New Computer.. these parts look good?

Comments

• LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited May 2006
    Newegg.com =

very competitive prices
    great selection
    good customer service
    good return policy
    FAST shipping

hard to beat
  • V-PV-P State College, PA Member
    edited May 2006
    and 3500 go for..(can u provide a site so i dont get mistaken?) thank you-nate
    Look at the link I provided. It's there.
  • Mt_GoatMt_Goat Head Cheezy Knob Pflugerville (north of Austin) Icrontian
    edited May 2006
    Save your money. I have a 3500 in one system and a 3200 in another and can tell no difference at all!

BTW
    Both OC to the same 2.8 on the same board when all else is equal.
  • airbornflghtairbornflght Houston, TX Icrontian
    edited May 2006
    yeh, I just didnt know if he wanted to oc anything. If you want to splurge though, you could make the jump for the 3700+, and get the 1mb l2 cache, the bigger cache will make your computer feel snapier. that will run you like $235 though, and the 3500 will set you back like $185 you could get away with the 3200 for less, just depends what you want, what you can afford, and if you are willing to oc.
  • edited May 2006
    allrighty then, and does anyone know good deals on a laptop? my brother is going to college and he wants one, and it can alwyas get a little hard finding the right one. any suggestions?
    edited May 2006
    allrighty then, and does anyone know good deals on a laptop? my brother is going to college and he wants one, and it can alwyas get a little hard finding the right one. any suggestions?
    wrote:
    Newegg.com =

very competitive prices
    great selection
    good customer service
    good return policy
    FAST shipping

hard to beat

I'll post a link to a good one when I have time.
  • edited May 2006
    alright in the meantime, anyone else... best possible price for a computer that runs veyr fast, for under 700? or 800? i already have the case, thats all for a definent, but other things? the ones posted by mtgoat were good, but i am looking for a little cheaper, but with atleast 1 gb memory, and 200+ gb hard drive
    edited May 2006
    SCAR wrote:

I'm going to have to agree with all the stuff scar posted, for a mobo, I've been hearing good things about this one, and from the reviews and specs it looks like a decent board. MOBO

It is $136, so its not to bad, you probably dont want to skimp on a mobo, you may regret it, you may not if you do, just depends on the board and what you want to do with it.

With all the hardware listed there, you can get it all (vid card included) for $750 + Shipping which would be ten to twenty dollars. If you need it to be sub $700, you could find a cheaper video card, but I am really going to recomend that you get a fairly recent one, because all the new operating systems comming out are gonna require it. Onboard graphics may be just about done.
  • Mt_GoatMt_Goat Head Cheezy Knob Pflugerville (north of Austin) Icrontian
    edited May 2006
    alright in the meantime, anyone else... best possible price for a computer that runs veyr fast, for under 700? or 800? i already have the case, thats all for a definent, but other things? the ones posted by mtgoat were good, but i am looking for a little cheaper, but with atleast 1 gb memory, and 200+ gb hard drive
    The AMD system I listed comes to $765 before shipping and meets or exceeds your specs.
  • edited May 2006
    oh, haha sorry must of done error in the addiing some how. Anyways thank you all . Im jsut so fed up with this computer, and i need a new one!!

if anyone comes by any real good deals, then post them, along with good laptops deals

-nate
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited May 2006
    if anyone comes by any real good deals, then post them, along with good laptops deals

Perhaps you should spend some time here.
  • edited May 2006
    Leonardo wrote:
    Perhaps you should spend some time here.

perfect, thank you
    edited May 2006
    For a lappy, are you looking for the same specs you are in a PC? If not, then maybe post what you're looking for. Also, if you're hoping to get 200+ GB on a lappy, then wait till 2010. :thumbsup:
    edited May 2006
    THis is the best deal I could find. If you don't need a good video card in it, I could go cheaper. Its a dedicated card, so it should serve you nicely for a few years. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16834115223
  • edited May 2006
    SCAR wrote:
    THis is the best deal I could find. If you don't need a good video card in it, I could go cheaper. Its a dedicated card, so it should serve you nicely for a few years. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16834115223

yea the graphics aren't really so big
    edited May 2006
    yea the graphics aren't really so big
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16834115231

100GB
    1GB RAM
    DVD Drive
    Internal Wireless
    Installed:
    Acer Arcade
    Acer eManager
    Acer GridVista
    Acer Launch Manager
    Adobe Acrobat Reader
    CyberLink PowerProducer,*
    Norton AntiVirus*
    NTI CD-Maker*

On CD shipped with system:
    Acer System Recovery

1-Year Warranty.
  • edited May 2006
    excellant!! thank you a lott !!

this is what my friend came out with-all configured--

http://rapidshare.de/files/21692185/PC_configs.rar.html
    edited May 2006
    umm...is this spam or what, I cant figure anything out on that page. I think Im gonna try the free button.

