DV9000t

Comments

• edited November 2006
    Also the 7600 go will have 256MB onboard memory and 256MB Shared from your system memory.

Not true at all. Nvidia does make a 7600 gs with 512 meg. of ram example. This is 512mb dedicated memory NOT SHARED. I personally inspected the card on my 9000T it has two banks of 256 meg.

btw with optimum overclocking this card on a T7200 processor will get around a 4200 3dmark2005 score. Compared to the high end alien product with dual 7900gs sli they get around 9600 score, but the alien product cost about 1,000$ more:p
  • Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
    edited November 2006
    Jamos wrote:
    Not true at all. Nvidia does make a 7600 gs with 512 meg. of ram example. This is 512mb dedicated memory NOT SHARED. I personally inspected the card on my 9000T it has two banks of 256 meg.

btw with optimum overclocking this card on a T7200 processor will get around a 4200 3dmark2005 score. Compared to the high end alien product with dual 7900gs sli they get around 9600 score, but the alien product cost about 1,000$ more:p

LOL, we went over this many times in this thread if you would have read the entire 5 pages. The Dv9000t my buddy owns does share memory and most others online do not. I have found a total of 3 others that have the same card as my buddies laptop and it does share memory...
  • edited November 2006
    LOL, we went over this many times in this thread if you would have read the entire 5 pages. The Dv9000t my buddy owns does share memory and most others online do not. I have found a total of 3 others that have the same card as my buddies laptop and it does share memory...
    Sorry my mistake..some apparently did come with shared memory. Mine definately does not, it cost an extra 125$ for the additional memory. Apparently the newer ones do come with discrete 512 meg. and yes the 7600 go does not usually come with 512 meg. it looks like a modification to the video chip board where the addtional 256 meg. is attached most likely done by HP (I will try to post a pic of it here), much like what alienware does with its 7900 go chips (they offer 512 meg. and sli options).

btw HP just bought out Voodoo pc so hopefully the voodoo prices will drop.
    http://www.hp.com/united-states/voodoopc/index.html?mtxs=home-hho&mtxb=B2&mtxl=L1
  • edited November 2006
    One hell of a thread I started isnt it Sledge lol. On another note though, do you ever update your mobo drivers and such from other places than HP? Or do you only get your stuff from HP and never a third party?
  • edited November 2006
    regardless of the fact, I see no point of having 512mb of dedicated memory for the vid card. my 6800GT only has 128 or 256, i forget, but on multiple benchmarks moree memory only lead to a small increase in performance
    Simple answer is it is not to increase performance but give the ability to do more complex textures. quake4 for example at its highest settings require 512 meg. vram to handle its textures.:thumbsup:

