New Rig Wish List:

csimoncsimon Acadiana Icrontian
edited January 2006 in Hardware
As the title states ...Once all of the neccesities are out of the way there may be a slight bit left over for a new rig.

So this is what I'd like to get.

New Rig Wish List:

AMD Opteron 175 Dual-Core 2.2GHz 1MB (per core) 64/32-Bit (939) (OEM) $461.63 ($5.90 Shipping) ordered/received

Memory - XP4000 - DDR Xtreme Performance $330.00 (Free Shipping) ordered/received

Asus A8R-MVP Socket 939 ATI XPress 200 CrossFire $139.00 ($10.00 Shipping) ordered/received

eVGA Geforce 7800GT 256-P2-N516 Video Card - Retail $289.00 (Free Shipping) ordered/received

Western Digital Raptor WD740GD 74GB 10,000 RPM 8MB Cache Serial ATA150 Hard Drive - OEM $164.00 ($3.49 Shipping)ordered/received

New Cooling Wish List:

Swiftech Apogee Extreme performance CPU water block $39.95 (Free Shipping) ordered/received

Thermochill PA160 $89.95 ($8.09 Shipping) ordered/received

Danger Den Fillport (x2) $23.90 (Free Shipping) ordered/received

Fluid XP+ Non-Conductive Cooling Fluid $34.95 ($11.04 Shipping) ordered/received

Nylon Hose Clamp (10- pack) $5.99 (Free Shipping) ordered/received

Y-Fitting $1.25 (Free Shipping) ordered/received

T-Fitting $.99 (Free Shipping) ordered/received

New Case/PSU List:

Lian Li V PC-V2000B PLUS Black Computer Case - Retail $265.00 ($10.25 Shipping) ordered/received

Lian Li EX-34B Expansion Hard Drive Kit $34.95 ($8.69 Shipping) ordered/received

Lian Li Black Mesh Bay Cover 5.25" (x6) $59.70 ($8.85 Shipping) ordered/received

TTGI/SuperFlower TT-550K14 Modular / X-Connect Power Supply, 550W, 14cm Fan, Low Noise $78.99 ($8.67 Shipping) ordered/received

Any comments, suggestions, or advice on anything?

Mostly I'd like to be able to do cadd with some gaming and watch some dvd's now and then.

Purchase will be around December.

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited June 2005
    The XT is slower than a GT.
    That Samsung monitor is better-replaced by one of those $500 dells. They even have a 16ms response.
    I think the OCZ VX series is supposed to be better than the Mushkin.

For the DVD burner, with no contest, the NEC ND-3520A.
  • entropyentropy Yah-Der-Hey (Wisconsin)
    edited June 2005
    Thrax wrote:
    Can't be by far. My brother got an x850xt (which is just higher clocks, no extra pipelines, right?), and he easily ties his friend with a 6800GT in many benchmarking programs. Keep in mind my brother has a 2.8c with 1 stick of 512, while his friend has an overclocked 3500+ with two sticks of 512.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited June 2005
    we signed a contract the day the thing hit the market and we should be getting exactly what we were asking for it.
    Wonderful. You are either in a hot sellers' market or you asked too little! ;D
  • sfleurietsfleuriet Texas New
    edited June 2005
    yeah i hope you didnt get ripped off! wow thats a hellload of money.
  • Mt_GoatMt_Goat Head Cheezy Knob Pflugerville (north of Austin) Icrontian
    edited June 2005
    Chris,
    EDIT:
    You should be able to run @ 2.7 on moderately quiet air! :D
  • csimoncsimon Acadiana Icrontian
    edited June 2005
    thanks for spotting that mtgoat I must have typed over it. I chose an ocz but I'm open ...I see this one on sale today for a great price ...just dunno if it suits my needs or not.

Antec NeoPower ATX 480W Power Supply 100 - 240V TUV, UL, CUL, CE, CB, FCC - Retail $80.00 ($6.99 Shipping) (One Day Sale so will need updating)
    edited June 2005
    Thrax wrote:
    That Samsung monitor is better-replaced by one of those $500 dells. They even have a 16ms response.
    I think the OCZ VX series is supposed to be better than the Mushkin.

For the DVD burner, with no contest, the NEC ND-3520A.

With the GT what would I use for a tv tuner?
    The samsungs are fantastic but if the dells are better I need to look into them. I think we are getting some at work this week but not sure which department or which model.
    I took your advice on my last burner so ND-3520A it is! :thumbsup:
    edited June 2005
    Leonardo wrote:
    Wonderful. You are either in a hot sellers' market or you asked too little! ;D
    real hot sellers market! :thumbsup:
    We got a bit more than I would have asked selling outright ...the realtors here are awesome they payed for themselves really!
    edited June 2005
    mtgoat wrote:
    Chris,
    EDIT:
    You should be able to run @ 2.7 on moderately quiet air! :D

