DIMES project - Team Short-Media?

Comments

• dragonV8dragonV8 not here much New
    edited June 2005
    Way to go Team.........Moved up a spot..........now #9 and climbing. :D
  • GargGarg Purveyor of Lincoln Nightmares Icrontian
    edited June 2005
    dragonV8 wrote:

Good. I'm not sure their internal TAU version would work for our purposes, but at least it means a public version will probably be along soon.
  • shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
    edited June 2005
    A few more AS nodes/links were found by our team:
    Prime found 1 more
    QCH found 7 !
    BuddyJ found 15 !!!! :rarr: (it must be his expert knowledge of ASes)
    Cyclonite found one
  • BuddyJBuddyJ
    gets lots of AS
    Dept. of Propaganda OKC Icrontian
    edited June 2005
    gets lots of AS
  • QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    edited June 2005
    I found a whole bunch of AS on my couch. Not sure why you guys aren't finding any. :D
    edited June 2005
    Back in the dorms, I got AS on Buddy J's couch. It made him mad :D
  • ZanthianZanthian Mitey Worrier Icrontian
    edited June 2005
    So really they should have named this Project ASS instead of DIMES.
    The whole point is to find AS not DIMES.
    I mean it would be cool if distributed computing could find millions of free DIMES and then split the pot between the users, but we are just finding ASes.
    Once we they have found all of the ASes in the world what then?
    We will have an AS Map and then project ManTouch can begin... muwahahahaha... cough. cough. :rarr::rarr:

Project ManTouch:
    Step One: Man Touch!
    Step Two:
    Step Three: World Domination!
  • BuddyJBuddyJ Dept. of Propaganda OKC Icrontian
    edited June 2005
    Gargoyle wrote:
    Back in the dorms, I got AS on Buddy J's couch. It made him mad :D

But look who'se getting AS now! It's me. I don't even see you on the stats page for this project. Until then, you can count the dorms as the only AS you'll ever get.

Man, I hit 15 yesterday. I'm tired. :ninja:
    edited June 2005
    Zanthian wrote:
    Project ManTouch:
    Step One: Man Touch!
    Step Two:
    Step Three: World Domination!

3 million points for the underpants gnomes reference ;D
    edited June 2005
    We're in 7th!!!!!

:smokin:.... ok,that doesn't look right....
    DIMES.gif

And we're the TOP PRODUCING TEAM TODAY!!!

STATS
  • DanGDanG I AM CANADIAN Icrontian
    edited June 2005
    I just installed it on 3 more systems, so that should help.
  • MediaMedia Wisconsin (CA transplant)
    edited June 2005
    You're Welcome... :D

I just brought my 460,000 points over from ARS Technica's Team Strawberry Jello. This bumped Team Short-Media up two spots in the team standings and placed me at the team's number one spot. It also made the the team today's number one producer (if only temporarily).

I thought that my ID would 'fit' better over here ;)

- Media

PS. I have 9 systems (so far) doing Dimes, I could add another 10 if they only had a Mac OS X client. :(
    edited June 2005
    Welcome! Are you short as well? :);)

Are you doing any other distributed computing projects? Short-Media has a folding team (ranked 12th) that would love to have new members :)
  • DonutDonut Maine New
    edited June 2005
    Welcome Media, What brings you to Short-Media? Just curious actually.

I just checked the stats and lo and behold Media is 1st? :scratch: Confused me to say the least. ;D I wouldn't have thought you could bring your points with you tho.

Welcome and enjoy your stay. :thumbsup:

PS. I bet those Macs could Fold. :fold:;)
  • DonutDonut Maine New
    edited June 2005
    See what happens when you type slow! ;D

Shwaip snuck in. :D
    edited June 2005
    That can be expected...donuts don't have hands to type with :P
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited June 2005
    Welcome aboard, media. You definitely have the right name for the site.

Yay! I love ars, i'm a member over there, but they are my ARCH ENEMY in DC projects :D Good naturedly, of course.
    edited June 2005
    Thanks for the welcomes!