if you look at the progression of 3d games most started out requiring 16 meg. ram, then 32 meg., then 64, now most have minimum of 128. I am sure it soon will be minimum 256 in the near future for games.
  • edited November 2006
    Lets say i swap out the 2gb memory for some third party memory, how much can i increase performance ?? and what are some good third party memory upgrades and cost ..
  • edited November 2006
    Wiggy wrote:
    Lets say i swap out the 2gb memory for some third party memory, how much can i increase performance ?? and what are some good third party memory upgrades and cost ..
    The memory that comes with your 9000t is running at 667 mghz. which is the same as your motherboard so you will not get any benifet from swapping it out. Unless you can find some really good low latency memory but the benifit will be barely recognizable. If you can find some 2 gig. chips you can increase it to a maximum of 4 gig. but they are pretty expensive right now and hard to find especially 2 gig. 533 memory. DDR2 533 runs at 667 mghz.
  • edited November 2006
    O ok, so your saying no third party ram i buy will increase performance unless i up to 4gb :eek:
  • edited November 2006
    OK need some help fast :confused2 other than hp.com and costco.com where can i costomize and order a dv9000t .. HP.com does not accept international credit cards and costco.com is out of stock on costomizable models :wow2: so is there another site i can get it asap ?
  • edited November 2006
    Since when does the DV9000 handle up to 4gigs of ram?
  • edited November 2006
    Sorry your right the 9000t does not support 4 gig. I was thinking of the alienware nvidia turon laptop.
  • edited November 2006
    Kk just making sure my memory was correct in the fact 2 gigs is max
  • edited December 2006
    Hi,
    I'm about to order this laptop but I have some questions :confused2 about the HDMI output:
    1. Does it work just for having std windows apps on your HDMI external TV (to work on digital pictures with ACDSee for example) or is it only for HD DVD output?
    2. What is the resolution you end up with on your laptop LCD when you also have the HDMI output activated?
    3. Where did you buy HDMI cables for a good price?
    Thanks
  • Instrument-MechanicInstrument-Mechanic SF Bay Area
    edited December 2006
    the HDMI output is just like the standard vga output, it will make any resolution that the monitor and GPU can handle (up to 1920x1080) although the laptop cant display that. I use my dv9000t with my 720p DLP, and the best resolution it makes is like 1176x700... due to 1280x720 not fitting on screen due to over scan. The best tv will be the new 1080p models. the HDMI is pure digital, whereas the VGA has been converted to analog signals. For good product at reasonable prices check out bluejeanscables.com dont pay for expensive monster cables... the ones and zeros cant tell the difference
  • edited December 2006
    So you are saying that the dv9000t comes with the HDMI even without the HD DVD> That's great.
    I have a plasma TV 50" and the VGA resolution is 13??x??? (I can't remenber rigth now...:cheers: ). I hope it's OK
    Thanks anyway for your reply
  • Instrument-MechanicInstrument-Mechanic SF Bay Area
    edited December 2006
    So you are saying that the dv9000t comes with the HDMI even without the HD DVD> That's great.
    I have a plasma TV 50" and the VGA resolution is 13??x??? (I can't remenber rigth now...:cheers: ). I hope it's OK
    Thanks anyway for your reply

Your Plasma is most likely 1366x768... but almost all consumer tv sets have some overscan, meaning that you dont see all 1366x768... so when you connect your laptop to it, you will have to shrik the screen resolution to fit. If you get the laptop with the nVidia GPU, and you use the HDMI, the laptop should give a good choice of resolutions that will fit. HDMI does a digital handshake between devices, so your laptop will know what TV it is plugged into. Also your set may have a pc mode, mine did, and it allowed a 1280x720 screen, but it was smaller overall than in standard video mode...
    Yes the 9000t should have a HDMI regardless of HD DVD drive, which I read is not that hot, so may not be worth the 400.00+ dollars Also consider that the PC desltop is rather still, and static images may wear out Phosphors in your Plasma, so dont leave it on all the time, or you may see ghost images on your set (some newer plasmas have technology to fix the issue)
  • QizQiz
    edited December 2006
    In the process of buying a DV9000 and I'm wondering if I should go with AMD or Intel?! Any ideas? Hardly play any games on my computers. Music and movies and some poker and I do download a fare amount of stuff so I have it on a lot. Would appreciate all kinds of help!
    Thanks in advance
  • edited January 2007
    Doesn't look like anyone's written to this topic in awhile, but was hoping someone could help me out. I just received my dv9000t for Christmas and last night I was playing Age of Empires III for 2-3 hours or so. When I was finished I looked and my power adapter wasn't working, and the ring around the entry point wasn't lit up either. I felt the adapter and it was pretty hot so I unplugged everything and let it sit overnight. Plugged everything back up this morning and it worked, but just was curious if anyone else has had this problem. Surely the adapter is made for extended use! Any comments, suggestions or help would be appreciated. Just would like to know whether or not I should contact HP with this.
    edited January 2007
    where you playing witht he power adapter plugged in to the Laptop?
  • edited January 2007
    where you playing witht he power adapter plugged in to the Laptop?

Yeah, is that a problem? I don't know about you, but my battery doesn't last for 3 hours.
  • CurmudgeonCurmudgeon The Great Northwest U.S.
    edited January 2007
    Yeah, is that a problem? I don't know about you, but my battery doesn't last for 3 hours.
    Hmmm!

I ran my 9000t last night for about an hour to see a short DVD video, using the standard 110v power supply. When I shut it down, the PS was quite warm - not super-hot, but VERY warm. Next time I use it, I will check it's temperature over some period of time and post it.

