New Rig Wish List:

Comments

• csimoncsimon Acadiana Icrontian
    edited September 2005
    muddocktor wrote:
    BTW, I've been reading a thread over at the overclockers.com forums talking about the new socket 939 Opterons (1xx series) that will be coming out shortly and will be able to use regular unbufferred ram in a regular socket 939 board. They are supposed to be coming out with a dual core socket 939 Opty too, from what I've read in that thread and it will have 1 MB L2 cache per core and supposedly the price for it is going to be in the $400 range, which isn't much higher than the X2 3800 with half the L2 cache.

Ok ok you guys talked me into it! LOL
    I can't believe after all of the reading I did I misread that. It's been a while though and I was reading during class breaks.
    Doesn't the X2 use unbuffered mem? Aside from the double cache size is there anything else beneficial?
    I suspect when that happens the X2 will drop in price.
    When you get your operton let me know how it overclocks ...I'm not buying just yet ...close ...just not quite yet! :thumbsup:
  • edited September 2005
    Yeah, the X2 uses regular unbuffered ram on a regular socket 939 board that supports them.

The Opty thing is still up in the air and they aren't out yet. Since I'm still waiting on the money to come in, I'm in no itching hurry anyways. That way I might be able to find out if they are fully compatible with present socket 939 boards with just a bios update. The single core socket 939 Opty's (1xx series) are also supposed to have 1 MB cache too, and are actually just rebadged San Diego procs and they will be selling for cheaper than the present 3700 San Diegos (or so the rumors go; no one has actually seen these in the wild yet).
  • SoLoSoLo DirtySouth, USA
    edited September 2005
    well i this is where i am starting..this will be my new Cube. LaN CuBe ..As soon as i get this in i will order a 3800+venice...i will Sell my current LaNeCuBe in about 3 weeks..

Love My LanCube.. :usflag:
    edited September 2005
    muddocktor wrote:
    Yeah, the X2 uses regular unbuffered ram on a regular socket 939 board that supports them.

The Opty thing is still up in the air and they aren't out yet. Since I'm still waiting on the money to come in, I'm in no itching hurry anyways. That way I might be able to find out if they are fully compatible with present socket 939 boards with just a bios update. The single core socket 939 Opty's (1xx series) are also supposed to have 1 MB cache too, and are actually just rebadged San Diego procs and they will be selling for cheaper than the present 3700 San Diegos (or so the rumors go; no one has actually seen these in the wild yet).
    are opertons unlocked or will that upcoming one be?
  • airbornflghtairbornflght Houston, TX Icrontian
    edited September 2005
    no idea. if i could id love to grab me an x2 proc for my rig that im wanting to build. but ill get no money back from the state or govt since my parents claim me....i think they should give me my share. since im paying into the freggin taxes and getting nothing in return.
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited September 2005
    I think only the FX series are unlocked.
  • edited September 2005
    Yaeh, I don't think the Opty's are totally unlocked, like an FX. I think they are done the same way as a regular A64, with them being downwardly unlocked.
    edited September 2005
    Is Venice and Manchester downwardly unlocked cause that's really all I need.

We're going to stick it out here in southcentral louisiana. We're expecting heavy winds and rainfall.
    Rita will probably be making landfall in about 24 hours from now perhaps south to southwest of us. We could be out of electricity for a week or so.
    See you guys when we come back online! :thumbsup:

Mudd what are you guys doing for the hurricane?
    edited September 2005
    Stay safe man. And yeah A64s and Opterons are unlocked downward like mudd mentioned.
    edited September 2005
    ha! manchester dropped $7 today!
    edited September 2005
    what's the differences between all of these motherboards besides price and sli?
    I mean I know that sli is dual nvidia cards and all that but what else is there that keeps driving the prices up and up?
    Sorry if this seems stupid but I thought I might consider an sli board since I'm going with the 7800gt card now and I'm just uninformed ...that's all! ;D

DFI LANPARTY UT nF4 Ultra-D Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce4 Ultra ATX AMD Motherboard
    DFI LANPARTY UT nF4 SLI-DR Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce4 SLI ATX AMD Motherboard
    DFI LP UT nF4 SLI-D Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce4 SLI ATX AMD Motherboard
    DFI LANPARTY nF4 SLI-DR Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce4 SLI ATX AMD Motherboard
    edited September 2005
    The UT boards have a second Gigabit chip. One has 8 channel audio and the other 6. Plus the FrontX stuff. Then there is the SLI and non-SLI of each.
  • edited September 2005
    mmonnin wrote:
    The UT boards have a second Gigabit chip. One has 8 channel audio and the other 6. Plus the FrontX stuff. Then there is the SLI and non-SLI of each.

