New Computer.. these parts look good?

edited June 2006 in Hardware
I need to get a new computer, but i have a friend who said he can build it instead of waisting money buying another from dell. I searched around for cheap prices.. do these parts seem to be compadable and worth it? any suggestions??(and also help with finding other parts) thank you

Case: http://www.xoxide.com/x-treme-case-silver.html

RAM: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820141429&ATT=20-141-429&CMP=OTC-B1zrat3

Hard Drive: http://www.compuplus.com/i-WD-250-GB-WD2500JB-7200-RPM-8MB-Buffer-ATA-100-Hard-Drive-325~refer-bizrate.html

Mother Board: ????

Comments

• V-PV-P State College, PA Member
    edited May 2006
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16811156179

They have some very nice cases on Newegg too. The one above is the one I got. It's pretty strong.
  • edited May 2006
    about your future motherboard, it's one of the main part in your computer! and that why you should buy quite an expensive one, for example something from ASUS Deluxe series, you won't be disappointed.
  • Mt_GoatMt_Goat Head Cheezy Knob Pflugerville (north of Austin) Icrontian
    edited May 2006
    Case looks good. Just be sure to put a quality PSU in it.

RAM; I think you can find better memory than that Kingston.

Harddrive; Why stick with IDE when SATA with its nice thin cables is the future?

As for the rest, what is your budget???
  • edited May 2006
    budget, around 750 give or take, but i want a 3.2 ghz processor, 1 gb ram, and atleast 250 gb hard drive.. thank you if someone could find, and i found a case for 30 $ my frieind is selling to me(the freinds building it)
    edited May 2006
    but i want a 3.2 ghz processor
    does that mean you only want Intel or will an equivilent AMD be OK?
  • edited May 2006
    mtgoat wrote:
    does that mean you only want Intel or will an equivilent AMD be OK?

intel, ive jsut heard that amd can over heat easier, and is not as relieable.
    edited May 2006
    intel, ive jsut heard that amd can over heat easier, and is not as relieable.
    To set the record straight, they are both very reliable. Both AMD and Intel CPU's will last you a long time without worries. As for the heat issue, that is a totally different story but not out of control. Intel is the heat king! As far as being the one that is easier to overheat. This is a very well know fact and I don't know where your source got their info. I will be back on here in a couple of hours with a system from both for comparison.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited May 2006
    ive jsut heard that amd can over heat easier, and is not as relieable
    Whoever told you that is four or five years behind in technology knowledge (a century in tech time). I'm glad that you've found Short-Media. We don't always have the right answer right away, but we'll get there without too much delay! :cool:
  • airbornflghtairbornflght Houston, TX Icrontian
    edited May 2006
    As much as I dislike intel processors, their dual core processors are a huge bargain right now, and I would have to say to go with the intel rig for your purposes. Right now amd is just getting a little big for its britches (in my mind) for as much as their processors are going for, but then again, supply and demand...
    edited May 2006
    well, i dont know about everyone else thinks, but in my opinion, i dont really trust western digital except for their raptor drives. The ram is only 1gb, for video editing its really better to have more ram, and absolutely never EVER buy cheap ram, you will regret it very quickly.
  • edited May 2006
    oh alright then. My frieind said western digital 100%, so i am no so sure, and im sure anything will be an upgrade what what i have now!! 384 RAm, 1.66 GHz processor, 25 gb hard drive
    !!
    edited May 2006
    about the hard drive, what is so bad about this one..http://www.compuplus.com/i-WD-250-GB-WD2500JB-7200-RPM-8MB-Buffer-ATA-100-Hard-Drive-325~.html?sid=iip19q941lensjp

cheap and a lot of room, but im not that informed about hard drivs, so what is the difference? and is it worth it?

along with this change for RAM..
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820141429&ATT=20-141-429&CMP=OTC-B1zrat3

but thank you so much for the recomendations!!! if anyne can find the same stuff(memory , processor, ) with same specs, please tell me!! im pretty short on money.
    -nate

Why are you going with ATA-100 when SATAII is the same price. I have a WD 250 GB SATAII 7500 RPM 8MB from newegg, and it was $88 shipped I think.
  • edited May 2006
    SCAR wrote:
    Why are you going with ATA-100 when SATAII is the same price. I have a WD 250 GB SATAII 7500 RPM 8MB from newegg, and it was $88 shipped I think.

