comments

• LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited March 2004
    Just added three new office machines - all Dell Octiplex P4 2.8 models. They aren't set up yet in workspaces; but I've got them all in my personal office folding. They are sharing a dialup Internet connection with my laptop, as the lappy's internal telephone modem was the only extra we had around. Without a spare router in the office, I have to individually connect each Octiplex via patch cable to the laptop one at a time to send and receive work units - clumsy, but it works. This should continue until sometime in August when I leave the Army. Hopefully by then our computers will be connected via fiber to the base's Exchange and Internet servers. But for now, it's extra units for the cause (and it will keep me in the Team's 'top forty', hey hey).

I've ordered a four-port KVM switch from Newegg that should arrive tomorrow. That will make checking folding progress on the Dell trio so much easier.
  • EyesOnlyEyesOnly Sweden New
    edited March 2004
    Nice going guys. :) Keep'em comming. :fold:
  • Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own way Naples, FL Icrontian
    edited March 2004
    EyesOnly wrote:
    Nice going guys. :) Keep'em comming. :fold:

Then there is Jonshandbrake who will be passing me in August.... They have some good tuned folders in Australia..... :D

And when Shorty gets his replacement HD back and installed, I will get to look out for him. I've only turned in almost 370 points in last 24 hours, but that is a stats glitch (not a problem, just finished 2 160 point 858's plus a littler one (which showed up at Stanford a short time ago and has me at 22502 points now) so far today in UTC time cycle -- which is what the folding logs use).

No, not boasting, strongly urging others on. Especially THRAX.... :D I will pass him, at current weekly prod rates, in 4.5-6 days if something does not happen on his end. the P4 is putting out about 72% of my combined production right now, and I have not even ordered parts to replace the Barton and the MSI KT4VL motherboard yet (with a P4 mobo and CPU, CPU speed and type will depend on pricing and income at time).
  • mcwcmcwc Vancouver, BC Member
    edited June 2004
    Finished building a new computer for my brother. An Athlon XP-M 2500+ @ 2.5GHz folding for the team, specs in my sig. Waiting to get an Duron 800MHz today for my dad's machine and adding that to the team too.
  • csimoncsimon Acadiana Icrontian
    edited June 2004
    Found a rogue box today sending points to "anonymous (team 0)" whoever that is ...has been doing so about 3 months I figure.
    So chaulk up another 1.68ghz of athlon xp greatness!
    edited June 2004
    Add to the list a computer I just built/rebuilt for my sister - AMD XP (Barton) 2500+. Yup, she leaves this computer and the one I built for her last year (XP 2000+) running 24/7. I tune up her system(s) every so often, and check in on her folding (name Leonardo :bigggrin: ). It's 100% reliable. Wish things weren't so concerning all the spyware her kids download onto her puter!

Two months ago a built my daughter an AMD Barton 2500+ system as well. I don't know how many hours/day it's running. She has a very small dorm room; so I won't hold it against her if she shuts down the computer at night.
  • edited July 2004
    After farm node #1 went down over a month ago with a PITA hard drive problem, I finally got it back up and running. I also added another node to bring the total farm nodes up to 6. Add to that five other home computers running 24/7 and you can say the farm is taking shape. One other box that a friend runs fold regularly so the total is 12 regular working computers folding for team 93.

KingFish
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited July 2004
    One of my three "as-yet-unwired" home computers is back online after slinging cable through the house. My 2400+ is once again folding 24/7 after about 3 months downtime. :thumbsup:
  • MedlockMedlock Miramar, Florida Member
    edited July 2004
    While it would prolly be safer to leave my computer off with my crappy psu, turning off hyperthreading allows my computer to <strike>not crash</strike> keep folding! :thumbsup:
    edited October 2004
    Time to renew the blitz :grr:

I added a sempron 2800+ and a P3/1000 today :rarr:
  • entropyentropy Yah-Der-Hey (Wisconsin)
    edited October 2004
    I've rejoined, but only during the day (can't take the noise at night, but we'll see how things are in my new room) :)

(Oh, and I refuse to run the memory-intensive ones. They sicken me. So I'm not sure how much that'll affect my output, but I just won't do it...)
  • QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    edited October 2004
    Added four P4's @ 3.2 GHz each (hyperthreading turned off) but running at 80% to make sure no problems so 2.6 GHz each for a total of over 10 GHz. More to come!!!!
    edited October 2004
    Are your systems BIOS-locked out of hyperthreading? Some crappy corporate computers with el-cheapo motherboards (including Dells) are that way. If possible, you really should run those P4s with two instances each via hyperthreading. HT is only a advantage over non-HT in some multitasking applications. Folding happens to be an application that performs beautifully under HT. 80%? I don't understand what problems you are trying to avoid. I've experienced no problems whatsoever with HT/two F@H instances running 24/7 on my IC7/P4C rig. I can even defrag the hard drive with Folding running.
  • QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    edited October 2004
    With many of our users, they look at the task manager and freak when any application pegs the cpu at 100%... even if doesn't seem to bother the performance. I am avoiding any potential problems. Besides, we run McAfee antivirus Corporate version. This tends to kill our systems when it scans at the level that my boss set.

