Asus M2N32-SLI Deluxe stability problems

Comments

• edited September 2006
    Hi all. Just new here.

I have also an Asus M2N32-Sli Deluxe with an FX-62 Proc.

So far no problem in windows. Only problem i have is when i restart my pc the system hangs after the restart. The leds on my Corsair XMS2 TwinX 2048 are locked up. After putting down the power on my system, the post gives me an warning about CMOS ... bla bla bla press F1 to Continue or DEL to go into the Bios and set all Settings again.

I think the problems relieys at my memory. If i set my memory manual at 5-5-5-12 or 4-4-4-12 i get Bsods. When i set Memory to Auto on 5-5-5-18-T2 windows loads fine and everthing is stable.

I know the support to DDR2 on this board gonna be fixed soon by Asus. With this new bios update we also can OC memory and CPU normal, which you cant do with with the old bios and 0603 bios.

I didnt updated my Bios to 0603 yet, because i heard manny stories that by using EZflash or the Asus Update programm under windows wont work 50% of the time. So i want to avoid currupted bioses if they dont give better performance anyway.

Also the new ITE8716F(just give me the old good ITE8712 sensor) sensor is verry verry unstable. Especially the core temps what i get from different monitors tools. At every tool the temperature jumps up and down. In few seconds it moves from 31C to 35C, then back. Sometimes it makes much bigger jumps to 53C and back to 35C.

I dont have the heat problems like most ppl got here. But remember this X2 and FX-62 get hotter then normal 1 single cores. My FX-62 is running idle at 35,2C degrees at a room temperature of 27,2C degrees. Full load i stay under to 39C degrees, even at Prime95. To get this low temps i am using an Cuplex XT from Aqaucomputer. Watercooled that is.

Even with the stock cooler few weeks ago i had an 41C degree idle and 49/53c degree full load temperature. Its also possible that the Heatspreader dont make enough contact with the cores.

Did someone OCed his system here already? I wanna know if its possible with the 0603 bios or i have to wait until the new gets out.

Sorry for the long text :p
  • edited September 2006
    I put Arctic Silver 5 thermal paste on, but there dosen't seem to be much difference temp wise.

Im going to get a water cooling kit for it.
  • edited September 2006
    Does anyone have any solutions for the sound crackling problem? I know other people are having them, as I've read on numerous forums, including Asus'. But, I tried that audio "fix" described at the top of this page again, and no luck. Still makes the problem worse.

I did, however, with a mod, get rid of the lags I experience in Oblivion. They were due to the sound chip lagging when animals or certain NPC's make walking sounds. It's called the Quiet Feet mod. So, I'm starting to think I just need an add-on sound card. Apparently the X-Fi is no good, as the same issue comes up with the M2N32.

But, I would really like to avoid paying more cash, as I'm still quite wiped out from buying a new machine. So, please? Can anyone help with this?
  • edited September 2006
    Does anyone know if the Creative Sound Blaster Audigy SE 7.1 is any good, compared to the M2N32 onboard sound.

Its about £20

I took the cap of the Northbridge and I managed to stick the fan for my old freezer 64 close to it, now my temps are 45 and I have no problems.

I've even OCed it a bit now.
  • edited September 2006
    That sounds like a good alternative to looking for a driver fix. According to product reviews on tigerdirect.ca and ncix.com, people claim that the Audigy SE 7.1 is the best sound card under $100. I will probably end up ordering it.
  • edited September 2006
    :scratch:

I got the M2N32 SLI Deluxe (wireless edition) two days ago after I ordered a "PC Builder" package of Komplett that included an MSI Board, which turned out to be faulty when they installed it, and for some strange reason they replaced it with an Abit K9N SLI which promptly developed the PCIE Voltage spikes that I've seen people complain about in an Abit forum very like this one :-)

Anyway. To cut a long story short, I installed the ASUS board, and XP wouldn't reboot - which I wasn't too worried about as I reckoned it had probably so many drivers it no longer needed installed that it seriously got its knickers in a twist. But when I then tried to reinstall XP the fun and games really started. I was getting many of the messages reported here, including the IRQL_LESS_THAN_OR_NOT_EQUAL message reported by primesuspect in their second comment. Other fun messages were random errors about being unable to copy files as it's installing XP, once I got one telling me the system had NO HARD DISKS or something to that effect, the floppy drive would insist that every floppy you inserted into it was faulty, rakes of mysterious BSODs which made about as much sense to me as Christianity, and messages telling me the BIOS wasn't ACPI compliant.

When I looked at this thread yesterday I really just glanced over it, but I remembered it said something about the manual being wrong about where to stick the memory sticks. So, me getting the wrong end of the stick as I usually do, I actually stuck one stick into slot 1 and one into slot 3, rather than moving them to 3&4 as suggested here. Mad thing is, it worked poifectly after that.

I'm reluctant to take the memory out again. If it doesn't appear to be broke, don't fix it, right? But I'm just worried that it might be a Very Bad Thing to have the memory distributed the way I have. Is it? Or shall I just forget about it.

Sorry for the essay.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited September 2006
    If the computer is working great as is, don't move the memory modules. It won't hurt anything. I remember very well several years ago building Abit KT7's that a couple things in the motherboard were 180 degrees different from what it was supposed to be, I mean, completely backwards. I guess they've still got cousin Chang doing the manual translations and cousin Chu doing the proofreading. Not that there aren't expert Chinese translators available, just that Chinese/Taiwanese electronics firms are often too cheap to hire them.
  • edited September 2006
    Ta muchly :beer:
  • edited September 2006
    Troggle wrote:
    Well, I switched the ram and updated the bios to 0603 and so far (fingers crossed) stability seems to be ok, I haven't tested it much (an hour or so of civ4) and will continue to test for a day or two and see how it goes.

I think it must have been a bad bios or something. I had another wierd problem (discovered before the bios update) with restarting. Basically if windows restarted or i rebooted from bios setup the computer would stay on, but the monitor wouldn't recieve any sgnal. But hopefully it is gone, as it has restarted ok.

Did you have still problems with restarting after you updated to 0603 patch?

Wanna know this, because i have the same problem. The problem relies on the memory what is locking up after an restart. So i am wondering if you still have the same problems after the 0603 patch.

Its almost impossible to OC with the standard bios (below 0603).
  • edited September 2006
    Just a couple of points I noticed in the last couple of days. Although it wasn't bad enough to bother me I did notice the sound was a little bit, er, "ropey" and after reading this thread I switched off the DTS option in the SoundMax Control Panel and yes, it did sound "fuller".

What about the other DTS option though? At the moment my PC isn't connected to a DTS Enabled device, but I do have a DTS enabled amplifier so I could link it to that at some point. Anyone ever noticed deterioration in sound quality after enabling that DTS button?

The other thing is to do with the ASUS WiFi-AP Solo. I was having some trouble with this; it appeared to "time out" after short periods of inactivity after which, even though it happily reports to be connected to your network, it will not resolve any DNS names so you can't access the internet at all. Same thing tended to happen when switching users.

I think I may have resolved that: On the ASUS WiFi-AP Solo config screen there is a tick box for "Windows Zero Config". This was unticked. I ticked it, promptly losing connectivity, but then went to configure it through the Settings on the Wireless Network Connection in my "Network Connections" (winXP), and, fingers crossed, it has been fine since. Switching users, too, caused no problems. Something to consider.:thumbsup:
  • edited September 2006
    I also have a asus m2n32-sli deluxe mobo and my prob is that is so slow not only with startup but also if i want to get in my harddisk.....and when i open 2proggies example: photoshop and frontpag... well then he have to work hard to open that...
    I have a 3800+ dual core at a clockspeed of 2.20 ghz and 1 gb ram..
    I had a p4 2.8 with 1 gb but that one is much faster then my amd mobo... what could be the prob? Cause iam thinking to get my old mobo back...even the notebook of my wife is faster..i've paid lots of money for that but now it isnt worth it...

Any solutions?

Ty in advance

Blood out.
  • edited October 2006
    Hi Guys,

I feel like a sucker that i bought this mainboard, thinking ASUS only produced quality products ;)..

Well, my system config:

Coolermaster Stacker 830
    Asus M2n32-SLI Deluxe, NFORCE 590 SLI MCP
    AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+
    Corsair TWINX2048-6400 CL4 (1GB x 2)
    Asus GeForce 7900GTX 512MB DDR3
    Western Digital Raptor WD740ADFD, 73 GB (10kRPM, SATA 16 MB)
    Western Digital Caviar SE16 320 GB SATA (2x)
    Enermax ELT620AWT Liberty 620 W (ATX12V 2.2)
    Zalman CNPS 9500 AM2 Koper
    Cooler Master - Ultra Silent Fan Series 120 mm (SAF-S12-E1) (2x)
    Creative Inspire 5.1 T6060
    NEC MultiSync LCD20WGX2
    Pioneer DVDRW DVR-111DSV Zilver

I installed this system last night with Windows XP prof and SP2.
    I noticed that in the BIOS my DRAM settings were 5-5-5-18-t2 so i decided to reset them to 4-4-4-12-T2 (as it should be).

I have bios version 0603.

The problems...

I have had several BSOD's..:
    0x000000FC
    0x00000077
    0x00000055

Well, the FC problem (related to windows SP2 DEP (data execution protection)) was fixed easily (solution: http://www.jsifaq.com/SF/Tips/Tip.aspx?id=8841)

The other 2 problems startled me a bit.. The problems i had occured while i was transfering data from my old PC to my new PC, about 300gb of data. All of a sudden i got disk errors.

I have used memtest (all ok) and the western digital diagnostic tools and both say me everything is ok.

I don't think/hope it's a hardware problem but instead a drivers problem.

I hope the following actions will fix my problems:

-Change DRAMM2 modules from A1/B1 to A2/B2
    -Change timings ram module from 4-4-4-12-T2 to 5-5-5-18-T2
    -Reinstall windows.
    -Install bios 0706 (newest bios).
    -Install newest SIL SATA driver: SiL3132_x86_10181
    -Install AD1988_32Bit_v51014530 instead of the standard audio stuff.

Let's see if it helps...

For the rest, WOW what a system :D

Greetings,
    Erik
  • WinfreyWinfrey waddafuh Missouri Icrontian
    edited October 2006
    Hi all Just thought I'd put my two cents in on this problem:

I got my system in August and was having the random restart problems that a lot of you describe. I did switch my RAM over to the other slots and didn't see an end to the BSOD's. I looked at a lot of forums and came up with a few solutions.

1. I reinstalled windows because I thought the Registry was suspect (still had errors just not ones with registry)
    2. Disabled the "allow computer to turn off this device to save power" on both my USB root hubs.
    3. disabled checkflow on my Ethernet adapter
    4. Raised voltages on my ram to 2.1 (suggested for dual Channel).

Here's my specs:
    FX-62
    2gig ddr2 corsair 6400
    asus m2n32-sli deluxe wireless
    EVGA 7950 GX2
    logitech x-530 5.1 speakers

anyways hope this helps some people because after i did this my computer's been purring (and folding!). Not sure about the sound problem. My only struggle is that after restart sometimes my center speaker won't play sound until i unplug/replug the speakers. just a minor issue on the whole but if anyone has a clue as to why that is i'd appreciate it.

Also eric let me know how good that Zalman is at cooling AM2. I'd like to get temps down so as to OC later.
  • edited October 2006
    FreeC8675 wrote:
    Hi all Just thought I'd put my two cents in on this problem:

I got my system in August and was having the random restart problems that a lot of you describe. I did switch my RAM over to the other slots and didn't see an end to the BSOD's. I looked at a lot of forums and came up with a few solutions.

1. I reinstalled windows because I thought the Registry was suspect (still had errors just not ones with registry)
    2. Disabled the "allow computer to turn off this device to save power" on both my USB root hubs.
    3. disabled checkflow on my Ethernet adapter
    4. Raised voltages on my ram to 2.1 (suggested for dual Channel).

Here's my specs:
    FX-62
    2gig ddr2 corsair 6400
    asus m2n32-sli deluxe wireless
    EVGA 7950 GX2
    logitech x-530 5.1 speakers

anyways hope this helps some people because after i did this my computer's been purring (and folding!). Not sure about the sound problem. My only struggle is that after restart sometimes my center speaker won't play sound until i unplug/replug the speakers. just a minor issue on the whole but if anyone has a clue as to why that is i'd appreciate it.

Also eric let me know how good that Zalman is at cooling AM2. I'd like to get temps down so as to OC later.

Hi FreeC,

Nice specs, do u also have problems with the logitech X-530? I read alot of reviews that the audio would be bad due to hickups in the sound.

But ontopic. The zalman is cooling very well! The temperature of my CPU is about 36/38 degrees Celcius (with 2500 rpm) with a MB temperature of about 32 degrees Celcius. And it's very silent :).

About my efforts to stabilize my system. I made the following adjustments:

- Installed Bios 0706
    - Changed DRAMM modules from a1/b1 to a2/b2.
    - Changed Memory voltage from 1.8 to 2.1V.
    - Reinstalled windows XP prof.
    - First installed SP2 and windows updates and then the device drivers.

Being:
    - Newest SiL SATA IDE driver: SiL3132_x86_10181
    - Newest Nvidia graphic driver: 91.47_forceware_winxp2k_international_whql
    - USB2 drivers from CD but directly from CD, not by the asus setup.

Furthermore i did NOT install the onboard audio since it's really bad. I placed an old PCI 5.1 audiocard and now the audio is perfect :).

I have tested my system for 4 days straight, and only 1 i had a BSOD: 0x000000050 (Page Fault In Nonpaged Area) which still probably shows a driver problem since all the hardware seems to be oke.

I will also install new nvidia forceware drivers:
    nForce 590 SLI - Windows XP (32-Bit)

Version: 9.35
    Release Date: June 28, 2006

Then i hope it will all be oke :).

greetings,
    Erik
    edited October 2006
    Not any problems with the speakers, mostly it has been getting problems when i do have a crash, BSOD etc. my speakers won't play sound on all of them until i replug in the speakers which is weird. Also my mouse (Razer Tempest) will not work after a sudden crash, BSOD, etc. unless if I replug that in as well. These problems are in no way serious just annoying. Not sure if this is a problem with the speakers or if it is as you stated the cruddy onboard audio.

btw thx for the compliment this is my college computer that I've been waiting to get since my freshman year in high school. These little hiccups make me sad but then again its better than having to deal with all that retail crap they put on your computer.

I plan on getting the zalman for christmas or something like that. OC'ing an fx-62 is kinda crazy but i would also like the idle temps to be in the lower 30's instead of the lower 40's.
  • heverpheverp London
    edited October 2006
    Hi all,

I have an Asus M2N32-SLI Deluxe and I have been having very frustrating stability problems. Unlike most of the posts here, I don't get a BSOD, no IRQ or other info. Either I get a complete freeze or the system reboots. When a freeze occurs, the screen retains the last display and there is no response from input devices (i.e. no beep upon repeated keyboard mashing with forehead).

There were two hardware problems I had that have since been sorted: 1. The hard drive I used was faulty 2. An Antec 500w psu decided it was happier without me and elected to die.

The most annoying thing is that this is completely random. It can be after a long period of error-free operation or can happen 5-10 mins after startup. I have managed to run one program, Mixmeister, that crashes it every time. It
    attempts to calculate the bpms of a large (40GB) mp3 collection, a CPU intensive operation, but no more intensive than Prime95 which ran for about 24hrs until I stopped it. Memtest also came out clean.

I have been reading this thread and tried moving the memory to slots 3&4 and upping the voltage to 2.1, but that didn't do it. I've heard it said that the thermal paste can sometimes fail to provide enough heat dissipation and
    can need to be replaced. Has anyone experienced this before?

As regards ventilation, the case is a huge 54cm (H) x 20.5cm (W) x 50.7cm (D) with 2 120mm fans (it had 3 but I had to remove the lower chamber one due to the new PSU). The fans have 3 speeds and I've run the system with all 3 on the top setting and still experienced the crash (I even got 2 household desk fans and run them on top speed blowing directly onto the CPU area, but this hasn't solved it). Temps are about 30 degrees CPU, 40 degrees system.

If anyone has any clue as to what might be going on here, I would love to hear any idea no matter how trivial or fantastically complex, even if its a checklist involving stuff I've already done - I'm willing to do anything at this
    stage (yes, even ladies clothes - if there's a valid application), this is driving me mad.

Many thanks for any time or thoughts anyone can spare.

Below is a general and more detailed (from cpu-z) spec of my system.

General Spec:
    Asus M2N32-SLI Deluxe Bios 0706
    AMD 64 4200+
    2x Crucial Ballistix PC6400 1024 (2GB)
    1x PCI-Express Nvidia GeForce 6800XT (Driver 9.1.4.7)
    1x 80GB IDE HD (System)
    3x 320GB Sata (Raid 5)
    1x Tagan 800w PSU
    1x Antec P180 Case

More Detailed:

CPU
    Name AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+
    CPU Clock Speed 2209.9 MHz
    Clock multiplier x 11.0
    HTT Bus Frequency 200.9 MHz
    L1 Data Cache 64 KBytes, 2-way set associative, 64 Bytes line size
    L1 Instruction Cache 64 KBytes, 2-way set associative, 64 Bytes line size
    L2 Cache 512 KBytes, 16-way set associative, 64 Bytes line size
    L2 Speed 2209.9 MHz (Full)
    L2 Location On Chip
    L2 Data Prefetch Logic yes
    L2 Bus Width 128 bits
    BIOS revision ASUS M2N32-SLI DELUXE ACPI BIOS Revision 0706
    BIOS release date 08/21/2006

Memory
    DRAM Type DDR2-SDRAM
    DRAM Size 2048 MBytes
    DRAM Frequency 368.3 MHz
    FSB DRAM CPU/6
    CAS# Latency 4.0 clocks
    RAS# to CAS# 4 clocks
    RAS# Precharge 4 clocks
    Cycle Time (TRAS) 18 clocks
    Bank Cycle Time (TRC) 25 clocks
    Command Rate 2T
    # of memory modules 2
    Module 0 Crucial Technology DDR2 PC6400 - 1024 MBytes
    Module 1 Crucial Technology DDR2 PC6400 - 1024 MBytes

SATA RAID
    320GB Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 SATA2
    300MB/s SATA 2
    7,200RPM - 16MB Cache
    edited October 2006
    Make sure you have "automatically shutdown" disabled in your startup and recovery settings. (you can find that by right clicking on my computer and selecting properties and then going to advanced tab and then clicking settings.) If this is selected it may restart without actually showing you a BSOD.

Also make sure you've got the latest BIOS and drivers as well as playing around with voltages on your RAM. Mine works fine after I upped it from 1.9 to 2.1.
  • heverpheverp London
    edited October 2006
    Ok cool, will try that, thanks.

Is the Cycle Time (TRAS) supposed to be 12 instead instead of 18 (ie is the memory config supposed be 4-4-4-12-2T)? I don't know anything about these settings.

Thanks again.
  • edited October 2006
    Asus m2n32 sli deluxe OverClocked NOS 10%
    Athlon X2 4200
    2 GB Infineon 533 4-4-4-12
    Sapphire x1900gt
    Creative Audigy SE
    Maxtor 6v160e0
    LG H20L
    LG 8164b

Hi guys, I have been having some problems with asus m2n32 sli deluxe, so if you are having too, follow, these steps (good for me):

1. Flash the bios with last revision using awardflash (now is 0706)
    2. Clear the cmos, following the steps in the manual (always after flashing)
    3. Take a look at the mainboard (around the cpu) to see if there is some thermal paste on it. I was having short circuits because of it (artic silver 5)
    4. Buy, if possible, a sound card like audigy se
    5. Don´t switch two usb devices to the same usb port (I was having blue screens with usbport.sys error because of that)
    6. Start the system and erase the disk partitions
    7. Make new partitions and format them, and then install the os (vista, xp, xp64...)
    8. Install all the programs you use
    9. Pray, jajajajajajaja (laugh).
  • edited October 2006
    Asus m2n32 sli deluxe OverClocked NOS 10%
    Athlon X2 4200
    2 GB Infineon 533 4-4-4-12
    Sapphire x1900gt
    Creative Audigy SE
    Maxtor 6v160e0
    LG H20L
    LG 8164b

Hi guys, I have been having some problems with asus m2n32 sli deluxe, so if you are having too, follow, these steps (good for me):

1. Flash the bios with last revision using awardflash (now is 0706)
    2. Clear the cmos, following the steps in the manual (always after flashing)
    3. Take a look at the mainboard (around the cpu) to see if there is some thermal paste on it. I was having short circuits because of it (artic silver 5)
    4. Buy, if possible, a sound card like audigy se
    5. Don´t switch two usb devices to the same usb port (I was having blue screens with usbport.sys error because of that)
    6. Start the system and erase the disk partitions
    7. Make new partitions and format them, and then install the os (vista, xp, xp64...)
    8. Install all the programs you use
    9. Pray, jajajajajajaja (laugh).
    10. About the memory installation, I must say that I have installed it in a1 b1 and a2 b2 with no problem, so do like you prefer (I forgot this point)
  • edited October 2006
    I have forgotten another thing, too. If possible, buy Zalman cnps9500 am2, the best air heatsink for this platform. The case is important too, my mobo is installed in a Aerocool Baydream, atx&btx, it is upside down, so I have a good airflow. The psu is also important, I have a Tacens 0 db that doesn´t get very hot.
    The last thing I think I must comment is about the bios setup program. In advanced pcipnp put plug&play to yes, it will permit the os to expand irqs in a better way (this will avoid blue screens with irq less or not equal)
    edited October 2006
    heverp wrote:
    Ok cool, will try that, thanks.

Is the Cycle Time (TRAS) supposed to be 12 instead instead of 18 (ie is the memory config supposed be 4-4-4-12-2T)? I don't know anything about these settings.

Thanks again.

That depends on your RAM. Mine is 12 instead of 18 but my RAM is Corsair which differs from Crucial's RAM.
  • heverpheverp London
    edited October 2006
    The bios auto-set mine at 18, but I don't know if it's supposed to be at that setting.

I don't want to jinx it, but I have been running a program that usually crashes out the system in a couple of minutes for over an hour now.

I changed two things in the bios:
    1. Reduced the cycle time to 12
    2. Enabled plug n' play OS

I don't know which one of these beauties did it, but it looks like its holding - see, I'm still typing!!!

I will keep it running and update on whether the change is permanent.
    edited October 2006
    That's great news! This Mobo has its issues but it does very well after you get past those problems. Definitely should be classified as not for beginners.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited October 2006
    That's great news! This Mobo has its issues but it does very well after you get past those problems.
    The motherboard may indeed perform very well after the issues are sorted out, but there shouldn't be such difficult issues. With the state of CPU and chipset technology today, there is no reason why an expensive, supposed high performance board should have these problems. Asus is capable of getting things right the first try, but for some reason shipped a board that wasn't ready to release.

ASUS has a reputation for solid, quality motherboards for both Intel and AMD systems. The M2N32-SLI Deluxe is a deserved black eye for them. They dropped the ball on this one. There is no reason why a high performance board should not work correctly right out of the box, unless the board is pushed past its intended performance envelope. This hearkens back to the immature VIA chipset days that plagued AMD and severely damaged their reputation. But Asus doesn't have that excuse. They are not dependent on sub-par parts. The technology and hardware available to motherboard manufacturers today is so much better than a few years ago.
    edited October 2006
    Leonardo wrote:
    The motherboard may indeed perform very well after the issues are sorted out, but there shouldn't be such difficult issues. With the state of CPU and chipset technology today, there is no reason why an expensive, supposed high performance board should have these problems. Asus is capable of getting things right the first try, but for some reason shipped a board that wasn't ready to release.

ASUS has a reputation for solid, quality motherboards for both Intel and AMD systems. The M2N32-SLI Deluxe is a deserved black eye for them. They dropped the ball on this one. There is no reason why a high performance board should not work correctly right out of the box, unless the board is pushed past its intended performance envelope. This hearkens back to the immature VIA chipset days that plagued AMD and severely damaged their reputation. But Asus doesn't have that excuse. They are not dependent on sub-par parts. The technology and hardware available to motherboard manufacturers today is so much better than a few years ago.

You've got a point and I will agree that issues experienced are in many cases unacceptable. However Once you do get past these issues as I stated the board performs very well.

One thing I do want to know is if the board works with all DIMM slots populated. (This would Cripple this boards upgradablity and cause me to buy a different possibly from a different company).
  • heverpheverp London
    edited October 2006
    Maybe I did jinx it...

I'm back to the same problem. Dammit, it was all going so well and I thought, hey, it is worth it, it pissed me off, but its all good and runs like race car. I know what you mean about it being a good performance board FreeC8675, but I vehemently agree with Leonardo; this is just unacceptable.

However, let me describe where I am now. The system is relatively stable, even under that stress program I ran. I get up time of about 2hrs and then the race car smashes into a wall and dies. After that initial crash, it can subsequently crash after 2mins - 1 hr after reboot.

This would lead me (in my infinite stupidity) to believe that maybe its a cooling issue with the CPU. However, after the cycle time change the system took a major step forward so I'm inclined to think that it's memory related. The bios auto-set my timing incorrectly so it's not crazy to figure that it may have set other settings incorrectly in there. In any event, I will run the desk fans into the system again to see if they have an effect.

One final point, I have reverted back to a1/b1 memory slots as the others had no discernible effect.

Thanks for the posts guys, nice to know I'm not alone :D. Again, any ideas will be greatly appreciated.
  • heverpheverp London
    edited October 2006
    Just a thought guys, I wonder would the odd multiplier issue come into play here:

http://vip.asus.com/forum/view.aspx?id=20060705120101342&board_id=1&model=M2N32-SLI+Deluxe&page=1&SLanguage=en-us
  • edited November 2006
    phoenixam wrote:
    When I first built the computer I had a problem that caused the fans to spin the but the computer wouldn't boot but just shut off.

hi new to this forum.

i'm having the same problem, can you tell me how did you fixed it.

i just rebuild this system, i have now;
    koolance water cooler tower
    m2n32-sli deluxe
    AMD 64 4600+
    1x Ultra ddr2 1024 pc2-4200. but will return it. just ordered, OCZ Dual Channel XTC 2048MB PC5400 DDR2 667MHz Gamer Memory (2 x 1024MB)
    500w psu
    xfx 7800gt
    2x 36g raptor 10,000rpm sata
    1x 200g wd

i had;
    asus sk8v
    AMD 64 FX51
    bfg 6800gt
    corsair twinx 1024RE 3200LL
    430w psu
    the rest was the same

i have spend way too much on this system and had nothing but problem with this setup, now spend more money by rebuilding the owl thing and now more problem.

can some one please help me with this.

thanks in advence...
    edited November 2006
    GHoosdum wrote:
    I have a feeling it's the RAM. Marcus said that the AM2 Asus boards were having issues with any RAM that didn't use Micron chips. In our case, however, simply switching which RAM slots were populated and bumping the memory voltage up to 2 seemed to do the trick. BIOS updates are helpful as well.

Not sure why your computer is having trouble booting but this is a good guideline for making sure your system is set up correctly.