well since im not 100% sure on what that means, speed wise, so far, what is the best hard drive with at least 250 gb's??(provide the website if possible)
    thank you so much ppl, -nate
    edited May 2006
    well since im not 100% sure on what that means, speed wise, so far, what is the best hard drive with at least 250 gb's??(provide the website if possible)
    thank you so much ppl, -nate
    Well first of all, check out some tutorials on how to build your own PC, like the one here at SM, or Google for more. SATA is a new type of HDD, it has a much thinner cable, which I gotta say is SOOO Much easier to work with inside your case. It is also much faster. Here's a link to a comparison chart of all the drives you may be interested in. If you need help choosing, just ask. :thumbsup: Good Luck!
  • edited May 2006
    excellent, thank you
    edited May 2006
    SCAR, thanks for helping out shorty2~. Good advice and good links.
  • edited May 2006
    Depending on what you want out of your machine it might be cheaper to get a prebuilt system.

Unless you are going very high end or want an AMD machine then you can't really save that much money building your own any more.
    edited May 2006
    one thing that might confuse hime scar though, you said its the new type of hard drive, when its really the same hard drive just a different interface and most likely a different logic/controller board. what ever that little board is called.
    edited May 2006
    True that, about saving money. But for a quality match, you would need to look on the pricey shelves before matching most home builds' quality.
  • Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
    edited May 2006
    MTgoats specs seem to be fair on both fronts. But I would stick with SATA drive as it pushed a ton more data.
    edited May 2006
  • edited May 2006
    wouldn't an intel that runs at 3.2 ghz be faster/better than and AMD at 2,2 GHZ??
    edited May 2006
    No.
    AMD 3200+ = 3.2 GHz iNtel
    AMD 3500+ = 3.5 GHz iNtel
    AMD 3800+ = 3.8 GHZ iNtel
    Someone explained this thourghly in one of the threads. I'm not sure, but I wanna say it was General Keebler or LemonLime. Please post the link if someone can find that thread.
    edited May 2006
    In some cases, yes; in other cases no. "Fast" really doesn't mean much. You have to design and build a computer around what your needs are. The intended use of the computer (and budget, of course) should determine what parts go in it.

I've used both AMD and Intel CPUs as well.

I think MtGoat's suggestions were very good.

BTW, you never did tell us:

the intended use of the computer
    how long the user wants to keep it
    if he will want to upgrade it as time goes on, or merely replace it

Those will be prime factors in deciding what to build.
    edited May 2006
    For the past few years, Intel has been concentrating mainly on high clock cycles, as boosting say, a Pentium 4 from 3.0GHz to 3.5GHz. The frequency of a processor is not the only indication of performance. Let's use an automotive anology. Let's see I wanted to wind and twist quickly through some mountain roads. A Porsche with a high revving engine would do nicely for that. OK, let's say I need I need to pull a 40-ton trailer across the US? The Porsche may have 400 horsepower and may have an engine RPM redline of 8000, but I'd take the diesel tractor at 2200RPM for the trailer. Crude anology, but apt.

Of late, Intel has been following AMD's lead by trying to squeeze more performance out of each clock cycle, rather than just looking for ever higher clocked CPUs. The higher clock speeds may look really impressive on a store shelf or in a TV or magazine advertisement, but often that is just marketing crap. In the past, Intel has been very, very successful with their advertising, as meaningless as it's been.

Again, we need to look at exactly what applications/use your computer will be targeted for. To say go Intel, or go AMD without answering usage questions is like charging windmills.
  • edited May 2006
    Leonardo wrote:
    In some cases, yes; in other cases no. "Fast" really doesn't mean much. You have to design and build a computer around what your needs are. The intended use of the computer (and budget, of course) should determine what parts go in it.

I've used both AMD and Intel CPUs as well.

I think MtGoat's suggestions were very good.

BTW, you never did tell us:

the intended use of the computer
    how long the user wants to keep it
    if he will want to upgrade it as time goes on, or merely replace it

Those will be prime factors in deciding what to build.

it is a ffamily computer, but i want it to be very quick, aka no waiting the 25 seconds i do now for word to open!! or the 15 seconds for aim, and so on.(i want it to be pretty much instant)

i dont want it to be liek amazing graphics either, so what exactly can i get for about 700-900 $$ knowing that i want this now?
    edited May 2006
    Okay, pretty much any computer will bring you to that level. I am running a Socket 754 a64 2800+, which is one of the first a64's that were out. for you, I would say get at least a 3200. That will get you reasonably quick, but for a more future proof rig, I would say get a 3500. It would give you a pretty snappy computer for day to day use, as well as gaming. Just make sure that you get at least a gig of ram in this day and age.
  • edited May 2006
    and 3500 go for..(can u provide a site so i dont get mistaken?) thank you-nate