Asus M2N32-SLI Deluxe stability problems

Comments

• edited August 2006
    Hi, not sure if anyone is checking this thread anymore, but I have a problem similar to primesuspect that I really need some help with.

Basically I get random crashes/reboots in windows and I've also had it crash while in the bios setup. However memtest86 reports ram is good and I've been running 2 copies of prime95 (one blend one long) for 22 hours so far without crashes or errors.

If prime95 does ok for 24 hours straight I am inclined to think that the cpu and ram are in fact ok. If it hadn't crashed while in the bios setup i would assume a bad driver, but i don't think that that would effect the bios.

Anyway any advice would be great.

My setup is as follows

Athlon fx-62
    M2N32 Sli deluxe wireless edition
    2gb corsair twinx pc-6400
    WD raptor 74gb
    pPextor dvd/cd burner
    two xfx geforce 7950 gx2 xx edition
    Sound Blaster audigy zs
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited August 2006
    Did you read the whole thread? Try moving your sticks from the "right slots" to the "wrong slots".. :)
  • edited August 2006
    I did read that in the thread, but I haven't tried it yet. I'm waiting till I've had prime95 running for 24 hours and that has about another 2 to go. I will try it then.

Also I should probably mention that I have the old 302 (i believe) version of the bios, and am too nervous to flash it right now. Do you think updating to the 603 could help?
    edited August 2006
    Yes. I would move the memory to the other slots and then update the bios. I am fairly confident that this will solve your stability problems.
  • edited August 2006
    I hope so. I will give both things a try and post the result.

Thanks!
  • edited August 2006
    Well, I switched the ram and updated the bios to 0603 and so far (fingers crossed) stability seems to be ok, I haven't tested it much (an hour or so of civ4) and will continue to test for a day or two and see how it goes.

I think it must have been a bad bios or something. I had another wierd problem (discovered before the bios update) with restarting. Basically if windows restarted or i rebooted from bios setup the computer would stay on, but the monitor wouldn't recieve any sgnal. But hopefully it is gone, as it has restarted ok.
    edited August 2006
    I really think it's the RAM slots. This is such a bizarre problem. It would be fixed if only ASUS would update the manual :rolleyes:
  • edited August 2006
    I have an M2N32-SLI Deluxe, I must have been one of the lucky ones as this board has never put a foot wrong. It's stable, never crashes, really good.

Except...the sound.

Now I don't get crackling or anything like anyone here got, but I get a completely different thing.

Long boot time.

The windows xp logo will display, hdd will load for a few seconds, then suddenly just stop. no activity....then about 30 sec later it'll start again and boot into windows as if nothing went wrong, disable the sound in bios and it goes straight into windows, no halt. its wierd, even if i uninstall the soundmax drivers from the pc and not disasble it, it goes straight in, so its a driver issue i think, but ive tried so many drivers it isnt funny, reckon anyone can help me? thanks :D
  • edited August 2006
    Hello everybody. I just found out today that my stability problems didn´t had to do with memory slots. My issues were caused by artic silver 5 fallen on the circuits of my mobo. After cleaning it, I put my memory sticks back to a1 b1 and the system is running fine for hours.
  • edited August 2006
    Hey all, I just registered to tell you guys this:

I have the: Asus M2N32-SLI Deluxe, nForce 590 SLI, Socket-AM2, DDR2,2xGbLAN,ATX, 2xPCI-Ex16
    I448380.jpg

