DV9000t

Comments

• maxclarkmaxclark In a hole in the ground
    edited October 2006
    and will a 1400x900 resolution still look nice and crisp on a 17" screen??
  • Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
    edited October 2006
    If the game lacks support for widescreen the image will be slightly squewed... For me I didn't buy my laptop just for gaming, so that isn't an issue on my end. the extra pixels come in handy when doing my 3D work.

If your buying a dv9000t for only gaming and high end gaming at that.. your going to be disappointed. as it has some of the lowest Gaming benchmarks on the market for 17" notebooks. But it does have the nicest price tag.
  • edited October 2006
    Ive ran the DV8000t as well as the DV9000t on games with the highest settings with no lag. The dv8000t I actually ran World or Warcraft at 1680x1050 at close to max settings with a general FPS at 30-50. The general place where it dropped to 30ish was in a place with high player population such as a city. I currently run DDO at 1440x900 on the DV9000t at the highest settings with a fps 40ish-60ish. Both games support widescreen.
    edited October 2006
    BF2 fails to run at playable rates above anything 1280's on high setting, Company of Heroes will run at Mid range setting at 1400 area but once battles start flowing your Laptop will take a crap. Same with BFME2 with everything boost of Ultra High the game pretty much become unplayable once more than 20 units are on screen. And if you playing games with a Heavy AI forget about it....

I have found most games to run perfectly on 1440 x 900 settings :) but not 1680 x 1050
    edited October 2006
    so then, sledge, do you think that it would be a smart idea, if i wanted to play games, to go for the 1440x900 settings??? and if i do, is 1400x900 good resolution for a 17" screen??? i know that 1680x1050 will be more crisp...but i think that i would rather have a 1440x900 resolution since you say that most games run nice on them...however, if i go for 1440x900 resolution will i be able to play games on high settings, or medium high still with nice detail??
    edited October 2006
    1440x900 will look fine as the standard res on a 17" is 1280 x 1024... Also you should be able to run most games on High at those settings.
    edited October 2006
    so 1440x900 will look good on a 17" screen and i will be able to run games on high settings even with the 7600 graphic card??? so basically, if it were on 1680x1050, it would be almost impossible to play games on high settings since it would be a workout for the 7600??
    and thanks, sledge...you set my mind at ease...:thumbsup:
    edited October 2006
    so yeah, im insecure, lol, but i will be A-OK with running games on high settings on the dv9000t with a resolution of 1440x900 running the nvidia go 7600 graphic card???
    thanks sledge
  • edited October 2006
    Max, I run Dungeons and Dragons online at max settings with the 1440x900 res and its perfectly fine. i get 40-50ish fps as i noticed last night. Youll be happy with the machine once you get it
  • edited October 2006
    Just a thought...

Has anyone with the 256mb 7600 tested maybe a bios update / the drivers for the 512 gpu to see if a 256 card can be made into the 512 version? (256 dedicated+256 shared) I would assume this to be a no-go as they've more than likely burned an ID string into the EPROM that toggles on a switch within the drivers..

I would assume HP has not made this "easy" if they are charging $100 -$125+/- for the driver/bios, or whatever you want to call it.,,, that is if the card is not indeed 512 discrete...

(I'm sort of thinking the base gpu is the SAME, with a module they plug in during assembly... Anyone checked partsurfer latey to see if (2) motherboards /gpu's are indeed offered?)

Heck... here's the listing on partsurfer for the dv9000t.. so it appears there are two differant motherboards used on the dv9000t...

HP PartSurfer
    http://www.partsurfer.hp.com/cgi-bin/spi/main

Weird that the ARE showing two differant system boards with the same price. - if one is 512, and the other only 256, how can they be the same price????) Pricing mistake?

Which of the below is the 512?

434659-001
    $ 388.00
    System board - Features the nVIDIA GeForce Go7600 (G73M) graphics controller - For use with full-featured (FF) model

434660-001
    $ 388.00
    System board - Features the nVIDIA GeForce Go7600 (G73M) graphics controller - For use with full-featured (FF) model
  • edited October 2006
    maxclark wrote:
    so 1440x900 will look good on a 17" screen and i will be able to run games on high settings even with the 7600 graphic card??? so basically, if it were on 1680x1050, it would be almost impossible to play games on high settings since it would be a workout for the 7600??
    and thanks, sledge...you set my mind at ease...:thumbsup:

If it was me, I'd go for the 1680x1050 and run the game at a lower resolution if needed. . Maybe even using an external monitor to game on...

For me I'd rather have the extra screen real-estate on the laptop itself for doing "other" computer tasks....
    edited October 2006
    same here.. 1680 x 1050 gives a bit more working space, and it dosen't hurt to run games at 1440 x 900 on the higher res screen.
    edited October 2006
    so with a higher res, i could still run the games on a 1440x900 setting??? and will the games still look really good??? or will it look better running the games on a 1440x900 setting on a 1440x900 screen resolution?
    edited October 2006
    They will look fine... If you have a 1680 x 1050 you can run any res lower than those numbers...

