DV9000t

Comments

• Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
    edited October 2006
    The more ram you provide your games the better, I can see an increase in speed as windows itself will suck up 300MB and your game will use more than 700MB if you allow it.

I noticed the ram I bought for mine has climbed up over $30 per chip more now. I guess I bought at the right time.
  • edited October 2006
    Also, please suggest my next game purchase (new to PC gaming since my old desk top has On-Board graphics, and I never knew what I was missing

Depends what kind of games you like, I would recomment Neverwinter nights 2 which comes out in a couple of weeks if you like RPG type games where you develope your characters abilities. Oblivion again is a very good RPG, althought I have this on the XBOX360, but it is very good. I am not really a FPS, so other good games are those like civilization 3 and Age of Empires 3.
    edited October 2006
    BF2142 was just released :) I am hearing good thing about the final product, aside from the grips of in game ad's
  • maxclarkmaxclark In a hole in the ground
    edited October 2006
    if you get the BF2142, sledge, perhaps you could tell us how it runs on your dv9000t????? :)
  • edited October 2006
    Hi, could you advice for non-gamers, if say watching movies & HD clips is the main criteria - which screen would be better & why, thanks
    edited October 2006
    BF2142 runs on my dv8000t with a 7600 on medium settings no lag at 1440x900 "which is the highest res"... I will get my buddy to install it if he hasn't and report back how it runs.

As for Movies and HD clips I think you will like thw 1680 x 1050 screen as the more image the better, and the closer to full HD you will get :) I love watching movies on my Laptop as it is so crisp and clean.
  • Instrument-MechanicInstrument-Mechanic SF Bay Area
    edited October 2006
    Baron007 wrote:
    Hi, could you advice for non-gamers, if say watching movies & HD clips is the main criteria - which screen would be better & why, thanks

I agree with Sledge about the higher rez being best suited for HD clips, however DVDs are only 720x480p. I think you should also consider where and when you will view the material, cause you may want to watch in a well lit room or during the day (room not blacked out), the 2 lamp screen will give you more flexability. Light output wise, HDTV are more like the ultra brights output (even brighter though) or they would get returned since they would be hard to see in the average living room during the day (I still dont watch mine in complete light, it sucks for video quality) Also consider that HD
    comes in 3 flavors 720p, 1080i, and 1080p. 1080p is only available on Bluray, and soon on HD DVD, neither of which can be played on this lappy unless you get the HD DVD drive option, which I would not reccomend because I read it does not make that great a picture, and for the price you could almost by a stand alone home player which perhasps may look better(and it doesnt burn discs:mean: ). Also, HD DVD may not become the next VHS, so I would wait on the HD DVD/ Blu ray Disc front. that said, 720p is 1280x720 progressive, and it looks great, like most Plazmas on the market. Only newer DLPs and LCDs are at 1080p, and many of those upconvert their image to fill the whole 1920x1080 progressive screen. And since their are few 1080p sources or material, the point is not much of a concern to you. 1080i is what most people see on broadcast HDTV from CSI to HBO HD, it is interlaced, which means you only see half the frames at a time, since they refresh quickly, the human eye cannot see the interlacing (which is all SDTV content in 640x480) a 1440x900 is more than any 720p HDTV, and they look killer. Best option would be a mythical WSXGA+ Ultra bright, that HP doesnt make (for now)
    Sorry so LONGGGGGGGGGGGG....:eek3:
    edited October 2006
    You are more than able to DL HD content these days :)
    edited October 2006
    does anyone know if the altec lansing speakers on the dv9000t are good???with nice sound quality???
    edited October 2006
    I think the speakers are decent for windows sounds :p and for casual music or movies. They dont get very loud without distortion, and they lack bass, but I think they are good for laptop speakers, but I have not had a laptop with a mini subwoofer and or multi driver arays (like Qosmio). I am happy with them.

