DV9000t

edited July 2007 in Hardware
If it gets approved, HP is replacing my laptop with a DV9000t. I am wondering if anyone knows much about them? I havent found any reviews on them and such. Mine should come with the 2ghz core 2 duo cpu, 2gigs of ram, 100gig 7200 SATA HD, 512meg nvidia 7600go, and the ultra brightview screen. If you know a place where I can find a great review or know something yourself it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
    edited September 2006
    It is pretty much like a dv8000t but has a new case and supports the new Core 2 duo out of the box... they use the same mobo and panel... the dv9000 also has a few more features that the 8000t lacks, like a built in Cam and finger print login... if your into those kinds of things for a laptop I can see why you would buy it.

I also think the dv9000 is a bit slimmer and has some of the ports in different places... oh and it has a HDMI port :)

lol... to sum it up its a really good laptop for the cost :)
    edited September 2006
    Also the 7600 go will have 256MB onboard memory and 256MB Shared from your system memory.
  • edited September 2006
    It says on system specs 512 megs dedicated ram well actually it says discrete which means dedicated not shared right? Since this is a replacement to make the money is spent originally more match what they are giving me as a replacement. It still has to be approved but if it does get approved who says writting the board of directors does no good lol.
    edited September 2006
    Byrds6 wrote:
    It says on system specs 512 megs dedicated ram well actually it says discrete which means dedicated not shared right? Since this is a replacement to make the money is spent originally more match what they are giving me as a replacement. It still has to be approved but if it does get approved who says writting the board of directors does no good lol.

Nvidia does not make a 7600 Go series card with 512MB
  • edited September 2006
    Im just saying what the system specs says on HPs website. It says 512 megs of discrete ram. They might have made it for the oem laptop kinda like intel came out with the T2550 for a low end oem chip or some such i read.
    edited September 2006
    Trust me... on this :) the card is mounted on the Mobo with 256MB of Memory... As much as I want to believe... My Nvidia rep has stated there is no 512MB 7600 Go series cards on the market.
  • edited September 2006
    I would normally agree but that doesnt mean HP as a OEM manufacturer didnt add more ram or just replace the 256meg chips with 512. I cant forsee HP purposely misleading their consumers on whats in the machine. Guess if its approved Ill find out in about 2 weeks or so.
    edited September 2006
    My session with HP Pavillion chat:

Geo: Welcome to HP Total Care for Pavilion Notebooks. It is nice to have you on chat support.My name is Geo.How may I assist you today?
    Mathew Everett: hello I have a quick question about HP's dv9000 series notebook
    Geo: Sure, Please proceed with your enquiry.
    Mathew Everett: the dv9000t comes equipt with a choice of a 7600 Go 256MB and a 7600 Go 512MB graphics card
    Mathew Everett: I want to know if the 512MB version is a true 512MB on the motherboard or does it share memory from the systems Ram
    Geo: It shares the memory from the RAM.
    Mathew Everett: thank you
    Geo: You are always welcome.
    Geo: I hope you have found this session helpful and informative.

I am not trying to directly prove you wrong, I just want to make sure the correct info is being said... I am not called the Graphics Guru for nothing :)
  • edited September 2006
    Then maybe I should be calling my case manager back being that HPs website plainly states its 512megs of discrete ram not 256 discrete 256 shared.
    edited September 2006
    Very True... But to be honest without an increase in the floating point of the Graphics card you are not going to see much of a difference between 256MB and 512MB. Also to note HP won't be able to do anything but apologize as the card they are shipping in that dv9000t is the best card HP offers "currently".

Also the way HP has the shared memory working is if you only use their drivers. If you upgrade to a Nvidia driver instead or an HP provided driver, you will loose the 256MB shared memory option. My 7400 Go Graphics card shipped with 256MB onboard and 256MB shared but once I went with a 3rd party driver I lost the shared memory. Which was fine by me as the new driver gave me better overall performance.

Nvidia's new 7700 Go series card will out perform the 7600 by a bit as they added a higher floating point interface along with a few more pixel pipes "from 8 Pipes to 12" the 7700 also will be the first card out side of the 7900GTX and GS that will sport 512MB memory for laptops.
  • edited September 2006
    Sadly seems like a case of false advertising to me. I mean I can understand where you were coming from when you said it was half shared. I was just going off what they listed as its specs. It apparently got approved so I will be getting this laptop. Guess I could have used the money from the graphics card now in other places since it isnt as I thought it would be. Damn that kinda sucks lol.

