New Computer.. these parts look good?

Comments

• V-PV-P State College, PA Member
    edited May 2006
    Actually, I bought the upgrade OEM for $53.Change and I had some WIndows 98 's lying around so I used them to give it a start and then installed the XP upgrade. I guess that only works if you have an older system that either came with a restore CD or you bought 98. Although, buying 98 and the upgrade would probably be cheaper than buying a whole new XP.
  • edited May 2006
    I am such a good friend I will get him an operating system dont worry about it :)
  • edited May 2006
    I strongly suggest that you don’t over clock you things because it will clearly reduce the life ... unless your a rich MOFO and got $_$ to toss ... (if you are rich then go crazy over clock it to maximum OVER DRIVE lol) ...

But like most people that don’t have $10,000 to keep throwing on PCs then I suggest that you dont over clock cuz for everything there is a cause and effect ... if speeding it up makes you happy you have to realize your also taking away from it's life ... I forget what law that is but if anyone knows the name of it let me know :D ... cuz I like (I mainly like the truth in that, not the fact that you cant achieve perfection)
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited May 2006
    Shrief wrote:
    I strongly suggest that you don’t over clock you things because it will clearly reduce the life ...
    Yes. And in the year 2018 he is going to be crying his eyes out because his CPU - which will be worth about 35 cents by then - dies on him.
    profdlp wrote:
    ...you are talking about the difference between lasting ten years and (maybe) lasting fifteen years. Do you know anyone who still uses the same CPU they had in 1996, let alone 1991? :) ...

Overclocking should be done with care and by following the advice of people who have done it before. The suggestions about getting an overclockable system are designed to give him the flexibility to do so if he wishes to at some point.

Let's wait until he gets the system up and running before we get too deeply into the subject of overclocking. :wave:
  • Mt_GoatMt_Goat Head Cheezy Knob Pflugerville (north of Austin) Icrontian
    edited May 2006
    Shrief wrote:
    I am such a good friend I will get him an operating system dont worry about it :)
    But is it legit so he can get updates and so on???
  • airbornflghtairbornflght Houston, TX Icrontian
    edited May 2006
    Lets hope so.
  • Mt_GoatMt_Goat Head Cheezy Knob Pflugerville (north of Austin) Icrontian
    edited May 2006
    Here is the best I could do and keep close to budget. I can vouch for all components being sound and high quality as I have used them all to build different systems recently for others and had no problems at all. I went with the vid card selection as it is a great deal and will allow you to play the latest games with decent quality and it is only $20.00 more than a basic card after rebate. The total price not counting shipping is $815.91 after rebate and $845.91 before rebate of $30.00. I very seriously don't think you could do better overall quality/price. Then build it yourself so you not only get the experience but to also be familiar with it. We will help as we have helped many others on their first build. ;)

MSI K8N Neo4-F Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce4 ATX AMD Motherboard $74.99

AMD Athlon 64 3200+ Venice 1GHz HT 512KB L2 Cache Socket 939 Processor - Retail $135.00

CORSAIR ValueSelect 1GB (2 x 512MB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM Dual Channel Kit System Memory $79.99

Antec Solution SLK3800B Black Rackmount Case - Retail $79.99

MSI Radeon X800 RX800-TD128E Video Card - Retail $102.99 ($79.99 AMR)

Maxtor DiamondMax 10 250GB 3.5" Serial ATA150 Hard Drive - OEM $74.99

NEC 16X DVD±R DVD Burner Black IDE/ATAPI Model ND-3550A - OEM $35.99

SAMSUNG Black Internal Floppy Drive Model SFD321B/LBL1 - OEM $6.99

ViewSonic Optiquest Q7B3 Black 17" 8ms LCD Monitor Built in Speakers - Retail $164.99