Note: They are located at the top of the keyboard, but otherwise sound like like the dv8000s. I like that I can angle the screen down and create a sort of horn like speaker (propels sound outward and makes it slighlty louder!)
  • edited October 2006
    i'm sorry for going back to the issue of the graphic card, i cant say who is wrong but i sent an email to hp to ask them about the RAM and the graphics card and they replied as follows:

My email was:

"I want to know if the 2 GB (2x1024) DDR2 memory offered with
    the dv9000t notebook is 533 MHz or 677 MHz ?
    and also I have a question about the NVIDIA GeForce 7600 go graphics
    card with 512Mb (also offered with dv9000t), is the 512Mb shared memory
    (256 shared + 256 on board) or discrete memory (all memory on board) as
    written on your website?, as NVIDIA doesn't manufacture a GeForce 7600
    go 512MB discrete memory while Hp offers 512Mb discrete??"

Their reply:

Thank you for using Hewlett Packard Customer Service.

Regarding your queries about the RAM it is 2GB with 677 MHz, and for the graphic card it has nVIDIA
    G73M PCI Express x16 lane graphics controller with 512MB discrete memory.

Best Regards,

Hewlett Packard Customer Service

anyone wants the real email, give me your address and i'll forward it.

I've been reading threads and looking everywhere for like a month to know whats right i couldnt be 100% sure of anything, but i am with sledge's oppinion (i dont know why) about the card being shared even if they replied the opposite.

thank you and my dv9000t will arrive in 3 days

XP Home
    intel core 2 duo 7200 (2.0GHz)
    Display ultra brightview (1440x900)
    go 7600 512mb
    webcam
    2.0 Gb DDR2 RAM
    100 Gb 7200 rpm hard drive
    lightscribe
    bluetooth
    no TV tuner
    high capacity 8 cell battery

i know i know.. too long and maybe boring but its my first post ever :)
    edited October 2006
    I think they had 2 varients o fthe dv9000t with the 7600... as both of our compared laptops are way different.
  • edited October 2006
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_NVIDIA_Graphics_Processing_Units

This is also an URL to wikipedia, it includes every card manufactured by nVIDIA in a big list and it includes a 7600 go with 512mb.

there is a column in the list which includes info about the max memory for every type of the cards, you'll find that if the card shares memory its written.
    edited October 2006
    Titos wrote:
    there is a column in the list which includes info about the max memory for every type of the cards, you'll find that if the card shares memory its written.

That column only tells you what sizes of memory that series card offers. Not if it shares memory or not.
  • edited October 2006
    LOL I thoguht this was a dead subject these days. Sledge may be correct with the two versions of the card. I stopped worrying about it when I figured out for sure mine was 512megs discrete ram.

BTW Sledge that problem I had with the memory in the laptop performing sub par is now gone. I added a line into the boot ini and now its getting 8mbs speed ratings. From what I read on laptopvideo2go it should have been there because its a duo cpu. All is now right with the world lol, well maybe not the world but certianly in my laptop.
  • edited October 2006
  • edited November 2006
    There has to be two different boards for the DV9000t being it has a 256meg vid card option and a 512meg vid card option
  • edited November 2006
    Byrds6 wrote:
    There has to be two different boards for the DV9000t being it has a 256meg vid card option and a 512meg vid card option

That's the point I was trying to get across... If there's (2) boards listed and the model has two differant GPU options listed... one would have to be for the 256, the other for the 512....

Very weird though they are the SAME price... Same price would sort of support the theory the 512 version is not using true dedicated ram... that the 256 board and the 512 board are the same and they've done something in the "bios" special (burned an ID string in the EEPROM) that makes the 256 version into the 512 ver (256 dedicated +256 system ram =512)

Doesn't make much sense to price a 256 version, and the 512 at the SAME price if the 512 is running 512 dedicated. Most likely cause for the pricing is someone screwed up, that the 512 board in more $$$$$... and that the 512 ver is indeed 512 on the board.

