DIMES project - Team Short-Media?

Comments

• LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited June 2005
    Using Sun's. I uninstalled MS Java from both of my home machines.
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited June 2005
    Did it not work with MS's Java?
  • CycloniteCyclonite Tampa, Florida Icrontian
    edited June 2005
    I use Sun's. It was probably written to work with Sun's, so you'll probably have to download it. You won't have an icon in your tray while DIMES is running. Well, you'll have the DIMES icon, but not a Java icon.
  • BuddyJBuddyJ Dept. of Propaganda OKC Icrontian
    edited June 2005
    Hey, we're ranked in the top 10 now. [H]ard is our next target. :D
  • PirateNinjaPirateNinja Icrontian
    edited June 2005
    ... our eternal enemy, ARSTECHNICA...

thats pretty much all i read and then i installed it.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited June 2005
    Can MS Java and Sun Java coexist peacefully? I run Sun's exclusively. A couple years back there were security warnings about MS Java. At that time I uninstalled MS' and installe Sun's. Don't want to be off topic here - just want those with Java problems to be in order so that our Team Short-Media's new foray will be healthier.
  • PirateNinjaPirateNinja Icrontian
    edited June 2005
    virtual machine and java can coexist peacefully, but each application will only use whichever one you have set to use.
  • dragonV8dragonV8 not here much New
    edited June 2005
    Some interesting stats pages around.
  • edcentricedcentric near Milwaukee, Wisconsin Icrontian
    edited June 2005
    I like the '3.99 days to pass [H]'

And I like the pictures too.
  • QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    edited June 2005
    Sweet....

For those that want a nice weblink to the stats he listed... HERE
  • TBonZTBonZ Ottawa, ON Icrontian
    edited June 2005
    I need to be kicked. I was in a hurry lastnight before bed and I named SM23, SM24. Damn, I'll fix that up when I get home. :rolleyes:
  • DanGDanG I AM CANADIAN Icrontian
    edited June 2005
    Giving it a go on my work system.
  • GargGarg Purveyor of Lincoln Nightmares Icrontian
    edited June 2005
    Wish they had a Linux or (gasp!) BeOS client. I can't get Windows to install on an old P2 Duallie rig I have, and since it's too slow to fold, it ought to do something useful. My original plan was to have that rig run Climateprediction.net, but its work units are even bigger than F@H's.
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited June 2005
    Got it on 3 machines now.

I had MS VM on 2 computer and installed Sun's Java right over it and nothing bad happened yet.
  • witenoizwitenoiz 19,356 miles East of Kansas City, MO Member
    edited June 2005
    dragonV8 wrote:
    Some interesting stats pages around.
    That's some of my old friends work. His name is Bok and he is with Free-DC - we used to be on a Seti team together. A real stats-aholic. Way to go Phil! :cool: Jack
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited June 2005
    Well, as it stands we look to be the 4th highest producing team overall. If nothing changes (we know that's not possible with distributed computing, but it's fun to entertain some ideas!), we will be 4th place under Ars, Free-DC, and the Knights Who Say Ni.

Nice work for a brand new team! Let's gun for #1, there's no reason not to right now! :D
  • shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
    edited June 2005
    I think it happened yesterday, but I'm not sure:

A few of our members found the first AS nodes and links on the team!

Gogo:
    Prime
    Dancer
    Trogan_1000
    ME!
  • dragonV8dragonV8 not here much New
    edited June 2005
    witenoiz wrote:
    That's some of my old friends work. His name is Bok and he is with Free-DC - we used to be on a Seti team together. A real stats-aholic. Way to go Phil! :cool: Jack

Jack, believe it when we say we miss his folding@home stats. As soon as i realised the association, i told Sally.

"Has he got the folding stats up and running again" is all she could think off. :)

He sure does a brilliant job of it. :thumbsup:
  • QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    edited June 2005
    I will have to pull two of my PC's. Our Facility tracks Net traffic and charts the top 20 traffic IPaddress... my two work PC's both honor the list. I had a nice email asking me why two of my PC's were on the list with over 2600 connections per day... Don't want to have to explain this project or any other project to the entire IT division (F@H). Oh well... I have more PC's at home to put on DIMES.
    edited June 2005
    shwaip wrote:
    I think it happened yesterday, but I'm not sure:

A few of our members found the first AS nodes and links on the team!

Gogo:
    Prime
    Dancer
    Trogan_1000
    ME!

What are these things exactaly? New places never pinged by the project or what?
    edited June 2005
    from the dimes site:
    AS (acronym for "Autonomous System" which represent ISPs and other large networks which form the Internet)

also from the dimes site.
    http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&safe=active&oi=defmore&q=define:Autonomous+System+(AS)
    edited June 2005
    shwaip wrote:
    I read all that and I feel seriously left out in the cold! :o "Definitions of Autonomous System (AS) on the Web:" I wish I had one of these Autonomous Systems. Actually I didn't understand any of that page or this project :cool: but it is fun, and I agree with Mr General - we should aim high and go for #1 ;D
    I want to know more about redundant connections and somebody explain these genuine placebo Rolex watches to me. dimes.gif Jack
    ( I might change my name to Dood )
  • ZanthianZanthian Mitey Worrier Icrontian
    edited June 2005
    I just signed up my work computer to try this thing out. :cool:
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited June 2005
    That's funny - your sloganizer reads "Halleluja, it's a Zanthian" right now. ;D

I'd sign up my work PC, but I'm in the same boat as Q here.

Can we guarantee that it doesn't interfere with folding, even by 1%? If so, then I'll sign up my home PC.
    edited June 2005
    witenoiz wrote:
    I read all that and I feel seriously left out in the cold! :o "Definitions of Autonomous System (AS) on the Web:" I wish I had one of these Autonomous Systems. Actually I didn't understand any of that page or this project :cool: but it is fun, and I agree with Mr General - we should aim high and go for #1 ;D
    I want to know more about redundant connections and somebody explain these genuine placebo Rolex watches to me. dimes.gif Jack
    ( I might change my name to Dood )

To be honest...I don't really know what they are - I read the links and I wasn't really clear on them.
    edited June 2005
    they're dots.
    edited June 2005
    they're dots.
    Now I get it - we are looking for dem dots

dood Jack
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited June 2005
    I sense that the DOTS will become a DIMES award..... :eek3:
  • XZGohanXZGohan Scottsdale, Arizona Member