Movie Thread

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited November 2009
    I watched the movie "Moon" today. I wish I had seen it at the theatres. It was a pretty subtle sci-fi film, and I enjoyed it.
  • chrisWhitechrisWhite Littleton, CO
    edited November 2009
    Winfrey wrote:
    I got it beat pretty easy.

and I thought I was the only one who ever saw that film. I laughed my ass off the first time through it, the second time not-so-much
  • chrisWhitechrisWhite Littleton, CO
    edited November 2009
    Thrax wrote:
    I watched the movie "Moon" today. I wish I had seen it at the theatres. It was a pretty subtle sci-fi film, and I enjoyed it.

I can't wait to see Moon, i was so disappointed I missed it in theaters.
  • AlexDeGruvenAlexDeGruven Wut? Meechigan Icrontian
    edited November 2009
    Seriously looking forward to catching 'The Men Who Stare At Goats'. I love Clooney in comedy, and I think they've put together a fantastic overall cast that should be just plain great to watch work together.
  • PreacherPreacher Potomac, MD Icrontian
    edited November 2009
    Seriously looking forward to catching 'The Men Who Stare At Goats'. I love Clooney in comedy, and I think they've put together a fantastic overall cast that should be just plain great to watch work together.

And besides, who DOESN'T love a good goat movie?! I just caught Gran Torino finally. That was a good movie. Clint Eastwood has made some good cinema in his later years.
  • HarudathHarudath Great Britain Icrontian
    edited November 2009

Went to see that last Wednesday... Not a fantastic film but its really entertaining, imo. Lots of I-see-what-you-did-there referance potential :p
  • GrimnocGrimnoc Marion, IN
    edited December 2009
    So who's interested in seeing The Road? Anyone? Just me?

I was reading Cormac Mccarthy's "Blood Meridian" early today when I was reminded that I'll be able to see it in two weeks.

Fairly smart (hopefully), post-apocalyptic movies for the win!
  • csimoncsimon Acadiana Icrontian
    edited December 2009
    I'm excited about Avatar ...I think it will be cool.
  • ObsidianObsidian Michigan Icrontian
    edited December 2009
    csimon wrote:
    I'm excited about Avatar ...I think it will be cool.
    There's no way it's going to earn back all the money they wasted making it.
  • KoreishKoreish I'm a penguin, deal with it. KCMO Icrontian
    edited December 2009
    While I think it's going to be a great movie because James Cameron is directing and they have a bunch of relative unknowns (definitely not big names) I just don't think it's going to live up to all the hype they've been building. And like Obsidian mentioned it can't possibly pull a big profit though it may break some of the records The Dark Knight set last year.

The point being I'm excited for it and I've been nerding myself up for it since the start of the month.
  • WinfreyWinfrey waddafuh Missouri Icrontian
    edited December 2009
    Did any of you see The Fantastic Mr. Fox? I got to see it over Thanksgiving and thought it was a fun flick. Apparently it doesn't stay true to the book as some fans wanted, but it contains the spirit of Roald Dahl books for certain.
  • edited December 2009
    Watched Invictus this evening. Great poem, however the movie was nothing special.
  • SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    edited December 2009
    Rumor has it Avatar doesn't suck.
    edited December 2009
    Snarkasm wrote:
    Rumor has it Avatar doesn't suck.

There will be haters, regardless.

I plan to catch it in IMAX 3D, myself. My skull hasn't been shattered in a while. Figure this would be as good an opportunity as any.
    edited December 2009
    I read a moment ago that Cameron is planning two sequels. I think it will do ok.
    edited December 2009
    I just watched "The Fifth Element" at ICHQ. It was my second viewing ever...and I'm not quite sure how I feel about it, which as I recall was my exact reaction when I saw it for the first time.
  • ardichokeardichoke Icrontian
    edited December 2009
    I saw half of Fight Club on TV last night. I've only seen that movie once before. Seeing only half of it gave me the compelling desire to watch the whole thing. Sadly Netflix didn't have it for streaming, it was after midnight so no video stores were open and neither Meijer's or WalMart had it in stock. It ruined my night.