Strange also in the description NO mention is made on which board is which:

434659-001
    $ 388.00
    System board - Features the nVIDIA GeForce Go7600 (G73M) graphics controller - For use with full-featured (FF) model

434660-001
    $ 388.00
    System board - Features the nVIDIA GeForce Go7600 (G73M) graphics controller - For use with full-featured (FF) model

PS: For the benefit of all, would you please list the lines you added to the boot.ini file? Provide a link to the info?
    Byrds6 wrote:
    the memory in the laptop performing sub par is now gone. I added a line into the boot ini and now its getting 8mbs speed ratings.

One way to clear all this up would be to contact HP like Titos above http://www.short-media.com/forum/showpost.php?p=433249&postcount=162 , and ask HP what are the part numbers for the 256 and the 512... (which is which, and verify the numbers)

Once they get the numbers, match it up to the above to confirm, Then contact HP and get them to explain why the price is the same...
  • edited November 2006
    It has already been proven that the 512 board I have is dedicated ram. It doesnt require anything else to prove it. Sledge says his is shared. So other than the two different boards for the 256 and 512 versions there has to be a third version somewhere. Just like Sledge placed a 256 meg memory chip in his machine to see the drop to 256 meg vid card I did but there was no drop. DXdiag the video cards stats and all stayed at 512.
  • edited November 2006
    hi i have some little con with hp online help?

20:11:48 System
    Initial Question/Comment: Hi I wonder 512mb NVIDIA GEFORCE GO 7600 is sheared or not on the pavilion 9000t
    20:12:55 System
    Lisa has joined this session!
    20:12:55 System
    Connected with Lisa
    20:13:05 Lisa
    Thank you for contacting the HP Home & Home Office Store chat.
    20:13:06 Ahmet
    hi again
    20:13:59 Lisa
    Ahmet how are you doing today my name is Lisa I will help you right now.
    20:14:37 Lisa
    Please hold while I look for the information you requested.
    20:16:29 Ahmet
    hi are there any one here
    20:18:10 Lisa
    Yes here is the complete information,512MB NVIDIA(R) GeForce(R) Go 7600 The NVIDIA(R) GeForce(R) Go 7600 with 512MB discrete video memory delivers best-in-class graphics and performance for gaming and video applications. The 7600 enables ultra-realistic gaming and video application effects without compromising performance. Featuring advanced NVIDIA(R) PureVideo(TM) technology, the GeForce Go 7600 GPU also brings stunning, high-definition video playback and superb picture clarity. Rip t
    20:20:14 Ahmet
    ok thanks one more quetion: ram is DDR 533 or DRR2 667?
    20:21:00 Lisa
    So if you want to order now I will send you the URL right now and you can customize with 512MB NVIDIA(R)GeForce(R).I will tell you right now.
    20:22:24 Ahmet
    i order one week later from here but not know there lots of speculation about this notebook so i want to clear my mind..
    20:23:10 Lisa
    What are you looking for as I can build the right solutions for you.
    20:24:55 Lisa
    Are you there Ahmet.
    20:25:00 Ahmet
    my second question is about ram you didt give enough information about hp pavilion 9000t in your web site WHA ABOUT RAM
    20:25:40 Lisa
    I will just provide you with the information please be online with me.
    20:27:10 Lisa
    Here is the information,DDR2 is the latest memory architecture with flexible memory bandwidth up to 8.5 GB per second. Dual Channel is only supported when the system is configured with DDR2 symmetric memory (i.e. 2x256MB). The 512MB memory allows you to work on several applications simultaneously and also enhances your ability to access larger files.
    20:27:59 Lisa
    256MB NVIDIA(R) GeForce(R) Go 7600 The NVIDIA(R) GeForce(R) Go 7600 with 256MB discrete video memory delivers advanced 3D graphics and video features. The 7600 enables ultra-realistic gaming and video application effects without compromising performance. Featuring advanced NVIDIA(R) PureVideo(TM) technology, the GeForce Go 7600 GPU also brings stunning, high-definition video playback and superb picture clarity. Rip through all of today's most advanced and cutting-edge games and applica
    20:29:45 Ahmet
    thanks i cant get answer which i want... so my last word that the ram has 667 or 533 wHICH ONE?
    20:30:10 Lisa
    Please hold while I look for the information you requested.
    20:32:55 Lisa
    We have 512MB SDRAM(2x256MB),1.0GB DDR2 SDRAM (2x512MB),2.0GB DDR2 SDRAM (2x1024MB) These are the three options the first one is included in the price the second one is the free upgrade and the third one will be for $135.00.
    20:34:08 Ahmet
    but i wonder that these ram has 667Mhz or 533Mhz?
    20:35:20 Lisa
    Please bear with me while I provide you with the information.
    20:36:36 System
    Connected with Lisa
    20:38:56 Lisa
    One moment please.
    20:40:36 Lisa
    It is 667MHz.
    20:41:15 Ahmet
    thank you for your help
    20:41:36 Lisa
    Do you have any further questions?
    20:42:02 Ahmet
    no thanks...
    20:42:31 Lisa
    Once you place the order please send the order number as I can look into your cart and see that everthing is perfect.
    20:42:41 Lisa
    Thank you once again for using HP Home & Home Office Store chat.
  • edited November 2006

Chat session above sounds like they are reading off the site the specs listed instead of tech info.. (big suprise there!)

• ThermalfishThermalfish Melbourne, Australia
    edited November 2006
    Been using the 'Down Under' version of DV9000 for a week now, and Im pretty pleased with its performance. Love the screen. Love how quiet it is. Hate the 'beep' when using the touch buttons :D
    The sound issue I had with the DV8000 is similar. However Ive tracked it down to 'dirty' DC from the power transformer. Of course the battery is putting out very pure DC, so its only a problem when plugged into mains AC.
    It seems this is happening with nearly all the notebooks in the Pavillion range.
    Unfortunately, even if the notebook had a PCMCA card, the DC hash would interfere with that as well.
    The solution is to purchase an external sound card. However the firewire chipset is incompatible with many of the 1394 audio systems available, so you'll have to hunt down a USB2 solution.
    Another possibility is inserting an resistance/capacitance filter to clear up the hash on the audio line. Im yet to experiment with this.
  • edited November 2006
    I am about to buy a dv9000t, the only questions I have is regarding the high capacity battery. Has anyone purchased it and is it physically larger than the original battery or the same size? About how much extra batter life does it provide (% or hours)? Thanks in advance for all your help.
    edited November 2006
    As per HP site:
    The High Capacity 8-cell battery will provide extended usage time as compared to the standard 8-cell, thanks to it's 2.55 AHr cells (2.2 AHr on the standard battery). Recharges within the notebook using your AC adapter...
    2.2 vs 2.55 (2.2/2.55=0.86) 14% improvement.
    Laptop's review reported 2.75 hours from a dv9000t, without mention of the high capacity battery (2.75*1.14=3.135) .38 hrs or 23 minutes improvement and that is with the WiFi turned on

I think any extra time would be worth the upgrade price, especially when you cant plug in :bawling:

Did anyone else notice that reviews of the Core 2 Duo laptops from HP have the faster processor (2.16Ghz) speed and sometimes the T7400 listed...
  • edited November 2006
    What do you guys think about the shakey lid when it closes. saw a vid review and it looks rather shakey for real :confused:

http://www.veoh.com/videoDetails.html?v=e147190TgdyrPmt

Any comments are welcomed :cool2:
    edited November 2006
    Wiggy wrote:
    What do you guys think about the shakey lid when it closes. saw a vid review and it looks rather shakey for real :confused:

http://www.veoh.com/videoDetails.html?v=e147190TgdyrPmt

Any comments are welcomed :cool2:

yeah i saw that too, it did look abit shakey...but other than that i must say that the dv9000t looked very sexy with it's black and silver coloring (the black was obviously prone to fingerprint marks:()....but it looked really nice...and even if the lid is a bit shakey , it can't really affect the preformance of the machine, or so i would think...it's cool that they did a video review about it...cool link Wiggy!:thumbsup:
  • edited November 2006
    Yup, it shouldnt be too much of an issue .. just a peace of mind rest at ease kinda thing.

I must say i have watch tonns of laptop review vids and trust me non are as sexy as the HP DV series, not even Sony comes close, even Acers Ferrari line doest look as sexy, the DV is just a Sexy Beast :clap: Im ordering mine 2mrw :ausflag:
  • ThermalfishThermalfish Melbourne, Australia
    edited November 2006
    ^ Yup, it sure draws comment with it's looks.
    Shaky lid doesnt bother me at all. Its really only a millimeter or so of lateral movement on mine.
    Outside of it's performance, what is really growing on me about this lovely is how quiet it is! Beautiful!
  • CurmudgeonCurmudgeon The Great Northwest U.S.
    edited November 2006
    Questions from a wannabee dv9000t owner.

After reading through this thread, I am convinced that I will order a custom db9000t. Now, I am trying to keep the entry price as low as possible, and upgrading when I have additional cash available.

Based on what I have seen here, RAM, and hard drive can be upgraded after purchase. It also looks like the graphics processor is NOT upgradable.

The questions:
    1a. Has anyone confirmed that it is possible to upgrade from a single hard drive to the dual drive? Are all the required parts (brackets, cables, etc) available?

1b. Given that question 1a is affirmative, if an 80GB drive was in the original order, does the second drive need to be 80GB also?

2. I assume that the Intel Core processor is NOT upgradable. TRUE?

3. Can the ExpressCard TV tuner & remote be added later?

4. I notice that HP offers 90Watt AC/DC power supplies, but they say nothing about what the output voltage and current values are. I own a BatteryGeek 130 Watt-hour power supply with 2.5 amp max, and both 9 volt and 12 volt output. I have a supply of connectors for it. Hopefully :cool: , one of them will fit the 9000t. Does anybody see any problems with using this thing?

TIA
  • edited November 2006
    Curmudgeon wrote:
    Questions from a wannabee dv9000t owner.

After reading through this thread, I am convinced that I will order a custom db9000t. Now, I am trying to keep the entry price as low as possible, and upgrading when I have additional cash available.

Based on what I have seen here, RAM, and hard drive can be upgraded after purchase. It also looks like the graphics processor is NOT upgradable.

GPU is NOT upgradeable... buy a Dell 1705...

The questions:
    1a. Has anyone confirmed that it is possible to upgrade from a single hard drive to the dual drive? Are all the required parts (brackets, cables, etc) available?

A: The only thing needed is the hd bracket. SATA hard drive should plug right in.. but you do need the bracket to keep stress off the motherboard /hd connectors..

1b. Given that question 1a is affirmative, if an 80GB drive was in the original order, does the second drive need to be 80GB also?

A: No... I had a 100+ a 120 gig in a dv8000t

2. I assume that the Intel Core processor is NOT upgradable. TRUE?

Offically NO, cpu upgrades are not "supported" by HP... and the cpu is in a hard place to get to... Can it be done? (maybe), but I'd check HP Partsurfer to see if the SAME motherboard is used.. and the same bios.... Sledgehammer70 swapped a Cored Duo 2, into a dv8000t

3. Can the ExpressCard TV tuner & remote be added later?

Better options on the market.. I'd go for a HDTV tuner

4. I notice that HP offers 90Watt AC/DC power supplies, but they say nothing about what the output voltage and current values are. I own a BatteryGeek 130 Watt-hour power supply with 2.5 amp max, and both 9 volt and 12 volt output. I have a supply of connectors for it. Hopefully :cool: , one of them will fit the 9000t. Does anybody see any problems with using this thing?

As long as the outputs, plug is ok, I see no reason why not... Round plug on the end AFAIK has no "feedback"? circuit that "id's" the p/s..

TIA

See above sections in bold...

Check HP Partsurfer for parts listing:

http://www.partsurfer.hp.com/cgi-bin/spi/main

HP hard drive caddies /brackets:
    http://www.newmode.us/caddies/HP.htm