IMO, no off-the-shelf power supply should get that warm under normal load conditions.

<GRUMP>
  • edited January 2007
    It hasn't done it since, but I haven't really used it for that long since either, so I don't know. I'll definitely keep an eye on it from now on.

I had a Pavilion zx5040 that had horrendous power supply issues, related to the power jack soldered onto the motherboard. I sent it into HP probably 5-6 times until my warranty finally ran out, then I was screwed. Eventually wound up hard wiring part of the cable to the board, creating an external plug of sorts, which worked.

SO, needless to say I'm concerned about this issue and keeping my fingers crossed that it was just a fluke-type thing.
  • edited January 2007
    Let me first start by saying, I just bought the dv9000t off the HP website, and opted for the 512mb option. It looked pretty "dedicated" to me when I bought it on the website. But now I guess I do notice the tricky word "discrete" which probably covers them from any false-advertising allegations. It doesn't say exactly "dedicated". (Honestly, I feel I was mislead as a consumer, it's annoying that I had to do all sorts of research to come to the conclusion that they just use tricky wording to make you think you're getting some awesome product, when you've been looking for laptops that don't share system memory)
    I wouldn't be surprized that the HP I just talked to could've been misinformed, but I just talked to an HP Rep. He said it's dedicated 512mb.
    That being said, Sledgehammer70 proved to me with his test, that the system-RAM-Sharing technology NVIDIA has made for this card, only uses the system ram when it needs it, so you won't notice it when you go to System Properties in windows, etc.
    Here's my question. Without downloading "third party drivers", is there any way to turn that sharing off? I really only want a laptop with dedicated video memory. I'm not interested in crazy graphics performance, I just don't want anything graphics-related touching my system ram. ever. (or some process or hardware constantly assessing the situation, possibly taking away from the full access speed that I want my OS/apps to have to my RAM).
    Tell me what you guys think. To vent a little, and I hope this doesn't sound like a rant, but it's like: I think a lot of people want dedicated graphics memory. Not even a lot of dedicated memory. How many different stupid ways do these manufacturers have to come up with, to NOT give people what they want? First they start off sharing, then they come up with TurboCache, now, they don't even tell you they're sharing, and if you kinda know what you're doing, you look at the system properties, see that you have your full 2gb of ram, you're like "wow! It really is fully dedicated."
    It seems misleading not only on HP's part, but also on NVIDIA's.
    But enough of the rant. Any way to turn it off or what?
  • edited January 2007
    I dont think there is an option to turn anything for the ram off. Sledge showed his had shared ram but at the same time mine does not. The same test Sledge did by only putting in a 256meg chip in the system to get the video card to show less than 512 ram I did and mine still had the 512 on video card even with only 256 in the system itself. If your system has a way to lower ram it would be in the BIOS.
  • edited February 2007
    I too am getting a 9000 as a replacement for an 8000. The 8000 had very noisy audio output, and when replaced with the same model, we found it also had very noisy audio output.
    Anyone with the new 9000 or 9000t confirm the quality of audio output when using external speakers or headphones?

It probably sucks pretty bad. During normal operation, a constant squeal comes out of the Altec Lansing speakers. You can totally tell it's the on-board speakers, it's definitely not a fan. It sounds exactly like my old compaq when i used to hook it up to my hp docking station with altec speakers. it sounds like they're always on. even when you turn off the volume in windows or use the hotkey, even when you turn the button-noise off in the BIOS. it drove me nuts on my compaq and it drives me nuts on my dv9000t. i'm literally about to return this thing. other than that it's great. but the noise is like *real* bad. like i'm about to return this thing if i still can kinda bad.

If you're an audiophile you'll need something sheilded. (But don't expect to get a Cardbus soundcard!! There is no cardbus on this machine. It's ExpressCard. Annoying.)

