DV9000t

Comments

• Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
    edited October 2006
    Well I know what the NVIDIA site says, as that is why i was confused that HP told me 256MB and 256MB and than this laptop says 256MB and 256MB… Either or would like to assume HP made some with and without, as shown in my post and Byrds6.... I am not going to take apart the dv9000t and see what the ram chips are :) so they mystery will be solved in this laptop that I have.
  • Instrument-MechanicInstrument-Mechanic SF Bay Area
    edited October 2006
    SikiTtOyA wrote:
    this 4 instrument and airborn who have trouble reading. hence the little 1 asterisk. read more carefully plz.

OK so you are saying that if the site says no Turbo cache, then it must be 512MB... OK I thought you had found something that directly states the memory capacity. I guess it is a good asumption that it can be 512MB, but why would HP reps say two different things to different customers, especially since they would want to promote the product, not under rate it.
    This does also mean I beleive everything they say, after all, I have been lied to by HP :shakehead

Someone should run 3dMark on this card and report their numbers, as well as this card in 256Mb form to compare the performance difference.
  • edited October 2006
    I personally dont know why Sledges comes up as 256. I know mine is for sure 512 dedicated. Seems a bit odd to me but hell I guess in the end it doesnt matter, I got what I thought I ordred and wanted. So its all good.
  • airbornflghtairbornflght Houston, TX Icrontian
    edited October 2006
    regardless of the fact, I see no point of having 512mb of dedicated memory for the vid card. my 6800GT only has 128 or 256, i forget, but on multiple benchmarks moree memory only lead to a small increase in performance
  • edited October 2006
    small increase large increase the keyword is increase. As for what one person wants to the next or how much of an increase was never a debate as everyone has their own opinions and desires. You might not see a point in it but others will see one. The debate was dedicated or shared and that has now been settled
  • edited October 2006
    hp reps have no clue, the real people behind it are the ones u dont talk to, technology is always changing therefore they can say this is in the laptop and now this is in the laptop. the hp online techies only know what is in front of them written already on the screen and cant think 4 themselves. i circled it in nvidia and it clearly states that only the 7200-7400 models support turbocache so therefore its obvious that the 7600 models and higher are completely dedicated.
  • maxclarkmaxclark In a hole in the ground
    edited October 2006
    agreed:thumbsup: it's dedicated...completely
  • edited October 2006
    I was working on my coworkers new dv8000. When checking it out, I went into the bios. In one section it had a switchable parameter concerning the video memory. The two choices were sideband and UMA+sideband. This system did have 128MB of dedicated memory for the video. It did say the UMA+Sideband uses system memory with the dedicated.

My personal dv8000t with the Go 7600 does not have that option in the bios. It has 256MB of discrete memory for the GPU. It would be interesting to see if those two systems others are trying to compare have the bios switch like above or not.
    edited October 2006
    hey i am not sure if someone else has put this up or not, but there is a cool site where they are "unboxing" the dv9000t...http://www.neo-fight.tv/2006/09/unboxing_the_hp_dv9000t.html it is pretty slick looking, i can't wait till i get mine....:thumbsup:
    edited October 2006
    SikiTtOyA wrote:
    hp reps have no clue, the real people behind it are the ones u dont talk to, technology is always changing therefore they can say this is in the laptop and now this is in the laptop. the hp online techies only know what is in front of them written already on the screen and cant think 4 themselves. i circled it in nvidia and it clearly states that only the 7200-7400 models support turbocache so therefore its obvious that the 7600 models and higher are completely dedicated.

Nvidia does make a 7600 and a 7700 GPU that uses Turbo Cache! So your point is void and the webpage is wrong... I physically saw these cards in Las Vegas! The reason behind them was to keep the cost down “kind of like budget mid range cards”
    edited October 2006
    and you saw this in Las Vegas???
    edited October 2006
    I did! at a trade show just 6 months ago.. I tend to go to any shows in the remote area that sport Graphics cards.

I will also be headed to SF "hopefully" for GeForce Lan 3
    edited October 2006
    anyway...i am confused about whether or not it is 512 dedicted or not...and i think i have given up trying to figure what it is...lol...i just hope it is 512 DEDICATED:)
  • edited October 2006
    Just a thought...

