Post your mods!

LawnMMLawnMM Colorado
edited May 2011 in Hardware
Okay boys, here we have it...the official sticky Mods thread. Throw pics, drawings, plans, whatever has to do with your latest or vintage mod and post 'er here for all to see!

I'll get teh ball rollin'! :D

amd.jpg

Dremel all the way! AMD rocks!

Comments

• KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    I'm awaiting use of my freind's digital camera, so in the meatime I'll have to explain my mods.

I've got 4 Antec blue LED fans for intake/exhaust, an Antec blue LED on my Alpha PAL 8045, silver braided rounded cables, a full-size window cutout with a custom decal that reads ÜberBlue with an AXP logo underneath.

I changed the green power and HD LEDs on the front to blue, and would like to replace the CD-RW and DVD LEDs too.

The big bummer is that the case is beige, not blue.
  • ClutchClutch North Carolina New
    edited June 2003
    Might as well post my mod while I'm here. This was my first attempt at a dremel and plexi glass so it's not the best in the world, but it's mine damnit :D

side1.JPG

side2.JPG

light.JPG
  • LawnMMLawnMM Colorado
    edited June 2003
    TD_Isles said
    I'm awaiting use of my freind's digital camera, so in the meatime I'll have to explain my mods.

I've got 4 Antec blue LED fans for intake/exhaust, an Antec blue LED on my Alpha PAL 8045, silver braided rounded cables, a full-size window cutout with a custom decal that reads ÜberBlue with an AXP logo underneath.

I changed the green power and HD LEDs on the front to blue, and would like to replace the CD-RW and DVD LEDs too.

The big bummer is that the case is beige, not blue.

Paint it yo!
    Clutch said
    Might as well post my mod while I'm here. This was my first attempt at a dremel and plexi glass so it's not the best in the world, but it's mine damnit :D

side1.JPG

side2.JPG

light.JPG

Looks good clutch, thats a bright frickin CC!
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    pic1.jpg

I was going for a classy look to this mod... although nothing looks too classy in that craphole of a bedroom I've got. It's a Chieftec Mini-Mid tower with two 80MM LED fans in front, power and HDD LEDs changed to blue, and stealthed CD-RW drive. I also have the custom case badges my friends and I had made for Nexlia.com, our website, on the front. I've got a few more subtle mods on the way including front USB 2.0 ports, maybe a front firewire also, cut into one of the 3.5" floppy covers.
  • danball1976danball1976 Wichita Falls, TX
    edited June 2003
    My current mod will be figuring out how to remove and replace the top case fan in my Lian-Li PC60+USB case since that fan is dying.
  • dodododo Landisville, PA
    edited June 2003
    Not so much a mod as a serious lack of a budget, and thus, a case. Let me tell you, for $10 total, its definatly ghetto.
    edited June 2003
    Is that your main rig? You better not bump your desk to hard, if so, your whole rig is coming to the ground. Better get to saving some money bud.
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited June 2003
    A finishing project.
    2.jpg 107.9K
  • CaffeineMeCaffeineMe Cedar Rapids, IA
    edited June 2003
    Most of you have prob. seen mine, but here's the link anyhow. Large pictures ahead, be warned dial up users!

http://www.angelfire.com/ia3/billmaly/
  • paroxymparoxym Toronto, Canada
    edited June 2003
    mmonnin: Thats a pretty awesome NES mod ya got goin on there but how does she breathe?? :)
    Any chance you could post some more pics?

/PX
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited June 2003
    She is not done yet. I have to drill some holes for 2 40mm fans and then put it all together and make sure she is stable, PSU wise.

Consider the pic a teaser. An article should be out before the month is over, I will be moving to college in a month.
  • paroxymparoxym Toronto, Canada
    edited June 2003
    mmonnin said

Consider the pic a teaser. An article should be out before the month is over, I will be moving to college in a month.