Microsoft Windows XP Home With SP2 - OEM $89.99
    edited May 2006
    looks good to me, Im only running a 2800 on a s754 platform, and trust me it is pretty quick, so you should be really happy with that 3200. Although, dont forget that if you ever have some extra cash, with that s939 platform, you can always upgrade to a dual core processor. Unlike me, with S754 I am pretty much stuck, there are only one or two more processors better than mine, and the gain I would get from it would not be worth it. I wish I could drop a dual core opty in my computers, but nope, Im stuck..EARLY ADOPTION SUCKS!!(I was one of the first with a 64bit cpu, I am wishing I wasnt now, I am paying the price)
  • edited May 2006
    The OS is fine... that part is all set, along with many other programs such as virus protection, t hat part is all set. thank ytou for bringing it up though.

and mtgoat, i like itt
  • edited May 2006
    mtgoat wrote:
    Here is the best I could do and keep close to budget. I can vouch for all components being sound and high quality as I have used them all to build different systems recently for others and had no problems at all. I went with the vid card selection as it is a great deal and will allow you to play the latest games with decent quality and it is only $20.00 more than a basic card after rebate. The total price not counting shipping is $815.91 after rebate and $845.91 before rebate of $30.00. I very seriously don't think you could do better overall quality/price. Then build it yourself so you not only get the experience but to also be familiar with it. We will help as we have helped many others on their first build. ;)

MSI K8N Neo4-F Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce4 ATX AMD Motherboard $74.99

AMD Athlon 64 3200+ Venice 1GHz HT 512KB L2 Cache Socket 939 Processor - Retail $135.00

CORSAIR ValueSelect 1GB (2 x 512MB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM Dual Channel Kit System Memory $79.99

Antec Solution SLK3800B Black Rackmount Case - Retail $79.99

MSI Radeon X800 RX800-TD128E Video Card - Retail $102.99 ($79.99 AMR)

Maxtor DiamondMax 10 250GB 3.5" Serial ATA150 Hard Drive - OEM $74.99

NEC 16X DVD±R DVD Burner Black IDE/ATAPI Model ND-3550A - OEM $35.99

SAMSUNG Black Internal Floppy Drive Model SFD321B/LBL1 - OEM $6.99

ViewSonic Optiquest Q7B3 Black 17" 8ms LCD Monitor Built in Speakers - Retail $164.99

Microsoft Windows XP Home With SP2 - OEM $89.99

heck, dnt really even need a floppy if i have it in a different computer, and after rebate and everytihng and subtracting the OS-- $732.92.. dont tihnk i miscounted..(725.93 without floppy)
    edited May 2006
    so that means that we could reappropiate $90 to a PROCESSOR!!! YAY!!! IM SO HAPPY!!

Ok, if you so choose, it looks like you have a few choices, these will keep about the same price, but may increase it up to $15, just to let you see the options, I will put a + or - to reflect the change in overall price. I have listed the processor speed and cache size in brackets also.

Opteron Venus 146 [2.0Ghz/1Mb] (-$2)
    Athalon 64 3700+ [2.2Ghz/1Mb] (+$10)
    Athalon 64 3500+ [2.2Ghz/512Kb] (-$39)

Those are jus the ones I would recomend looking at. I would say go for the opteron or 3700. Both of them have a 1mb cache which directly affects speed of the computer. It will really speed things up, the 3500 is the same speed as the 3700 but with half of the cache. the opteron is a little slower, but you could make that up with overclocking that thing like a mad man. And since the opterons are made heavier and with better pcb, they can handle more and are overall made better. I'm personally leaning toward the opty as I like to overclock things, but maybe you would like the 3700 more? I would definately get one that has a 1mb cache.
  • edited May 2006
    so that means that we could reappropiate $90 to a PROCESSOR!!! YAY!!! IM SO HAPPY!!

true, or if the processor is fine, then its all good.. the cheaper the better ( im broke!! spent all my money on lacrosse stuff and other things)

but a processor change.. would it make it that much better?... details??
    edited May 2006
    true, or if the processor is fine, then its all good.. the cheaper the better ( im broke!! spent all my money on lacrosse stuff and other things)

but a processor change.. would it make it that much better?... details??

