Overwatch

Comments

• SodaSoda Ann Arbor, MI Icrontian

The skillcap looks insane. I am excited.

StrikesCanti
  • CantiCanti =/= smalltime http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9K18CGEeiI&feature=related Icrontian
    edited November 2016

New patch is live. Sombra is out, new map, new game mode, lots of ability changes with this patch.

General
    *Dealing damage to things other than players (like Torbjörn's turret or Symmetra's teleporter) no longer charges ultimate abilities
    *Ultimate costs have been increased by 25% for all heroes

Ana
    *Nano Boost no longer increases move speed

D. Va
    *Call Mech ultimate cost has been decreased by 20%
    *Mech health increased to 200 (formerly 100). Armor remains at 400
    *Movement speed while firing has been increased by 25%

Lúcio
    *Healing per second has been decreased by 10%

Mei
    *Ultimate cost has been increased by 15%

Mercy
    *Passive health regeneration now activates when Mercy avoids taking damage for 1 second (formerly 3 seconds)

Pharah
    *Rocket Launcher
    Minimum explosion damage has been increased by 13%
    Minimum explosion knockback has been decreased to 0%
    *Jump Jets
    Lift increased by 35%

Soldier: 76
    *Pulse Rifle
    Bullet damage increased from 17 to 20
    Maximum bullet spread increased from 2.2 to 2.4

Torbjörn
    *Scrap is now automatically generated over time
    *The amount of scrap collected from a fallen enemy has been decreased by 40%
    *Forge Hammer
    Swing speed increased by 25%
    Damage decreased by 27%

Widowmaker
    *Venom Mine
    Explosion no longer damages the player who placed the mine
    *Widow’s Kiss
    Charge rate increased by 20%

Zarya
    *Particle Barrier
    Power gained from barriers decreased by 20% (FUCK)
    *Projected Barrier
    Power gained from barriers decreased by 20% (FUCKER SHIT)

• GnomeQueenGnomeQueen The Lulz Queen Mountain Dew Mouth Icrontian

D. Va

*Call Mech ultimate cost has been decreased by 20%
    *Mech health increased to 200 (formerly 100). Armor remains at 400
    *Movement speed while firing has been increased by 25%

FFS

UPSLynx
  • CantiCanti =/= smalltime http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9K18CGEeiI&feature=related Icrontian

FOR REAL

• The Overwatch competitive community is a strange place. I want to find better ways to group up with like minded players. I want a good match, but I want people to be reasonable and friendly (I know, hard to believe)....

The obsession about team comp, if it's right, everyone has an opinion, if someone has a bad round the whiners and the gripes, it's unreal how much emotion kids can pour into a PC game. I've played so many shooters so casually, really the only time I was ever ultra competitive was in Call of Duty 2 and United Offensive because I was the man in that game, but Unreal, Quake, TF2 even, always had a more causal "It's just a game approach"... For some reason I feel more competitive in overwatch, I like that mode, I like the challenge of better players and more refined strategy, but the kids bitching because someone feels like they will be a better Junkrat than Lucio... The community is on my nerves, yet I can't stop playing. I spent a couple hours the other night simply figuring out how Sombra works in training. I've never been this into a game. It has some strange grip on me.

• colacola part legend, part devil... all man Balls deep Icrontian
    edited December 2016

First loot box of holiday season:

@UPSLynx

CantiLevexCycloniteRahnalH102
  • UPSLynxUPSLynx :KAPPA: Redwood City, CA Icrontian

So everyone knows how legendarily bad my luck is with loot boxes, right?

My complimentary Winter box? It had the Mercy mistletoe victory pose (the only major item Mercy got this event). It's super cute and I'm really happy with it. My luck finally came to!

...Then I got it again.

......and again.

THREE TIMES in my first six boxes. And to make it sting even more, the dupes are only worth 15 coin. Thanks, Blizz.

IlriyasCantiCliff_Forstercola
  • UPSLynxUPSLynx :KAPPA: Redwood City, CA Icrontian

@Cliff_Forster said:
    but the kids bitching because someone feels like they will be a better Junkrat than Lucio... The community is on my nerves, yet I can't stop playing.

I have a theory for why our "good old games" felt more casual, and modern shooters, especially overwatch, feel more aggressive and unfriendly. There are two parts to it:

1. communication is easier and more accessible than ever. Every game has group text chat AND voice chat, and people are so acclimated to them that they use them for everything and anything. Back in the day, we'd have to go out of our way to use voice in games before they were natively implemented in-engine (with applications like Roger Wilco!). That took effort, and you weren't about to turn that effort into "hey you suck I'm gonna eff your mom" just because someone did something you didn't like. Kids grow up with headsets and voice chat these days, they're not going to hesitate to use that communication to be a total punk.