frontx is useless, i swear.
  • Mt_GoatMt_Goat Head Cheezy Knob Pflugerville (north of Austin) Icrontian
    edited September 2005
    csimon wrote:
    what's the differences between all of these motherboards besides price and sli?
    I mean I know that sli is dual nvidia cards and all that but what else is there that keeps driving the prices up and up?
    Sorry if this seems stupid but I thought I might consider an sli board since I'm going with the 7800gt card now and I'm just uninformed ...that's all! ;D

DFI LANPARTY UT nF4 Ultra-D Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce4 Ultra ATX AMD Motherboard No SLI / 4 SATA II
    DFI LANPARTY UT nF4 SLI-DR Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce4 SLI ATX AMD Motherboard SLI / 4 SATA II / 4 SATA
    DFI LP UT nF4 SLI-D Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce4 SLI ATX AMD Motherboard SLI / 4 SATA II
    DFI LANPARTY nF4 SLI-DR Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce4 SLI ATX AMD Motherboard SLI / 4 SATA II / 4 SATA / Front X Box / UV cables

Other than that all features are the same.
    edited September 2005
    What is the second gigabit chip for a second connection? I guess if one went out then ...but I can't get full use out of one I don't think. ;D
    What exactly is FrontX?
    Which one should I get??? Is Sli still fussy?
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited September 2005
    csimon wrote:
    What is the second gigabit chip for a second connection?...
    It's really handy if you're using the computer for ICS. You could use one port for the cable modem (or DSL, whatever), and the other for a hub to which you could connect your other computers. If you pay for two distinct lines from the cable company you might get added bandwidth from bridging the connections, though I'm not sure how big a deal that would be.

I'll leave the other questions to those with more experience with that sort of thing, ;)
  • TexTex Dallas/Ft. Worth
    edited September 2005
    I run a gigabit network and use one to the switch and the other to connect into a router. It probably only costs penneys more to give you two gigabit versus one gigabit and one 10/100.

Tex
    edited September 2005
    ah yes I had a 10/100 & gb on my server at school and I used the 10/100 for the access point. I could do the same here to do some wireless things.
    edited October 2005
    I think I may order the case and psu this week.
    Anyone have any idea if that psu fits ok into that case??? I'm mostly only concerned about the fan lining up with the bottom of the case vent.

thanks
    csimon
    edited October 2005
    prices have been farely stable lately with the exception of a few weekend sales going on ...like $5 savings here and there. But as luck would have it the superflower went out of stock.
    Ok I learned my lesson ...soon as they come back I swear I will place that order! :thumbsup:
    edited October 2005
    I updated the processor to the toldeo core and the case to a pc-777. The psu is still out of stock.
    edited October 2005
    csimon wrote:
    I updated the processor to the toldeo core and the case to a pc-777. The psu is still out of stock.
    SVC has closed out all TTGI (Superflower) products. You will either need to find one elsewhere or go with a different one.
    edited October 2005
    edited October 2005
    Looks like the same one. The 14CM fan and modular are the 2 key features that set it apart from previous models.
    edited October 2005
    damn that pc p&c is expensive.
  • sfleurietsfleuriet Texas New
    edited October 2005
    Yeah PC Power & Cooling PSU's are really expensive, but I've heard they're the best out there.

I've been thinking that if I ever upgrade my PSU I'd think seriously about this one.
    edited October 2005
    I think I'll stick with the superflower myself. I love the specsheet on it.
    edited October 2005
    csimon wrote:
    I think I'll stick with the superflower myself. I love the specsheet on it.
    For the money it can't be beat. My wife's is running gtrat after almost a year and holds the rails as strong and steady as my PC P&C 510SLI for 1/3 the cost. ;)
    edited October 2005
    mtgoat wrote:
    For the money it can't be beat. My wife's is running gtrat after almost a year and holds the rails as strong and steady as my PC P&C 510SLI for 1/3 the cost. ;)
    I think I'll order it today before supplies run out ...again! ;D:thumbsup:
  • edited October 2005
    I saw some price drops and also a special on the X2 procs this weekend too. Monarch now has the X2 4400 for a little less than $500 and I also saw that Newegg is running a combo special for a free copy of Nero v7 Ultra with any X2 purchase. Here's the overclockers.com front page ad link for the free copy of Nero 7 with an X2 purchase, if anyone else is considering a purchase of 1 in the near future. Newegg presently has the X2 4400 priced at $526 with the free Nero. I see it excludes the X2 3800 though. :( Monarch also has the X2 3800 down to around $339 shipped.

EDIT: Newegg also dropped their prices on their X2 procs after I originally made this post, with their new prices falling in line with Monarch's and still having the free nero Ultra 7.