In my books, yes it would, see my post above. I edited it with your options and explained my reasoning. its your choice of what you want to do, and like I said in the other post, Id jump for the opty, but if you dont want to do any overclocking then go for the 3700.

And i didnt mention it, but I dont mean here and now on the overclocking, only a few crazy people oc a proc soon as they get it(sorry lemonlime, you crazy bastard;)j/k) Even if its two months away, that opteron would be an excelent processor to start out on because it will be much more forgiving.
  • edited May 2006

Ok, if you so choose, it looks like you have a few choices, these will keep about the same price, but may increase it up to $15, just to let you see the options, I will put a + or - to reflect the change in overall price. I have listed the processor speed and cache size in brackets also.

Opteron Venus 146 [2.0Ghz/1Mb] (-$2)
    Athalon 64 3700+ [2.2Ghz/1Mb] (+$10)
    Athalon 64 3500+ [2.2Ghz/512Kb] (-$39)

Those are jus the ones I would recomend looking at. I would say go for the opteron or 3700. Both of them have a 1mb cache which directly affects speed of the computer. It will really speed things up, the 3500 is the same speed as the 3700 but with half of the cache. the opteron is a little slower, but you could make that up with overclocking that thing like a mad man. And since the opterons are made heavier and with better pcb, they can handle more and are overall made better. I'm personally leaning toward the opty as I like to overclock things, but maybe you would like the 3700 more? I would definately get one that has a 1mb cache.

when u said 90$ for the processor.. i thoguht you were gonna make it 90$ more.. i was like ehhhh i dnooo..

but like 25-40 $ more is fine..
    edited May 2006
    when u said 90$ for the processor.. i thoguht you were gonna make it 90$ more.. i was like ehhhh i dnooo..

but like 25-40 $ more is fine..

no no no, here the method of my madness.

Windows xp was ~$90, so we can take that $90 off and add it to the processor price. so if thats what the + and - are for, they are + and - that ammount from the price that mtgoat quoted you. since we can drop the os off of the price, that means we can spend that money elsewhere. the processor.:headbange.

Mt quoted you at ~$815, so lets say you take the 3700, your price will come out to around $825. and if you got the opty, the price would be like $813. Do you understand where Im comming from?
  • edited May 2006
    no no no, here the method of my madness.

Windows xp was ~$90, so we can take that $90 off and add it to the processor price. so if thats what the + and - are for, they are + and - that ammount from the price that mtgoat quoted you. since we can drop the os off of the price, that means we can spend that money elsewhere. the processor.:headbange

:nudge: yes i knew what u mean.. 725.. then since thats pretty cheap, add money and invest in a better processor? correct??
    edited May 2006
    Mt quoted you at ~$815, so lets say you take the 3700, your price will come out to around $825. and if you got the opty, the price would be like $813. Do you understand where Im comming from?

815(base price) - $90(os) = $725(new base price)

$223(price of opty) - $135(price of 3200) = $88(price difference)

$725(new base price) + $88(processor price difference) = $813

so we pretty much get back to the original price, but with a much better processor.
  • edited May 2006

815(base price) - $90(os) = $725(new base price)

$223(price of opty) - $135(price of 3200) = $88(price difference)

$725(new base price) + $88(processor price difference) = $813

so we pretty much get back to the original price, but with a much better processor.

ahh ic.. mucchh better processor??
    iii tihnk were getting to a winnnerrr :usflag: :ausflag: :celebrate :respect::eek2: ..and for shreif :csimon:
    edited May 2006
    well, they are both much better processors in my book, not only because of the speed increase, but also doubling of the cache size. Like I said, if you think that you might want to dabble in overclocking at some point, go for the opteron, otherwise, go for the 3700, dont get me wrong, you can oc the 3700, just not as much and it might not be as forgiving.

