New Rig Wish List:

Comments

• csimoncsimon Acadiana Icrontian
    edited November 2005
    MackanzOCZ wrote:
    With the Lian-Li, i would stay away from the Asus A8N since it has heatpipes on the chipsets. The board is up-side-down in the Lian and we all know what heatpipes do against the gravity :)

However, if you have good enough caseflow, it shouldn't be a problem. The Asus is a FAR better board in my honest opinion. 6 months ago, i would have laughed if somebody said that, but o have had the 2 boards side-by-side for the past 4 months now and the Asus is just...better. If i would chose another case, it would be the Anec P180. Better cooling sollution.
    So considering I woun't be using dual video cards and I would like the best overclock possible which model would you recommend ...still the deluxe?
  • TheLostSwedeTheLostSwede Trondheim, Norway Icrontian
    edited November 2005
    I would say so, yes. With 2 slots for the videocard, you can choose which for a better cooling sollution. On the DFI's top slot, things can get tight. On the other hand the DFI can provide slightly higher voltages. Asus have 3.2 vdimm and 1.7 or so vcore. Plenty.

Anandtech reviewed the Asus and gave it a great score.
    edited November 2005
    MackanzOCZ wrote:
    I would say so, yes. With 2 slots for the videocard, you can choose which for a better cooling sollution. On the DFI's top slot, things can get tight. On the other hand the DFI can provide slightly higher voltages. Asus have 3.2 vdimm and 1.7 or so vcore. Plenty.

Anandtech reviewed the Asus and gave it a great score.
    Do I need the 8 pin power connector for that board like the dfi expert or crossfire?

I'm not sold on the extra dfi dimm volts ...I mean who actually runs over 3.0v 24/7? I prefer to bench at what I can maintain day to day.
    edited November 2005
    Not as far as i can see. 24+4 is the standard and an extra molex:

http://www.anandtech.com/mb/showdoc.aspx?i=2589&p=3
    edited November 2005
    MackanzOCZ wrote:
    Not as far as i can see. 24+4 is the standard and an extra molex:

http://www.anandtech.com/mb/showdoc.aspx?i=2589&p=3
    LOL ...I was looking at the same thing.
    It's definitely 24+4.

Now the issue of the upsidedown heatpiping ... :scratch:
    edited November 2005
    Knowing you right, i'
    m sure you'll have at least some caseflow right?
    The board comes with an optional fan for the chipset. Asus says :" For watercoolers, we provides a chipset fan so that there are flow across it."
    Makes sense and a nice feature.
    edited November 2005
    I just placed this order for the waterblock Swiftech Apogee Extreme performance CPU water block $39.95 (Free Shipping) coupon code = cryo-laboratory ordered ...got a great deal.

I'm still researching the a8n32-sli. I've read thru this article a bit but they don't look too favorably on it. It also compares the a8n32 to the ultra-d which is a good thing.
    http://techreport.com/reviews/2005q4/asus-a8n32-sli/index.x?pg=1

Has your chip shipped yet?
    edited November 2005
    MackanzOCZ wrote:
    Knowing you right, i'
    m sure you'll have at least some caseflow right?
    The board comes with an optional fan for the chipset. Asus says :" For watercoolers, we provides a chipset fan so that there are flow across it."
    Makes sense and a nice feature.

dammit mac now you got me obsessing over this mobo. ;D The 8 phase has me hooked. I can't look at any other mobo now.

Did you get one or will you be getting one soon?
    edited November 2005
    I'm getting one any day now. Best design i have seen on a board so far. Costs a dime and a lunch though. Lets just hope it is as good as the reviewing samples. The new chip is being shipped as we speak.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited November 2005
    The new chip is being shipped as we speak.
    Hope you enjoy your Celeron!

;D
    edited November 2005
    LMAO!

/me books a ticket to alaska and brings a carbon-fiber firearm

You got mail Lynn.
    edited November 2005
    MackanzOCZ wrote:
    I'm getting one any day now.

Will you be putting it in your v1200?
    I've been looking around at active and passive heatsinks. I'd like to know how simple/difficult it would be to replace the heatpipe configuration if you can guess. The only part I don't see a replacement for is the sink above the cpu which I'm thinking that the new copper swifty sinks might do.

