Movie Thread

Comments

• GrimnocGrimnoc Marion, IN
    edited August 2009
    *Muay Thai

*I know people that would be incensed at calling Muay Thai "Kung Fu" :D

Yeah, I have a passing familiarity with what Muay Thai is (a friend's brother practiced it), but many other people don't so I was just searching for a generic term people would understand or be able associate with that type of movie.

Then again, maybe martial arts flick would have been more appropriate. :)
  • CantiCanti =/= smalltime http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9K18CGEeiI&feature=related Icrontian
    edited August 2009
  • KoreishKoreish I'm a penguin, deal with it. KCMO Icrontian
    edited August 2009
    In Ongbak Muay Thai fucks you.
  • kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited August 2009
    Go see District 9. It is one of the better movies I've seen in a good long while. Fantastic. I won't spoil any of the story.

Acting was great, really created some good tension and the main character was believable. The creature SFX's looked great. The fight scenes were better then anything they put out in Transformers.

Can't wait for the sequel.

5 out of 5.
  • MAGICMAGIC Doot Doot Furniture City, Michigan Icrontian
    edited August 2009
    kryyst wrote:
    Can't wait for the sequel.

It doesn't need a sequel.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited August 2009
    I personally hope that D9 never gets a sequel. I appreciate the unresolved note at the end of the film, and it was certainly one of the best scifi movies I've ever watched.
    edited August 2009
    The movie doesn't need a sequel to complete this portion of the story. But I'd love to see the movie that picks up 3 yrs later. If it is given the same love this one has and the intensity that this movie ended with. That would be an awesome site.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited August 2009
    A sequel would absolutely ruin the respect I have for D9. It is a great movie on its own merit, and a sequel would cheapen the whole thing.
  • jj Sterling Heights, MI Icrontian
    edited August 2009
    D9 was awesome, but did anyone else notice that the Aliens look like Zoidburg from futurama
    edited August 2009
    Old.
    edited August 2009
    The problem with not wanting a sequel is that if it makes enough money, and if it's as good as you say it is, then there is inevitable a sequel lurking around the corner. Pirates trilogy is a prime example.
    edited August 2009
    The ambiguous open ending of District 9 isn’t just for artistic purposes, Neill Blomkamp, the South African writer-director is thinking seriously about a District 9 sequel, presumably called District 10. So what has been said, and how likely is it? “If this film is successful, if audiences want another, whatever, District 10, I would love to do it,” said Blomkamp a couple of weeks ago. “It’s a very personal film, and it’s a universe and a place that I find incredibly creative. I’d love to go back to that universe.”
    But he’s planning a gap first. “I have another science fiction film now that I want to write for the rest of the year,” Blomkamp said. “That, I think, may be the next one, and I’m incredibly into [it]. It’s quite different, and it’s a unique idea, but I’m very into it. …It’s a very similar genre.”
    But will District 9 be successful enough? Short answer, yes. It opened number 1 on Friday with $14m, that’s half of its budget back in one day. It has an 89% final rating on Rotten Tomatoes, and, remarkably, a 9.0/10 average vote on imdb, making it the 78th most popular film ever with users. That sort of word of mouth means a long and profitable box office run.
    edited August 2009
    if audiences want another, whatever, District 10, I would love to do it

Well perfect, 9/10 movie goers in this thread say nay. Majority rules.
    edited August 2009
    9 out of 10 Americans believe that out of the 10 people, 1 person will always disagree with the other 9.
    edited August 2009
    I'm glad I'm not number 10 on this one LOL
    edited August 2009
    Thrax wrote:
    I personally hope that D9 never gets a sequel. I appreciate the unresolved note at the end of the film, and it was certainly one of the best scifi movies I've ever watched.