why that ram over the one I chose?
    yeah the monitor is impressive but I'm looking at a possible pair ...not right away but maybe soon. ;D I'll have to look closer at those dells for sure! :thumbsup:
    edited June 2005
    don't know much about it but judging by the reviews and ratings on newegg, the Antec NeoPower ATX 480W Power Supply looks great.
    edited June 2005
    csimon wrote:
    why that ram over the one I chose?
    yeah the monitor is impressive but I'm looking at a possible pair ...not right away but maybe soon. ;D I'll have to look closer at those dells for sure! :thumbsup:
    The G.Skill I mentioned is TCCD and the OCZ is TCC5. Both I would take over BH-5. That Red Line is impressive but it runs super hot @ the required voltages. And the VX isn't being what it was originally cracked up to be. TCCD is still tops in these systems (get it while you can). If you could find 2 like the ones Thrax mentioned (2005FPW) (same as what Eqito just sold) I would get those but Dell only has them in their refurb section right now and no new ones. BTW Thrax, those are 12ns respnse. :cool:
    edited June 2005
    does dell make their own lcds now? the 1900fps I had at work is a samsung 910t.
    To optimize this monitor's performance, your system must be able to support WUXGA resolution (1920x1200).

They do that? ;D
    edited June 2005
    csimon wrote:
    does dell make their own lcds now? the 1900fps I had at work is a samsung 910t.

They do that? ;D
    They still get others to make them and rebrand to Dell. But you won't find anything else with those specs!
  • airbornflghtairbornflght Houston, TX Icrontian
    edited June 2005
    i would get a hapauge card for watching and recording tv. I have the WinTv 250 and its awesome. make sure the card you get has hardware encoding and decoding, keeps the load off the processor
  • edited June 2005
    I remember reading about those Dell monitors at Anandtech and the monitor is using a L. G. Phillips lcd panel, the same as that high end Apple display.

Here's a link to the article.
  • TexTex Dallas/Ft. Worth
    edited June 2005
    mtgoat wrote:
    Chris,
    • First, the vid card you listed is AGP and you will need PCI-X.

Don't think so. I have the MB he wants and it has no pci-x slots. You meant pci-e probably.

Tex
    edited June 2005
    is x something different? i thought he just meant e
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited June 2005
    They are totally different. PCI-X is an eXtended version of PCI - 3.3v 33/66mhz slot. It is generally used for high bandwidth PCI devices such as Gig-E NICs, and caching RAID controllers.

PCI-E is a totally different animal. PCI-Express. New form factor, new standard, everything.
  • TheBaronTheBaron Austin, TX
    edited June 2005
    you're a model behind on the dvd burner, this is the new hotness
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16827152047

also, for ram I like this stuff
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820145523

because I'm a corsair fanboy at heart, and I love the TCCD (which this is guaranteed to be)

EDIT: its too bad you won't be able to use the AGP AIW X800XT, this thing is truly a beast
  • GobblesGobbles Ventura California
    edited June 2005
    looks like a killer system. Im sure you are gonna love it.

Id put my plextor 716a up against that nec speed wise any day. But for the price the nec is a steal.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited June 2005
    It's not speed that the Plextor needs to worry about. It's accuracy; the NEC is proven to burn more reliably, and with greater compatability than the Plextor.
    edited June 2005
    Thrax wrote:
    It's not speed that the Plextor needs to worry about. It's accuracy; the NEC is proven to burn more reliably, and with greater compatability than the Plextor.
    I agree. And after a couple hundred burns the only 2 coasters I have made were of my own doing!;)
    edited June 2005
    Tex wrote:
    Don't think so. I have the MB he wants and it has no pci-x slots. You meant pci-e probably.

Tex
    I have the same mobo also and it was just a slip of the finger. I do know the difference!;)

baron
    Let me know when you hit 300+ w/ that Corsair. :D
    edited June 2005
    anyone have any idea if I have clearance for a pro-120 heat core here? It measures about 5.5 x 6.5 roughly ...I can lay it on its side of course.

I've also updated the prices on the list and some of the products due to your advice but I'm still working on it ...
    edited June 2005
    probably the best way to find out would be measuring the actual picture in relation to its specified dimensions. Which Lian Li case is that again?
  • airbornflghtairbornflght Houston, TX Icrontian
    edited June 2005
    PCI-X is mainly used is server mobos and normaly have expensive NIC's or SCSI controlers on them of some sort. They are just higherbandwidth, but totaly different applications
    edited June 2005
    ah ok
    edited June 2005
    probably the best way to find out would be measuring the actual picture in relation to its specified dimensions. Which Lian Li case is that again?
    v1000
    edited June 2005
    actual dimensions are 8.3" x 19.3" x 20.7" (WxHxD). so find how big that picture is in inches, and then you can measure that cubby area and find out. that should be the best mathematical way to do it
    edited June 2005
    I added this monitor to the mix ...I haven't seen the specs yet.

DELL UltraSharp 2001FP 20.1-inch Flat Panel LCD Monitor with Height Adjustable Stand
    $561.71 ($?.?? Shipping)