You are making za bigger deal of this than it should be... any res over 180 x 1024 will look crisp and perfect on a 17" LCD... HP makes some of the best LCD's panels on the market.
    edited October 2006
    You are making za bigger deal of this than it should be... .

sorry :sad2:
    thanks though sledge
    edited October 2006
    Its no problem.. the screens on all HP notebooks look crystal Clear and perfect.. so don't worry :)
  • edited October 2006
    maxclark wrote:
    so with a higher res, i could still run the games on a 1440x900 setting??? and will the games still look really good??? or will it look better running the games on a 1440x900 setting on a 1440x900 screen resolution?

Yes, as noted above by Sledgehammer running at 1440, etc on a 1680 screen will look fine.

I will add though if you're looking for a "gaming" machine, if that is your primary concern I'd go with a DELL 1705 with the 7900GS gpu as it "smokes" the 7600.

The 7900GS igpu is ALLOT faster than the 7600 and the gpu can be "upgraded" to the 7900GTX which is even faster still....

Another "plus" is the:

7900GS is a replaceble part, and the 1705 /1710 case housing is of magnesium alloy...

7900GS "overclocks" well (if needed)...

7600 on the HP is on the motherboard, if it's like the dv8000t - If it dies on you and you'll have to replace the whole motherboard.

PS: The Dells come with a higher screen resolution that "gamers" really seem to like from all the posts I've read.... Lets you see for example greater detail, over a lower resolution screen.
  • edited October 2006
    Dells explode..nuff said plus if its Insperion or whatever i heard bad news...they die..oh man do they die (wireless cards, Motherboards just go ...meh im not going to work anymore);

im happy with my Dv8000t and my 7600 Go..eh its got more power then my 9800 Pro on my computer so i use the laptop more and my PC ..wow hasnt been on in like a month O_O

eh it will prob change when i upgrade my PC to Core Duo 2 and Dx10 :P

just need the monies
    edited October 2006
    so then how long do you think that it would take for the 7600 to die on the dv9000t???

and if you have a warranty from HP for two years, if it dies in those two years don't they have to replace it???

and also i am not looking only to game..i just want a fast computer...and then when it comes to the occasional games i will play...i want them to be played in their highest setting...:)
  • edited October 2006
    well from a PC stand point as long as u dont O/C it ad overheat it, im guessing it could last for a long time

i had a geforce 2 since 1998 and she finally diead on me in 2005 mind u it had overheated really bad the day before..long story that involes a crappy case :|

anyways on that note im gonna say probaly going say for a long time :P No need to worry; if you treat it right
    edited October 2006
    Nvidia cards in laptops have not been known to fail or wear out recently. You just have to figure no matter what Laptop you have in 1 year it will be mostly outdated... No matter what brand you get.
  • edited October 2006
    I am going to make some assumptions, please correct me where I am wrong.

If the video memory is half discrete and half shared then:

1) Windows can see the full 2GB of RAM.
    2) As the OS can see the full amount of memory, then the sharing is taking place at a higher level (This isn't happening in the BIOS, but rather a driver is doing the sharing).

Has anyone tried booting a Linux live CD like Knoppix to see if it can see the full amount of video memory?

linkage: http://www.knopper.net/knoppix/index-en.html
  • edited October 2006
    Ok so I'm new here and have just recently purchased a Dv9000t and it was interesting about the 512mb graphics card and to be honest for me whatever it is there must be some enhanced performance otherwise they would not charge more money, end of story its better than the 256 one.

Anyway Sledge, I have a question about the monitor, I decided to get mine built with the 1400*900 but Ultra Bright View, now this says it has more colors. Does this mean for gaming this is probably the best monitor to have, I am wondering whether in fact it was worth paying the extra money for it or if I should have just went with 1680 screen, I would appreciate your thoughts or anybody elses, when you discussed it before it wasn't stated which 1400 screen you were talking about.