Well, I always like a good mod and I will be lookin forward to that article. Great work so far :D

/PX
  • ZorkiZorki Sasebo, Japan
    edited June 2003
    Its a cheap Enermax case but it has plenty of fan holes! I yanked out the front USB and audio, the door in front of them, then hacked out the case with a kitchen knife. Mark of a folder? It didn't get turned off during surgery or for its portrait. :thumbsup:
    edited June 2003
    Inside, at front is a cheap 4-LED 120mm and waaayyy too long cables, then my shiny blue mobo and Antec 3-LED 80mm on an AOpen heatsink.
    edited June 2003
    Yeah, thats not my main system, thats a quality pentium pro 200Mhz system pull that lost its case to something more worthwhile. I'd like to say that i have the motherboard actually mounted to that board...but its just sitting there.

~dodo
    edited June 2003
    Doesn't your hard drive and optical drive rattle or something?
  • LawnMMLawnMM Colorado
    edited June 2003
    dodo said
    Not so much a mod as a serious lack of a budget, and thus, a case. Let me tell you, for $10 total, its definatly ghetto.

Thats the most ghetto mod I've ever seen! :D
    edited June 2003
    Zorki said
    Doesn't your hard drive and optical drive rattle or something?

Well, no. They arent exactly high speed components, so that may be why they dont. At least the board isnt warped. Actually, I removed the CDROM drive and put it in another system...and the floppy.

~dodo
    edited June 2003
    LawnMM said
    Thats the most ghetto mod I've ever seen! :D

Well, i think the ghettoness could be improved by duct taping the components on the board and mounting it vertically, but thats a little risky.

~dodo
    edited June 2003
    Wouldn't it be funny if a house fly landed on your hs fan and got cut up? hehe I just thought about that. And yes, the ghettoness could be upped a level, but it looks plenty ghetto for me.
  • LawnMMLawnMM Colorado
    edited June 2003
    Clutch said
    Wouldn't it be funny if a house fly landed on your hs fan and got cut up? hehe I just thought about that. And yes, the ghettoness could be upped a level, but it looks plenty ghetto for me.

Thats pretty close to where the expression "bug" actually originated from actually...
  • mcwcmcwc Vancouver, BC Member
    edited June 2003
    Here is something you don't see on Compaqs. Extra fans! It's my brother's Compaq that I modded for some more air flow in its cramped case. The cables are wrapped with electrical tape, zip tied to the PSU, folded IDE cables, CoolerMaster HSF (I killed the OEM one with canned air :eek: ), one fan on the rear, sticking out; and one beside the PSU blowing air to the HSF.
    edited June 2003
    Here is my own. It's nothing spectacular. No windows and glowing LED fans. Just some low budget mods. I made 2 blowholes (side and top), enlarged the front intake, removed the stamped grill from the PSU, front intake, and rear exhaust. Homemade fanbus, folded IDE cables, and electrical tape wrapped cables zip tied along the case. It probably only cost me $30CDN.
  • LawnMMLawnMM Colorado
    edited June 2003
    Nice! Was wondering what that black contraption was on the bottom inside there!
    edited June 2003
    Methinks your fingers would beneift from some kind of grill on those fans. :D And yeah, whats that black thing?

~dodo
    edited June 2003
    The black thing on the bottom of my case is my homemade fanbus. As for grills at the back of my case, nah. No one is going to go to the back of my case except for me.
  • DeathStarDeathStar DEATHSTAR^MAINFRAME
    edited June 2003
    Here's a recent pic of my ongoing mods....
  • CycloniteCyclonite Tampa, Florida Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    Uhhh... Whoa... :wow:
  • edited June 2003
    Real nice, DeathStar!:thumbsup:

Here's my watercooled sx1240 dually, no lights or nothing fancy though.
  • DeathStarDeathStar DEATHSTAR^MAINFRAME
    edited June 2003
    muddocktor said
    Real nice, DeathStar!:thumbsup:

Here's my watercooled sx1240 dually, no lights or nothing fancy though.

Very nice! I was going to watercool this beast but decided against it as I have limited case space; I don't have anything fancy on the inside either as no one gets to see it unless I post pics.... :)

MP2800 Bartons on a MSI K7D Master-L w/Retail HSFs