Movie Thread

Comments

• ObsidianObsidian Michigan Icrontian
    edited September 2009
    Just watched Before the Devil Knows You're Dead.

I watch a lot of fucked up movies. Why can't I just be satisfied with a happy ending every now and then?
  • GrimnocGrimnoc Marion, IN
    edited September 2009
    So anyway, I just saw Inglourious Basterds about an hour ago. It's fantastic, and easily has one of the best movie villains ever (I know this is a rather bombastic statement, but I really believe it).
  • KoreishKoreish I'm a penguin, deal with it. KCMO Icrontian
    edited September 2009
    For anyone interested in seeing 9 but hasn't seen the original short film.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited September 2009
    Going to see Inglourious Basterds (third time) and 9 tonight. :)
  • _k_k P-Town, Texas Icrontian
    edited September 2009
    Can't wait for Oct. to roll around there are so many movies coming out. Mr.Nobody is a Belgium film that looks great.
    edited September 2009
    Belgium has movies?
    edited September 2009
    Verdict on 9: 6.5 - 7/10. Great art direction with a weak premise and a rushed/incomplete delivery. It felt like the movie was "missing" something.
  • MAGICMAGIC Doot Doot Furniture City, Michigan Icrontian
    edited September 2009
    Thrax wrote:
    Verdict on 9: 6.5 - 7/10. Great art direction with a weak premise and a rushed/incomplete delivery. It felt like the movie was "missing" something.

Worth an 8 dollar movie ticket or a rental?
  • GattsuGattsu Orlando, Florida Icrontian
    edited September 2009
    If you are a Tarantino fan, and you haven't seen Inglorious Basterds yet. You must, easily Tarantino's best movie since Kill Bill Vol. 2
    edited September 2009
    MAGIC wrote:
    Worth an 8 dollar movie ticket or a rental?

Maybe a $4.50-$6 ticket.
    edited September 2009
    American Beauty is one hell of a film.
    edited September 2009
    ^
    edited September 2009
    I would see 9 on netflix, the trailer was better. The time scale for events in the movie was to short.
    edited September 2009
    District 9 was definitely worth the price of a ticket. Even if you don't end up liking it that much I think you'll at least agree that it was something you really should see.
  • Mt_GoatMt_Goat Head Cheezy Knob Pflugerville (north of Austin) Icrontian
    edited September 2009
    Thrax wrote:
    Maybe a $4.50-$6 ticket.

I paid the $6 matinee price and wished I had waited for it come out on cable. Very weak execution, the directors must have been on a different planet than the cast and crew.
  • Mt_GoatMt_Goat Head Cheezy Knob Pflugerville (north of Austin) Icrontian
    edited September 2009
    Obsidian wrote:
    District 9 was definitely worth the price of a ticket. Even if you don't end up liking it that much I think you'll at least agree that it was something you really should see.

Just like everyone needs to see an execution at the local prison. :sawed:
  • kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited September 2009
    Thrax wrote:

I generally agree with this. The animation and the visuals are stunning but the whole movie seemed to be missing a large chunk of it. Like starting a book in the middle then skipping ahead to the end. I rather enjoyed it as a whole and I think it's worth seeing on the big screen just to get a great sense of the details of the visuals. But overall I was hoping for so much more then it was. This is a movie that needed to be about an hour longer then we got.
  • GrimnocGrimnoc Marion, IN
    edited September 2009
    So I just watch the Joy Division biopic, "Control," the other night and it was a great one! It's certainly a fine movie standing on its own, but it's especially more so if you are a fan of Joy Division.

And if you aren't a fan of Joy Division get outta town. :)
    edited October 2009
    I Hope They Serve Beer in Hell is out in select theatres, go see it if you read the book or you find yourself waking up drunk a theatre parking lot.

Martyrs is a really messed up horror film if you are into gore and ultra gore, it smack talks religion some.
    edited October 2009
    The Legend of the Drunken Master.
    edited October 2009
    Saw Zombieland on the weekend. This fun little movies stars Jessie Eisenberg as our focal point and narrator, Woody Harrelson as our ass kicking, gun toting, one liner dropping hero and our two not so distressed damsels Emma Stone and Abigail Breslin.

The movie takes place just after the Zombie Apocalypse in which a variant of mad cow disease drives a majority of the population into flesh eating zombies and the other half of the population to dead. It's an action/dark comedy more heavy on the action and gore as opposed to say Shaun of the Dead which is more heavy on the comedy.

The movie trucks along in typical zombie fashion where the heroes mus search for resources fend of zombies and deal with the stress of the other survivors in the group. It's nothing really new or inventive but it's a hell of a lot of fun. There's really not much else to say. The movie looks good, has it's own style, the actors look like they were having a blast and the whole thing will keep you entertained from start to finish.

It's a great popcorn flick for sure and it's one I'll gladly watch again when it comes out on DVD. Overall it's not quite as good as Shaun of the Dead, but I think that really comes down to personal tastes as to where your sense of comedy vs action lie.

I highly recommend this movie to fans of the genre. If you think the trailers look good then you won't be disappointed.

4 out of 5 a bullet to the head.
    edited October 2009
    Zombieland is old new Law Abiding Citizen premiers in 15 minutes.
    edited October 2009
    Koreish wrote:
    Zombieland is old new Law Abiding Citizen premiers in 15 minutes.
    That movie is going to suck so hard.
    edited October 2009
    I have a feeling Law Abiding Citizen will be like Man on Fire. Only lacking story, lacking substance, lacking a powerful ending and substitute it all for bigger explosions and violence. While I'm not opposed to the later it's the difference between what makes a great and memorable movie and one that is forgotten when I exit the theater.
    edited October 2009
    lack a powerful ending? He kidnaps the guys brother, gets the kid back, and exchanges himself but dies as the bad guys drive away with him. Thus completing his Christ-like transformation.
    edited October 2009
    oh sorry about above, didn't occur to me until I saw someone edited that.

Everyone should watch Into The Wild, its a really great movie with a powerful message.
  • SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    edited October 2009
    I actually REALLY enjoyed Man on Fire. Damn solid movie.
    edited October 2009
    Saw Zombieland on Saturday. Was everything it needed to be.
  • GuyuteGuyute Gamehenge
    edited October 2009
    Law-Abiding Citizen was fantastic- until the last 2 minutes ruined it.
  • MAGICMAGIC Doot Doot Furniture City, Michigan Icrontian
    edited October 2009
    Paranormal Activity, great horror movie. I loved the ending, but i wish there would have been a little more to it.