Movie Thread

Comments

• WinfreyWinfrey waddafuh Missouri Icrontian
    edited July 2009
    Up was pretty great. I saw Public Enemies a couple days ago and was pretty "meh" about it. It's probably still worth seeing, but I had much higher expectations for it.
  • KoreishKoreish I'm a penguin, deal with it. KCMO Icrontian
    edited July 2009
    poofie wrote:
    are we only talking about new releases? what about our favorite movies of all time?

Any and all movies.
  • MAGICMAGIC Doot Doot Furniture City, Michigan Icrontian
    edited July 2009
    Favorite movie of all time, The Big Lebowski.
  • SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    edited July 2009
    Fuck it, dude.

Let's go bowling.
  • ardichokeardichoke Icrontian
    edited July 2009
    That rug really tied the room together.

I know it's campy and cheesy as hell... but I'll always have a place in my heart for Hackers.
    edited July 2009
    Got my tickets for Harry potter for midnight tomorrow night. There's no way this wont be a record breaking opening for a movie. Every Celebration franchise in the area is showing it on 5-8 screens at midnight and they are ALL sold out.
  • chrisWhitechrisWhite Littleton, CO
    edited July 2009
    poofie wrote:
    are we only talking about new releases? what about our favorite movies of all time?

That's not even hard, without question Pan's Labyrinth
  • poofiepoofie Baltimore, MD Icrontian
    edited July 2009
    mine has to be the Princess Bride. i could watch it every day and never get tired of it.
  • SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    edited July 2009
    Shawshank Redemption.
    edited July 2009
    Good call Snark, that's an incredible film
  • GnomeQueenGnomeQueen The Lulz Queen Mountain Dew Mouth Icrontian
    edited July 2009
    I don't know if I could pick a favorite movie, but The Lord of the Rings Trilogy and the Fifth Element would probably be top of the list.
  • GrimnocGrimnoc Marion, IN
    edited July 2009
    Pan's Labyrinth is flat-out boss. Chris, have you seen his earlier film "The Devil's Backbone?" It's pretty good, maybe not comparable to Pan's Labyrinth but great in its own right.

*Rodents of unusual size? I don't they exist.
    edited July 2009
    Yeah, The Devil's Backbone was good, though I didn't think it was on the same level of Pan's Labyrinth. What I loved about The Devil's Backbone was hearing him talk about how he took a gothic narrative and put it in the middle of the most unlikely place setting possible (a Spanish desert in the middle of Civil War) and just hearing his brilliant mind talk about a film on a literary level. Guillermo del Toro is a brilliant man, especially on his own, I liked both Hellboy films but I don't think they match his independent work. I'm reading a book he co-authored called The Strain right now and I'm loving it. It's about vampires.
    edited July 2009
    Despite all the praise I heard thrown at Pan's Labyrinth I've never actually seen it. But that's what Blockbuster is for. I wouldn't say it's my favorite movie of all time but I could listen to the sound track from Aladin all day.

A recent movie I saw on Encore, The Invisibles, was pretty good despite it being a semi-romance.
    edited July 2009
    Koreish wrote:
    Despite all the praise I heard thrown at Pan's Labyrinth I've never actually seen it.

It was pretty good, definetly a rental imo.

Anyone into horror movies? I watched Deadgirl last night. It was pretty bizzar. Also watched Laid to Rest and Martyrs recently. They were really good.
  • poofiepoofie Baltimore, MD Icrontian
    edited July 2009
    n5727668_35735913_9388.jpg

my mom really liked Pan's Labyrinth.
    edited July 2009
    Yeah, I loved how the Devil's Backbone was set and filmed in basically one location, a mission smack dab in the middle of a barren wasteland. I think it really forces the filmmaker to carefully consider and orchestrate his directing, rather than just use a variety of landscapes to prop up sub-par portions of the film. Guillermo del Toro also heads up his own effects house, specializing in monster design and the more physical side of SE. It's the primary reason why the creature's in his movies are so bloody good and mesh so well with the rest of the movie (i.e. It all stems from one man).