Oh wow, you saved newegg:skeptic: ..perhaps you should just list the hardware, links and a price total.
    edited May 2006
    excellant!! thank you a lott !!

this is what my friend came out with-all configured--

http://rapidshare.de/files/21692185/PC_configs.rar.html
    You know if you zip the file instead of rar you can attach it here. NVM, I'll do it. :rolleyes2

Nevermind. You're friend made it more complicated than it needed to be. He could have just saved links in a txt or doc. I'm not sure if I would trust him to build this whole thing.... :-/

EDIT: I see airborn got to it before me. SO this is a race now eh? :rarr:
    edited May 2006
    Yeh, what it looks like his friend did was try and save the webpage...if he is trying to do that, I dont know if Id let him handle it either, but for your sake, lets hope his hardware knowledge is vastly superior to his software knowledge.
    edited May 2006
    First of all, I'd look at a better Motherboard. Always read the reviews. Second, is there a reason you want to go with Pentium? Unless you're going dual core, I don't think it's worth it. Also, that Video Card is useless nowadays. You may as well stick with onboard graphics. And also, get your friend on here instead of talking on his behalf.

EDIT: One more thing, AGP is on its way out of the market. Go with PCI-E 16x. If your friend doesn't know the difference, you may be as fit as him to put this together. Don't feel bad though, when I first got to SM, I was asking some of the same questions, and I got the same answers I'm giving you. Good luck.
  • edited May 2006
    SCAR wrote:
    First of all, I'd look at a better Motherboard. Always read the reviews. Second, is there a reason you want to go with Pentium? Unless you're going dual core, I don't think it's worth it. Also, that Video Card is useless nowadays. You may as well stick with onboard graphics. And also, get your friend on here instead of talking on his behalf.

EDIT: One more thing, AGP is on its way out of the market. Go with PCI-E 16x. If your friend doesn't know the difference, you may be as fit as him to put this together. Don't feel bad though, when I first got to SM, I was asking some of the same questions, and I got the same answers I'm giving you. Good luck.

thats wht i was thinking(about the MB)

ill try to get him on here.
    edited May 2006
    Yeh, het him on here, there is no sense in using intel now days unless you are going to use their dual core processors. Not to mention that he is thinking of getting a p4, wow..and at $267? WHAT!; Why did he pick a board/video with agp? wow, agp has been slowly on its way out for the past 2 years.

You should really try and get your friend on here so maybe we can see where he is comming from and what he is thinking. Because from the looks of what I'm seeing im starting to draw the conclusion that your friend may be on of these people that have fallen victim to intels marketing, and think "Intel Pentium 4 is teh roxors.!!1!1onez!!.it has megahrtz yo." I may be wrong, but I'm just calling it as I see it.

I am also thinking that he also may be a little out of the loop, especially since he dug up a p4 board with agp.
  • edited May 2006
    I have a strong belief that AMD sucks .... Intel is one of the most reliable processors you will ever have.... :hitit2:

I choose Intel because they are the #1 Processor producing company EVER...

I understand you saying “why Intel?” … Well I speak from experience and have read thousands of reviews saying that Intel is the way to go …

My Intel processor has never failed me yet … I have also read that the AMD processors don’t hold off as long … some say that they have an Intel and an AMD and cant tell the difference between them because they are both great …

But others more experienced users said >>>

“I purchased both AMD and Intel … after 5 years my AMD processor gave in and start to show major problems … unlike my Intel processor that I have had for more than 7 years now has never shown any sign of failure”.

I am not one of those people that believe everything they read so I looked into it … and I ended up reading thousands of reviews that stated similar info … therefore I took the idea that Intel is my ideal processor… and AMD may be cheaper but Guess what! … AMD is cheaper because it is CRAP…

I could tell you that if you wanted a short term PC for like 3 years of use or something then I guess AMD is alright … but for my buddy Shorty here that will probably be using this PC for College and years to come … I prefer to hook him up with the Best Quality PC …

(You commented on my Video card that I chose…. Well as you know the 3D games and such are always enhancing so I think it is important to be ahead of the game so that he doesn’t have to worry about upgrading his PC for the next 5-10 years … (of course by then we will probably have virtual reality or something awesome like that lol) :thumbsup:

Also you have three options for a video card:

1) On board Video
    2) Us AGP slot
    3) Us PCI slot

It doesn’t make any difference if you use PCI or AGP cuz they make the same version of a video card for both configs...... AGP or PCI, some times they don’t only cuz the video card sucks so its discontinued and a newer one comes out.... AGP is most common slot for Video Ram... and for a P4 its the best....