Thanks
    edited October 2006
    In reality both screens are great, I have one with the 1400 x 900 screen and one with the 1680 x 1050 screen... I like the 1680 x 1050 for the pure fact it has more desktop space on the same size monitor. Now this will also depend if your eyes like that res. My wife on the other hand likes the 1400 x 900 laptop as the icons are a big bigger and a bit easier to read. I guess it is just a matter of preference.... Both movies and gaming work wonders on both these laptops :) and the screens are some of the best on the market.. crystal clear and perfect....
  • edited October 2006
    Thanks Sledge, my question is though, do you know anything about the 72% extra whatever it is on the best model, effecitvely I want to know if what I paid an extra $75 was worth it or not, I like you do like Higher Resolutions but wanted the best color and effectively the nicest looking display, but now I wonder........
  • Instrument-MechanicInstrument-Mechanic SF Bay Area
    edited October 2006
    here are some images of a dv8000t with 1440x900 and a dv9000z 1680x1050. the images are taken with both screens turned to max, in direct light and in darkness.
    8000v9000 (44) (Medium).JPG
    8000v9000 (33) (Medium).JPG
    8000v9000 (38) (Medium).JPG

I was all about the high rez, but the ultra bright gives me more outdoor options, and better picture quality with photos. Bigger print is good, but more web page or document space is nice too. I found the Ultra Bright, to be too bright, and the Bright View, to be not bright enough, my compromise is the ultra screen turned down, which works great :thumbsup:
    The 72 percent thing is about the color Gamut. (Ultra BrightView offers an improved color gamut by 72%)
    Here is Wiki on the subject
    "In computer graphics, the gamut, or color gamut (pronounced ˈgæmət), is a certain complete subset of colors. The most common usage refers to the subset of colors which can be accurately represented in a given circumstance, such as within a given color space or by a certain output device."

To me its like a good lcd HDTV vs a Plasma HDTV. both offer a great picture, but the plasma has better, more rich colors. I like the way pictures look on the Ultra because they are more life like... same goes for gaming, since I usually use an HD DLP with my xBox. I really wanted an Ultra bright, WSXGA, but that wont come out untill I cant return my lappy anymore to upgrade :p
    edited October 2006
    Thanks for the images Instrument Mechanic :)

I was going to post some myself.. TBH I like the non ultra bright screen as I hate when things seem to be overly bright when they dont need to be.
    edited October 2006

I was going to post some myself...

you can still post some you know...more pictures is always nice :)
  • edited October 2006
    here are some images of a dv8000t with 1440x900 and a dv9000z 1680x1050. the images are taken with both screens turned to max, in direct light and in darkness.
    8000v9000 (44) (Medium).JPG
    8000v9000 (33) (Medium).JPG
    8000v9000 (38) (Medium).JPG

I was all about the high rez, but the ultra bright gives me more outdoor options, and better picture quality with photos. Bigger print is good, but more web page or document space is nice too. I found the Ultra Bright, to be too bright, and the Bright View, to be not bright enough, my compromise is the ultra screen turned down, which works great :thumbsup:
    The 72 percent thing is about the color Gamut. (Ultra BrightView offers an improved color gamut by 72%)
    Here is Wiki on the subject
    "In computer graphics, the gamut, or color gamut (pronounced ˈgæmət), is a certain complete subset of colors. The most common usage refers to the subset of colors which can be accurately represented in a given circumstance, such as within a given color space or by a certain output device."

To me its like a good lcd HDTV vs a Plasma HDTV. both offer a great picture, but the plasma has better, more rich colors. I like the way pictures look on the Ultra because they are more life like... same goes for gaming, since I usually use an HD DLP with my xBox. I really wanted an Ultra bright, WSXGA, but that wont come out untill I cant return my lappy anymore to upgrade :p

Thanks for your help, I thinhk I am happy with getting the top of the line of monitor, although I would like that extra space too damnit lol.
  • Instrument-MechanicInstrument-Mechanic SF Bay Area
    edited October 2006

I was going to post some myself.. TBH I like the non ultra bright screen as I hate when things seem to be overly bright when they dont need to be.

I am with you on the overly bright thing, I have had both versions of the screen at my disposal (HP complementary 30 day rental policy, when they cant fill your order right!) I found that at night, I absolutely loved the WSXGA, but in the mid day light, or outside, the I always wanted more light output. I compared it to my buddies dv8000t (pictured), and I wanted the flexability. The best part about the ultra bright is you can always turn it down, by keyboard or in the nVidia settings, and digital images explode with color(saturation, deep blue sky, bright yellows, cherry reds) vs the WSXGA, which works, but is slightly dull. I found this by doing alot of head to head comps... the pictures I took dont tell the whole story. :wow2:

I digress... my dv9000t has factory 2x512 ram. When playing Fear (the only shooter I have so far) things run smooth at 1024x768, medium cpu. I get quick spots of hesitation when the game saves a check point, and when I enter a new area... will upgrading my ram to OCZ 2x1024 help? HOw much?
    Also, please suggest my next game purchase (new to PC gaming since my old desk top has On-Board graphics, and I never knew what I was missing:doh: )
    More pics:
    8000v9000 (27) (Medium).JPG
    8000v9000 (17) (Medium).JPG
    hp_dv8075_digi.jpg

Has anyone tried using the input extension on a Optical digital cable like in last pic? What level of sound do you get from the sound card? 2.0 5.1 etc.