New Rig Wish List:

Comments

• edited August 2005
    Definitely go with the 7800 GTX, it's leaps and bounds ahead of the x850xt.
  • csimoncsimon Acadiana Icrontian
    edited August 2005
    djstubbs wrote:
    Definitely go with the 7800 GTX, it's leaps and bounds ahead of the x850xt.
    I've been leaning towards nvidia a lot lately. It's a battle. It's always been a battle. It's been a battle since the geforce began.
    may the geforce be wi ...you know what I mean. ;D
    edited August 2005
    alas ...the v1000b is back at newegg ...and so is the plus model for $5 more!
    The only issue I have with this is that I can get the same case for as little as $179 thru monarchcomputer. Save $31?
  • sfleurietsfleuriet Texas New
    edited August 2005
    yep do it. Monarch is very trusted as well :thumbsup:
  • PreacherPreacher Potomac, MD Icrontian
    edited August 2005
    I've used them several times too and they have been good. I haven't had to RMA anything with them yet though.
  • edited August 2005
    I ordered about $1000 worth of PC parts from Monarch, and am in the midst of an RMA on my RAM, because I want new RAM. :o
    edited August 2005
    you're RMAing it just cuz u want a different one? thats pretty good ;D
  • airbornflghtairbornflght Houston, TX Icrontian
    edited August 2005
    heh heh heh...maybe ill try that with my patriot sticks of ram at new egg and get $40 or so dollars back...ive only had the stuff for 9 months....lol...wonder if itd work

and if it did i coul send my mobo and proc back and spend a lil extra and upgrade to 939 and a 3500 or so. i would really like to get a 3800 X2
  • edited August 2005
    you're RMAing it just cuz u want a different one? thats pretty good ;D

Meh, they won't RMA. gg
    edited August 2005
    ive returned things i didn't want anymore that I bought at Walmart and said they were broken, and its worked.
  • edited August 2005
    ive returned things i didn't want anymore that I bought at Walmart and said they were broken, and its worked.

Monarchcomputer doesn't allow you to RMA memory. :scratch: :bawling:
    edited August 2005
    but this aint wal mart....wal mart is stupid and ran by chimps. newegg is ran by xeons.

xeons > chimps < ME

One time i confused kmart (same thing) so bad on a set of walkie talkies because i bought a set and they went on sale a few days later. asked them to pay me the difference, and then they refunded me the entire amount of money and she got confused what to do and called someone else up there and i also got the difference. so they paid me like $20 to take those 2 way radios off their hands. ;D;D;D
    edited August 2005
    oh that sux they dont take RMA on ram...

haha yeah i know kmart and walmart and stores like that are really stupid, so its easy to take advantage of them :D
    edited August 2005
    I won't be buying any ram from them nor a processor or motherboard for sure ...just maybe like the case and heatsink ...maybe a few other odds and ends who knows.
  • Mt_GoatMt_Goat Head Cheezy Knob Pflugerville (north of Austin) Icrontian
    edited August 2005
    csimon wrote:
    I won't be buying any ram from them nor a processor or motherboard for sure ...just maybe like the case and heatsink ...maybe a few other odds and ends who knows.
    I bought my 3700 from them some time ago as they had them in stock like 3 weeks before the egg did. Have you seen the current pricing on the 3700's lately? Monarch is currently almost $20 less on them than NE.
    edited August 2005
    hmmm ...the 4th qtr is right around the corner and real soon the new ati cards will be out. Possibly we will see some price drops in procs and video soon.
    I don't want to wait for next year when the ddr2 models come out and the prices drop even more (potentially).
    I'm also rething a w/c setup and here's what I have in mind:

pa160 w/ aoc
    storm
    t line fill
    1/2" ID hoserie
    fluidxp+ & MAGnum
    edited August 2005
    once my case comes in I'm thinking that if my pro-120 core fits up front I may go ahead and buy a storm block for this rig. I think I've seen it for about the same price as the xp120.
  • GobblesGobbles Ventura California
    edited August 2005
    There may be a slight issue with the case. You have to watch the size of the power supply. Larger power supplies dont fit so well into those cases. We built a simular one and the thermal take 680w psu we used barely fit. We had to remove the external fan grill to get the mounting plate to fit on the psu.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited August 2005
    I may go ahead and buy a storm block for this rig
    Storm block? :scratch: Well, I mean, how difficult can it be to throw a waterproof tarp over the computer? :wtf:
    edited August 2005
    Leonardo wrote:
    Storm block? :scratch: Well, I mean, how difficult can it be to throw a waterproof tarp over the computer? :wtf:
    no worries about water cause I'm using fluidxp+ ...I've dripped it all over the place when draining and refilling with no problems at all. :thumbsup:

thanks for the headsup gobbles!
    edited September 2005
    Anyone have any idea how the X2 works? Would it be simiar to dual procs at half frequency?
    I mean I'm thinking that if I ran this proc at lets say 2.6g I'd essentially have 2 procs at 1.3g correct? Or does it share the load as it needs it? I just don't want to bother with something like hyperthreading ...I want to utilize the full 2.6g whenever I need it.