Just something to kick around.
    edited November 2005
    I talked to Rokk at Dangerden the other day and he is positive DD's chipset block will fit the chip on the board. Either on top like a sandwich or just by removing the whole mackadang. The block has very low flow restriction as well. We'll figure something out.
    I think the name of the case i have is similar to yours but i got the silver one. It's the big tower without the stupid door.
    edited November 2005
    MackanzOCZ wrote:
    I talked to Rokk at Dangerden the other day and he is positive DD's chipset block will fit the chip on the board. Either on top like a sandwich or just by removing the whole mackadang. The block has very low flow restriction as well. We'll figure something out.
    I think the name of the case i have is similar to yours but i got the silver one. It's the big tower without the stupid door.
    stupid door? LOL
    edited November 2005
    Is the powersupply I have now suitable for a second video card?
    I mean it only came w/ one video connection ...isn't there something I can use for the second? This is my first pci-e 16x btw ...as if you couldn't already tell. ;D
  • TexTex Dallas/Ft. Worth
    edited November 2005
    I guess you game real heavy?

Tex
    edited November 2005
    Tex wrote:

Tex
    Well ...not really but my benchies would look really nice! :thumbsup:

Come on Tex talk me out of it so I can sleep in my own bed tonight! ;D

Let's say "IF" I were to add a second card ...couldn't I just add the emi shielded cable and be set?

Here is a link to a review I've been reading. They have a pic of the cable there but they only supply one ...
    http://www.extremeoverclocking.com/reviews/cases/TTGI_PLUG-N_550W_1.html

There is this comment at the end "One feature not present with the PLUG-N line of power supplies is dual +12V rails. Part of the ATX12V V2.0 specifications calls for dual +12V rails (when the current is greater than 18A), which is why this power supply is only listed as meeting ATX12V V1.3 specifications. However, with a specification of 30A on the +12V rail, that equates to the about same amount found on other power supplies with similar specifications if you combine both their +12V rails. Other features, like the SATA connectors, 24pin BTX connector, and power efficiency, all meet ATX12V V2.0 specs. If you would like to learn more about the ATX12V V2.0 specs you can read about it here."

The video cable is the red one all the way to the left.

If so ...where the hell do I get a cable or two like that?
    edited November 2005
    simon,

the important is the 12V rail. Either it should be one rail at 40 amps at least or 2 with 20 each. An extra PCI-E cable costs like $5 which you can connect on 2 molex.
    If you are buing a supply, don't think money only. Tell me how much you can spend on it and i'll find one for you.

The door...one model of those cases comes with a front door which is totally useless.
    edited November 2005
    MackanzOCZ wrote:
    simon,

the important is the 12V rail. Either it should be one rail at 40 amps at least or 2 with 20 each. An extra PCI-E cable costs like $5 which you can connect on 2 molex.
    If you are buing a supply, don't think money only. Tell me how much you can spend on it and i'll find one for you.

The door...one model of those cases comes with a front door which is totally useless.

I already ordered and received the psu. It has a single 12v @ 30 amps.

We are talking about a front door right?
    edited November 2005
    Front door, yes. lol.

You will not be able to run 2 X7800 GT on the psu. Not cause of the connectors, but cause of the amount of power. It may work, but for how long and how reliable it would be..god knows.
    edited November 2005
    MackanzOCZ wrote:
    Front door, yes. lol.

You will not be able to run 2 X7800 GT on the psu. Not cause of the connectors, but cause of the amount of power. It may work, but for how long and how reliable it would be..god knows.

Cool ...I didn't need to spend the extra $300 anyway. Will you be running yours SLI? If so I'd like to know if there is any cpu or mem oc tradeoff.

Ah ...front doors suck. My knee has taken out the one under my desk at work so many times ...damn dell workstations. ;D
    edited November 2005
    Tex wrote:

Tex

Good seeing you btw Tex.
    I'm working for Stone Energy now (past 6 mos) and we have a small office in Houston. The draftsman's name there is jesus ...

ironically his assistants name is ...

mary! ;D
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited November 2005
    csimon wrote:
    ...The draftsman's name there is jesus ...

ironically his assistants name is ...

mary! ;D
    Ought to make for quite a company Christmas party. :D
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited November 2005
    profdlp wrote:
    Ought to make for quite a company Christmas party. :D
    Yeah, sure. And then CSimon shows up and they've got one of the three wise guys!
    edited November 2005
    Leonardo wrote:
    Yeah, sure. And then CSimon shows up and they've got one of the three wise guys!
    I'd be willing to bet they could find two more just by reading through this thread. :vimp:
    edited November 2005
    Leonardo wrote:
    I resemble that remark! ;D
    edited November 2005
    interesting review on this mobo ...uli chipset?

http://www.anandtech.com/mb/showdoc.aspx?i=2617
    edited November 2005
    Ok ...my opti 175 came in and the stepping is CCBWE 0541RPMW.
    Not bad ...I've read about earlier worse steppings in week 30 or 36 with an X.
    edited December 2005
    all of the case components are in ...now for the radiator and wc parts!
    edited December 2005
    csimon wrote:
    all of the case components are in ...now for the radiator and wc parts!
    You have a boatload more patience than I have. I'd be checking this thing out on "air" by now. :D