New Computer.. these parts look good?

12345679»

Comments

• KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian
    edited June 2006
  • edited June 2006
    OMG ... It was a rainy and thunderous day and my PC was still on ... (I have my PC on a power serge protector) ... Then in the morning I came to turn on my Monitor and it gave me all these scrued up colors ...:banghead:
    :bs::banghead:
    I restarted my PC and the FU*ked up colors were still there ... then I took the monitor to my brothers room and tried it ... the Colors were scrued up ... This means that I just lost a FREAKING 19" MONITOR WITH NO RETURN! ... (since I ordered it online) :sawed: :sad2: ... THE FU**:shakehead :banghead:

Now I have to go back to the 15" that I have ... DAMN YOU CRULE WORLD WHY WHY!!!!:rant:
    :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :wow: :banghead:
  • airbornflghtairbornflght Houston, TX Icrontian
    edited June 2006
    is it a crt monitor, or lcd, if it is a crt monitor you can try and degause it. if its a lcd monitor, yep your pretty much sol.
  • edited June 2006
    I still stand by what I said in my moderated post.
  • Mt_GoatMt_Goat Head Cheezy Knob Pflugerville (north of Austin) Icrontian
    edited June 2006
    Shrief wrote:
    OMG ... It was a rainy and thunderous day and my PC was still on ... (I have my PC on a power serge protector) ... Then in the morning I came to turn on my Monitor and it gave me all these scrued up colors ...:banghead:
    :bs::banghead:
    I restarted my PC and the FU*ked up colors were still there ... then I took the monitor to my brothers room and tried it ... the Colors were scrued up ... This means that I just lost a FREAKING 19" MONITOR WITH NO RETURN! ... (since I ordered it online) :sawed: :sad2: ... THE FU**:shakehead :banghead:

Now I have to go back to the 15" that I have ... DAMN YOU CRULE WORLD WHY WHY!!!!:rant:
    :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :wow: :banghead:
    That is why I have a $260.00 UPS to protect my system instead of a $15.00 surge strip. It is also why I trust a $230.00 PSU insted of a cheap $30.00 unit to power my $2200.00 worth of components! I also need to add that it is important to keep the side panels on to protect from proximity strikes. This where the lightning hits very close and is conducted through the air and doesn't need wires to carry it to do damage.

BTW
    I keep all 3 of mine on 24/7 folding @ 100% CPU useage.
    edited June 2006
    Or a good voltage regulator.

but if the system is worth 2200, i think it would be worth it to pay the $500 deductible.
    edited June 2006
    Or a good voltage regulator.

but if the system is worth 2200, i think it would be worth it to pay the $500 deductible.
    Andy
    My UPS is a lot more than just a battery backup. It also conditions the power to within .5% of the given voltage as well as has protection for my AC in and has jacks for phone, RJ45, etc. Ever since I hooked it up my monitor has never flickered again. I am willing to bet I trippled the life of all my components with this one piece! :D
    edited June 2006
    yeh, i was just saying that a line conditioner can be had for a lot less than a battery backup. If you can afford the battery then get it, but otherwise a line conditioner will protect you, but you just wont have the cushion time to shut your computer down if the power goes out.
  • edited June 2006
    It is also why I trust a $230.00 PSU insted of a cheap $30.00 unit to power my $2200.00 worth of components!

HOLLY SH*T $2,200

Well my monitor was an LCD :P ... flat screen :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

but 2200 is not worth it cuz my monitor is only worth 300+:sad2: :hair: :P
    edited June 2006
    yeh, the rig I want to build is $2,080 without a monitor.
  • edited June 2006
    I bet if we all researched it we could build the ULTIMAT computer of our time...:clap: :ukflag: :headbange ........after we help steve I say we start putting 2gether the best PC ever ... with NO price boundrys
  • V-PV-P State College, PA Member
    edited June 2006
    yeh, the rig I want to build is $2,080 without a monitor.
    The one I want to build could be wel lover $5000.
    edited June 2006
    I could crush $60k with no budget. Think a quad socket dual core opteron 8xx processors, maxed out on memory, Several RAID arrays from hell, Nvidia Quadro Vid cards, Quad Redundant Powersupplies.

What does that get you? A Industrial Server/Super Grafixs workstation from God Hybrid.
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited June 2006
    If you don't mind a little side-scrolling, something like this was done a few years back.

If you guys want to go for an updated version, why not start a new thread? I know I would be interested to see what you come up with. :cheers:
    edited June 2006
    lets do it. you will see the only half million dollar computer with a pb of stroage. Im gona call the system: Solar Array.

Now, if I do a SCSI array, the bigest drive I could find was a 300gig seagate, so I will need 3334 drives. and at an cost of $840 per drive, that will cost me $2,800,560 in hard drives. BUT, I will have one petabyte of storage.

Does anyone have a case that can fit 3500 drives? Cause I think we are about to go back to '73 and fill a room. actually, the computer would be in a case, the hard drives will fill the room, btw, you might want to put some hearing protection on before you enter. :vimp:

edit: I just remembered I gonna need a lot of scsi controllers.:wow2:
    edited June 2006
    I'd recommend a ground rule that it must all fit in one case, full tower max.
    edited June 2006
    profdlp wrote:
    I'd recommend a ground rule that it must all fit in one case, full tower max.
    Oh come on! Your no fun. ;) We gotta include two teired server cases!
    edited June 2006
    What if I custom fabricate my own case? I will have an image up in about an hour.
    edited June 2006
    What if I custom fabricate my own case? I will have an image up in about an hour.
    I bet it's the size of a refrigerator box. ;D
    edited June 2006