I thought the 7400 go came with 128 shared 128 dedicated? Unless youre not talking about the HP model that you got. At least according to their site that one wasnt up to 512.
  • ThermalfishThermalfish Melbourne, Australia
    edited October 2006
    I too am getting a 9000 as a replacement for an 8000. The 8000 had very noisy audio output, and when replaced with the same model, we found it also had very noisy audio output.
    Anyone with the new 9000 or 9000t confirm the quality of audio output when using external speakers or headphones?
  • maxclarkmaxclark In a hole in the ground
    edited October 2006
    Also the 7600 go will have 256MB onboard memory and 256MB Shared from your system memory.............Nvidia does not make a 7600 Go series card with 512MB

i just contacted HP and aksed about their 512MB graphic card and they claimed and said quote: "The 512MB video card in the HP Pavilion dv9000t series notebook computers is dedicated and does not share part of the system memory."...now i am confused a bit:confused2 ...it's not that i don't beleive you or anything...i am just wondering why HP would make that claim if NVidia does not make a 512MB 7600 graphic card?...or maybe the representative i talked to just said what he thought it was...however he seemed pretty positive...
  • Instrument-MechanicInstrument-Mechanic SF Bay Area
    edited October 2006
    I think any laptop is going to have some level of induced noise from the electronics inside... if you want a better sound for headphones consider a usb or express card sound card, like the Turtle beach.

I went through two laptops with HP, and the third was intransit, and they would not meet their own reduced price... so I had to cancel it, refuse the package, and now I am waiting for my HP dv9000t from Costco... check the prices, dont get screwed by HP, and consider the better return policy (6 months)

Also check out that you can get a HD DVD drive, and a higher capacity battery...

About your question, I bet you will hear some small amount of noise from the 9000, just like the 8000
    edited October 2006
    I think any laptop is going to have some level of induced noise from the electronics inside... if you want a better sound for headphones consider a usb or express card sound card, like the Turtle beach.

About your question, I bet you will hear some small amount of noise from the 9000, just like the 8000

I agree! I am a professional audio engineer and accept that a notebook's built-in soundcards are going to be noisy. However I have used several different notebooks in the last few years and none have been nearly as bad.

The HP technician that was sent out to 'evaluate' the issue agreed that it was a hardware fault, most likely incorrectly shielded audio bus or the like. Its no 'small amount of noise'. It is distortion far greater than the 1-5% I would expect.

Another queery I have for those that have the 9000 series already; is anyone experiencing the 'stuck and/or non-registering key' issues with their keyboards? This was reasonably widespread with the 8000 series and others of the Pavillion range. Im wondering if HP have it licked yet.
  • edited October 2006
    Ive spoken with folks on other forums and the DV9000t does have dedicated video ram. So that mystery was solved. As for the keyboard, so far I havent really seen anyone complaining about it. Although a lot of folks machines seem to be on backorder, mine included. Seems the 2ghz CPU is caussing the issue.
    edited October 2006
    I'm telling you the ram is not 512MB on the mobo... it is 256MB.. Hp does not make a Laptop with 512MB of onboard ram.
    edited October 2006
    Back order does stink, I hope I submitted my order before that became an issue...
    I think it is understood that it has video memory, it is about how much, like Sledge said it use half and half 256 + 256. I want to know if the 256mb card uses 128 + 128 or simply 256 straight up, no sharing... Does anyone know?
    I wonder if they are selling the same card with a different configuration (driver) for more money, or is it more on board and shared memory...
    Cause an extra 100+ dollars for a different driver sucks!
    :rant:
    I noticed that no one here is talking about the HD DVD drive, I know it just became available, as well as the extra capacity battery, I wanted one of those when I orderd a week and a half ago, but it was off the website, and now its back:doh:

One review by Laptop Mag says that the video output from the HDMI with the HD DVD drive is not that hot... maybe the 700.00 home player is worth it :rolleyes:
  • edited October 2006
    Well man Im going to have to disagree with you. The website says 512 dedicated as well as people who own the laptop and are looking at it. So if they look at see all of their system ram as well as a 512meg video card then its 512 dedicated.
    edited October 2006
    Well I think that is a good point, How do you know how much RAM the video card has. Is there a difinative way to tell, like a program (cpu-z) or something to that effect.