Here is the rest of my specs:
    • Microsoft XP Pro
    • Western Digital Caviar SE16 250GB SATA2 16MB 7200RPM
    • Western Digital Raptor 74GB SATA 16MB 10000RPM
    • Samsung 19" LCD Syncmaster 940BF TCO-99 700:1, DVI-D, 2ms, 1280x1024
    • Thermaltake Matrix VX Sort, Aluminium, Vindu, Kun 3,8 kg (Uten Strømforsyning)
    • sus M2N32-SLI Deluxe, nForce 590 SLI, Socket-AM2, DDR2,2xGbLAN,ATX, 2xPCI-Ex16
    • AMD Athlon 64 X2 4600+ 2.4GHz Socket AM2 1MB, BOXED m/vifte
    • Crucial DDR2 BallistiX PC6400 1024MB CL4 Kit w/two matched BallistiX 64Megx64
    • XFX GeForce 7900GT 520M Xtreme 256MB GDDR3, PCI-Express, 520/1500Mhz, VIVO
    • Hiper Type-R 580W Sort, 2 Vifter, Silent 18db, 4xSATA, ATX, SLI, 20/24pin
    • Logitech G5 Laser Mouse, USB
    • Hipercomm Aluminium Tastatur med Mulitmedia Hurtigtaster, USB
    • 3Com 11a/b/g Wireless PCI 108 Mbps , WPA2, WMM, Extended Range
    • Logitech Z-4e 2.1 Høyttalere Sort 2 Satelitter og Subwoofer, 40 W RMS
    • Zalman VGA-Kjøler VF900-Cu, Lett Kobberkjøler, 2 Heatpipes

The reason why games is crashing and forcing bluescreens are the integrated sound card. You are told to dl a hotfix before installing the driver on the included cd. The problem is that this hotfix are only on xpx64 and win 2003. If you want it for xp home/pro you need to contact microsoft and have them send it to you (so it says on microsoft.com). The integrated soundmax card even make browsing in local folders a laggy experience on a raptor disk!! Good examples of the scratchy sound on the Soundmax card:
    Lobby (login) in World of Warcraft and the gameplay inside Oblivion.

Solution: Creative SB Audigy SE , Bulk PCI, 7.1 Surround, 24-bit/96KHz, EAX2.0
    I397713.jpg
    NOW EVERYTHING WORKS LIKE A CHARM!! After gettin a new soundcard the unstabilite issue is gone and gameplay is much faster, hope this was any help.

New sound card = No problem
    edited August 2006
    Thanks for the input. raiisak, and welcome to short-media. I have suspected that the onboard sound is crappy, and this helps confirm it. I don't believe the hardware itself is bad, but the driver is a piece of crap, that's the feeling I get.

:)
  • edited September 2006
    i have the same setup

a fx-62
    corsair xms2 ram 2gigs
    xfx 7950 vid card, just 1
    2x caviar 160g HD in raid 0

and lately ive been crashing in games or when i put the pc to work, like anything that requires load i guess.

my cpu temp is according to sisandra 2k7 46c max 53c just sitting on desktop surfing the web or on aim.
    asus probe claims my cpu is 55c and mobo between 49-55 also idle on desktop

i ordered a zalman cooling fan for my cpu hoping it helps the situation.
    but i think ive heard the crackling sounds to, should i move my ram over to be safe?
    edited September 2006
    I'm still having stability issues, but I am almost positive they are driver related. Recently, i've been getting random bluescreens with HIDCLASS.SYS (USB drivers) and also my Netgear wireless card. Netgear has a beta driver out that "fixes blue screen errors in Windows XP" - can't get much more vague than that... I installed the beta driver but I still get random bluescreens, so I don't think it's that. I think perhaps the chipset drivers are problematic, or the BIOS itself is still fairly beta.

I know one thing: I can't WAIT for them to update the BIOS on this board...
  • edited September 2006
    Like every cards this suffers from "new-card-decease" aswell :thumbsdow Meaning, you need to flash the bios to a newer version cause the standar wich it came with has severe issues on handling RAM, specialy PC6400 series.

Another thing to have in mind on the bluescreen crashes during gameplay is youre drivers. Audio, NW, Video ect.ect. Try updating :)
    I had to tryout a couple of audio drivers before I was pleased. Also I recomend you disable the integrated Sound Device.
    Hope this helps a bitt more..

R.
  • edited September 2006
    primesuspect: What OS are you running on? SP2?

Write down the bluescreen msg and paste it here. Does it mention IRQ? Less or higher??
    edited September 2006
    XP SP2, although I even got a bluescreen in Vista pre-RC1 the other day - from what I understand all the vista drivers are made directly by microsoft.

The bluescreens are sometimes IRQL less than or not equal, etc. but sometimes they are just plain STOP errors. Sometimes I just get a hard freeze with no bluescreen at all.

Sometimes, like the last two days, it runs perfectly for 48 hours straight. All the drivers are the latest available from each manufacturer. I haven't installed a single game on this machine yet since I reinstalled it, so I don't get any bluescreens while gaming, just in general usage - web browsing, copying files, etc.. Anything.. They're totally random.