Also I was working with a total cost limit here... so you go ahead and search for same config for Processor cheaper price and a reliable retailer selling it retail not OEM ... and then look for MB compatible and other parts compatible ... If you find a better deal than mine then show me! :rockon:

Then we can talk about who is "IN THE LOOP" :scratch: :shakehead :skeptic::rant:

:type: Note: IF you read all that ... Give your self a pat on the back ... that was a lot!
    edited May 2006
    Shrief wrote:
    I have a strong belief that AMD sucks .... Intel is one of the most reliable processors you will ever have.... :hitit2:

I choose Intel because they are the #1 Processor producing company EVER...

I understand you saying “why Intel?” … Well I speak from experience and have read thousands of reviews saying that Intel is the way to go …

My Intel processor has never failed me yet … I have also read that the AMD processors don’t hold off as long … some say that they have an Intel and an AMD and cant tell the difference between them because they are both great …

But others more experienced users said >>>

“I purchased both AMD and Intel … after 5 years my AMD processor gave in and start to show major problems … unlike my Intel processor that I have had for more than 7 years now has never shown any sign of failure”.

I am not one of those people that believe everything they read so I looked into it … and I ended up reading thousands of reviews that stated similar info … therefore I took the idea that Intel is my ideal processor… and AMD may be cheaper but Guess what! … AMD is cheaper because it is CRAP…

I could tell you that if you wanted a short term PC for like 3 years of use or something then I guess AMD is alright … but for my buddy Shorty here that will probably be using this PC for College and years to come … I prefer to hook him up with the Best Quality PC …

(You commented on my Video card that I chose…. Well as you know the 3D games and such are always enhancing so I think it is important to be ahead of the game so that he doesn’t have to worry about upgrading his PC for the next 5-10 years … (of course by then we will probably have virtual reality or something awesome like that lol) :thumbsup:

Also you have three options for a video card:

1) On board Video
    2) Us AGP slot
    3) Us PCI slot

It doesn’t make any difference if you use PCI or AGP cuz they make the same version of a video card for both configs...... AGP or PCI, some times they don’t only cuz the video card sucks so its discontinued and a newer one comes out.... AGP is most common slot for Video Ram... and for a P4 its the best....

:type: Note: IF you read all that ... Give your self a pat on the back ... that was a lot!

Okay this has to be the most biased thing I've read here at SM. First off, how can you seriosly say:
    wrote:
    I choose Intel because they are the #1 Processor producing company EVER

Doesn't that sound biased to you? I mean that is definitly an opinion. Unless you're basing it on something, and if you are, then provide a link or something.
    Also, you're saying that you've read thousands of reviews. If you have, you've probably SEARCHED using keywords against AMD, which means you'll never see anything against Intel. Next, Intel use to be the giant in the business, but if you check out the news section at SM, you'll see that AMD is close to half the market now, and although Intel is a bit larger, Walmart is planning to carry these procs, so that should tip the sales towards AMD.
    wrote:
    HAHAHA that's a SM Byte. First, there IS a difference between AGP and PCI E. AGP is much slower. Also, they do make AGP versions of most PCI cards, but if you look, they're really scarce, and hard to find. AGP, like I said, is on its way out. And since AGP is on its way out, it means he won't be able to upgrade for long. AGP is NOT the most common slot. Now, I'm sure Thrax and Prof have something dumb ass jerk-like to say so....

Also, do some research before you post here, because as I've seen, everyone will hunt you down like dogs if you're wrong. ;) Atleast, I will. And from the way you tried to save the whole page of newegg, I don't think you're well-researched, although I could be wrong. Or maybe you're someone else.

BTW I like ff7 also.
  • edited May 2006
    I choose Intel because they are the #1 Processor producing company EVER
    that is for my own satisfaction :D

that doesn have any facts behind it ... that is just all me LOL

LOL I saved it that way so that my Friend could look at it ... if I was handing him a report on the PC that I just configed that is a new ball-game

cuz check all the PCs
    that dell makes, and gateway makes, and compact makes, and Hp makes, and you will see majority is AGP
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited May 2006
    It feels like I'm back at Icrontic again. I don't even quite know where to start when I begin dismantling your FUD, sentence, by sentence, by sentence.
  • edited May 2006
    whats your inpout about what i should get then thrax??(im aiming for 700-800$$)
    edited May 2006
    Thrax wrote:
    It feels like I'm back at Icrontic again. I don't even quite know where to start when I begin dismantling your FUD, sentence, by sentence, by sentence.
    Like I said, most biased thing I've seen here.