Get a nice USB sound card. I use a tascam US-122 it works great, although you can probably get the creative usb soundcard and it'd work just as good for what you're doing.
  • ThermalfishThermalfish Melbourne, Australia
    edited February 2007
    dx2xxdd wrote:
    It probably sucks pretty bad. During normal operation, a constant squeal comes out of the Altec Lansing speakers. You can totally tell it's the on-board speakers, it's definitely not a fan. It sounds exactly like my old compaq when i used to hook it up to my hp docking station with altec speakers. it sounds like they're always on. even when you turn off the volume in windows or use the hotkey, even when you turn the button-noise off in the BIOS. it drove me nuts on my compaq and it drives me nuts on my dv9000t. i'm literally about to return this thing. other than that it's great. but the noise is like *real* bad. like i'm about to return this thing if i still can kinda bad.

If you're an audiophile you'll need something sheilded. (But don't expect to get a Cardbus soundcard!! There is no cardbus on this machine. It's ExpressCard. Annoying.)

Get a nice USB sound card. I use a tascam US-122 it works great, although you can probably get the creative usb soundcard and it'd work just as good for what you're doing.

Hahh yeah, well, its been quite some time since I bought the 9000 now :)
    But you are absolutely right, if anything, the sound was worse than the 8000. Even with top of the line RME sound devices there was still an annoying whine coming from the system (I dont think I have unreasonable audio demands from a 'multimedia' laptop, but I do all sorts of sound stuff on it, its my job!).
    Thing is, the whole problem was solved by having a quality power supply built. Cost a bit, but was worth it!

Im still somwhat suprised that there isnt complaints about it all over the net as it seems to be a pretty popular laptop. I think people are willing to put up with certain things! Love my 9000 but looking forward to my new Dell.
  • edited February 2007
    Just ordered my HP Pavilion dv9000t yesterday. I will use this for gaming but also to connect to my Mitsubishi HD1000U projector via HDMI. Now the projector is a HD 720p unit (Looks amazing!) so I am hoping the laptop will output 1280x720 !
    I went with the 1680x1050 17" scree, C2D 2G 4Mcach, 2G 667mhz memory, 256M Nvidia 7600 and the 100g 7.2k HD
    At $1723 it was the best deal out there for me. Sure the Dell monitor was 1920x1280 and I could get a 7800 but that was about $300 more and no HDMI !
    I could have used a HDMI to DVI converter but the PJ only has VGA so then that added another adapter :(
    I'll report back when I get the thing (March 5th ship date :() and post some pictures of WoW on the 100" screen :D
  • edited February 2007
    <table valign="top" bgcolor="#cccccc" border="0" cellpadding="4" cellspacing="1" width="560"><tbody><tr class="small" bgcolor="#e7e7e7" valign="top"><td><nobr>434673-001</nobr></td> <td align="right"><nobr>230.00</nobr></td> <td><table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tbody><tr><td>2.4X Parallel-ATA (PATA) High-Definition (HD) DVD-ROM optical drive - With SuperMulti DVD+-R/RW double layer support</td></tr></tbody></table></td></tr></tbody></table>
    Also how can the HD DVD be so cheap on partsurfer? I didn't get the HD unit but for $230 I sure would order on and add it!
    Problem you can't add it to cart :sad2:
    edited February 2007
    Gravelayer wrote:
    <table valign="top" bgcolor="#cccccc" border="0" cellpadding="4" cellspacing="1" width="560"><tbody><tr class="small" bgcolor="#e7e7e7" valign="top"><td><nobr>434673-001</nobr></td> <td align="right"><nobr>230.00</nobr></td> <td><table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tbody><tr><td>2.4X Parallel-ATA (PATA) High-Definition (HD) DVD-ROM optical drive - With SuperMulti DVD+-R/RW double layer support</td></tr></tbody></table></td></tr></tbody></table>
    Also how can the HD DVD be so cheap on partsurfer? I didn't get the HD unit but for $230 I sure would order on and add it!
    Problem you can't add it to cart :sad2:

You can get the HD DVD drive for the 360 :) if your lappy will support the connection.
  • edited February 2007
    Well I don't want the 360 :) But would like the HD DVD drive so I could play HD DVDs on my laptop and put it through to my projector :D

I'll be getting a Wii anyway :)

Thing is ordering the laptop the HD DVD was a $400 add on. It lists for cheaper on partsurfer