Asus M2N32-SLI Deluxe stability problems

Comments

• edited January 2007
    That sounds like you have a bad hard drive.

hmm, interesting. Can you elaborate why it would be the HDD vs the controller or MOBO?

Thanks

Toasty
  • TheLostSwedeTheLostSwede Trondheim, Norway Icrontian
    edited January 2007
    The board is (was?) incredibly picky with ram. It actually took two or three bios revisions before half of our ram worked properly and we had constant spd testing. After we consulted Asus, they implemented an option in the -32 board called SKEW. Set it to Advanced 450 on both channels and use +.1 more volts on the ram than specified. Also setting the timings manually to 5-5-5-15 or whatever the ram is specified for, instead of just running auto, helps a great deal. Note that the non -32 board does NOT have the SKEW option. In case you still have ram problems with the non -32 board, i highly suggest you rma the board and purchase another. The -32 board however, is a very good board once you have done the changes i mentioned above.
  • WinfreyWinfrey waddafuh Missouri Icrontian
    edited January 2007
    The board is (was?) incredibly picky with ram. It actually took two or three bios revisions before half of our ram worked properly and we had constant spd testing. After we consulted Asus, they implemented an option in the -32 board called SKEW. Set it to Advanced 450 on both channels and use +.1 more volts on the ram than specified. Also setting the timings manually to 5-5-5-15 or whatever the ram is specified for, instead of just running auto, helps a great deal. Note that the non -32 board does NOT have the SKEW option. In case you still have ram problems with the non -32 board, i highly suggest you rma the board and purchase another. The -32 board however, is a very good board once you have done the changes i mentioned above.

I concur.

Toasty do you have another SATA2 Harddrive that you can test on this Mobo? Also try running chkdisk and any other disk checker that may have come with the drive. Hopefully this narrows things down a little bit
  • edited January 2007
    Yes, I have another drive. Also saw another thread somewhere that said something about IRQ sharing conflicts with 1st 2 SATA 2 ports, I may try to move the drive to the #4 slot.
  • edited January 2007
    I have now have a problem with my Audio!! The sound is crackling in certain games like Oblivion at the start were there is a fight and during Guild Wars it makes a snapping, pinching sound... I have latest drivers but Ive heard the Soundmax drivers for my board were incorrectly programmed and from what I have read leaving the 62Hz and 8KHz bands alone *seem* to stop the popping and clicking...

Does anyone else have this sound issue?
  • edited January 2007
    Warpy wrote:
    I have now have a problem with my Audio!! The sound is crackling in certain games like Oblivion at the start were there is a fight and during Guild Wars it makes a snapping, pinching sound... I have latest drivers but Ive heard the Soundmax drivers for my board were incorrectly programmed and from what I have read leaving the 62Hz and 8KHz bands alone *seem* to stop the popping and clicking...

Does anyone else have this sound issue?

I can answer this one for you (had this problem myself)

go to your soundmax icon in your system tray (right side of start bar -or opposite the start button depending on where you have your start bar)

open that up and go to preferences and on the General Tab there is a checkbox for disable digital output, I checked mine and problem was solved, also may want to look at the DTS tab, both my DTS "buttons" are not selected.

hope that helps..

Toasty
  • edited January 2007
    Toasty wrote:
    I can answer this one for you (had this problem myself)

go to your soundmax icon in your system tray (right side of start bar -or opposite the start button depending on where you have your start bar)

open that up and go to preferences and on the General Tab there is a checkbox for disable digital output, I checked mine and problem was solved, also may want to look at the DTS tab, both my DTS "buttons" are not selected.

hope that helps..

