DIMES project - Team Short-Media?

primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' BoopinDetroit, MI Icrontian
edited November 2007 in Folding@Home
Hey guys.

I created a Team Short-Media today in the DIMES project .

From their website:
DIMES is a distributed scientific research project, aimed to study the structure and topology of the Internet, with the help of a volunteer community (similar in spirit to projects such as SETI@Home).

Due to the way the Internet is engineered, distributing the Internet mapping effort is very important, and the only efficient way to measure the Internet structure is by asking you to participate. What we ask is not so much your CPU or bandwidth (which we hardly consume), but rather, your location. The more places we'll have presence in, the more accurate our maps will be. Understanding the structure and function of the Internet is an important research task, that will allow to make the Internet a better place for all of us.

I decided to join this project and create a team for two reasons:

1) It barely uses any CPU - I'm running it right now and it uses 1% of the CPU for about 1 second every couple of minutes. Therefore, it does not conflict with F@H.

2) It is a cool and useful DC project that can run alongside F@H

It DOES use up some memory. Right now the java runtime is using 45mb of ram. If you don't have a ton of RAM and would rather use the memory for large WUs in F@H, then this is probably not the project for you.

However, I'd like to get a Team Short-Media going. Nothing like a little competition, especially with our eternal enemy, ARSTECHNICA :rarr:;)

If you decide to join, the team name is Team Short-Media exactly as you see it - caps and dash and spaces.

What's important is location, NOT cpu power or bandwidth. You can run this on really crappy computers. The idea is to map the internet.

Comments

• KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian
    edited May 2005
    I'm in!
  • QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    edited May 2005
    In.... :thumbsup:
  • TroganTrogan London, UK
    edited May 2005
    Is 512MB of Ram enough to run both F@H and Dimes?
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited May 2005
    I'm doing both with 512.
    edited May 2005
    I'm set-up :thumbsup:

One thing, whats the agents name? I put Team Short-Media, correct?
    edited May 2005
    The agent's name is the name of your computer. You can name computers uniquely so that you can keep track of individual machines that are working under your name.

So for example, my agent names are primesuspect_office and primesuspect_home.
    edited May 2005
    Thanks! I just changed the agents name
  • CycloniteCyclonite Tampa, Florida Icrontian
    edited May 2005
    I'm in as soon as I return home this evening.
  • KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian
    edited May 2005
    Strange. It runs for about a minute, then shuts down. I've got the latest release of Java installed.
  • shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
    edited May 2005
    I signed up. One of the really cool features is you can type in the address of a server you want to tracerout and it'll show up on the gui.
    edited May 2005
    We're ranked 37 out of 332 - not bad for an upstart new team :p

:clap:

Let's get some more recruitment!

I noticed one thing - if you have multiple computers at a single location, it doesn't help. It makes sense, considering what the client does... Therefore, if you have many computers behind one IP (as 99% of us do), you should only bother installing it on one computer :)

//edit: Now I'm not so sure about that. I could be wrong... On 3 of my home computers, the map doesn't show anything except my router, but on the stats page, it says that they are turning in Measurement Units :-/

confused...
    edited May 2005
    Pos. 37 already? Thats fantastic!

:thumbsup:
    edited May 2005
    I'm behind a router, and this is what mine looks like...

Having multiple computers at a location should help - it'll let you tracert more locations faster from that location.
  • BuddyJBuddyJ Dept. of Propaganda OKC Icrontian
    edited May 2005
    If this was poker, you'd say I'm all in.
    edited May 2005
    shwaip wrote:
    I'm behind a router, and this is what mine looks like...

right, mine does too - one of mine. The other three all just show the computer itself and the router... If I shut them all down and run one at a time, they all give a big network map - but when all four are running, I just get one of them showing the big map.

Weird.
    edited May 2005
    I'm kind of curious how organized this project is... is everyone just tracert/pinging random ips, or is there a central server coordinating things?
    edited May 2005
    Prime - you could always ask at their forums:

http://www.netdimes.org/phpBB2/index.php
    edited May 2005
    Okay. All I see are colored dots. And when I hover over them it says something neat like China and Finland. Is that all there is to this- colored dots? I mean, does it do anything else? Is there some magical dot sequence they're looking for? Do the distance between the dots represent ping? Just what is it doing besides "mapping" :scratch:
  • MedlockMedlock Miramar, Florida Member
    edited May 2005
    I'm in. :thumbsup:
    edited May 2005
    Added another node today :)
    edited May 2005
    Well, it seems to be working on my home PC. Gonna give it another run at the office and find out what went wrong. I updated Java, so maybe that will help.
  • witenoizwitenoiz 19,356 miles East of Kansas City, MO Member
    edited May 2005
    Added another node today :)
    This is kind of neat - interesting to explore the display options - I think I will see what is left of my farm and put them all on this - and I am taking a box with me to Iowa in a few days - I wonder how that will work starting on my network and then going to the WiFi at the luxurious Holiday Inn in Meredith Wilson's 'River City' of Music Man fame. I might even go to Ransoms and play a game of pool ;D and that starts with p and rhymes with t and that means we got trouble :D dang :cool: sorry I get carried away - Jack
  • CammanCamman NEW! England Icrontian
    edited May 2005
    I signed up and left it running....

but I'm wondering, won't your ISP wonder whats up with the sudden huge burst of ICMP traffic? I notice it looks like its sending out a ping every 3-4 seconds, that in additional to resolving the names and tracerts or whatever else it does.. just seemed to me like it would look kind of odd
  • botheredbothered Manchester UK
    edited June 2005
    I had a quick look at the DIMES page but I don't get it. It may give you a map of useage but I don't understand why anybody would want one. :confused: Sorry but I just don't see the point.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited June 2005
    One of the things about the internet's architecture is that it's actually too big to track.

Just like TV, the internet needs demographics -- where to place new broadband? What region is behind the curve? What country has the most users? Does some location need a new backbone?

The topography of the internet would lead towards streamlining the internet, and establishing a better QoS to people in the middle of nowhere.
  • botheredbothered Manchester UK
    edited June 2005
    Thanks but, I can see how it would help service providers or those that install the infrastructure but surely they have the information already? I mean who wants this info? is DIMES a private company doing some kind of research? :confused::confused:
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited June 2005
    Actually, no.. To date there is no comprehensive, or complete topographical data regarding the internet. It's a bit like the human genome; it's so complex and vast that it's taking forever to decode. Unlike the human genome, it's expanding every day, and making the job of detailing the entire scope of the internet a job that's increasingly difficult with every passing day.

The project is so cumbersome and vast that consortiums like DIMES, comprised of 20+ universities and public research institutes, have been trying for years to complete the task. This is the first time a distributed approach has ever been attempted.
  • edited June 2005
    do you have to be connected to the internet all the time?
  • LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian
    edited June 2005
    bikerboy wrote:
    do you have to be connected to the internet all the time?
    I would suspect no, but you'll only be getting points while connected. Your bit of topography would just be blinking in and out of existence. :p

I'll see about adding this to the lab with F@H. :)
    edited June 2005
    Were ranked 29th!! And guess who is two steps above us? cough*powercows*cough Anyone feel like passing them?

edit// moved up to 28th. Tell them cows to moooo-ve over. :thumbsup: