New Computer.. these parts look good?

Comments

• edited May 2006
    honestly, i do not know. If i go to college, then i will want it for college, whih is a few years from now ( entering junior year in september)

and after looking at the dells, the est pricing i could find was--

http://configure.us.dell.com/dellstore/config.aspx?c=us&cs=04&kc=6W300&l=en&oc=2d31h4&s=bsd

CPU- Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor 640 w/HT Technology (3.2GHz,800FSB)
    RAM -1GB Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 533MHz -2DIMMs
    HD- 250GB Serial ATA Hard Drive (7200RPM)
    cd drive -Dual Drives: 48x CD-RW/ DVD Combo Drive + 48x CD-ROM Drive
    Monitor-17 inch E176FP Analog Flat Panel

feedback..?
  • airbornflghtairbornflght Houston, TX Icrontian
    edited May 2006
    I have a sneaking suspicion that that was direct to me, even though I didnt see it, if this guy really want to build a pc, then thats cool, we can work with it, but if he just wants a computer that he can plug in and be on his way, then we can do that too. As far as prebuilts, I like to recomend dell and acer, acer prebuilts have to be the stoutest and most reliable oem computers Ive worked on. I have rarely seen something go wrong in them.

but shorty, no offense, but you cant be riding the fence on this one. You either have to be on one side or the other. Do you really want to build your own computer even if its just for the experience, learn some basic stuff, and be able to have the conversation piece, but possibly have to deal with doa hardware, glitches, and go through troubleshooting, or would you rather purchase a computer, open the box, and plug it in? If you do want to build it, we are here for support, their is only so much we can do over the internet, bet we do as much as we can.

If you want to go ahead and build the computer and get some killer performance, then lets do it. I like seeing builds come together. We have at least 3 or 4 sets of hardware depending on where you want to put your budget at. There are pretty much 3 places you can put it, in the mobo, in the cpu, or in the video, you already said that you didnt care too much about games, and I'm guessing that since you are a greenhorn that you just need a no frills mobo with some basic overclocking options if you want to mess around a little bit. I think that most of your budget should go into the processor. I will try and put you a system together like that, because I will think you will be the happiest with that. No sense in getting you a nice mobo/video card if you wont use them.

So what would you rather do? Prebuilt or Custombuilt. I'm sure you will make the right decision.:vimp:
  • edited May 2006
    thats the thigng i was leaning towers custom built thinkig it would be far more cheaper.. but what do u think about those dell specs? possible to get he same specs for a cheaper price?
    edited May 2006
    well, like everything their are pros and cons.

with the prebuilt, you may get away a tad bit cheaper, but with the componet quality is going to be greatly reduced. If you build it yourself, it will likely be quite a bit quicker than the dell counterpart along with high grade componets.
  • V-PV-P State College, PA Member
    edited May 2006
    honestly, i do not know. If i go to college, then i will want it for college, whih is a few years from now ( entering junior year in september)

and after looking at the dells, the est pricing i could find was--

http://configure.us.dell.com/dellstore/config.aspx?c=us&cs=04&kc=6W300&l=en&oc=2d31h4&s=bsd

feedback..?

Well, If you're planning to keep it for about 6 years, or so it seems, then I'd say build your own, and throw in a few more bucks. Spend about $1000 - $1200, and you should be good for that long other than minor vid card upgrades which are only optional, if you decide to start gaming.
  • edited May 2006
    BASE SYSTEM OPTIONS
    Processor
    Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor 640 w/HT Technology (3.2GHz,800FSB) edit
    Operating System
    Genuine Windows® XP Home Edition edit
    Operating System Re-Installation CD
    PC Restore recovery system by Symantec edit
    Memory
    1GB Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 533MHz -2DIMMs edit
    Great Deals on Dell Printers
    None edit
    STORAGE AND DRIVES
    Internal Hard Drives
    250GB Serial ATA Hard Drive (7200RPM) edit
    External One Touch Hard Drive
    None edit
    CD or DVD Drives -- Read, Write and Store Data
    Dual Drives: 48x CD-RW/ DVD Combo Drive + 48x CD-ROM Drive edit
    Card Readers, Storage and Blank Media
    None edit
    Enhanced Software for CD or DVD Burner
    None edit
    Floppy Drive and Media Reader
    No Floppy Drive Included edit
    Memory Keys
    None edit
    MONITORS AND MULTI-MEDIA
    Monitor
    17 inch E176FP Analog Flat Panel edit
    Video Card
    Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator 900 edit
    Sound
    Integrated 2.0 Channel High Definition Audio edit
    Speakers
    No speakers (Speakers are required to hear audio from your system) edit
    NETWORKING AND INTERNET OPTIONS
    Network Interface
    Integrated 10/100 Ethernet edit
    Wireless Networking Solution
    None edit
    Wireless Routers
    None edit
    Internet Access Service
    6 Months of America Online Membership Included edit
    Modem
    No Modem Requested edit
    OTHER OPTIONS
    Mail-In Rebate
    None edit
    Keyboard
    Dell USB Keyboard edit
    Mouse
    Dell® 2-button USB mouse edit
    TV Tuner and Remote Controls
    None edit
    Digitial Music
    Musicmatch by Yahoo! Music - Basic music software edit
    Purchase Intent
    Purchase is not intended for resale. edit
    Digital Photography
    Corel Photo Album™ 6 Starter Edition - Organize and Edit your photos

All for $649(sry bit hard to read, but if it says "none" after it, it means i am not getting it)
    edited May 2006
    Ok, all done. I put $300 in the processor of that puppy. I got you a A64 3800+ X2. That is a dual core processor that will haul balls. It comes stock at 2Ghz, but I'm sure that you could get it up to 2.4 easily on air. Then it would really be hauling. Not to mention that its dual core, so you can game on one core, and do a virus scan, or backup a dvd on another, and you will never know the difference. ok, enough hype up, here is the bill of materials.

• Mobo -- Asus A8N5X; Simple yet dependable ($78.99)
    • CPU -- AMD 3800+ X2; Need I say anymore? ($297.00)
    • Memory -- Corsair XMS 1GB Dual Channel Kit; Not the fastest, but it's what you need. ($103.00)
    • Video -- XFX 6800XT, I have the GT, it is a sweet card, more than you need, its a beast. ($97.99)
    • PSU -- Enermax 420watt PSU; its a nice psu with a nice Instant Rebate. ($64.99)
    • HDD -- 250GB Seagate Baracuda; Nice sized disk. ($84.99)
    • Optical -- NEC ND-3550; I have the one before this one, rock solid drive. ($35.99)

This all comes out to $762.95 before shipping, it may cost a little more, but I think that you will be a lot happier with it. And if you need to save a little cash, we could always scale back to a top of the line single core, but I highly recomend staying dual core.
  • edited May 2006
    i like it.. but i still need a monitor and such.. and whats the feedback about that dell i posted? waste of $?? or what?
    edited May 2006
    I thought you had a monitor....hmm...is the monitor supposed to be in the $700-$800 or not? if it is, then yeh, we may have to refigure some of the stuff. I personally wouldnt buy a computer with a p4 in them, they are on their way out. They are being replaced by the pentium d and soon conroe is due out.
    edited May 2006
    What I would do, if you really want a new monitor, is buy the computer, then save up some money, and give yourself a present, I guess im forgetting to ask how old you are? but yeh, I would get the computer, then get the monitor, because you obviously have a monitor that you are using right now. Hell, I am saving up for a nice 20.1 inch widescreen right now. I'm hoping that I will see one pop up in the deal depot.
  • edited May 2006
    but yes that includes a 17 flat screen monitor
    and its not a fast cpu? will my apps be open in like 1 second? or should i jsut change the processor?
    otger then that.. cheap for the specs? what do u ppl tihnk?
    edited May 2006
    Like I said, it will be made of lesser quality componets, and [strike]if[/strike] when your componets die, you better hope they are under warranty. Dont let a monitor be the buying decision in getting a computer, thats almost like buying a beater car becaues it has a bangin stereo system.

That processor will have no where near the performance of what we have given you. But like I said, do you want a prebuilt and save a little money, and take a big hit in performace, or do you wanna drop a little more coin, build it yourself, and have a lot better peforming computer?
  • edited May 2006
    Like I said, it will be made of lesser quality componets, and [strike]if[/strike] when your componets die, you better hope they are under warranty. Dont let a monitor be the buying decision in getting a computer, thats almost like buying a beater car becaues it has a bangin stereo system.

That processor will have no where near the performance of what we have given you. But like I said, do you want a prebuilt and save a little money, and take a big hit in performace, or do you wanna drop a little more coin, build it yourself, and have a lot better peforming computer?

altogether i want the pc to be 750$ ish b/c im being hcarged 100 for it to be built (is that too mcuh btw (100$))
    edited May 2006
    $100!!!:hrm: , I only charge $25...am I cheap or something??? shoot, I do it free for my friends, maybe I should charge my friends $25 and everyone else $100. Not that I get a whole lot of business anyway. Enid is sort of an isolated area.

And if you are willing to take a leap with us, we can guide you through the build up, infact, we have a couple of guides on here how to assemble a computer, and there are hundreds on the internet. Then you could save youself some serious coin and get the monitor too, I promise it isnt as hard as it looks.
  • edited May 2006
    $100!!!, I only charge $25...am I cheap or something??? shoot, I do it free for my friends, maybe I should charge my friends $25 and everyone else $100. Not that I get a whole lot of business anyway. Enid is sort of an isolated area.
    haha allright then.. ill get it cheaper..

and btw the computer u put in, i still need a case, monitor, and keyboard, sound. Everything since i reliease my paretns are jsut gonna tkae the bad one into their room . And im 15, and yea i need a complete pc for around 750-800
    there we go.. i thnk tharts the correct number
    and good luck to whomever wants to try to do that
    edited May 2006
    altogether i want the pc to be 750$ ish b/c im being hcarged 100 for it to be built (is that too mcuh btw (100$))
    Hey shorty, I just did my first build in January (infact it was my birthday the 25th ;) ). Here's a few links to some articles. Read them through, and you'll save $100. BTW if Shrief is chargin you that much, I would REALLY think about it, because at that rate, you should be getting proffesional help. Hell, at that rate you should be getting Gordon Moore to come and build that thing. Here's the links. READ THEM!! :)

http://www.pcmech.com/byopc/

http://www.hardwarecentral.com/hardwarecentral/reports/article.php/3580681

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1895,1921010,00.asp

They're a bit out of date, but the concept is the same. SOme parts, like the Math CoProcesser mentioned in there are now included inside the chips you buy, wether that'd be iNtel or AMD.

http://newegg.com

Ofcourse.

Read them through, ask around here.

http://short-media.com/forum/showthread.php?t=41508

http://short-media.com/forum/showthread.php?t=41753

http://short-media.com/forum/showthread.php?t=41672

http://short-media.com/forum/showthread.php?t=42430

http://short-media.com/forum/showthread.php?t=41671
    edited May 2006
    ahh man, i though you said you had that stuff. crap....well, I guess your gonna have to kiss that dual core goodbye. at this point, with as much stuff as you need, Im going to recomend you go to newegg and get an acer. With your budget, you really cant afford to do anything right now, my computers hobby is almost as expensive as my paintball. you would need $1000-$1200 to get the computer/monitor/case/kbd,mouse. $1000 would do it, but the $1200 would provide some cushion.
  • edited May 2006
    yea, sry... thought i did but then turns it i need it all... so is that Dell looking like a good buy at the moment for what im getting with it?

Video Card-Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator 900
    Sound-Integrated 2.0 Channel High Definition Audio
    stand dell keyboard and mouse
    edited May 2006
    ahh man, i though you said you had that stuff. crap....well, I guess your gonna have to kiss that dual core goodbye. at this point, with as much stuff as you need, Im going to recomend you go to newegg and get an acer. With your budget, you really cant afford to do anything right now, my computers hobby is almost as expensive as my paintball. you would need $1000-$1200 to get the computer/monitor/case/kbd,mouse. $1000 would do it, but the $1200 would provide some cushion.

Like 10 posts earlier:
    SCAR wrote:
    Well, If you're planning to keep it for about 6 years, or so it seems, then I'd say build your own, and throw in a few more bucks. Spend about $1000 - $1200, and you should be good for that long other than minor vid card upgrades which are only optional, if you decide to start gaming.

Airborn, Airborn, Airborn.... :tongue:
    When I said that to myself, I almost said Airborne Bacteria. Wonder why... :p
    edited May 2006
    yea, sry... thought i did but then turns it i need it all... so is that Dell looking like a good buy at the moment for what im getting with it?

Video Card-Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator 900
    Sound-Integrated 2.0 Channel High Definition Audio
    stand dell keyboard and mouse
    Before deciding on a prebuilt, read my above post and go through all the links. Don't post for the next 10 minutes!! ;)
  • edited May 2006
    haha iim sry but i cant do it all now.. but can someone please tell em qucikly.. is that theier the dell a good buy?

sorry but i have to go for the night, im in the middle of writing a paper on the armenian genocide.. night
    edited May 2006
    Your still in school???ahhh!!, anyway, yeh, for what it is, it is a good deal. Just make sure you get an extended waranty with it, you may or may not be thanking me later, but its better to have had it than not, especially if something goes out that completly fubars the system, like a psu, dell uses proprietery sized psu's so if your stuck buying a psu from them, you will get ripped.
  • edited May 2006
    Your still in school???ahhh!!, anyway, yeh, for what it is, it is a good deal. Just make sure you get an extended waranty with it, you may or may not be thanking me later, but its better to have had it than not, especially if something goes out that completly fubars the system, like a psu, dell uses proprietery sized psu's so if your stuck buying a psu from them, you will get ripped.

haha yea still in school.. out june 19!!:rockon: :woowoo:
    but ok souinds good... is one year warranty seem fine? ive had my dell dimensions 2400, and 4300 working fine, needing no support.. and the 2400 is about 3 years old, and the 4300.. abou 6.. both still working..
    edited May 2006
    haha yea still in school.. out june 19!!:rockon: :woowoo:
    but ok souinds good... is one year warranty seem fine? ive had my dell dimensions 2400, and 4300 working fine, needing no support.. and the 2400 is about 3 years old, and the 4300.. abou 6.. both still working..
    Quick make the switch before Dell sucks you into it's blackhole of overpriced inferior products from hell!:rarr:
  • edited May 2006
    Shorty
    And im 15, and yea i need a complete pc for around 750-800

airbornflght
    Your still in school???ahhh!!,

Lol I just have to pick on that ... most kids in the US at age of 15 are still in school lol ..... anyway

Shorty just informed me that he has an $800-ish limit for THE WHOLE THING :doh: ... (I saw that he posted it here also :P:Rocker: )

This includes Monitor, PC, Speakers, Keyboard, and Mouse.... now I am not a God or anything but that is just crazy to say 800 for these specs that we gave you ... a monitor alone is like $80-ish for a crappy one at that...

so we will need to do the AMD thing for money purposes other wise I would be 95% against it ... I leave that 5% cuz I am open minded hahaha....:thumbsup:
    edited May 2006
    well, i was just surprised that he was in school so late, here in oklahoma, we normally are out by may 16th, if not earlier, we were let out the 25th this year. but this year we got a late start. Really though, that is just left over from the harvest, they would let the kids out of school to help with harvest, which I used to do up until a few years ago, there isnt any money left in farming, unless you own a big commercial farm with 10,000+ acres.
    edited May 2006
    Actually, you could probably do the $800 thing on intel easier as far as getting a biger processor, because of the cheap intel dualcores. you can do it on either platform. although, yeh, Im still gonna say scrape up an extra $200-$400 and you will be much happier, but if you cant, then okay, we can try and work with it, just dont expect a blazing fast computer.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited May 2006
    mtgoat wrote:
    SCAR and Thrax
    Why are you guys trying to push an enthusiasts board with a mind boggleing amout of BIO settings for this guy as opposed to the stable straight forward board I am recomending. Your choices of vid card are more than what he has use for.

Thrax
    The 3800 is way overbloated price/speed over the 3200 and 3500 CPU's. For $10.00 more he could get an X2 3800.

Why? Because if you buy something in the now, as your selections indicate, he's more likely to run out of steam earlier than he would with a more advanced system. Additionally, he's showing an interest in computers, which means he might like to try his hand at performance tweaking or overclocking one of these days. Lastly, DFI is an easy, no-nonsense board that runs very quickly at stock speeds, is plug'n'play all-round, but has the capacity to be so much more if he wants it.

What I'm picking out may be overestimated for the present, but what about in 24 months? Wouldn't you be glad you shelled out a little more for additional future-proofing? I would.
  • Mt_GoatMt_Goat Head Cheezy Knob Pflugerville (north of Austin) Icrontian
    edited May 2006
    Thrax wrote:
    Why? Because if you buy something in the now, as your selections indicate, he's more likely to run out of steam earlier than he would with a more advanced system. Additionally, he's showing an interest in computers, which means he might like to try his hand at performance tweaking or overclocking one of these days. Lastly, DFI is an easy, no-nonsense board that runs very quickly at stock speeds, is plug'n'play all-round, but has the capacity to be so much more if he wants it.

What I'm picking out may be overestimated for the present, but what about in 24 months? Wouldn't you be glad you shelled out a little more for additional future-proofing? I would.
    My point was mainly the DFI board. I own 3 of them in 2 flavors. I have also helped several noobs that got them and it was sheer hell helping them set up the BIOS as it is complicated. These boards are alsovery finicky till you get them dialed in (more expert knowledge needed) and some more experienced users have had their share of troubles too. The Asus board I selected is almost as overclockable, very stable, reliable and a breeze to set-up.
  • Mt_GoatMt_Goat Head Cheezy Knob Pflugerville (north of Austin) Icrontian
    edited May 2006
    I also realized that you guys are forgetting that he also needs an operating system. That is going to cut into things by approximately $90.00 for XP Home. I am out of time as I need to get to work.

I just recalled a system I did for someone else and all you need to do is add the OS, find a different HD and vid card and it will come to $900.00 or less with everything including OS, monitor and case/PSU.

http://www.short-media.com/forum/showthread.php?t=43873