Has anyone with the 256 7600 tested maybe a bios update / the drivers for the 512 gpu to see if a 256 card can be made into the 512 version? (I would assume HP has not made this "easy" if they are charging $100 -$125+/- for the driver/bios, or whatever you want to call it.,,, that is if the card is not indeed 512 discrete... (I'm sort of thinking the base gpu is the SAME, with a module they pull in during assembly... Anyone checked partsurfer latey to see if (2) motherboards /gpu's are indeed offered?)

HP PartSurfer
    http://www.partsurfer.hp.com/cgi-bin/spi/main

Weird that the ARE showing two differant system boards... same price...

434659-001
    $ 388.00
    System board - Features the nVIDIA GeForce Go7600 (G73M) graphics controller - For use with full-featured (FF) model

434660-001
    $ 388.00
    System board - Features the nVIDIA GeForce Go7600 (G73M) graphics controller - For use with full-featured (FF) model
  • edited October 2006
    so sledge, u r saying nvidia is wrong and their very own webpage is wrong? are u saying nvidia is lying about their own products too? all i here u talk about is bable and not prove any of your opinions. all u saw at las vegas was probably a protoype even if what u say is true, its obvious that they made the final version different, 6 months is a long time and it clearly states at nvidias website that the earlier models r the only ones that support turbocache, NOT the 7600 models and higher, u r now talkin out ya a** cause u know your point is invalid and all your talk is nonsense.

To also add a final point i have a dv9000t, i checked in bios, i checked usin direct x, i checked the sys, i checked nvidias drivers, they all say 512, and in my task manager, my physical memory is 2gig and i have 1.85 free. if i was usin shared memory it would be alot lower prolly around 1.7 or so, especially with all the resources im usin for the touchpad, quickplay and all the other programs im runnin.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited October 2006
    Actually, what Sledgehammer tends to report about video cards is accurate. He has inside contacts at nVidia that give him information that few of us are ever privy to; including private demonstrations from nVidia directly. He's had more experience with video cards in a few months than most of us get in years.

Sikittoya, please be a little more polite in your commentary, especially when it's evident you know very little about a member and the way we conduct ourselves on this website.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited October 2006
    Again, I respectfully suggest that perhaps there are two SKUs for your model. I also trust sledge, he's an industry insider, and he knows what he's talking about. I don't doubt you guys either... Please, as Thrax said, don't stoop to childish retorts like "u r now talkin out ya a**". Replies like that certainly don't lend you any credibility.

Did it ever occur to anybody that perhaps you are both right?
    edited October 2006
    SikiTtOyA wrote:
    so sledge, u r saying nvidia is wrong and their very own webpage is wrong? are u saying nvidia is lying about their own products too? all i here u talk about is bable and not prove any of your opinions. all u saw at las vegas was probably a protoype even if what u say is true, its obvious that they made the final version different, 6 months is a long time and it clearly states at nvidias website that the earlier models r the only ones that support turbocache, NOT the 7600 models and higher, u r now talkin out ya a** cause u know your point is invalid and all your talk is nonsense.

To also add a final point i have a dv9000t, i checked in bios, i checked usin direct x, i checked the sys, i checked nvidias drivers, they all say 512, and in my task manager, my physical memory is 2gig and i have 1.85 free. if i was usin shared memory it would be alot lower prolly around 1.7 or so, especially with all the resources im usin for the touchpad, quickplay and all the other programs im runnin.

Thanks Thrax...

As for most if not all of the Pavillion series, if the card uses shared memory it will only show when the card is in need of that memory, hence why your PC isn't showing lower amounts of ram available. I now have 4 HP laptops in front of me as I type this all sporting either a 7400 Go with 256MB of memory "128MB onboard and 128MB shared, and the other 2 are 7600's with 256MB of memory. The dv9000t I had in my possession is back in it owners hands as I have fulfilled my tests on it. But I will note on all the models that share memory... Not one of them again NOT ONE OF THEM! Shows the usage subtracted out of the physical Ram, they all have 2GB of Ram and all report using 300MB to 380MB which is pretty standard for windows XP with Service PK 2. Now if you put only a 128MB ram chip in the laptops that share 128MB it will drop the card down to 128MB, but if you have over 512MB it will show 256MB… Now the system says it has 256MB of memory but it is really only using the 128 until the other chuck is needed… a brilliant tech created by Nvidia….