Toasty

Thanks Toasty! I'll try this out, one thing though I cant find the DTS tab?
  • edited January 2007
    should be one tab over from General called "DTS Connect"
  • edited January 2007
    Ok i tried that and it didn't work for my games :( I can't find the DTS tab either:

untitled-2.jpg
  • edited January 2007
    check out your driver rev. I downloaded 5.10.1.4580 from the asus site for soundmax. if you have a earlier rev then this try downloading and installing this rev.

here is what mine looks like:

soundmax_pref_ss.bmp

here is the dts connect tab:

dtsconnect_window.bmp
  • edited January 2007
    Thanks mate, sorry to be a pain, do you a link to that driver download I cant find it. I'm thinking your board may be different to mine.. ASUS M2N SLI Deluxe..
  • danball1976danball1976 Wichita Falls, TX
    edited January 2007
    Warpy wrote:
    Thanks mate, sorry to be a pain, do you a link to that driver download I cant find it. I'm thinking your board may be different to mine.. ASUS M2N SLI Deluxe..

It uses the same audio chip (the ADI 1988B 8-channel High Definition Audio CODEC), so the drivers for the M2N32-SLI should work on the M2N-SLI.

Odd that Asus updates the audio driver for the M2N32-SLI Deluxe and not the M2N-SLI. Here's the driver for it:
    http://dlsvr03.asus.com/pub/ASUS/misc/audio/ad1988/AD1988_32bit_V51014580.zip (Win2K/XP/2003/Vista 32bit)
    http://dlsvr03.asus.com/pub/ASUS/misc/audio/ad1988/AD1988_64bit_V51024580.zip (WinXP/2003/Vista 64bit)
  • edited January 2007
    Thanks very much :) I'm downloading them now. Sux that they haven't updated the driver for my board... I hope this driver works.

EDIT: What chipset drivers do you guys use, the Asus ones on their site or the Nvidia downloadable ones?
  • danball1976danball1976 Wichita Falls, TX
    edited January 2007
    The Asus ones are the nVidia ones. Just go to nVidia's website to get the latest version.
  • edited January 2007
    Ok drivers installed with no problems!! Only thing is I don't have a graphic equalizer anymore!

EDIT: Do you guys have an equalizer?
  • edited January 2007
    Hi,

Had a M2N32-SLI Delux for a while now, had random BSOD problems, most of which seemed to be related to the Audio drivers. I have however now got my audio working fine and generally it doesn't crash.

The problem I have now is boot up. I'm running on the 703 bios, nothing special about my set-up xfx 7300le, 320gb hdd, 2 x 512Mb corsair Value select DDR2's, AMD 3500.

I tend to find when I boot the system the fans drop in speed during boot (you can see it, but not hear it) (which makes me think there isn't enough power for something it does during post).

It usually takes 3-5 attempts to boot from cold. BUT if I do a warm boot its fine (charged capacitors maybe??)

Thinking it was a power problem I went out and got an Antec TruPower 530, problem still existed and to add to my nightmare the Antec blew itself up after about my third boot test.

So I have three questions
    1). Does anyone have a similar problem - drop in fan speed during boot
    2). Does anyone have problems generally while booting (before windows starts loading)
    3). What PSU's are people using (with out problems!)

tia.

Gary
  • edited January 2007
    wuciwug wrote:
    Hi,

Had a M2N32-SLI Delux for a while now, had random BSOD problems, most of which seemed to be related to the Audio drivers. I have however now got my audio working fine and generally it doesn't crash.

The problem I have now is boot up. I'm running on the 703 bios, nothing special about my set-up xfx 7300le, 320gb hdd, 2 x 512Mb corsair Value select DDR2's, AMD 3500.

I tend to find when I boot the system the fans drop in speed during boot (you can see it, but not hear it) (which makes me think there isn't enough power for something it does during post).

It usually takes 3-5 attempts to boot from cold. BUT if I do a warm boot its fine (charged capacitors maybe??)

Thinking it was a power problem I went out and got an Antec TruPower 530, problem still existed and to add to my nightmare the Antec blew itself up after about my third boot test.

So I have three questions
    1). Does anyone have a similar problem - drop in fan speed during boot
    2). Does anyone have problems generally while booting (before windows starts loading)
    3). What PSU's are people using (with out problems!)

Hmm, if your brand new PSU blew up, right away I think short somewhere either on MB or in PSU itself.

