New Computer.. these parts look good?

Comments

• edited May 2006
    Shrief wrote:
    I got him covered don’t worry about it :P ... I will build it ... I have built 2 others and this one will make #3 dont worry your in good hands

haha i think i can trust u.. and the falt panel is pretty old.. when my brother went to college about 4 years ago..

and im not that dumb.. like i know stuff about computers.. jsut not he parts inside and how to deal with them :cool2:

and i hoenstly think i am not rushing this lol..
    this has been a pretty thourugh discussion andim loving it, as you can tell i want the most bang for my buck
  • airbornflghtairbornflght Houston, TX Icrontian
    edited May 2006
    Yeh, if you saved $100 by doing the install yourself, you could have one of these:

Opteron 165 Dual Core[1.8Ghz/2*1Mb](-$8)
    Athalon X2 3800[2.0Ghz/2*512Kb](-$38)

So essentially, if you did the install yourself, you would not only get to put $100 into the parts instead of labor charges, you would get a whole lot better processor, and still spend LESS, the opteron has the 2 1mb caches which I recomend over the 3800 which has half the cache. I may not be as fast stock as the 3800, but I GAURANTEE YOU, if you want to, I can get you up to 24.-2.6 Ghz with all the stock cooling and all that good stuff. All I need from you is motivation to go through a little bit of a tedious process, and to promise you wont get in a hurry. otherwise go ahead and get the 3800.
  • Mt_GoatMt_Goat Head Cheezy Knob Pflugerville (north of Austin) Icrontian
    edited May 2006
    Why does airbornflght insist on making this poor guy spend more money for something that will not yield enough of a performance increase to warrant the extra cach??? I have owned or do currently own the 3000 (1.8/512 L2), 3200 2.0/512 L2), 3500 (2.2/512 L2), 3700(2.2/1024 L2), X2 3800 (dual core 2.0/512 L2 x2) and opteron 170 (dual core 2.2/1024 L2 x2). So I have a clue as to what I am talking about and have experienced the power of all of them. In my opinion from everyday use and through benching the best bang for the buck is in the 3200, period! The 3700 San Diego core is a little better but the extra $100.00 isn't worth it. I would rather see shorty28898 get a bigger monitor as it would be a better investment than a more expensive CPU. A CPU can always be upgraded later on if he decides to do so. Or this could be where overclocking could come into play, as a way to increase speed with little cost ( a new cooler would be needed).
    edited May 2006
    as you can tell i want the most bang for my buck

Thats what we are all about here. I spend over 1 month researching the products and putting the best possible combo for the rig I have now, I only spent $800 on it initially, then I did an upgrade for the memory and video card.
  • edited May 2006
    mtgoat wrote:
    Why does airbornflght insist on making this poor guy spend more money for something that will not yield enough of a performance increase to warrant the extra cach??? I have owned or do currently own the 3000 (1.8/512 L2), 3200 2.0/512 L2), 3500 (2.2/512 L2), 3700(2.2/1024 L2), X2 3800 (dual core 2.0/512 L2 x2) and opteron 170 (dual core 2.2/1024 L2 x2). So I have a clue as to what I am talking about and have experienced the power of all of them. In my opinion from everyday use and through benching the best bang for the buck is in the 3200, period! The 3700 San Diego core is a little better but the extra $100.00 isn't worth it. I would rather see shorty28898 get a bigger monitor as it would be a better investment than a more expensive CPU. A CPU can always be upgraded later on if he decides to do so. Or this could be where overclocking could come into play, as a way to increase speed with little cost ( a new cooler would be needed).

mtgoat i love how u think.. and so everything u said goes to 725 or whatever i said it was (w/o OS) so with the extra $$ a flat pannel (built in speakers to save money as in can buy speakers at another time) would be an ideal thing.. you can enever have too big of a monitor
    edited May 2006
    Shrief wrote:
    I got him covered don’t worry about it :P ... I will build it ... I have built 2 others and this one will make #3 dont worry your in good hands
    shorty28898
    If you wee near me I would do it and show you how to do it. I lost count of how many I've built some time ago. I've built about 22 so far this year and they are all running strong.
    edited May 2006
    I'm not insisting, merely sugesting and giving options. I dont know this guy from adam, and he is more than welcome to spend his hard earned money how he pleases, it is no benefiet to me if he buys a super duper processor or a big honkin lcd, I'm just here to give advice as he asks for it.:cheers:

If he wants a bigger monitor, then I dont mind, it just depends what he puts more preference on. I've used my 2800, a 3200, and a 4000+, and tha 4000+ flew like a bat out of hell. but it depends on what you want. If you want a bigger monitor, go for it, if you want a better video card, then go for it, I seem to notice that you wanted a big hard drive, so maybe you should invest in a bigger drive or something, or you could even pocket the money, depends on you its your money. Like with me, I put the most importance on memory and processor, as you can tell, because I'm still typing on a 15" montitor:banghead:

He just said he has x amount of money to spend on it, and asked me what I thought the best way to spend it was, I took your system and changed it to the way I thought the money was best utilized. but I'm not stopping him from saying, "no, the 3200 is find, I want a 19" monitor." if he wants that, then that is his perogative. I'm merely giving him options and trying to tell him what he can expect from it, like telling him that the increased cache size WILL give the most noticalbe increase in performance. if he decided he doesnt want to upgrade the monitor or processor or anything like that, I would tell him to think about more ram, or just to pocket it for a rainy day.
    edited May 2006
    mtgoat i love how u think.. and so everything u said goes to 725 or whatever i said it was (w/o OS) so with the extra $$ a flat pannel (built in speakers to save money as in can buy speakers at another time) would be an ideal thing.. you can enever have too big of a monitor
    These are killer for the price! I have seen quite a few and they are very nice!

SAMSUNG 920N-Black Black 19" 8ms LCD Monitor - Retail $229.99
    edited May 2006
    where are you at shorty? probably no where close to me, but no one ever is, anf for good reason, who would want to live in oklahoma? you would have to be :crazy: if you did, aside from if you were retiring because of the low cost of living.
  • edited May 2006
    If he wants a bigger monitor, then I dont mind, it just depends what he puts more preference on. I've used my 2800, a 3200, and a 4000+, and tha 4000+ flew like a bat out of hell. but it depends on what you want. If you want a bigger monitor, go for it, if you want a better video card, then go for it, I seem to notice that you wanted a big hard drive, so maybe you should invest in a bigger drive or something, or you could even pocket the money, depends on you its your money. Like with me, I put the most importance on memory and processor, as you can tell, because I'm still typing on a 15" montitor:banghead:

He just said he has x amount of money to spend on it, and asked me what I thought the best way to spend it was, I took your system and changed it to the way I thought the money was best utilized. but I'm not stopping him from saying, "no, the 3200 is find, I want a 19" monitor." if he wants that, then that is his perogative. I'm merely giving him options and trying to tell him what he can expect from it, like telling him that the increased cache size WILL give the most noticalbe increase in performance. if he decided he doesnt want to upgrade the monitor or processor or anything like that, I would tell him to think about more ram, or just to pocket it for a rainy day.

well how much bigger is a 15" compared to this one( a piece of pritner paaper coveres the screen haha)

and i like that deal mtgoat.. and i live in rhode island.. and the town i live in is the oppositve of low living cost's..(haha jsut for laughs--my town--http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=east+greenwich)

and if i do that monitor.. i will then need to get speakers too..

and airborn i know what u mean and i agree, maybe i will jsut stick with the one thats 725, and if i want to upgrade later.. i can
    edited May 2006
    well, i just stuck a piece of paper up to my lcd, and the screen is about a half inch taller and about 1" wider than the paper, so you probably have the same screen as me, I hate the 15" monitor that I'm using, and I would love to have a 19" monitor. I guess im sort of like mtgoat, I think spending that much on a monitor is outrageous when I could get some performance, where as he seems to think that spending the extra cash on some extra cache is outrageous, differing personalities is all it comes down to. and its all where you priorites are. I have a friend that has to have a new video card every 6 months becaues he says that his old one is too slow. He thinks a video card is the most important part of the system, everyone is different.

And dont worry about the speakers, you can pick up a decent set of speakers for ~$20 they wont be great, but will do until you can afford some nice ones. I'm using some old altec lansing 2.1 speakers that are around 6-8 years old, but they sound nice as hell. The best thing about them is that I got them for free from someone who was gonna throw them away.
    edited May 2006
    Total bang for the buck in speakers if you don't have a lot of space or just need to keep it under $100.00.

Logitech X-230 2.1 Speaker - Retail
    edited May 2006
    I've listened to those at staples and I didnt care for the sound, I would say before buying any speakers, drop into a computer store and listen to them, find a set you like, and then go online and get them. Speakers are one thing that I wont buy blind, or deaf for that matter.
  • edited May 2006
    well, i just stuck a piece of paper up to my lcd, and the screen is about a half inch taller and about 1" wider than the paper, so you probably have the same screen as me, I hate the 15" monitor that I'm using, and I would love to have a 19" monitor. I guess im sort of like mtgoat, I think spending that much on a monitor is outrageous when I could get some performance, where as he seems to think that spending the extra cash on some extra cache is outrageous, differing personalities is all it comes down to. and its all where you priorites are. I have a friend that has to have a new video card every 6 months becaues he says that his old one is too slow. He thinks a video card is the most important part of the system, everyone is different.