I did not know about your site until I saw your team on Dimes. I am a regular reader of the Ars Technica site, and joined the Dimes project when they had an article about it. Otherwise I have no particular involvement with the Ars crews.

I have looked around your site a small bit and liked what I saw, so decided to bring my points over to your team, partially because of the name, partially because of the work and services you all do.

My area of specialty and background is mixing media and technology. I have been doing it since the late 70's (that dates me). So, interactive 'media' is my area of interest and business.

Media

PS. no. I am not short, but I can stoop :D
    My Macs and PCs will learn to fold soon.
  • KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian
    edited June 2005
    I've decided to add DIMES to every machine in our office. Since it's not bandwidth or processor intensive, it shouldn't cause any problems. Besides, any machine in our office that is using Sun Java over MS VM is better off anyway.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited June 2005
    Welcome, Media!
    My Macs and PCs will learn to fold soon.
    I welcome you to the Folding@Home team, with faith that your machines will soon be modeling the folding of proteins. It's addictive, and we've great team spirit. We even team-owned computers that members host to increase production. That's the kind of site where you've just become a member.
  • dragonV8dragonV8 not here much New
    edited June 2005
    Nice to meet you Media. Great to have you on the team. :thumbsup:
    edited June 2005
    Congrats to dragonV8 for clearing 200,000!

Congrats to Donut for achieving 100,000!

Congrats to shwaip for reaching 50,000!

And Congrats to QCH2002 for reaching 50,000!

Go Team Short-Media!
    edited June 2005
    and BuddyJ is still tearing up those ASes. Got 20 more yesterday!
    Leo found his first!
    edited June 2005
    We are now over 2,000,000!!!!

Congrats Team Short-Media!! :thumbsup:
    edited June 2005
    Great job guys... We're rocking and rolling... in both Folding and DIMES!!!!

Keep up the good work. :thumbsup:

BTW... Welcome Media. This is the best bunch of guys & gals on the net. :cool:
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited June 2005
    Bah, 3 of my PCs were down since Friday I think or sometime during the weekend. I dont know wtf happened to my laptop but my roommate turned off my other 2 PCs.
  • witenoizwitenoiz 19,356 miles East of Kansas City, MO Member
    edited June 2005
    mmonnin wrote:
    Bah, 3 of my PCs were down since Friday I think or sometime during the weekend. I dont know wtf happened to my laptop but my roommate turned off my other 2 PCs.
    Nothing but thunder and lightning and some tornado warnings here - I have been up and down steps rebooting computers and blades for 4 days. I have 3 down now and one of them will take some major work tomorrow. I have 4 computers that refuse to do dimes anymore. I may reformat and start over as Folding units complete. Keep up the good work everyone - Jack
    edited June 2005
    The Dimes client does have a small memory leak, that after time will cause it to quit, but... It may not quit the Java engine that is behind it. If when you go to relaunch the Dimes client, it says that there is a copy running already, yet you don't see a Dimes cactus icon in the tray, then this is the case.

The Dimes developers are aware and are currently working on a fix. If you re-boot and it still won't launch, then I do not know what the problem is. Currently, successful long-term use of the dimes client requires that it be quit and relaunched every third or fourth day. Quitting the client will not lose any work in progress, whe you relaunch it, it sends the saved data to the servers.

It is still new and getting better at each version release, but at this point it is a functioning work in progress. This is the only reason why I suggested not requiring the SMx systems to run Dimes yet (as discussed in the 'Poll thread').

Media
  • KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian
    edited June 2005
    I rebooted, DIMES ran for about a minute, then quit. Strange, because it ran fine for days without issue. :mad:
    edited June 2005
    Hmm, Don't know. I have 9 systems (XP, NT, & XP Pro) all running Dimes without a problem, now that I quit and relaunch them twice a week. Post a message in the Dimes forum at netdimes.org, or review their threads, there may be an answer to what you are seeing.

Media