New Rig Wish List:

Comments

• edited June 2005
    How about one of the new nV 7800s? One of them beats out a 6800U SLI setup by a wide margin.
  • sfleurietsfleuriet Texas New
    edited June 2005
    newegg already has the 7800gtx's $100 cheaper than everywhere else! only a mere $599 will get you the evga card and tshirt!

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814130234

oh also zipzoomfly has it for $599 with a free controller and free 2day shipping. that would probably be the way to go http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=321027-614001&ps=ho2
  • csimoncsimon Acadiana Icrontian
    edited June 2005
    newegg already has the 7800gtx's $100 cheaper than everywhere else! only a mere $599 will get you the evga card and tshirt!

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814130234
    I certainly don't want to spend the amount of money on sli since gpu technolgy outdates itself so rapidly.
    nv 7800 has nice specs and is worth considering by august ...but what is ati coming out with now?

I checked the specs on the dell monitor and I don't see anything about the speed ...all I see is 400:1 contrast ratio. The samsung has 1000:1 and has excellent brightness. I'm not sure what the contrast has to do with anything but I my older 910t at work was 700:1 and I had to bump up the gamma in games to be able to see anything halfway clearly. The newer 910t's that I have bought plus my 920t all have 1000:1 contrast and absolutely no issues whatsoever.
    All of the samsung dvi's I have bought have been 25ms and I don't think that I have experienced ghosting. Maybe if I had a sample of what it is I could say "oh yeah I've seen that" but nothing that remotely would make me think of ghosting has ever appeared on my screens ...even in benchs.

So I guess my question is ...what's the difference between 400:1 and 1000:1 contrast ration?
  • Mt_GoatMt_Goat Head Cheezy Knob Pflugerville (north of Austin) Icrontian
    edited June 2005
    before you make any decisins you need to look at one of these NEC MultiSync LCD1970GX-BK monitors in person. I am still looking for an LCD and am sold on it unless something really jumps in my face. The Optical glass over the LCD's really make a difference and it has real nice specs too.
  • PreacherPreacher Potomac, MD Icrontian
    edited June 2005
    csimon,
    I have that Dell monitor and it is excellent. It is great for daily use as well as WoW, Doom 3, and every other game I've thrown at it. I especially like the 4 USB ports and the PiP capability too.
  • edited June 2005
    csimon wrote:
    I certainly don't want to spend the amount of money on sli since gpu technolgy outdates itself so rapidly.

Then just buy one card, and buy another once you need the extra power and it's cheaper.
    edited June 2005
  • TheBaronTheBaron Austin, TX
    edited June 2005
    that stuff is pretty tight, though I thought I'd heard about compatibility issues with it and the DFI board...

also, instead of that monitor, have you looked into
    this guy? if you keep an eye on sales via techbargains you'll find that it's on sale literally twice a week for sub $500, better latencies as well
    edited July 2005
    TheBaron wrote:
    that stuff is pretty tight, though I thought I'd heard about compatibility issues with it and the DFI board...

also, instead of that monitor, have you looked into
    this guy? if you keep an eye on sales via techbargains you'll find that it's on sale literally twice a week for sub $500, better latencies as well

Thanks I've included this monitor to the list.
    edited July 2005
    this is the graphics card I was talking about getting.
    http://www.madshrimps.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=16166
    edited July 2005
    I just noticed something ...the OEM 3200+ venice and the retail 3200+ venice have different voltages. :wtf:?

oem = 1.5v = http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16819103534

retail = 1.35/1.4 = http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16819103535

anyone know why?
    edited July 2005
    whoa.. that is weird. if it means anything, i'll need to know also
    edited July 2005
    csimon wrote:
    I just noticed something ...the OEM 3200+ venice and the retail 3200+ venice have different voltages. :wtf:?

oem = 1.5v = http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16819103534

retail = 1.35/1.4 = http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16819103535

anyone know why?
    It's just an input error in Newegg's info. I have noticed several items where they have the wrong specs. All you have to do in many cases is to click on the 'mfgrs link' and see what they say it is supposed to be.

BTW
    It looks like TCCD is back for the time being as Corsair, OCZ, G.Skill and PQI have brought back or even introduced new dimms with the awesome Samsung TCCD modules. :D
    edited July 2005
    mtgoat wrote:
    BTW
    It looks like TCCD is back for the time being as Corsair, OCZ, G.Skill and PQI have brought back or even introduced new dimms with the awesome Samsung TCCD modules. :D

ah good news!
    house will be sold july 28 @ 11am!
  • NLichtmanNLichtman Spring Valley, CA
    edited July 2005
    You know that you want a bowling bag for that. ;D
    edited July 2005
    house sale is this coming thursday!
    edited July 2005
    edited July 2005
    mtgoat wrote:
    Man I just read about the orleans core M2 next year ...I'm willing to bet we'll see a boost in ddr2 performance for a change. That's mainly why I'm sticking with the venice core for now since I may need to build something new again next year ...lol :thumbsup:

http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=2476
    edited July 2005
    wow you must have tons of money to spend ;D
    edited July 2005
    wow you must have tons of money to spend ;D
    I might once I sell off this system I'm building here!

strange but the lianli v1000b mysteriously disappeared from newegg overnight. Maybe they sold out and the newer stock will be the plus models. I hope so ...at the same price. :thumbsup:
    edited July 2005
    mtgoat wrote:
    how does this ram perform ...got links?
    edited July 2005
    csimon wrote:
    strange but the lianli v1000b mysteriously disappeared from newegg overnight. Maybe they sold out and the newer stock will be the plus models. I hope so ...at the same price. :thumbsup:
    when that happens it means its currently out of stock, and they dont have an ETA from the manufacturer. It's NOT discontinued or anything, but no telling how long it'll be before it's back in stock.
    edited August 2005
    I changed my mind on the samsung monitor ...instead of the 21.3 I'll settle for the 16ms 20" if I go samsung. I'm more likely to go that route though.
    edited August 2005
    I'm serioulsy considering building my own case of wood. My maple project came out ok but I had to abandon it to fit into my new desk ...which poses the whole new problem of "TEH HOT BOX". :rarr:
    edited August 2005
    haha do it. build a wooden case
  • jradminjradmin North Kackalaki
    edited August 2005
    Why stick with AGP? Its going bye bye and probably wont be making a come back.
    edited August 2005
    jradmin wrote:
    Why stick with AGP? Its going bye bye and probably wont be making a come back.
    hunh?
    edited August 2005
    i guess he thinks pcie will take over the world and suddenly agp will be obsolete :scratch: i dont see that happening any time soon, but okay
    edited August 2005
    right ...and I think that great motherboards supporting agp8x will die out before the supporting video cards actually do.
    edited August 2005
    ok the list is now heavily updated. I've scratched the monitors, hd and dvd since I'll just reuse what I have now. I've also upgraded video cards to 7800gt or 850xt. I've also chosed to start on air and perhaps move to fluid later on. I'm not in a hurry to buther a new case right away ...if that's really necessary.

Thanks for you help guys ...this may happen in the next few weeks if I am lucky!
    csimon