anyone?
    edited September 2005
    I've talked myself out of AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+ Manchester 1GHz FSB 2 x 512KB L2 Cache Socket 939 Dual Core Processor - Retail $374 (Free Shipping) for now.
    I can't see spending twice the money and not getting twice the performance. Sure I could multitask better but I think for now I'll stick with the solocore.
  • jradminjradmin North Kackalaki
    edited September 2005
    Thats probably the best decision. If your not running multiple heavy applications then theres absolutely no reason why you need a dual core. Your not going to get any performance gain over a single proc chip for something like gaming.
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited September 2005
    Chris: If you got a 2.6 GHz Dual Core AMD X2 you would be getting 2 CPUs at 2.6GHz on ONE chip. Its not Intel HyperCrap where they are not running at full speed. A dual core X2 performs BETTER than a Dual CPU system at the same GHz. Ive heard from a few people in my class thats multitasking is MUCH better than a single core A64.
    edited September 2005
    From the look of this rig, its all about gaming. If he were using this for something like running a 3d rendering engine and photoshop or CAD at the same time...then yeah I would agree with the dualies.

This is more of an entertainment rig by the looks of things, and why put the money in a dual when your not going to use its full potential? I'll be the first to agree that multi-tasking kicks serious ass, but if your not going to multi task often then why waste the money? Duals show no sugnificant increase in game performance in every benchmark I've seen on the web and in mags. Unless maybe your playing 2 games at once on the same PC...but who's that sick really?

:mullet::mullet::mullet:
    edited September 2005
    csimon wrote:
    I've talked myself out of AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+ Manchester 1GHz FSB 2 x 512KB L2 Cache Socket 939 Dual Core Processor - Retail $374 (Free Shipping) for now.
    I can't see spending twice the money and not getting twice the performance. Sure I could multitask better but I think for now I'll stick with the solocore.

Grab yourself an Athalon 64 4000+ San Diego and OC it to 2.7ghz. I've been running mine at that now for a tad over a month and my full load temps dont get over 45C on air.
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited September 2005
    I was just explaining that each core would be running at 2.6GHz. For a gaming machine a single core would be better as long as the clock speed is higher.
    edited September 2005
    i think if i got a new processor (yeah right, my bank account is non existent thanks to petrol) I would get a dual core just cause of the multi threading capabilities later on. even if its slower right now, think about when progs actually start to be multi threaded instead of single threaded. performance increase will be semi huge. as well as youd have 64 bits, thats almost like haveing dual opertons.
    edited September 2005
    jradmin wrote:
    If he were using this for something like running a 3d rendering engine and photoshop or CAD at the same time...then yeah I would agree with the dualies.
    This is exactly what I'm getting it for. I use AutoCAD, Autodesk Map, Land Desktop, 3dStudio, Photoshop ...etc. I'd also like to game and watch dvd's ...and my current system can't cut the mustard with Doom3 or Quake4 for that matter. I'm also looking ahead to Vista.
    jradmin wrote:
    Grab yourself an Athalon 64 4000+ San Diego and OC it to 2.7ghz. I've been running mine at that now for a tad over a month and my full load temps dont get over 45C on air.
    Why? The Athlon A64 3200+ Venice will OC to the same 2.7ghz and so will the X2 3800+ Manchester ...to me that's where the real value is right now. I just don't see how I would benefit from the extra cache ...which the Manchester has and can utilize as it is shared.
    mmonnin wrote:
    I was just explaining that each core would be running at 2.6GHz. For a gaming machine a single core would be better as long as the clock speed is higher.
    Marc are you sure that each core will be doing 2.6 rather than each doing 1.3 to equal 2.6 total? If that's the case heck yeah I'm in.
  • edited September 2005
    Chris, Marc is definitely right about the core frequencies on the X2 procs. If you have it clocked to 2.6-2.7 GHz, both cores will be running that speed. With an X2, you can render and game at the same time, just like a true dually. I'm waiting to get some money back from the state and when it comes in I'll be buying me a dual core proc for my EPoX socket 939 board and make it my main system. A true dual proc (or dual core) system is just so smoooooooth. :D

BTW, I've been reading a thread over at the overclockers.com forums talking about the new socket 939 Opterons (1xx series) that will be coming out shortly and will be able to use regular unbufferred ram in a regular socket 939 board. They are supposed to be coming out with a dual core socket 939 Opty too, from what I've read in that thread and it will have 1 MB L2 cache per core and supposedly the price for it is going to be in the $400 range, which isn't much higher than the X2 3800 with half the L2 cache.