I'm using OCZ 850W gamerXtreme PSU no probs whatsoever, but i've only had my system for about 1 month. (note, high Wattage is for GeForce8800gtx)

this system is so quiet, if I turn off my other (noisier) systems I can hear fan speed changes, this is probably due to the fact that I have fan control set in my BIOS settings, so it would stand to reason that the fans will run full speed until BIOS settings load, then they would slow down once the BIOS is loaded.

Toasty
  • edited January 2007
    I have a Hyper R which is 580w, but like Toasty said the 8800GTX munches on power, you can determine if your PSU has enough juice for your system by going here:

http://extreme.outervision.com/psucalculator.jsp
  • edited January 2007
    Toasty wrote:
    Hmm, if your brand new PSU blew up, right away I think short somewhere either on MB or in PSU itself.

I'm using OCZ 850W gamerXtreme PSU no probs whatsoever, but i've only had my system for about 1 month. (note, high Wattage is for GeForce8800gtx)

this system is so quiet, if I turn off my other (noisier) systems I can hear fan speed changes, this is probably due to the fact that I have fan control set in my BIOS settings, so it would stand to reason that the fans will run full speed until BIOS settings load, then they would slow down once the BIOS is loaded.

Toasty

I think the PSU problem was a faulty PSU.

The fan noise is quite hard to spot, happens very shortly before the confirmation beep and its not when the fans slow down (like you would expect with controlled fans) its like a small blip in their operation, afterwards they continue on as before.

ta

G
  • urdurd
    edited January 2007
    Hi there..

how are you all??

I've got this system:
    AMD 4000+ (1MBx2) Windsor
    M2N32SLI Deluxe
    Kingston HyperX 2GB PC6400 4-4-4-12 (rated 1.95V)
    400GB Seagate SATA
    ADDON soundcard

I've faced nearly all the problems stated above and i mean all of em (aside sound ones) and i've more or less stumbled through all of them.. except these ones.. so first of all a bit of background. I got this board with 0206 bios installed.. when i got this board it had given exams for nearly a month and a half and i was a bit agitated to say the least.. and going on a quest for stability wasn't really the thing i was looking for. This wasn't my first build or my first AMD build. I had a previous AMD build on an EVGA, dated from the time when EVGA launched one of their first motherboards (yes the NF41 and NF47, NF4 Ultra and NF4 SLI) and aside some overclocking issues, that board was awesome to say the least. Now so i hooked this thing up with everything installed and it refused to boot.. after nearly 6 hours of work, i updated the bios (7 times.. since it would hang up on me), lowered the ram's speed, installed windows.. then i faced the frequent BSODs.. after that lowered the ram speed more.. updated drivers and voila.. everything fixed.. except:

1: there are some rare restarts.. that occur almost unanimously..
    2: A MAJOR ISSUE WITH LAN.. I don't know what's wrong.. it worked once but it has refused to work.. let me describe this issue.. since it took me 3 reformats and still no avail.. I have an internet connection with cable modem connecting through USB to my PC. I only use Lan Ports to share this connection with my other computer.. now the issue is simple.. the lan won't work.. when i try to share the connection the lan won't receive packets.. at all i mean.. it will send however but won't receive.. on my third reinstall.. i only installed the latest NVIDIAN drivers and the necessary softwares. The Issue still persists over 3 formats. I have disabled IE3934 or something and other NVIDIA Lan from bios but it still doesn't work..

and secondly.. are all of running your memories at 2T Command Rate? i don't know if it's normal or not since my previous build was DDR and it was 1T all the way
  • urdurd
    edited January 2007
    my lan problem solved.. it seems Network Address was assigned to it under device config..
  • edited January 2007
    Hello Everyone,

I have read through the entire thread and have not found a solution for one of my problems.

Before I begin, here is a layout of my System:

Asus M2N32-SLI Deluxe
    AMD X2 5200
    OCZ DDR2 6400 Platinum Revision 2 2GB Kit
    MSI GeForce 8800 GTS
    1 WDC WD1200JD-22HBC0 (120GB)
    2 Seagate 80GB Barracuda 7200 STRIPE
    NEC DVD_RW
    Windows XP

All the latest Drivers from Nvidia have been installedand the latest Audio drivers. The latest Bios (0811) has been flashed. Memory Sticks are in A2B2 slots.