As for the the HT... We ordered the systems with HT disabled (most users want 3.2 GHz on one task not 1.5 GHz on one and the other 1.5 GHz idle)... I will be running mine with HT enabled... Photoshop, VMWare, and Outlook... need as much power spread around as possible.

I haven't seen any write-ups on running two instances of F@H v5 as a service.
    edited October 2004
    Talk to any of us here at S-M who run P4s Folding in two services in HT, versus the same CPU employed with one Folding instance, not HT. HT + 2 Folding clients = VERY healthy production.
  • gibbonslgibbonsl Grand Forks AFB
    edited October 2004
    how do you do that?

2 clieants at the same time
  • edited October 2004
    I added two 1.0 GHz p3's today. We are about to order 5 3GHz machines and I get to configure them too. mwahahaha. If I can get off my lazy tail I'll get two more laptops (1.0 GHz each) up and running with folding too. The blitz has been on over here, just too lazy to post about it anymore.

KF
  • gtghmgtghm New
    edited October 2004
    i'm adding a K6 450 this weekend + my Lappy is now folding as often as I can have it on shore power. :)

"g"
  • deicistdeicist Manchester, UK
    edited October 2004
    I'll be adding 2 more 2.4 P4s on monday hopefully..... actually, if I can get my remote login to work I can add them from home today :)
  • MedlockMedlock Miramar, Florida Member
    edited October 2004
    I've added a 1 GHz G4 Mac lappy, but only when it's on AC power. It cuts an hour off the battery life when I run it off the battery. :-/ Production on my HT P4 has been way down lately...

I don't know how to copy what's on my screen on this mac so I'll just post a link...

http://folding.extremeoverclocking.com/team_overtake.php?s=&t=93

Tech report's set to overtake us in a few days. There's not much stopping them either, unless we can increase our production by ~50% within the next few days... :bawling:

EDIT:
    deicist wrote:
    I'll be adding 2 more 2.4 P4s on monday hopefully..... actually, if I can get my remote login to work I can add them from home today :)
    Oh well. I tried as hard as I could to hold you away. You're already going 3x faster than I am though! Congrats! You'll probably blow past me today or tomorrow.
    /me bends over :wtf:
  • deicistdeicist Manchester, UK
    edited October 2004
    well to be fair I do have 6 or 7 machines folding away for me :D
  • dragonV8dragonV8 not here much New
    edited October 2004
    Sally added her new P4 3.2g notebook just as a single. Also made up another P4 3.2g at that time. This is a few weeks ago.

Hopefully next time i'm home another P4 3.2, but that will have to be it for us. Really going out on a limb.
  • edited October 2004
    how many farm nodes do you have at your house now Jon?
  • HotrodsunHotrodsun Salem, OR
    edited October 2004
    Just rebuilt my dual opteron 242 system that should help a little bit. I am working on getting another box going.
  • Josh-Josh- Royal Oak, MI
    edited October 2004
    I'll start folding on the 3 other comps here, however, they are quite slow.
  • dragonV8dragonV8 not here much New
    edited October 2004
    KingFish wrote:
    how many farm nodes do you have at your house now Jon?

With the new P4 3.2 to be finished off, 13 desktop and 2 notebook computers.
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited December 2004
    I added my 1.6 P-M last night since I got my Dell yesterday. That pretty much replaced my 1.6 Athlon that I lost since I had to give the CPU away. Looking to get a CPU to replace that as well. I might switch out the old K7S5A for my old KX7 to get more power from it.

We need to ramp up our production here fellas. The Apples are coming.
  • rc1974rc1974 Grand Junction, CO
    edited December 2004
    Although slow and probably will only do one WU per month, I added my old Pentium 233 laptop. In addition, I am running an Athlon 64 3200+, an Athlon 64 3400+, and an Athlon XP 2600+. I do have an old K6-2 333 machine that I could add as well.

If I could scrounge up some funds(money), all I need to build another machine is a CPU and PSU. This would be probably an Athlon 64 2800+ or a Sempron 3100+, the cheapest CPU's I can find for the board I have.

BTW- anyone else running low MHz (500MHz or less)? How much can they do in the average month in terms of folding?
  • edited December 2004
    I added about 4GHz this week and by the looks of it I'll need it to even stay in the top four for producers nowadays with the 600 point work units out there.

I don't have any low MHz machines out there rc but if so I'd delegate them for the timeless work units as they may not be able to handle the work units with a deadline in time to make the cut.

KF
    edited December 2004
    I run several Pentium 2s between 266 and 450mhz.. They don't do much individually, but added up they contribute a few points a month. I have no idea of the exact numbers. It takes several days per WU, I can tell you that much.