Movie Thread

Comments

• KoreishKoreish I'm a penguin, deal with it. KCMO Icrontian
    edited December 2009
    I saw it in 3D first, it was actually a little disappointing I didn't feel like there was much jumping out at me.
  • edited December 2009
    It was shrew to build up (@ ten reels), but made for one of the fastest flying three hours of my life.
  • AlidraAlidra Metro Detroit Icrontian
    edited December 2009
    7:30 is toooo far away!!! :(:(

Stupid jobs....
  • AlexDeGruvenAlexDeGruven Wut? Meechigan Icrontian
    edited December 2009
    Alidra wrote:
    7:30 is toooo far away!!! :(:(

Stupid jobs....

inorite. Stupid bosses, and their stupid... work.

Looking at 8:30 or 11:40 tonight, myself.
  • AlidraAlidra Metro Detroit Icrontian
    edited December 2009
    inorite. Stupid bosses, and their stupid... work.

Looking at 8:30 or 11:40 tonight, myself.

Have to hit the 7:30... have work in the morning, and the movie is 3 hours long!!!
  • _k_k P-Town, Texas Icrontian
    edited December 2009
    stupid work? I told my boss I really didn't want to be there one day and he told me to go home whenever I wanted to because it didn't matter.
  • csimoncsimon Acadiana Icrontian
    edited December 2009
    Movie was great I loved it and will see it again soon.
  • UPSLynxUPSLynx :KAPPA: Redwood City, CA Icrontian
    edited December 2009
    Koreish wrote:
    If asked how to describe Avatar right now I would just smile and say nothing. I'll put this into perspective not once have I ever felt the need to go see a movie again in theaters. I would totally be up for seeing it on Imax this time rather than 3-D.

do you have any IMAX around where you live in Missou? I hear there is one somewhere in the D, and we're all gonna be in the D in a week... and just sayin'.

After the biggest box office weekend in HISTORY, AVATAR has clocked in at 615 million dollars worldwide. Even at the rumored 500 million pricepoint, it's nothing but profit at this point. Under two weeks time, 615 million, with Lord knows how much farther to go.
  • SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    edited December 2009
    Subsequent weeks/months of IMAX showings, HBO deals, DVD and Blu-Ray releases... This movie will make buckets and BUCKETS of money, hand over fist.
  • TiberiusLazarusTiberiusLazarus Icrontian
    edited December 2009
    UPSLynx wrote:
    and we're all gonna be in the D in a week...

This holiday season consider opening your hearts and your wallets to those less fortunate. Little Bobby has never had the chance to learn the difference between a week and 4 days. Your donation of just 49 cents per day can help children like Bobby learn and grow.

Also, I might be up for seeing that in imax.
  • kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited December 2009
    UPSLynx wrote:
    After the biggest box office weekend in HISTORY, AVATAR has clocked in at 615 million dollars worldwide. Even at the rumored 500 million pricepoint, it's nothing but profit at this point. Under two weeks time, 615 million, with Lord knows how much farther to go.

I'm sure if you were to look at the Studio's books the movie would be still at an astronomical loss.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited December 2009
    Fuzzy math is afoot.
  • chrisWhitechrisWhite Littleton, CO
    edited December 2009
    kryyst wrote:
    I'm sure if you were to look at the Studio's books the movie would be still at an astronomical loss.

I think you're dead wrong but that's just a guess, I'm not sure they've paid for the movie yet but I'll bet this one keeps a strong presence in theaters the next two weekends. Add movie sales down the line and this may be the biggest success since Titanic. All speculation on my part though.
  • kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited December 2009
    Lets keep in mind that according to the Studios LoTR lost money - hence the whole lawsuit thingy. I wasn't really trying to pick a fight or state fact. It was more a snide comment based on you know Movie Studio Asshatery in the past. They tend to have ways of cooking the books to show that movies, regardless of how successful, continue to run at a loss.
    edited December 2009
    Very true, but as much as they may show a loss they're still making movies at outrages costs, I have a feeling most are in the black and the end of the day.
  • PreacherPreacher Potomac, MD Icrontian
    edited December 2009
    chrisWhite wrote:
    I think you're dead wrong but that's just a guess, I'm not sure they've paid for the movie yet but I'll bet this one keeps a strong presence in theaters the next two weekends. Add movie sales down the line and this may be the biggest success since Titanic. All speculation on my part though.

First off, the movie really was outstanding. The story, characters, and writing were very good. Nothing about them struck me as earth-shattering though...other than a strange attraction I've picked up to giant, blue, striped women with tails. However, the technology, both 3D and CGI, and the design and considerable thought that went into the ecology of Pandora were the best I have ever seen.