2. Competitive modes, ranking, and skill-based matchmaking. Competitive gaming hardly existed back in those days, and you certainly didn't have an ELO of any sorts. If you won or lost, it didn't matter, because ultimately it didn't affect anything. Now, a loss takes your rank down, reduces ELO, and literally changes how you get matchmaked and grouped. People get cranky about their K/D in games because in most modern shooters, it changes their experience, and gives them something to brag about. And hey, get good enough, and you just might make it into the pro scene. All stuff that were pipe dreams when games felt more relaxed and casual.

Not that any of this is bad, it's just how things have changed over time. It's something I find super interesting and do a lot of thinking about, especially at work. Been fun to watch it evolve.

Cliff_Forster
  • I agree @UPSLynx - It's a strange thing, I enjoy the casual environment better in many ways, but when competitive comes together, you have a good match, all 12 people are mature and reasonable with one another, the match is good, the game is close, win or loose it's a lot of fun and you get more out of it, but more and more I'm finding these frustrated kids that complain constantly about a video game, and it's just silly. First rule of ELO Hell... It's never your fault. And that is the attitude that keeps many players exactly where they belong in the rankings. I'll say this, I don't like how team focused the skill ratings are, I do think there should be some balance for individual achievement. Ryne Sandburg and Cal Ripken played on more loosing clubs than they did winning, but they are still both Hall of Fame players. I get that you want to create a grading environment that encourages unselfish team based play, but at the same time, I've lost on teams where I have owned face the entire time, you get four golds, you hold point as much as you can and the five guys around you just struggle, and you drop 30 points after... They could grade better somehow, but then again, why does it really even matter to me? Why do I care? I can't explain it, it isn't like I'm going pro. It isn't like I can score hot babes or endorsement deals with my mad shooter skills... but yet, it irks me, it's such a weird psychological phenomenon.

UPSLynx
  • CrazyJoeCrazyJoe Winter Springs, FL Icrontian

No love for Bastion this Xmas. :-( I love playing me some Bastionwatch.

• IlriyasIlriyas The Syrupy Canadian Toronto, Ontario Icrontian

I got a thing

@Ilriyas said:
    I got a thing

Who cares about your thing, Fettbacon has a salty dick!

UPSLynx
  • KarmaKarma Likes yoga Icrontian

@GnomeQueen said:

@Ilriyas said:
    I got a thing

You don't?

• aspieRommelaspieRommel Icrontic politico Indianapolis, IN Icrontian

@GnomeQueen said:

@Ilriyas said:
    I got a thing

How would you know, @GnomeQueen ?

• FettBaconFettBacon Viscount Icrontian

@GnomeQueen said:

You right tho

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian

Missing Mei, Zenyatta, Roadhog. I need Zenyatta so bad.

• The comic this week has mostly served to show how remarkably immature and selfish much of gamer culture is.

In 1992 when Marvel did a gay hero in Alpha Flight, there was a moment for discussion to perhaps allow people to get used to the idea. If you are not hip to the reality that some girls dig girls and some guys dig guys in 2016..... or...... use that as an opportunity to make "lethal lesbian" jokes, or complain that obviously it should have been Zaria because you know, "Butch" stereotype, or cry that your "Waifu" is now ruined, I want to personally reach through the monitor and smack you around. I wish I had some kind of remote shock device. Dear Santa, ability to shock people remotely from across the internet, Love Cliff.

pigflipper
  • FargeFarge Icrontian

To be honest, I have seen a LOT more people complaining about the complainers than complainers themselves. This said, I do not use the official forums. I think if you were to poll everyone though you would find the vast majority of people are fine with this, or don't really care, so take solace in that.

RahnalH102
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian

That's typical blizzard. The "community" thinks they're the COMMUNITY. The tiny percentage of players who actually take the time to bitch on forums think they represent "the community" just because they bothered to post and then have a handful of others agree with them. It's rampant in the Blizzard playerbase.

• FettBaconFettBacon Viscount Icrontian

I'm upset about the change. I think it should have been pharah and mercy.

RahnalH102FargeUPSLynx
  • TadarranTadarran Cleveland Member

Not sure if anyone is still playing Overwatch but i'm trying to queue competitive and would love to play with you guys! I'm 2300 right now and trying to push platinum

_k
  • TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian

Post your blizz name + number

• MassalinieMassalinie _k's Waifu Texas Icrontian

I would like to play but I haven't played since it came out so I'm still noob level.

_k
  • RahnalH102RahnalH102 the Green Devout, Veteran Monster Hunter, Creature Enthusiast New Mexico Icrontian

On a similar note: http://imgur.com/gallery/jSyfn

IlriyasSodaUPSLynx
  • MytchMytch The Heights, MI Icrontian
    edited January 2017

boop

• HumerusMegHumerusMeg Something, something medical professional, Fitness bitch, Sexy chef Austin Icrontian
    edited January 2017

You guys see the new Chinese New Year Trailer?!! http://streamable.com/wqvum

@UPSLynx you GONNA LOVE THAT MERCY SKINNNNNNNN

Who wants to play capture the flag ;) Can't wait for this to drop

UPSLynxChooch

Lucio can now wall ride in reverse, Roadhog can't hook around corners anymore and DVa is dead. Neat.

LevexUPSLynx