Now I know for a fact these cards share memory but yet all the info in the bios, directX tabs and in any other test they all show this system to have integrated Ram… So how do you truly know? You physically take the PC apart and look for yourself… which I have done on a dv8000t a dv5000t and now a dv9000t…

Now I do understand the other points that there’s is 512MB of memory but I will also state again the model I have again the one I HAVE... that was shipped with a 7600 512MB graphics card only has 256MB of memory standard and shares the rest…
  • edited October 2006
    did anyone else notice the difference in the names of the cards on the screen shots of Sledge's and Byrd's systems?

Sledge - Nvidia Geforce Go 7600XG Mobileforce
    Byrd's - Nvidia Geforece Go 7600

Drivers are also different, but I supsect Sledge is not running HP drivers? is that correct?

One other question

is the Ultra BrightView 1440 x 900

better than

BrightView 1680 x 1050

I do regular online gaming (Asheron's Call 1 ) but could see myself watching TV or Movies in the future from time to time? Which Screen would be best for my uses?
    edited October 2006
    As for the Card name on my buddies Laptop we are using the latest drivers from Tweaksrus. These drivers are titled XG Mobileforce.

I personally went for the 1680 x 1050 as I wanted the most work space I could get. Either way the games will look fine on either of the screens as you wont be pushing super high detail on any game at 1680 x 1050 on these laptops.

So I would go for the 1680 x 1050....
    edited October 2006
    what do you mean by "you wont be pushing super high detail on any game at 1680 x 1050 on these laptops."
    edited October 2006
    For games liek Oblivion and Company of Heroes & HL2 you will not be able to run the games at 1680 x 1050 oin high settings...
    edited October 2006
    so one who has a screen resolution of 1680x1050, won't be able to play those games on their highest settings???...and this thread is long...lol
    edited October 2006
    oh yeah...and why not???
    edited October 2006
    The Laptop cannot put out what is needed to run the game on full graphics at 1680 x 1050 on highest setting. Now some games might run with lag, but others will fall to their knees... the 7600 just can't push 1680 x 1050 at a descent Frame rate for today’s high end games.
    edited October 2006
    hmmm...that makes me want to rethink about getting the dv9000t...cause i think that i would want to run the games on full settings...then what kind of graphic card would be able to handle the games on full settings for a screen with a resolution of 1680x1050...???
    edited October 2006
    TBH most game don't support 1680 x 1050! a 7900Gs card in laptops can't even run Oblivion on full graphics.... when you buy a laptop you take a big hit in graphics.... unless you buy a Alienware, XPS, Sager etc...

HP lacks massively on the gaming PC front hence why they just bought Voodoo
  • edited October 2006
    You'd probably need to go with a mobile 7900 or mobile SLi set up. You can get laptops with these at alienware, sager, dell and a few other places. However, be prepared to pay well over $2500 once you start maxing out the gpu.
  • edited October 2006
    On a side note - Sledge, do you think it is definitley worth upgrading to the Tweak R Us drivers? I am still using the pre-installed HP drivers (which can play Half Life 2 at 1680x1050 surprisingly). Basically I'm wondering 2 main things about the tweak drivers: (1) Will they push my system to hard? and (2) How much "real world" performance increase are we talking about do you think? If its an extra 2 FPS then I'll prolly not worry about it, but if its an extra 15 - 30 I'll switch.
    edited October 2006
    then do you think that customizing the dv9000t on 1400x900 will make a difference?...and if you don't run the game on high settings on the 1680x1050resolution will that result in the screend size of the game being smaller than the size of your screen? or will the game's graphics just be not as detailed as it would have been on high settings?? and yeah, alienware and those big gaming companies are to expensive...i think the only games i would be playing would Battle for Middlearth, Battlefield2 and such...