Avatar STILL has a strong presence here in VA, MD, and DC. Rex and I tried unsuccessfully to see it twice over the weekend. It was not only sold out for the time slot we were trying to see, but for two more after. We finally managed a late show last night after buying tickets 3.5 hours early. It was well worth the 14$ tickets...I'm taking the Mrs on Thursday.
  • ardichokeardichoke Icrontian
    edited December 2009
    Preacher wrote:
    ...other than a strange attraction I've picked up to giant, blue, striped women with tails.
    Oh god... I think Preach just stumbled upon James Cameron's true intent. He's not out to be preachy about environmental issues, he's trying to train a whole new generation of furries!

HE MUST BE STOPPED.
    edited December 2009
    ardichoke wrote:
    Oh god... I think Preach just stumbled upon James Cameron's true intent. He's not out to be preachy about environmental issues, he's trying to train a whole new generation of furries!

HE MUST BE STOPPED.

I'm TELLING you guys. The greatest feat Jim Cameron pulled off with this film is causing thousands upon thousands of people to fall in love with a 10 foot tall blue alien. He is quoted very specifically that he designed Neytiri to be the ideal 'woman'. "she's gotta have tits" was something he said in prepro.

Lord, what has he done.
  • KoreishKoreish I'm a penguin, deal with it. KCMO Icrontian
    edited December 2009
    Lynx I've seen it every which way it can be seen and I'll still be willing to see it in Detroit.
  • csimoncsimon Acadiana Icrontian
    edited December 2009
    "'Yo Neytiri, I’m really happy for you, I’ll let you finish, but Beyoncé has one of the best videos of all time. One of the best videos of all time!'"
    edited December 2009
    Preacher wrote:
    Avatar STILL has a strong presence here in VA, MD, and DC. Rex and I tried unsuccessfully to see it twice over the weekend. It was not only sold out for the time slot we were trying to see, but for two more after. We finally managed a late show last night after buying tickets 3.5 hours early. It was well worth the 14$ tickets...I'm taking the Mrs on Thursday.

Yeah, it's been nuts here too, my family tried to go Sunday afternoon to an IMAX showing and it was sold out a few hours before. We decided to see a Monday showing and it was sold out until 10:30 PM a day before. schedules cleared up for last night and it was sold out Monday morning until the 10:30 PM showing. We finally got tickets to tonight Monday afternoon.

And yes all, I admit it, Cameron has definitely made me attracted to giant blue alien women, Neytiri anyway.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited December 2009
    csimon wrote:
    "'Yo Neytiri, I’m really happy for you, I’ll let you finish, but Beyoncé has one of the best videos of all time. One of the best videos of all time!'"

Csimon is my favorite person of the WEEK.
  • _k_k P-Town, Texas Icrontian
    edited January 2010
    If you haven't seen it I would recommend Sunshine. Good Earth is going to die and we have to save it at all cost movie.
  • DogSoldierDogSoldier The heart of radical Amish country..
    edited January 2010
    I doubt Avatar needs my recommendation.. So I'll second _k_ with Sunshine. It's one of my favs.
  • GrimnocGrimnoc Marion, IN
    edited January 2010
    Danny Boyle > James Cameron (at least now anyway).
    edited January 2010
    Grimnoc wrote:
    Danny Boyle > James Cameron (at least now anyway).

what a completely ignorant and irresponsible thing to say.
    edited January 2010
    Hmmm, maybe a little rudish (which I didn't intend it to be) but definitely not ignorant or irresponsible as I've seen the majority of both director's major films. However, I do mean it to be more a recommendation of Danny Boyle than a condemnation of James Cameron.
    edited January 2010
    As an pseudo-aside I totally agree with the recommendations for Sunshine.
  • PreacherPreacher Potomac, MD Icrontian
    edited January 2010
    DogSoldier wrote:
    I doubt Avatar needs my recommendation.. So I'll second _k_ with Sunshine. It's one of my favs.

Watched Sunshine last night. Neither I nor Mrs. Preacher were impressed at all. I can't name a single aspect of the plot, characters, special effects, story, etc that I liked.
  • WinfreyWinfrey waddafuh Missouri Icrontian
    edited January 2010
    Preacher wrote:
    Watched Sunshine last night. Neither I nor Mrs. Preacher were impressed at all. I can't name a single aspect of the plot, characters, special effects, story, etc that I liked.

I liked Sunshine, but I understand where you are coming from. I watched it with some other people that absolutely hated the movie. Especially the science parts of it, the whole "it's minus 273 degrees celcius! We gotta hold our breaths!" part was pretty lame. I mean it would be cold, but definitely not absolute zero.