*Best film news of the last century; Guillermo del Toro is doing a movie adaptation of H.P. Lovecrafts "At the Mountains of Madness."

**I would be into horror movies, except that I feel the vast majority of them are god-aweful. I am really into the idea and concept of horror movies or literature. I just think that in execution they fall completely flat. I think to be true horror it has to build slowly. Filmmakers seem to think that horror equates to having a good scare, but this just isn't the case. If someone sneaks up on me and yells "Boo" it'll 'scare' me, but just because I got scared doesn't mean I am in a state of 'horror.' It does not mean I am terrified. They are two completely different human conditions. Horror must be slowly impressed upon someone, and it makes no room for a way out. The horror doesn't just come from a physical manifestation, it comes from an inner pysche that is emotionally overwhelmed by a situation that is grim, depressing, hopeless, and soul-crushing. You are not completely horrified because there is a monster in front of you; you are horrified more so because it is not rational to the human mind. There is no way to calm yourself because the situation is not within the realms of human reason, and so on.

*My perfect horror movie has one main protagonist (and basically no one else), is black and white (with more black than white), has an all oboe and cello soundtrack, very few jump scares, and is basically one long, drawn-out film where the hero sees early on that not only can nothing save him, but he literally can't even try to save himself (from whatever it may be that he needs saving).

Or something like that.

Cheers. :)
    edited July 2009
    Yeah, so excited about del Toro's upcoming films, I'm excited to see what he does on The Hobbit, and he's also slated for doing Jeckel and Hyde sometime.

I totally agree with you on horror, have you seen The Orphanage? Scared me shitless because it's so well made and it's so subtle, no stupid American explosions.
    edited July 2009
    chrisWhite wrote:
    I totally agree with you on horror, have you seen The Orphanage? Scared me shitless because it's so well made and it's so subtle, no stupid American explosions.

No, I actually haven't but I've been interested in seeing it for awhile now, basically because it was recommended to me by friends who think the same way I do as far as horror goes. I'll definitely have to check it out now. By the way, I checked out the trailor for Moon and read a couple reviews after you mentioned it in this thread. It looks friggin' great.

*And now since I'm signing up for Netflixs I'll actually be able to see these smaller movies that are usually a bit tougher to find.
  • WagsFTWWagsFTW Grand Rapids, MI Icrontian
    edited July 2009
    My favorite movie of all time is Breakfast At Tiffany's. I have a soft spot for Audrey Hepburn and her style. :)
    edited July 2009
    Netflix is so nice for that stuff. If you like sci-fi, have you seen Sunshine? Loved that movie.
    edited July 2009
    Yeah, Sunshine was fantastic. I generally have liked all of Danny Boyle's stuff. Always entertaining, always well-made.
    edited July 2009
    I completely agree.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited July 2009
    Sunshine and Event Horizon. Nobody has this brand of space horror better, and I hate horror movies 'cause they're usually a total bore.
    edited July 2009
    Ah, Event Horizen, good film. I especially like the first half.
    edited July 2009
    Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince. I thought it was a good movie. Though, as a pretty big fan and this being my favorite book, i had some pretty high expectations. I had some moments from the book that i love, really was looking forward to seeing brought to life, and you would think are very important parts of the movie as a whole that the were simply excluded.
    Bill being mauled by Fenrir, the character of Rufus Scrimjaw, some of the key memories about Voldemort's history, and whats the deal with the Burrow being burned down just to name a few of the more noticable events that where excluded or added.

I would assume some of this will be pushed to the first Deathly Hollows movie, but i dont know.
    edited July 2009
    [/ spoiler] minus space
    Snape kills Dumbledore
    edited July 2009
    But, Dumbldore asked him to
    edited July 2009
    The Half-Blood Prince was my favorite outside the first three, but I've yet to even see the fifth movie. I've heard the Half-Blood Prince is one of the better movie adaptations though (not that I thought the others were bad).
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited July 2009
    I think HPB, as a movie, is the best so far.