Not to mentinon that its kinda cool to say you have an opty running in your system and everyone else is like "opty?? whats an opteron?"

hey, i just thought of something, does anyone know if they are gonna be putting the 1xx opterons on am2? because if they are, I hope that means a pricecut for the 939 opty's. Cause pricecuts are always good for me, Cause right now, am2 isnt looking that much better than 939, aside from the DDR2 support which I really dont like because DDR2 ram is expensive right now.
  • edited May 2006
    well, they are both much better processors in my book, not only because of the speed increase, but also doubling of the cache size. Like I said, if you think that you might want to dabble in overclocking at some point, go for the opteron, otherwise, go for the 3700, dont get me wrong, you can oc the 3700, just not as much and it might not be as forgiving.

Not to mentinon that its kinda cool to say you have an opty running in your system and everyone else is like "opty?? whats an opteron?"

hey, i just thought of something, does anyone know if they are gonna be putting the 1xx opterons on am2? because if they are, I hope that means a pricecut for the 939 opty's. Cause pricecuts are always good for me, Cause right now, am2 isnt looking that much better than 939, aside from the DDR2 support which I really dont like because DDR2 ram is expensive right now.

i was thinking the same exact thing ("whats an opty??") but now i know :thumbup

and i doubt i am doing to oc since i dont really know what i doing in that area..

overstock of tigerdirect..
    http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/overstock/overstock_tlc.asp?AffiliateID=hyldPsfFfCo-nZBrlQlaq5tA4LGrTie5Ng
    edited May 2006
    yeh, then I would go ahead and get the 3700 unless you want the opty. but from the looks of it, that 3700 sounds like it would suit your needs much better since you dont plan to do any heavy overclcocking, but we can still let you read up on the S754/939 overclocking guide and tell you little tricks we've learned to let you dabble in it. Chances are, once you get a taste of it, all you ever want is more. You should still be able to take that 3700 to 2.6Ghz if you want to. That would only be around an 18% oc, not aggressive at all.

when do you expect to place the order? Are you gonna assemble it? If so I cant wait to get started with it, sounds like it should be a fun project for you, for it being your first time, I would expect it to take you a couple hours to get all assembled and then another hour to get xp installed. after that each time you build one you will get faster. I can have a pc put together as far as hardware goes in about 15-30 minutes depending on the case. Ive came accros some cases that are hell to work in because the way the sheet metal its, and also the mobo standoffs can be a bit problematic, I like the screw in standoffs more than the snap in type that my case has now.
  • edited May 2006
    yeh, then I would go ahead and get the 3700 unless you want the opty. but from the looks of it, that 3700 sounds like it would suit your needs much better since you dont plan to do any heavy overclcocking, but we can still let you read up on the S754/939 overclocking guide and tell you little tricks we've learned to let you dabble in it. Chances are, once you get a taste of it, all you ever want is more. You should still be able to take that 3700 to 2.6Ghz if you want to. That would only be around an 18% oc, not aggressive at all.

when do you expect to place the order? Are you gonna assemble it? If so I cant wait to get started with it, sounds like it should be a fun project for you, for it being your first time, I would expect it to take you a couple hours to get all assembled and then another hour to get xp installed. after that each time you build one you will get faster. I can have a pc put together as far as hardware goes in about 15-30 minutes depending on the case. Ive came accros some cases that are hell to work in because the way the sheet metal its, and also the mobo standoffs can be a bit problematic, I like the screw in standoffs more than the snap in type that my case has now.

actually shreif.. yes shreif.. is building it for me, i honestly do not want to screw it up, and he has built a couple, im sure i can trust him with that part

and curious.. whats faster.. the amd 3700 or an intel 3.2..??
    edited May 2006

Total comes to $855.92 - $30 Mail in Rebate == $825.92

I think that you are going to be really happy with it, hell I would, it will smoke my current rig, I'm kind of jealous, but my dual core opty rig is comming, slowly but surely. anyway, with all the hardware that you are getting, you are gonna have a nice rig. That monitor mt picked out for you is really nice, aside from only being 17", but still really nice. Im using a 15" monitor for the time being, but I want a 20.1" widescreen. We shall see.