I'm on bios 0603 - the latest available on asus' site right now :-/
  • edited September 2006
    now im more confused. lmao
    My system according to speed fan is at:
    temp1 :50c temp2: 48c temp3: 39c core :42c
    at first i thought it was a heating issue, i used this pc in july had no probs
    till lately only in games it seems or during load,
    Not sure if im over heating or now my onboard sound is messing up =/
  • edited September 2006
    This is probably the fifth forum I have signed up for trying to resolve the M2N-SLI DELUXE BSOD issue. Due to the fact that I don't really want to buy new ram and I really don't know that will solve anything.

When I first built the computer I had a problem that caused the fans to spin the but the computer wouldn't boot but just shut off.
    Not really sure what the problem is except for the fact that I am constantly recieving BSOD. Anytime I do anything system intensive, ripping a dvd, coping files from one hard drive to another, or playing a game and alt-tabing out.

Asus M2N-SLI Deluxe
    Winsor 4200+ AM2
    Gigabyte 7950 GX2
    OCZ gold pc800 2GB Ram
    I had tried to adjust the ram voltage as other people who have similar setups have suggested, I have read that both these problems maybe caused due to incompatibility of ram or the voltage. I had up'ed the voltage to 2.1v as many have said they had success at while there have been many people who have given up on trying. I had also solved the boot problem by eventually upgrading the bios to 0307.

I ran the memtest in bios for 4 hours passed 7 times, but immediately after running it I tried to restart and boot into windows and recieved another blue screen of death, couldn't gather the entire error msg. First part was Stop 0x000000F4.

I restarted tried to copy some files from another hard drive and it gave me a error msg I hadn't seen before or had been around to see before.

Kernel_data_inpage_error
    Stop 0x0000007A (0xC05D30D, 0xC0000185, 0xBA61A0A5, 0x410a8860)
    NTSF.sys - Address BA61A0A5 base at BA5b5000, Date stamp 41107eea
  • edited September 2006
    right now i just disabled all my programs in startup, only things running are my rundll, soundmax, and i supposed my nvidia stuff cause i can run my games.
    i havent crashed since. I also went back to my old monitor that used before all the crashes started happening. So i dont know if i fixed the problem, but i still have 55c desktop temp.
    let ya know what else happens if anything.
  • edited September 2006
    im having problems with my m2n32 motherboard. Well i assume its my motherboard. Everything seems nice and stable after i do a fresh install of windows xp, but about 6-7 days later i have problems with booting windows. The start up screen freezes and it doesnt want to work when i reset. Sometimes if i leave the computer off for 5 minutes after the freeze it will start. it does this every morning after the first freeze, but will restart during the day if i need to restart for any reason.

I have run out of ideas on what to do....any help will be greatly appreciated

m2n32-sli deluxe
    corsair 6400c4 2gb
    wd raptor 74gig
    xfx 7900gt
    seasonic s12 600w
  • edited September 2006
    Well I found the solution (at least for me) at the asus website for the sound!

Here's the link: http://vip.asus.com/forum/view.aspx?id=20060709123239201&board_id=1&model=M2N32-SLI+Deluxe&page=1&SLanguage=en-us

And here's the instructions:

Well, after literally days of grueling battles with the registry and mce2005 audio subsystem I've come to the conclusion that the drivers for the onboard audio on the M2N32-SLI Deluxe don't work properly. In my case, randomly on reboot they will give a "No Audio Device" error in Control Panel that only can be remedied by reinstalling the driver or restarting the device (or disable/enable). But I fixed it, albeit the fix is a bit dirty. SO, here is the workaround!

STEP 1: DOWNLOAD AND DECOMPRESS THE LATEST SOUNDMAX DRIVERS WHICH AREN'T LINKED ON THE ASUS WEBSITE BUT IS ON THEIR FTP SITE FOR SOME ODD REASON!
    32bit XP/2000/Media Center
    ftp://dlsvr03.asus.com/pub/ASUS/misc/audio/ad1988/AD1988_32bit_V51014530.zip

64bit
    ftp://dlsvr03.asus.com/pub/ASUS/misc/audio/ad1988/AD1988_64bit_V51024530.zip

STEP 2: DO NOT INSTALL THEM USING THE SOUNDMAX SETUP PROGRAM! Instead, first remove from add/remove programs and device manager anything with "Soundmax" in it. Then, reboot your machine and when the box comes up looking for drivers, point it to the directory where you uncompressed the above drivers. Let it install, etc.