I'm with you there Thrax.
    edited August 2009
    Just got back from watching District 9, great movie. I had only three problems with the movie and I'm really nitpicking to find these.
    Why wasn't he quarantined after being sprayed by the fluid? Where did all the aliens go after he was sprayed? They just kinda stopped appearing until the very end, and I feel the evacuation is a lame excuse because it would take more than 76 hours to evacuate that many aliens. I thought the mutation was supposed to be accelerating. If it only took 16 hours for his whole arm to mutate why wasn't he finished by the end of the movie.

The conclusion left me both satisfied and wanting more at the same time. At this point I can go either way with a sequel.
    edited August 2009
    Koreish wrote:
    Just got back from watching District 9, great movie. I had only three problems with the movie and I'm really nitpicking to find these.
    Why wasn't he quarantined after being sprayed by the fluid? Where did all the aliens go after he was sprayed? They just kinda stopped appearing until the very end, and I feel the evacuation is a lame excuse because it would take more than 76 hours to evacuate that many aliens. I thought the mutation was supposed to be accelerating. If it only took 16 hours for his whole arm to mutate why wasn't he finished by the end of the movie.

The conclusion left me both satisfied and wanting more at the same time. At this point I can go either way with a sequel.

Answers
    He didn't get quarantined because only a few subordinates knew he got sprayed and he basically told them it was nothing, cut the tape etc....

The aliens were either evacuated or in hiding. There were still aliens in both spots at the end of the movie, but I agree that part seemed a little rush for the actual move. But it was hard to tell exactly where all the aliens where because they never showed the full scope of either location.

The mutation was finished at the end of the movie or at least that was the hint. It showed his wife receiving a flower made of garbage, then it showed the full alien sitting in the camp making a flower.
    edited August 2009
    I understand that Kryyst but I just feel he should have been farther along by the time of the climax. At that point it was just the arm, which he had after 16 hours, and after an additional 60 hours had part of a shoulder and an eye. If the mutation was accelerating I just feel more should have been different. But I'm just nitpicking and in no way does it really affect how great a movie it was.
  • SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    edited August 2009
    Hey. Spoiler those bits too, plz.
    edited August 2009
    Sorry thought I did. Anyway change of topic. Inglorious Bastards coming out this weekend I believe?
    edited August 2009
    Yep, and it's Inglorious Basterds. This is on my must see list. Hopefully that'll happen this weekend.
    edited August 2009
    Gah, I'm waiting to see it until some friends get back into town so I won't be able to see it for a couple of weeks, but I'm pretty stoked as well.
  • ardichokeardichoke Icrontian
    edited August 2009
    I'm planning on seeing Inglorious Basterds today... I'll let you all know if it's worth the ticket or not.
    edited August 2009
    Thanks Ardichoke, I've heard good things so far.
    edited August 2009
    I'm seeing Inglorious Basterds tonight as well. Will let you dudes know.
    edited August 2009
    Thrax wrote:
    I'm seeing Inglorious Basterds tonight as well. Will let you dudes know.

We saw it today. Not QT's best. The ending was cool, but getting to that point was painful.
  • ardichokeardichoke Icrontian
    edited August 2009
    Inglorious Basterds was a lot of things. You could definitely tell it was a Tarantino film. It was a little all over the place at first like most of his films, though it didn't do any of the jumping forward/backward in time. It was quite funny at parts, I really was not expecting that. Mike Meyers even makes an appearance in the movie... his scene, sadly, was fairly absurd IMO. There's a lot of violence in this movie, but what else would expect from Quentin? I, for one, thought the opening scene was pretty amazing. Lots of drama and some pretty great dialogue (though the switch from French to English was a rather stupid gimmick). Really though, to sum it up, I'd say it's not his best work but it was pretty damn good. There were a few parts I would have left out due to the absurdity of them but overall it was a solid movie. I give it a 7/10 and recommend that if you go see it if you like Tarantino's previous work... but that's just my opinion, I could be wrong.
    edited August 2009
    I give it an 8/10. If anything, I think the movie shows that he has evolved as a filmmaker. I greatly enjoyed the film.
    edited August 2009
    Ill have to go catch that tomorrow.