any, let us know when the order goes out, comes in, and when you are ready to get it going and if you have any problems. and dont forget, WE WANT TO SEE PICS!!(at least I do.):vimp:
    edited May 2006
    actually shreif.. yes shreif.. is building it for me, i honestly do not want to screw it up, and he has built a couple, im sure i can trust him with that part

and curious.. whats faster.. the amd 3700 or an intel 3.2..??

in actual performance, this processor will smoke the 3.2, now dont forget that every processor has its strongpoints. Intels seem to accel at things such as video editing and encoding. amds excel at everything else:p the intel may beat an amd at one benchmark, but for the time being, the amd will mod the floor with intel on most of the benchmarks.:rockon:
  • V-PV-P State College, PA Member
    edited May 2006
    ME wrote:
    Hey shorty, I just did my first build in January (infact it was my birthday the 25th ;) ). Here's a few links to some articles. Read them through, and you'll save $100. BTW if Shrief is chargin you that much, I would REALLY think about it, because at that rate, you should be getting proffesional help. Hell, at that rate you should be getting Gordon Moore to come and build that thing. Here's the links. READ THEM!! :)

http://www.pcmech.com/byopc/

http://www.hardwarecentral.com/hardwarecentral/reports/article.php/3580681

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1895,1921010,00.asp

They're a bit out of date, but the concept is the same. SOme parts, like the Math CoProcesser mentioned in there are now included inside the chips you buy, wether that'd be iNtel or AMD.

http://newegg.com

Ofcourse.

Read them through, ask around here.

http://short-media.com/forum/showthread.php?t=41508

http://short-media.com/forum/showthread.php?t=41753

http://short-media.com/forum/showthread.php?t=41672

http://short-media.com/forum/showthread.php?t=42430

http://short-media.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4167

Do you want to save $100 or not? That should free you up for an AMD Dualie.
  • edited May 2006
    in actual performance, this processor will smoke the 3.2, now dont forget that every processor has its strongpoints. Intels seem to accel at things such as video editing and encoding. amds excel at everything else:p the intel may beat an amd at one benchmark, but for the time being, the amd will mod the floor with intel on most of the benchmarks.:rockon:

lol well it does jsut so happen that i may do some video editing-- pinnacle studios-- that will still run at a good seed correct??

and i really dont feel like reading all those scar :-\.. if u know.. wouldn't it be easier to jsu tell me how to sve that anmd get a better onee???

and trust me anything beats this onitor.. its the exact size of a pice of printer paaper.. what evr that size is.. and its not a flat panel..

and also.. i hvae a flat panel in my room... tohugh its broken anyone know how to fix it? when its plugged in.. the screenw just stays on a white screen.. :-\:scratch:
  • edited May 2006
    But is it legit so he can get updates and so on???

Ya it is all set to go ... I have a CD and everything it is the Real deal :D
    edited May 2006
    Yes, it will still run at a really fast speed, the difference is marginal and only for benchmarks. I do video editing on my 2800, and it is reasonably quick, not the fastest like a purpose built workstation is, but you cant expect it to be, you should be more than satisfied with it.

And shorty, you dont have to read all of those, just one or two will do, its pretty simple stuff, just putting the stuff in the right place, taking your time, and NEVER force something in, chances are you are the reason that it wont go in.

And once you get it up and booting, we will help you install xp, although shrief said that he would take care of you as far as the os is concerned, and if you need any help installing it, we can guide you through it to get it running, becuase once the isntall starts, it is about 4 steps long to get it installed.

on that flat panel, when you plug it in, do you have a video source plugged into it? if you do, then I couldnt tell you the problem, how old is it, if its very old it may just be toasted. and once bread is toast, it can never be bread again.:vimp:
  • edited May 2006
    I got him covered don’t worry about it :P ... I will build it ... I have built 2 others and this one will make #3 dont worry your in good hands