STEP 3: DOWNLOAD DEVCON.EXE FROM MICROSOFT
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=311272
    Run the self extracting archive, and copy the extracted devcon.exe file from the archive's I386 folder to C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32 (use IA64 folder if you are using 64bit windows)

STEP 4: Make a shortcut in your Start Menu's STARTUP folder which runs the following line:
    C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\DEVCON.EXE RESTART HDAUDIO*
    Call it "Initializing HD Audio" or something cool like that :) This will essentially restart your HD Audio driver after you've logged in, because for some reason the driver dies by the time it gets to that point. Restarting the device fixes it just fine, though.

STEP 5: Make a shortcut to SNDVOL32 on the desktop to get access to the mixer.

With all of this done, now you will be able to use the sound glitch free! Phew.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited September 2006
    Although I don't have that board, thanks for providing a solution. I'm sure a number of readers will make good use of your post.
  • edited September 2006
    That did not fix the crackling issues with my onboard SoundMax chip. In fact, it made it a lot worse. I reinstalled the drivers through the regular setup program, and it went back to the way it was before; where it happens only when I run some files in Guitar Pro, and try to play music while I am ripping a CD/DVD or burning a CD/DVD. I may just end up getting an add-on soundcard.

I really hope it is just the SoundMax, because I would like to be able to do things that Dual Core chips claim they can, such as playing music while running other applications. I was having a lot of stability issues with the M2N32 SLI Deluxe and AMD Athlon X2 3800+ until I installed the Dual Core drivers from AMD and the Hotfix from Microsoft, as well as disabling Cool N' Quiet and AMD Live! in the BIOS. I haven't upgraded to the more recent BIOS yet, but I probably should soon.

I have not found much of a difference in performance from changing mem slots, but that definitely did not affect anything for the worse.

I am also having some framerate issues in Oblivion, my Asus GeForce 7600 GT should be able to handle it with the board and processor combo, as well as 2GB memory, but it only happens when I start to ride around on a horse, or when I go into a busy section of Imperial City, so it may just be that the Asus card can't keep up, I may try overclocking.

Thanks for all the info you guys have posted in this thread already, and I would appreaciate any further help.
  • edited September 2006
    I just got that m2n32 motherboard and i've been having bsod problems, when I try to do anything intensive.

My motherboard was 50 celsius, not under load.
    Im sure it was the MB overheating that was causing the problem, in my case anyway.

I opened up my case and stuck a big desk fan next to it and blew air on to the MB.

No more BSOD.

Those sound drivers installed first time no problem for me.
    edited September 2006
    I opened up my case and stuck a big desk fan next to it and blew air on to the MB. No more BSOD.
    I'll state the obvious, which I'm sure you know: sounds like a cramped case, inadequate fans, or both.
  • edited September 2006
    its neither.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited September 2006
    It's either/or. A fan doesn't spray BSOD-dissolving pixie dust on your motherboard. It cools it down.. That's it. Your cooling stinks, and your fan fixed it.
    edited September 2006
    Olryst, we aren't making fun of you, we're just being blunt. As Thrax wrote, the stability your system achieved by increased ventilation is 95% direct evidence that the the motherboard chips, video card and/or CPU heatsink are starving for cool air to carry off accumulated heat.

Are there any other operational factors you haven't mentioned?
  • edited September 2006
    I diden't think you where.

My previous MB and CPU, which was an ASUS A8N SLI Deluxe and a 64 3700+ 939 (san diego), had low temps while OCed.

I think MB was high 20s and CPU 30 or 40.

The case is spacious, the cables etc are very well tidied and I have two 80mm intake fans and 2 120mm exhaust fans.

Im thinking of getting water cooling to get the temp down.
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited September 2006
    You might want to pop the heasink off of the northbridge and make sure that the factory applied thermal compound. Even if they did, you may as well replace it while you're in there. It sounds like the chipset is overheating independently of the heat in the case.