And dont worry about the speakers, you can pick up a decent set of speakers for ~$20 they wont be great, but will do until you can afford some nice ones. I'm using some old altec lansing 2.1 speakers that are around 6-8 years old, but they sound nice as hell. The best thing about them is that I got them for free from someone who was gonna throw them away.

haha wow thats a lot fo replacing.. well this screen is a litttllee to small for my liking maybe 1 inch or 2 inches more would be perfect

and the speakers.. i agree.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16824253001
    179 after rebate(19" with speakers)

http://www.pcmall.com/pcmall/shop/detail.asp?store=pcmall&dpno=633245&source=ZWB12090&srccode=cii_10043468&cpncode=10-20391389-2&adcampaign=email,ZWB12090&wt.mc_id=ZWB12090
    X2gen MG19MY 19 in LCD Monitor-139 after rebates

^at new egg that one -- all of had some dea dpixels..

annothher one??
    http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1574032&Sku=A179-1914&SRCCODE=BIZRATE&CMP=OTC-BIZRATE

g2g be back tommorow
    edited May 2006
    Andy
    All I'm getting at is that the next big increase in performance or where the bang/buck is a good ratio again is the Opty 165 or Opty 170 (both dual core). I have the Opty 170 running at 2.7. :D I also have memory that will go well past 300 with decent timings, 6 HD's and a kick butt Aluminum case. I can't game these days till I get surgery on my wrists so I will settle for my X800XL (equivelent to a 6800GT) for now. So don't say I don't put emphasis on performance. ;)
    edited May 2006
    haha wow thats a lot fo replacing.. well this screen is a litttllee to small for my liking maybe 1 inch or 2 inches more would be perfect

and the speakers.. i agree.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16824253001
    179 after rebate(19" with speakers)

http://www.pcmall.com/pcmall/shop/detail.asp?store=pcmall&dpno=633245&source=ZWB12090&srccode=cii_10043468&cpncode=10-20391389-2&adcampaign=email,ZWB12090&wt.mc_id=ZWB12090
    X2gen MG19MY 19 in LCD Monitor-139 after rebates
    If you need speakers then do not get a monitor with built in speakers! They sound worse than crap and don't get loud enough to hear much. You will be much better off with some cheap second hand speakers from the Goodwill store! NO LIE!
  • edited May 2006
    mtgoat wrote:
    If you need speakers then do not get a monitor with built in speakers! They sound worse than crap and don't get loud enough to hear much. You will be much better off with some cheap second hand speakers from the Goodwill store! NO LIE!

yep i know, i dno what i was tihnkin for those few moments.. i can get speakers when ever.. dont include them in the pricing really...
    edited May 2006
    Stick with well known names for a monitor! The quality factor will be seen after you have had it a while. Off brands seem to rear their ugly head with problems in the same amount of time.
    edited May 2006
    yep i know, i dno what i was tihnkin for those few moments.. i can get speakers when ever.. dont include them in the pricing really...
    GET THE SAMSUNG!!!

And I'm going to bed.

nite all!
    edited May 2006
    mtgoat wrote:
    I have the Opty 170 running at 2.7. :D I also have memory that will go well past 300 with decent timings, 6 HD's and a kick butt Aluminum case ... I will settle for my X800XL (equivelent to a 6800GT) for now.

Wanna Trade?? My Rig has a lot of sould and a little character too!!;)

By Soul, I mean: Custom modded front and top window, custom sea blue paintjob, led fans and neon tubes. then we come to the character, missing front drive bay covers little nicks in the paint where I dropped a piece of iron pipe on it. And all this was done to try and revive an old beige case that Ive had since '95, it really doesnt look that bad now that its blue and has some windows in it. but truthfully, I could have bough a nice case for the ammount of money i spent on the mods, but its mine and I can gaurantee you that no one has a case like mine.:vimp:
  • edited June 2006
    so the final pc without OS and with that samsung is..(which oproicessor was the agree meant on??)..?
  • V-PV-P State College, PA Member
    edited June 2006
    and i doubt i am doing to oc since i dont really know what i doing in that area..
    Ha, that's what I use to think. Anyway, most ASUS boards come with auto Ocers that will OC a little bit, although not much, it helps. It's also good since it's GUI is user friendly. Once you install the OS of-course...
  • V-PV-P State College, PA Member
    edited June 2006
    looks gooooood.... u guys thnk samee? and suggestions last minute?
    with a nice video card too! :thumbsup:
  • edited June 2006
    SCAR wrote:
    with a nice video card too! :thumbsup:

ahh i wanntt it noww!! dont want to waitt haha:woowoo: :rockon::rockon::rockon:
    edited June 2006
    ahh i wanntt it noww!! dont want to waitt haha:woowoo: :rockon::rockon::rockon:
    The Godfather says;

DO IT!!!
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited June 2006
    mtgoat wrote:
    The Godfather says;

DO IT!!!
    Read & Heed! :woowoo:
    edited June 2006
    Im just glad that we got everything ironed out now as far as the hardware goes. and after 240 posts, I would really hope so.
  • edited June 2006
    lol yes same hear, you have all done the best job i could have imagened with this. thank you aallll a lottt.