The system works fine when in windows with out any glitches or BSODs.
    The only One problem that is driving me nuts is a really long boot. It takes about 60-65 Seconds from Windows Splash screen to actual Windows to start. It used to take about 20 seconds in my preveous slower sytem. I was just looking to see if anyone has solved this issue.

Thank you all in advance.
  • urdurd
    edited January 2007
    lennyk1313 wrote:
    Hello Everyone,

I have read through the entire thread and have not found a solution for one of my problems.

Before I begin, here is a layout of my System:

Asus M2N32-SLI Deluxe
    AMD X2 5200
    OCZ DDR2 6400 Platinum Revision 2 2GB Kit
    MSI GeForce 8800 GTS
    1 WDC WD1200JD-22HBC0 (120GB)
    2 Seagate 80GB Barracuda 7200 STRIPE
    NEC DVD_RW
    Windows XP

All the latest Drivers from Nvidia have been installedand the latest Audio drivers. The latest Bios (0811) has been flashed. Memory Sticks are in A2B2 slots.

The system works fine when in windows with out any glitches or BSODs.
    The only One problem that is driving me nuts is a really long boot. It takes about 60-65 Seconds from Windows Splash screen to actual Windows to start. It used to take about 20 seconds in my preveous slower sytem. I was just looking to see if anyone has solved this issue.

Thank you all in advance.

hmm.. reinstalling windows would be a logical choice. install only necessary components to control test your boot timing.
  • edited January 2007
    Already did that. Disabled all the components accept for one SATA in Bios and still the same thing. Any more thoughts?
  • urdurd
    edited January 2007
    okay this might be a long shot.. but when your PC reboots, do some HD tests to see if you're hard drive is performing on par with others.. Use HDTach and SIS Sandra for benches.

Secondly, check your Ram and benchmark it as well. In above posts i think a software was mentioned which checks both your sticks of Ram for reliability.
  • edited January 2007
    Already checked the HD and ran some bench mark tests and everything looks on par with its performance (54MB/s), and as far as Memory bench marks they look great. I also ran mem tester and no errors what so ever. Hmmm very interesting, I know.
  • urdurd
    edited January 2007
    there was this problem with my friend's PC that it would always performs a disk check on boot. Check if disk checking on boot is ticked or not..

aside that read following pages:
    http://www.weethet.nl/english/hardware_bootvis.php
    http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1759,1768298,00.asp
    http://www.petri.co.il/make_windows_xp_boot_faster.htm
    http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,1558,1786122,00.asp

Hope it helps

//edit: helpful links fixed by admin. thanks for posting them!
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited January 2007
    Hey guys. This thread has been fantastic. Thanks for all the great info.

I found the very latest (0811) bios on asus' ftp tonight, and I uploaded a copy to our server if anyone wants to grab it.

I also updated the first post of this thread with all the most current info I could gather from the thread. This way when people stumble across it, they can get some help right from the first post rather than wade through over two hundred posts.

Asus M2N32-SLI Deluxe Bios 0811
  • WinfreyWinfrey waddafuh Missouri Icrontian
    edited January 2007
    Hey guys. This thread has been fantastic. Thanks for all the great info.

I found the very latest (0811) bios on asus' ftp tonight, and I uploaded a copy to our server if anyone wants to grab it.

I also updated the first post of this thread with all the most current info I could gather from the thread. This way when people stumble across it, they can get some help right from the first post rather than wade through over two hundred posts.

Asus M2N32-SLI Deluxe Bios 0811

Indeed! A bloody good job by all involved to provide almost "guide-like" qualities so that anyone browsing this forum can hopefully avoid the headaches many of us have/are are experienced/ing.

thanks for the bios link prime:thumbsup:
  • edited January 2007
    CooL! So is there a newer BIOS than the one on the asus website for the m2n sli deluxe?