Movie Thread

Comments

• KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian
    edited October 2009
    I was sorely disappointed by Paranormal Activity. It was entirely predictable. Nothing about it scared me.
  • kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited October 2009
    Paranormal Activities would have been better if I wasn't exposed to so many like movies, not even talking about the most immediate comparison to Blair Witch. For what it was, it was ok. It's exactly what I thought it would be.

It's definitely not a movie that you need to see in the theater. Unless you want to be swept up with the audience reactions, which admittedly can be fun. Some people where leaving brown bricks in their seats.
  • KoreishKoreish I'm a penguin, deal with it. KCMO Icrontian
    edited November 2009
    I just learned that Boondock Saints 2 isn't being released in KC and it fills me with much rage. Anyone seen it?
  • ZenModeZenMode Royal Oak, Mi Icrontian
    edited November 2009
    Paranormal Activity would've been better (or less frustrating) if it wasn't full of Micah "Brostyle" Sloat making terrible, ego-fueled decisions the whole time.
  • KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian
    edited November 2009
    Yeah, Micah was a douche.
  • ObsidianObsidian Michigan Icrontian
    edited November 2009
    I saw Drag me to Hell on Halloween. I thought it was supposed to actually be good. The only thing "good" about it was how obnoxiously bad it was.
  • AnnesAnnes Tripped Up by Libidos and Hubris Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    edited November 2009
    I think what people really liked about it was the twist at the end. They don't usually end on such a note and it's so refreshing when they do.
  • MAGICMAGIC Doot Doot Furniture City, Michigan Icrontian
    edited November 2009
    I loved drag me to hell. Come on, demon infused talking goat? Doesn't get much better than that for my money.
    edited November 2009
    Annes wrote:
    I think what people really liked about it was the twist at the end. They don't usually end on such a note and it's so refreshing when they do.
    I sure hope that's sarcasm.

That goat was easily the highlight of the movie though, I laughed pretty hard.
  • AlidraAlidra Metro Detroit Icrontian
    edited November 2009
    Paranormal Activity!!! After mentioning that I get terrible motion sickness, and being assured it was nothing ike Blair Witch... I found the most frightening thing to be figuring out where I was going to toss my cookies in the theater... It could have been better.
  • GrimnocGrimnoc Marion, IN
    edited November 2009
    I thought Drag Me To Hell was one of the best movies of this year (discounting indie & foreign films). I guess it really depends on whether you like Sam Raimi's style of humor.
    edited November 2009
    It's all opinions but put me in with the Drag Me To Hell being horrible camp. Easily one of Raimi's worse, certainly his worse recently. It wasn't scary when it was supposed to be scary. It wasn't campy when campiness was needed. It dropped the ball on almost every chance it had and the few times it came close to getting it right you could see where he clearly ripped off his old ideas only not as well. After watching it I still can't believe it was Rami that did it. It felt more like a poor imitation of someone ripping of Rami. Just terrible.
    edited November 2009
    kryyst wrote:
    It's all opinions but put me in with the Drag Me To Hell being horrible camp. Easily one of Raimi's worse, certainly his worse recently. It wasn't scary when it was supposed to be scary. It wasn't campy when campiness was needed. It dropped the ball on almost every chance it had and the few times it came close to getting it right you could see where he clearly ripped off his old ideas only not as well. After watching it I still can't believe it was Rami that did it. It felt more like a poor imitation of someone ripping of Rami. Just terrible.

I'll totally agree with the whole "it wasn't scary when it was supposed to be scary" bit. At the very least I think the decision to market it as a scary movie was horribly misplaced.
  • ShortyShorty Manchester, UK Icrontian
    edited November 2009
    Drag me to hell worked best on the big screen in the dark cinema. It was great in that environment!

Saw UP! again at the weekend. What a film. <3 Pixar
  • PreacherPreacher Potomac, MD Icrontian
    edited November 2009
    Shorty wrote:
    Drag me to hell worked best on the big screen in the dark cinema. It was great in that environment!

Saw UP! again at the weekend. What a film. <3 Pixar

^^

How does Pixar make such great movies? They are the cinematic equivalent of sex....even bad sex/Pixar movies are GOOD!
  • KoreishKoreish I'm a penguin, deal with it. KCMO Icrontian
    edited November 2009
    Cars aside,which is still decent, are there any bad Pixar films?
  • MAGICMAGIC Doot Doot Furniture City, Michigan Icrontian
    edited November 2009
    Monsters Inc = Best pixar movie ever.
    edited November 2009
    I know it's not Pixar but I have to say Tale of Despereaux is probably my favorite CGI based kids movie. I like it better then all the Pixar ones, better then all the Disney ones and better then Shrek. I feel I can say this with some authority as my daughter is 2 and when I have seen all of them now more times then I can count both in part and in full.
  • PreacherPreacher Potomac, MD Icrontian
    edited November 2009
    I thought both Cars and Monsters, Inc. were great, but I have to go with Cars over MI. However, I think my favorite is Incredibles...still love superheroes! My least favorite was Ratatouille. It was ok at best in my book. Although I thought they came back STRONG with WALL-E and Up.
  • chrisWhitechrisWhite Littleton, CO
    edited November 2009
    Oh man, Ratatouille is probably my favorite one, well, before UP anyway. I friggen' love that film. Least favorite would probably be A Bugs Life or Toy Story 1 & 2 (I know...I know).
  • SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    edited November 2009
    I loved Ratatouille.
    edited November 2009
    First off : Chris, you're crazy.
    Second: I agree with Magic that Monsters Inc. is probably their best movie. Toy Story is damn close.
    Third: I didn't think Up was all that special.
  • mas0nmas0n howdy Icrontian
    edited November 2009
    Cars can DIAF.
  • chrisWhitechrisWhite Littleton, CO
    edited November 2009
    So many people hate Cars, I really enjoyed it. :shrug:
  • _k_k P-Town, Texas Icrontian
    edited November 2009
    Uh GI Joe, could of been better if there was more female butt. The whole cleavage thing was going strong but nothing from down south:(
    edited November 2009
    My personal favorite is Toy Story. I just can't get past that one. :)
  • UPSLynxUPSLynx :KAPPA: Redwood City, CA Icrontian
    edited November 2009
    Pixar going on in this thread? Relevant to my interests.

Chris isn't crazy, Ratatouill is one of the finest examples of storytelling within the animation medium. I love it.

My favorite... Wall-E. Can't believe no one else has mentioned it. No animated film has made me cry more than that one.

There, I said it.
    edited November 2009
  • WinfreyWinfrey waddafuh Missouri Icrontian
    edited November 2009
    I got it beat pretty easy.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/_4oRHc7TUX0&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/_4oRHc7TUX0&hl=en&fs=1&&quot; type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>