While on the subject: THese HP Laptops with Dual HDs, they are sata drives, and I have read things about them being in a RAID configuration. Is that adjustable, or can it be made to be? If so what is it set for, 0, 1? I think Dell or gateway offers adjustability on their dual hd lappies.

How about the OS Recovery disc: I was told by HP (taken with a grain of salt) that the HP OS recovery has an image of the win XP mce, home or pro OS that is better than the one that the computer can make. Is this true? Does it have the drivers (which would be great, especially the quick play 2.3 that I have heard is no where to be found)?

Some clarity with a way to prove the whole ram thingy would be excellent!:topic:
    edited October 2006
    Some clarity with a way to prove the whole ram thingy would be excellent!:topic:

Agreed. I hate not knowing. The model being released here (down under) is slightly different from what you guys are getting, but it is still marketed as "512mb dedicated"
    edited October 2006
    Byrds6 wrote:
    Well man Im going to have to disagree with you. The website says 512 dedicated as well as people who own the laptop and are looking at it. So if they look at see all of their system ram as well as a 512meg video card then its 512 dedicated.

so, Byrds6, you are positively sure that the 7600 graphic card is 512MB dedicated and not 256 dedicated plus 256 shared??? i mean, even an a person at HP told me that it is dedicated, and i have no reason to think why HP would want to mislead their costumers...but then at the same time Sledghammer is strongly saying that it is 256MB...who is right??? is it 256 or 512????:confused:
    edited October 2006
    i think also maybe ill contact Nvidia ask if they make a 7600 512MB graphic card.....and see what they say....
  • edited October 2006
    I dont have mine yet to sit and look and go yeah im looking at it. I do know that someone who does owns one posted on notebookreview.com that he was looking at it and it is dedicated. I can not forsee HP, which is at the top of the charts as a computer manufacturer, purposly misleading customers. They know the difference between shared and dedicated ram. When the had the model with the 7400go in it it said it had half and half. This one is not the case. Maybe by the end of the week Ill finally have mine and can say with 100% certianty
    edited October 2006
    yeah, hopefully by the end of the week you'll have yours...then you can tell us and the mystery will be solved...however i do beleive that it is 512MB dedicated, i don't see HP misleading their costumers....but well see when you get yours...it's kinda annoying not knowing ... lol...that rhymes...
  • edited October 2006
    Ive read other posts from people who have the machine and none are saying they got hosed by HP. Im gonna have to say it would be all over the internet if it was shared and it said dedicated.
    edited October 2006
    true...i am positive now it is 512MB dedicated...
    edited October 2006
    As I have said I have talked with a HP rep along with my Nvidia Rep. the card uses 256MB onboard memory as well as 256MB system memory. Now my Nvidia contact has stated that they do not make a 512MB version of the Go 7600 Card. The dv9000t uses the same mobo as the dv8000t they just have the upgraded chipset on them, and that board only supports 256MB memory onboard.

To prove this theory even further my buddy and I have ran the following test. He has just purchased a dv9000t from HP and received it just a few short days ago. Now I had some 256MB memory here, so I figured if the card did use 512MB of onboard memory it should show as 512MB even if there is only a 256MB memory chip in the ram slots. Well after removing the 2Gigs of ram installed in the Laptop and replacing it with the 256MB chip, the laptop booted and the graphics under Dxdiag only showed 256MB for the graphics.

Now the way HP is setup is that you have to have over 384MB of memory before it will share it with the graphics card. We than added one 1 Gig chip in and the system was back to using 512MB for the graphics card.

The reason they are not complaing is because their systems are shipping with 1 Gig of ram :)

I will have him do the test again, and I will provide screen shots... I am not about to take his laptop apart like I did mine as seen here :) also to get to the point where you can see the memory modules on the Motherboard you will have to take your laptop 90% apart and attempt to remove the heat sink and fan from the GPU :)
    edited October 2006
    So one wonders what HP are going to do about it then. Im not particularly bothered myself, but this is the kind of thing to get all kinds of people annoyed.
    edited October 2006
    The card will still run at 512MB which isn't a problem, they only problem here is the wording HP used. TBH the card will not see and increase in performance even if it was onboard rather than shared. I have also taken the liberty to send a comment to HP about the advertising they are using for the card. Even the HP rep already knew it was wrong.....