Then I decided to watch The Evil Dead on Netflix streaming instead. It partially redeemed my night.
    edited December 2009
    Grimnoc wrote:
    I just watched "The Fifth Element" at ICHQ. It was my second viewing ever...and I'm not quite sure how I feel about it, which as I recall was my exact reaction when I saw it for the first time.

Oh man, it's just such a fantastic movie. So much fun. I've probably seen it literally about 20 times.

Even so long after its original release, I think it still stands up quite well.
    edited December 2009
    ardichoke wrote:
    I saw half of Fight Club on TV last night. I've only seen that movie once before. Seeing only half of it gave me the compelling desire to watch the whole thing. Sadly Netflix didn't have it for streaming, it was after midnight so no video stores were open and neither Meijer's or WalMart had it in stock. It ruined my night.

Then I decided to watch The Evil Dead on Netflix streaming instead. It partially redeemed my night.

The Evil Dead's are fantastic!
  • Cliff_ForsterCliff_Forster Icrontian
    edited December 2009
    Obsidian wrote:
    There's no way it's going to earn back all the money they wasted making it.

People said that about Titanic.

If initial reviews are any indication, Avatar is actually going to be worth seeing. If word of mouth after the initial release is good, more people will see it, and some people will go to the theater two or three times.

James Cameron is one of those filmmakers, the guy really doesn't make bad films.
    edited December 2009
    The trailer for Avatar looked pretty mediocre but it is Cameron and I'm always willing to give him a shot.

So yeah, probably gonna see it at an IMAX.
  • edited December 2009
    People said that about Titanic.

One thing Titanic and Avatar certainly have in common at this point (other than the obvious) is that both of their pre-sales were virtually nil. Titanic hit the box offices about a week late and then would never go away. It will be interesting to follow the ebb and flow of Avatar as well.
    edited December 2009
    I've been reading Avatar reviews all morning.
  • Cliff_ForsterCliff_Forster Icrontian
    edited December 2009
    Grimnoc wrote:
    I've been reading Avatar reviews all morning.

The initial promos had me disinterested, but the reviews are overwhelmingly positive. It appears Avatar is a must see. Not sure if I will sqeeze it in prior to the holiday, but I will definitely plan to see this.

Now, do I think I can do the Imax 3D presentation without causing a massive migraine. (prolonged stereoscopic 3D tends to give me a headache)
  • kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited December 2009
    Despite the reviews I just really have no desire to see Avatar. I haven't seen any trailer or PR yet that sounds interesting. Some of the technology that went into making this movie I think is awesome but overall I just don't see the draw to it.
  • kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited December 2009
    Just watched The Goods: Live Hard, Sell Hard.

This is a kind of dirty/dark comedy about a bunch of Used Car Salesmen. It stars Jeremy Piven and a bunch of other immediately recognizable B actors. If you like moves that are a little mean spirited like Drop Dead Gorgeous. Then you should love this movie. By the end my guts hurt and my eyes were tearing up from laughter.
  • AlidraAlidra Metro Detroit Icrontian
    edited December 2009
    Going to see Avatar tomorrow! I'm kinda geeked after seeing a 4 min trailer for it last night. Dragging some of the best guys I know to see movies with! I'm sure the kids will be geeked <3
  • KoreishKoreish I'm a penguin, deal with it. KCMO Icrontian
    edited December 2009
    If asked how to describe Avatar right now I would just smile and say nothing. I'll put this into perspective not once have I ever felt the need to go see a movie again in theaters. I would totally be up for seeing it on Imax this time rather than 3-D.
    edited December 2009
    I think I'll take in a matinee today since I'm off. Wifey wants to see it too so I'll take her maybe Sunday if we can get a sitter.
    edited December 2009
    Koreish wrote:
    If asked how to describe Avatar right now I would just smile and say nothing. I'll put this into perspective not once have I ever felt the need to go see a movie again in theaters. I would totally be up for seeing it on Imax this time rather than 3-D.

Why not IMAX 3D? That's the one I'll be hitting tonight.